My Downstairs Neighbor

One of These Days (you'll like me too)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Beep beep.

 

Beep beep.

 

Beep beep.

 

A hand is seen coming out of a pile of sheets and blankets making its way to turn off the phone who was busy vibrating and waking everyone in the vicinities up. Unfortunately, the trajectory of that same hand was a bit off, probably due to morning sickness and blindness coming from the person who was still buried under the bedsheets. And as soon as it landed on the phone, which was dangerously close to the corner of the bedside table, made it fall onto the floor. At least it was silent now.

A ball of greyish hair pops out of the sea of blankets and a now very much awake tall and lean boy jumps out of bed, squatting down to pick up the phone from the floor. He cringes as he observes his practically new phone with his brand new giant crack from on corner of the screen to the other.

Taehyung, the owner of an unfortunate curse involving broken, damaged and just lost phones, is a first year college student, not wanting to give his life a break and majoring in drama. Because of a delay on his flight, he only came back from his hometown yesterday night to his apartment, making him go straight to bed, not even bothering to unpack. Now, with only an hour until his first class on this new semester begins, unpacking his suitcase was the last thing on his mind as he got undressed in a blink of an eye and sprinted to the bathroom to take a shower. You see, one hour was plenty of time for Taehyung to get ready, find his classroom and still have time to take a five minute nap. But, unfortunately (or fortunately) Taehyung had other plans to add onto his morning schedule.

In this small and a little old apartment complex, which no one complained (a lot) since it could be a lot worse, the rent wasn’t too expensive for a college student and it was relatively close to campus, right below Taehyung’s floor lived another first year student, a music majored one. Taehyung, being the great person he is, right after he moved here on the first semester of this school year, he decided to knock on every door to introduce himself and meet his new neighbors, which were only three, by the way. And one of them wasn’t even there for the first week or two. It was a small apartment indeed. Taehyung, a drama majored student, someone who claims to be a person full of bright emotions who could solemnly be fed with passion and sunlight, practically fell over heels with his downstairs neighbor. If anyone (read: Jimin, his best friend forever and ever, until the day he finishes Taehyung’s favorite cereals and doesn’t buy him new ones in time for him to eat, like one unfortunate day on their first semester not too long ago) asks, Taehyung answers that it was love at first sight. As soon as he laid eyes on Yoongi, his neighbor, bells were ringing, angels were singing, and butterflies were stabbing his stomach like crazy. And Taehyung knew, he knew that this new crush of his was there to stay.

Of course that that is what Taehyung says, even though he can’t always be trusted, especially since the first time he could make his new crush open his mouth to reply to Taehyung’s simple “Hi” in the morning was almost a month after the day they got to know each other.

It was funny actually, how Kim Taehyung chose this boy as his main topic to be discussed with Jimin, as his reason to not be able to sleep sometimes and as one of his topics in an English test. The scores weren’t that high on that subject, they never were when it came to English and him. Yoongi and Taehyung were completely different and their (one-sided love) looked like something taken out of a shoujo manga. Yoongi was short, definitely not a talker nor a morning person, didn’t smile a lot and seemed only interested on his studies and on his music. He has a great passion for music and playing the piano.

Taehyung had listened to Yoongi playing the piano innumerous times, each one sounding like Snow White’s birds happily chirping or crying onto his ears. It depended on the genre of music being played really. And it wasn’t by lack of trying that Taehyung still didn’t heard Yoongi play live to him. He knocked on his door hundreds of times to ask him to play just a short piece to him, heck, to even just let Taehyung in and see the piano, and maybe the rest of the house… But got rejected each and every time.

Since both Taehyung and Yoongi were first year students, and the two of them had classes in the art building, they had some classes together. Taehyung didn’t need other better reason than this one to start getting up a little earlier than usual and skip to his neighbor’s door to wait for him to get out, so they could go together to their classes building.

 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Taehyung for the third and final time that morning, checked his hair on the bathroom mirror, making sure every strand of hair was perfect. But who was he kidding, half an hour later and his hair was already going to be all over the place, it was just too rebel to tame.

He grabbed his notebook and a random pen, no need for backpack, and made way to the front door, turning off the lights and leaving his apartment.

“Right!” He suddenly remembered, turning around, opening the door and entering his apartment once again to find his grey scarf lying on his bedroom chair. He put it effortlessly around his neck and practically ran to the elevator after locking his door.

The elevator stopped on the second floor and Taehyung walked towards the only door with a welcoming mat. Black with absolutely no words written on it. Perfect, Taehyung thought.

He leaned against the wall waiting for his neighbor to come out. There was no need for him to knock on his door. That would only make him wait the same amount of time, if not longer, and gain a powerful smack on his forehead, which was totally unnecessary. He learned this lesson the hard way.

Almost five minutes later, the door opened and a small boy appeared beside Taehyung. Yoongi.

“Yoongi!” T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter