Between Two Pets

Archangel Island

Note: All supernatural creatures are not capitalized. In this universe, they exist as a common truth, therefore they are common nouns. 


 

Chapter 2

Between Two Pets

The rest of the morning passed in a blur. The assembly hall was all high ceilings and cold, stone walls. It must’ve been beautiful and grand with all the right levels of awe-inspiring décor. And the fact that the dean appeared to be a huge white dragon probably should’ve amazed her more, but the truth was that she couldn’t remember anything except seeing the two dorm supervisors on that red-carpeted stage, tiny specks beside the dean, but no less beautiful. Nothing seem to matter more than seeing the pretty, red-headed senior on stage next to Joohyun, who caught her eye several times with a kind of cool calm that bordered on murderous intent.

 

But once they were sorted into their dorm rooms via little cards, she couldn’t care less about Joohyun. In fact, the entire world became white noise, because she—Moon Byulyi, the luckiest woman in the world—was not only sorted into Kim Yongsun’s dormitory, she was going to be her roommate.

 

In the same room. With Kim Yongsun.

 

She stared at the cream-coloured placard with her name on it. Her name beside Kim Yongsun’s name. Under the same room number. The idea of breathing the same air as Yongsun every night swirled around in her mind for so long, blocking out everything else so effectively, that she may as well have been sleepwalking as she filed out of the assembly hall with the rest of the students. If it were a dream, Byulyi never wanted to wake up.

 

Oh god, what would she say?

 

What if she ends up hating her because all she did was stare?

 

Byulyi was halfway up the trail to her dormitory when she stopped in the middle of the path. A few students shoved past her—she didn’t know how long she stood there, but suddenly she didn’t want to keep going. Maybe it would be best if she didn’t enter the dream at all.

 

“Hey there!”

 

Something poked her in the leg, waking her up from the spiral slide of her thoughts. She looked down to see a red-eyed white rabbit with an impressive set of antlers stare back at her.

 

“Seungwan?” She asked. “What are you?” Her hand flew to , both ears dropping as if on cue, “Sorry, that was rude, wasn’t it?”

 

The rabbit laughed—her very human voice was more than a little bit disconcerting. “I’m a jackalope! I’m from North America, you see. You’d be surprised how many times I get that question. Even Joohyun forgets once in a while. I guess people get used to the horns after a while and assume I’m just a regular house bunny. I’ve been told I’d make a good pet. Mostly by Joohyun-unnie. She likes to tease me.”

 

Byulyi nodded, though she wasn’t sure she understood.

 

“Sorry, I’m talking too much again, aren’t I?”

 

No,” Byulyi said, smiling. “But why are you here?”

 

“Oh! Of course! You just looked a little lost. Can I help you with anything? I can take you to your dorm if you like. Oh yeah, I meant to say congratulations for not getting into Joohyun-unnie’s dorm. You’re Yongsun-unnie’s roommate right? She’s very nice, but you should be careful too. You’ve probably noticed, but she’s a vampire. Make sure she’s well-fed or she might get angry. Also, Joohyun is her best friend so you better not upset her. It’s a nice building here isn’t it? I think you’ll find your room very comfortable. And if you don’t like your room, you can always request to be transferred to another one. Most of the rooms offer the same accomodations, but they might have different layouts. Some rooms have a dividing wall. I’m Joohyun-unnie’s roommate, by the way, so if you ever need pointers on surviving a roommate situation with a dorm supervisor, I’m your girl! I guess a good rule of thumb is to not break any rules? Most people agree that Yongsun-unnie is a bit more relaxed of the two, but that’s probably just because she smiles more. And she doesn’t really like using her bat form, though I kind of think she’s pretending because she’s actually pretty good at sneaking around. Just from rumours. Anyway, there isn’t really a curfew here, not that there’s a whole lot to do. Oh! Is the the gumiho from earlier?”

 

By the time Seungwan took a breath, they were already at the dorm and Byulyi was dizzy with information. In the main foyer, Hyejin stood beneath a grand candle-lit chandelier with a big furry ball in her arms.

 

“I’m pretty sure our room is that way,” she said, pointing down the hall.

 

“It’s upstairs! Check the key,” came another voice. All around them, the foyer was lively with students, but nobody seemed to be paying any attention to Hyejin.

 

“Who is she talking to?” Byulyi wondered out loud.

 

Just then, the brown ball of fur leapt out of Hyejin’s arms and came hurtling toward them. It was a small-ish, perhaps the size of a corgi, but as shaggy as a small bear. Even up close, Byulyi didn’t quite recognize the doglike creature, but the voice earlier—why did it sound so familiar?

