TOO MANY POV Issue

Writing for Newbies : Fanfic Writing Made Easy
Please log in to read the full chapter

I was reading a story of a new writer and new Pinay dongsaeng when I noticed that there were three POVs in her story. Technically there were two First Person POV (male and female main characters) and the Third Person POV right in the middle of all that. 

So in order not to make this really confusing, I hope that in your stories and novels, go Plan 1, Plan 2 and Plan 3. 

Plan 1 : Stick to just one First person POV. 

You can choose which main character you want to use as your narrator. It's important to know the limitations of what a person can know. So some of the feelings and motivations of the other characters can only be guessed at or assumed by the character. It adds to the foreshadowing when you use that since the character would also be surprised with the turn of events or plot twists. This POV can't know everything so be careful not to make it seem like your main character is a psychic who can read minds or know things that happened somewhere where he or she didn't even go. 

Plan 2 : Choose the Couple POV (as I would call it).

This is when in one novel you use the POV of the main couple interchangeably. It is best to use one POV per chapter. This would let you write something else in the next chapter from the perspective of the other character. 

If you chose to use the two character's POV in the same chapter. Please be very careful not to make it to confusing for readers. 

Most of the time people who write in fanfic would place the name of the character before the start of the shift. 

In traditional novels they use a different method. They CAPITALIZE the first word of the paragraph that starts the POV shift. 

For example : This is kind of a third person + first person 

"LARA made me do it!" Jimin was not sure whether this was a good idea or not. Maybe having this much love for someone was really toxic. 

[Insert a scenario here where Jimin talks to his friend Namjoon about how hard it is to love an evil woman.]

LISTENING to what Jimin really thought of her was painful and upsetting. Lara knew that she wasn't perfect and the way that she expresses her love was unconventional, but did he really have to hate her?

In this case, the characters are not using the pronouns me, we, I but him, her , she, he, they etc. But the point of view shifts from Jimin, the male lead to Lara, the female lead. (Hope this makes sense I don't want to go too

Please log in to read the full chapter