Chapter One

Be With You, Special Being

A girl with wavy hair, with light brown hair colour, mid-length. Dark brown eyes and 5 foot 2 tall. I'm Yoon Chaeseon, 20 years old girl who's working part time at a cafe near the city and an university student. I look normal when you look at me from the outside, like any other girls you saw that walk at the street of your favourite coffee shop, or inside of a popular shopping mall you go. I am definitely normal-looking, not until you know that I actually am carrying a curse. Since when I was around nine, I once collapsed when I was in my classroom and the next moment I saw was white ceiling, medicine smell lingered around me and obviously, nurses and doctor in their white uniforms.

            ”Are you okay? How are you feeling?” The doctor approached me and threw me questions. I nodded my head, after I tried to answered, and found out my throat was dried. One of the nurses helped me to sit up on my bed, and handed me a glass of water. I took it in my hand and drink the water almost instantly. “Do you remember that you’ve collapsed in your class?” I blinked my eyes at the doctor, “I do.” I answered. The doctor nodded his head and continues speaking. “Alright, you just need to consume a lot of water. Other than that, you’ll be fine.” That was what he said. But I started to see strange things the moment I opened my eyes and looked at the nurses in my room.

          “Is there any problem?” The doctor asked when he noticed that I spaced out. “Yeah, what are those things?” I pointed my finger towards one of the nurses, pointed right at the body where their heart is. The doctor turned his head and looked at where I pointed, but confusion soon took over his face. “What—“ He trailed off. “—did you see?” He looked at me, confused. I could see the doctor has it, too. I could see the thing, somewhat like flame mixed with lights that those fireflies carry, blinking softly around the flame. I could see it turned from fade blue to dark yellow. As I looked around and looked at the nurses, I could see theirs turned into dark purple. Even though the things I see just showed colours, strangely I could tell what it means. The nurses, they felt fears. And the doctor, he felt confusion. “I see—“ I stopped, debating with myself whether I should tell the truth, or not. But he’s a doctor, isn’t he? “…flames, and faded blinking lights.” I answered. The doctor looked confused as ever. And the nurses stood there, as if they were glued on the floor. The me that time thought that, “Did I say something wrong?” because they kept their mouth shut.

            After I told the doctor that I did see them, they began checking up on me and trying their best with my ‘illness’. Soon enough when I was seventeen, they found out that I aged slower than average of the human, aged slower than normal human being would. I couldn’t understand any of the things that doctor said, even when he has explained it to me, because it doesn’t make any sense. I should be aging like others but they told me that it’s positive that I aged slower. Almost like those in dramas, or movies where the immortal lives on as they aged, living hundreds of years. Except that, I do will face death. Just a little late. I don’t know how long is that ‘little late’ is, though.

            Eventually, I gave up trying to find out why I was different, and I gave up trying to know why I am a bit of…‘immortal’. Just like that, I gave up everything and decided to just live normally like others, and act like one so no one would really found out about me. My parents called it ‘special ability’ but I called it ‘a curse’. What else would it be if it’s not a curse when you have something like these inside your body?

            I carry on, and live. I didn’t have friends; because some of them noticed how my face aged slower than them, how they are slowly aging and here I am, still having my youthful face.

            I am now currently working in a coffee shop; or café, whichever it is, near the city of Seoul. And I am currently a university student. The town is busy, and merry like usual. You could see high school kids walking down the street with their friends as they hold their drinks. I wish I know how it feels like.

            ‘Ring..!’ The doorbell rings as the door is opened and someone comes in. A tall slender figure, tall enough to catch the attention of women around, and attractive enough to keep them pinned in their place. The tall figure headed my way and leaned in. “One Iced Mocha, please.” The tall man talked. I smiled. “Like you could handle all the caffeine,” I looked at him. “Kim Taehyung.”

            “It’s not like it’s my first time here, ordering coffees, isn’t it?” He smiled. I shake my head as I proceed to do his Iced Mocha. He walked towards an empty table near the window, at the corner of the café. It is obvious how the women’s eyes in the café are fixed on him. Just, he didn’t notices it, or he notices, just playing dumb.

            Bringing the Iced Mocha in my hand, I walked towards him and put it on the table. “Your Iced Mocha, Sir.” I joked. He laughed at it even if it’s not that humorous. Weird taste of humor. “When are you getting off work?” He asked. I pulled the empty chair and sit on it. “Probably around nine, or later than nine.”

            “But not past ten?”

            “Not past ten.” I answered. “Then, I’ll wait.” He sipped his Iced Mocha. “Are you crazy? You have class tomorrow, is it?” I questioned. “I do.”

            “Then, you shouldn’t wait for me. It’s okay, I’ll be fine on my own.” He stares at me as I said that. Staring at me so intense that I thought he could reads my mind. “I wouldn’t come here in the first place if I go home without you.” He said. I sighed. “All right. Are you okay waiting?”