 

The glare Hyejin gave Byulyi then was enough to freeze her blood, and she intuitively took a step away from the little dog running up to Seungwan. But it couldn’t be…could it?

 

Seungwan bounded forward to meet the creature, and the two animals sniffed the air around each other.

 

“Seungwanssi!” The little dog exclaims.

 

“Ah! You’re the girl from earlier!” Seungwan cried.

 

Byulyi wasn’t sure how to feel about the two human voices conversing in tiny, furry bodies, but she had to admit it was kind of adorable to see the two creatures circling each other, tails shaking in excitement.

 

“You’re Wheein, aren’t you? You didn’t tell me you’re a tanuki,” Seungwan said. “Ahhh, I’ve finally found someone who understands!”

 

“And you’re a…”

 

“Jackalope.”

 

“Wow,” Wheein said, running around the antlered rabbit, “I’ve never met a jackalope before! Can you shapeshift too?”

 

“Only into my human form,” Seungwan said sadly.

 

“Oh, me too. For now, I hope. Hyejin says I’ll be able to shapeshift later, but ah…”

 

“Joohyun says the same, but I think she’s lying to me to make me feel better,” Seungwan laughed. “I don’t mind though! It’s a lot easier this way. It’s not like we’re getting trained to save the world or anything.”
 

"I don't mind it at all! It's nice when Hyejin snuggles me too," Wheein said, turning around to beam at the subject in question. Hyejin tilted her head in response, but made no move to leave her post under the chandelier and join the conversation. 
 

"Yeah! Sometimes I sit in Joohyun's lap when she's working. It'd be a bit weird to do it as a human, you know? And it's such a different way of being held." 
 

"Ahh, it's nice, isn't it? It's easier to steal food when you sit in someone's lap too," Wheein laughed. 
 

"That's so true!"
 

Byulyi briefly recalled Seungwan’s comment earlier, and she had to admit that it was a bit like watching two pets discuss their relationship with their owners. She wanted to run forward and hug them both, but Hyejin’s glare from across the room pinned her to her spot.

 

Byulyi, not knowing where else to go, glued herself to Seungwan’s side for the rest of the afternoon. Unfortunately, Wheein also had the same idea, and wherever Wheein went, Hyejin followed. Thus, the two women found themselves reluctantly walking side by side as Seungwan showed them around the campus.

 

The main campus, where some of the classes are held, consisted of uniform blocks of buildings behind the main castle where the welcome ceremony took place. A towering glass structure was circled by rows upon rows of squat red-, blue-, and white-bricked buildings. “The tower—or the Spire, as we call it—is for flying classes, but there’s a nice restaurant up there too. You three will mostly be in the blue and red buildings. It’s where animal types like us have most of our classes. We don’t really have strict classifications, because you really get a whole mix of people here, but you’ll probably end up in the same classes as people in similar situations as you.”

 

Beyond the main set of buildings, the campus fans out further. “Through the trees here,” Seungwan explained, walking along a dirt path in her human form, “you’ll find the forestry and health faculties. There’s a path from there to take you to the science faculty. The arts buildings are closer to the docks. Humanities, language and linguistics, psychology, sociology, anthropology, business—they’re all in that area. The fine arts faculty is actually built on that cliff you see there. It’s a beautiful building—kind of like an old Florentine palace—but, ah, I’d probably change my major if Joohyun didn’t carry me to class every morning. It helps to be small sometimes!”

 

Hyejin squinted into the distance at the shadowy box above the trees. “So how do normal people who aren’t conveniently dating hot sirens get to class?”

 

At that, Seungwan laughed a little too loudly. She waved her hands erratically and blushed bright pink against her normally pale cheeks. “W-we’re not dating!” She cried.

 

Hyejin quirked a brow. “Could’ve fooled me,” she said.

 

Seungwan cleared . “So, uh, normally...if you can’t fly...you can take a gryphon. They’re not the most comfortable and a bit temperamental, but they’ll get you there eventually. Ah, there’s a station right over here.” Beside an ivy-encrusted glass building was a wooden stable with the words ‘Gryphon Shuttle - Faculty of Business’ engraved neatly with red ink. Two gryphons were sleeping with their head hanging out of their stalls. One watched them with piercing gold eyes, while another two stalls were empty.

 

Seungwan approached the vigilant one with a smile. “Getting a ride with these beautiful creatures is an art in itself. Luckily, these are all young and specially bred, so we don’t have to sacrifice a horse every time we want a ride. They’re usually happy with an apple since they’re pretty well-fed here. The important thing to remember is that they’re very proud.” To demonstrate, Seungwan bowed to the beast, who closed its eyes and dipped its head in response. “So even if you offer ten apples, and she still doesn’t give you the green light, then you’re out of luck. You really don’t want to piss off a gryphon. I’ve heard they can also be a bit vindictive.

 

Byulyi inched a little closer, but the creature’s white head snapped up and fanned its white feathers out in warning.

 

“Yikes, maybe they don’t like werewolves,” Seungwan commented unhelpfully. “That’s too bad.”

 

Wheein sighed. “I’m in the fine arts department too… It’ll be an adventure every morning, won’t it?”

 

Seungwan brightened. “Really? I’m sure Joohyun can give you a ride. You’re small enough in tanuki form.”

 

“No,” Hyejin growled, instinctively stepping out protectively in front of Wheein.

 

“It’s no trouble—”

 

“Absolutely not. I will not have that woman bully my Wheein while I’m not around,” she said, crossing her arms. “And I will personally tear out her liver if she sings to you.”

 

“Hyejin...you’re being ridiculous.”

 

Hyejin puffed out her cheeks. “No, I’m not. You’re cute, Wheeinie, and I don’t know what her intentions are. You heard what Seungwan-unnie said—they’re not together. So, I don’t want her preying on you.” Seungwan blushed, and looked markedly uncomfortable as she dug the toe of her shoe into the ground.

 

Wheein rubbed the bridge of her nose with a thumb and forefinger. “We’ll talk about it when the time comes, but I think you’re overreacting.” Seungwan and Byulyi looked at each other, then continued on silently to give them some space. But Byulyi’s ear twitched, and she couldn’t help but catch Wheein’s words: “I know you care, but you don’t have to be so protective of me all the time, Hyejinie. You are the woman I fell in love with, and no siren or succubus or whatever can change that. You know that right?”

 

Hyejin did not reply.

 


 

When the dinner bell rang, Hyejin, Wheein, and Byulyi waved goodbye to Seungwan, who parted down the path to the neighbouring dorm. Dinner was buffet style and filled with awkward silence as Byulyi, unsure what the proper social protocol might be, followed Hyejin and Wheein to an empty table. She sat beside Wheein, but neither her nor Hyejin—intent as they were to continue their earlier discussion by stewing in unresolved anger and —seemed to notice her presence at all.

 

She ate quickly and excused herself quietly before returning to her own room. All the while, she thought back to the days events, unreal as they were. She still couldn’t believe she transformed—that she was a giant wolf, and that having visible ears and a tail was probably the least of her concerns. Most of all, she still couldn’t believe she shared a room with Kim Yongsun.

 

The moment she walked into her new room, she was hit with the powerful scent of something undefinable. Something vaguely floral, with a hint of something else. Whatever it was, it nearly sent her sprawling to the floor—it smelled so damn good. She staggered to the centre of the plush carpet, and laid down, trying her best to resist the temptation to shove her nose into everything Yongsun owned. The scent drew her in and threatened to drown her.

 

Worse, it was turning her on like nothing before. More than any of her previous post-werewolf misfortunes.

 

Byulyi glued herself to the carpet as she admired the room. The room itself was spacious, simple, and clean. She had a desk, a bed, and a shelf, and she didn’t need much more than that. They had a shared walk-in closet with a folding door swept to one side, where half the space was bare. She could just make out Yongsun’s row of clothes.

 

Perhaps she could...just a little.

 

“Moon Byulyi, you creep,” she muttered to herself. She could almost imagine the horror on Yongsun’s face if she ever came in to find her weirdo roommate rolling around in her clothes. Byulyi squeezed her eyes shut. Perhaps she can unpack and distract herself. She glanced at the pile of suitcases on her bed, and felt her heart drop—she really didn’t have the energy to unpack right now. Maybe she could just sleep these sensations away. The carpet was plenty comfortable.

 

Yes, the carpet will do just fine.

 

It was pitch black when she awoke to the sound of her door squeaking open.

 

“Yongsun-ah, what are you doing?” The voice in the doorway shot Byulyi’s heart out of her chest. It was unmistakably the soft voice of the siren, but softer still somehow without the stern edge. What was she doing here?

 

“Sorry, just a little bit? Please?”

 

Byulyi’s ears perked up. It was clear that Yongsun was friends with Joohyun, but that was not the kind of pleading tone you’d normally reserve for friends. A familiar ache gnawed at her chest when she heard the rustle of fabric, but she shook herself mentally—she had no reason to be upset over a pair of strangers, after all. Instead, she focused her energies on trying to stay as still as possible. Hopefully they wouldn’t notice, because she was not prepared for the kind of awkward encounter this was bound to create.

 

“Ah, be gentle,” said Joohyun. “You’re always so aggressive when you’re hungry.”

 

“Sorry,” Yongsun replied with a sheepish chuckle. “It’s because I know you don’t stay mad at me.” Byulyi heard the wet pop of a kiss, followed by a low groan. She could feel her whole body flush, and more than ever, she wanted to rip off her ears as the wet noises continued.

 

A series of muffled noises later, Joohyun spoke again, slightly out of breath for reasons Byulyi did not want to imagine. Still, she could not deny her curiosity as she listened in on their whispered conversation, and even though she felt like a creep, it was one of the few times her newfound abilities could be construed as helpful.  

 

“Do you feel better?” Joohyun asked.

 

“Yes, thank you. I really needed that.”

 

“Good.”

 

“You should probably get back. Seungwan is probably waiting for you.”

 

Joohyun sighed. “That girl worries too much.”

 

“She just cares about you, you know.”

 

“Nn.”

 

“Well?”

 

“Fine, fine, I’ll go. Just be careful. That werewolf...I can’t help but worry.”

 

“I’ll be fine.”

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to stay with us?”

 

“I can take care of myself, Joohyun.”

 

“Still.”

 

“Your girlfriend is waiting.”

 

“W-what? Stop it! You know she’s not my girlfriend.”

 

“Do I know that?” Yongsun teased. “I know how much you want her to be.”

 

“Ugh, I’m leaving. I’m not having this conversation again.”

 

“Good night.”

 

“Good night.”

 

A shuffle, a clack, and a high-pitched yelp later, Byulyi knew she had been discovered.

 

“...Byulyi?”

 

She remembered her name! Byulyi could almost cry—if she weren’t so busy faking sleep. And trying to ignore the fact that her intoxicating scent was getting closer and closer.

 

“Aigo, why are you sleeping here?”

 

Yongsun crossed the room and, as quietly as possible, lowered Byulyi’s suitcases to the carpet at the foot of her bed. Suddenly, warm hands cradled Byulyi’s back and legs, and lifted her up, as if she were no heavier than a puppy.

 

But, unprepared for the sudden contact, Byulyi’s charade was up: her eyes flew open, arms and legs flailing in Yongsun’s arms. Yongsun yelped, and would’ve dropped Byulyi onto the carpet if Byulyi hadn’t suddenly wrapped her arms around her neck and shoulders. Instead, they fell forward.

 

Onto the bed.

 

Yongsun on top of Byulyi.

 

Could the scent of someone’s hair and skin be enough to drown a person? Or at least, overwhelm a person so entirely that it momentarily incapacitates a person? Perhaps if you are a werewolf, because Byulyi couldn’t remember anything after that. She out entirely.

 

When she woke up a minute later, it had felt like a lifetime. She wasn’t even fully sure she was awake when she saw the glow of red eyes boring into her own. No she must've been dreaming still. 

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Ah, the concern in Yongsun’s voice seemed so real. Byulyi smiled. “Now I am,” she said, reaching out to gently cradle her cheek.

 

“W-what?” She said, eyes wide and cheeks pink.

 

Yongsun pulled back from her touch, and watched the moment of realization unfold on Byulyi’s face like a movie as horror dawned in slow motion. Cornered and terrified, she took the instinctive action—she burrowed. Under her blanket’s illusion of security, she prayed that she was, in fact, still dreaming. Or at least for Yongsun to forget what happened in any way, shape, or form. Fortunately, it wasn’t long before she felt the weight beside her shift, then disappear altogether. Still, her beating heart would not calm, and the scent of her was so intoxicating. 

By the time she found the courage to dig herself out of her blankets, Yongsun was a faraway lump on the other side of the room.

 


End Notes: Hi everyone! I just want to apologize for any errors you might find. I usually go through everything I post several times, but I do a lot of my writing on my phone these days, so it's hard to catch autocorrect sometimes. Once posted, I tend to go back and edit. Sometimes immediately, sometimes in a few days, sometimes in a few months. I tend to read over my own work quite a few times, and I tend to focus on structure, additions, and deletions when I edit, so I am not good at catching typos. Please be patient with me!   

Also I apologize for the formatting. Every time I post it’s a struggle with AFF == it looks great on my PC but it looks like mobile changes things sometimes...

Anyway, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LOVING ARCHANGEL ISLAND SO FAR!! The response has been really amazing, which is why I wanted to get this next chapter out to you as soon as possible! 

I really love my readers :')