            “Super okay!” He cheered. I smile and told him that I will get back to work and turned my heels towards the counter. I looked around the café and I saw light green flame on every of the woman in the café. Jealousy. I shrug it off and continue with my work.

            The café slowly deserted and in the end, left Taehyung, me and my other co-workers. “I’ll go change.” I mouthed the words at Taehyung and went to the locker room. I came out with my usual outfit, and a bag. “I’m going now guys. Thank you for taking care of me!” I said to my co-workers. “Alright! Be careful on your way home.” One of them said. “He’ll takes care of her, no worries!” The other one whispered and they smiled at me. “Cut it out.” I laughed and waved them goodbye before exiting the café with Taehyung.

            “Your co-workers are kind.” Taehyung said as we walked on the street. “They are. Thank goodness they are kind.” I answered.

            “I’ll buy you some Bungeoppang. I know a store here that sells delicious Bungeoppang.” He bend down to look at me. “Alright?” He asked. “Sure!”

            Taehyung and I are friends since we were in primary school. He noticed that I was alone, and no one dares to approach me because they said I am abnormal. I was called ‘immortal witch’ when I was in primary school and everyone seems to know that nickname was mine. So they avoided getting involved with me. So, when Taehyung realised I was alone at my desk, he asked the others about me. Everyone told him not to get close to me, but his curiosity got the best of him and he started talking to me the next day.

            He was so small before, but now he’s grown up so well. He’s tall, and he has the height of most of the girls’ ideal type. Not to mention that he has good looks, and good personality. I kind of understand why girls fall in love with him on their first sight. “He’s a grown up man now, huh?” I whispered under my breath. He came back with the Bungeoppang in his hands and he stopped right in front of me. ‘So tall’, I thought to myself.  “Here’s the Bungeoppang! One for you and one for me” He handed out the bread at me, and I take it in my hand. “Warm Bungeoppang is the best, you know!” He said, excitedly. “Thank you, Taehyung-ah.” I took a bite and raised my thumb at him. We continue walking as we talked, down the street of our neighbourhood and arrived to my apartment.

            “Thank you for walking me home, Taehyung-ah”, I said to him and he smile. “Do you have part-time tomorrow?”

            I shook my head. “I have class on the evening so I don’t go to work.” I explained. He slightly nodded his head. “That’s good. Take some rest.” He said. “You’ve been working like a madman. You need some rest, oh?” He patted my head. “Aigoo, look at your skin. Drink a lot of water and take care of yourself. That’s important than your job, to me.” He stares at my face, and hit my arm lightly. “Okay, go inside now. It’s cold at night. Don’t catch a cold.”

            “I’ll go now. See you tomorrow.” He ruffled my hair before walking off. I can see he puts his hands in the pocket of his jacket. “Aigoo, look at him. Why is he still single? He should go out and date someone.” I shook my head and entered my apartment building. I switched on the lamp after I entered my house, closing the door behind. I put my bag on the chair and opened the refrigerator. “Milk… Milk…” I took out the milk and poured it into the cup and drink it.

            I looked outside through my living room’s sliding door. The wish of wanting to go out to the balcony appears but the chilly weather at night stops me from doing so. “I’ll just get some rest.” I walked into my room and the lights. I passed by the mirror in my room and stopped in my track. I leaned in closer to see the reflection of my face on the mirror. “I guess I really should take care of my skin now.”

            Washing my face, and taking the masker out of the drawer, I walked towards my bed and applied it on my face. When I was about to sleep, my phone’s notification rings. I take my phone off the table next to my bed and view the notification. A KakaoT message from Taehyung.

            “Did you take care of your skin? I hope you do now. Good night. See you tomorrow.” Is what he sent me. Seeing the message carved a smile on my face. I clicked on the screen and start typing a reply message to him, “I did, thanks to someone’s advice about my skin. Good night. See you tomorrow, Taehyung-ah”.

            “Let’s get some sleep.” I murmured under my breath and pulled the blanket over my body.

------

            The chirping outside my window wakes me up from sleep. I tried to go back to sleep and was almost successful when my alarm clock starts ringing annoyingly loud next to me. “You annoying little thing…!” I reached out my hand and grab the alarm clock next to me, hitting the button on the clock to shut it down.

            I lazily sit up in my bed, letting my eyes wander around my quiet room. The sunlight makes its way through the window and curtain, into my room. “What time is it?” I mumbled to myself. My phone rings. I looked at the screen and Taehyung’s name appeared on the screen. “Hello?”

            “Oh? You woke up early.” He said from the other line. “Yeah, the alarm clock was annoying.” I said. He laughed at my comment. “I’m almost near your apartment. I’m going to drop by before I go to class.”

            “What?”

            “In 60 seconds, young lady.”

            I said okay and ended the call. Quickly grabbing the face towel and rushed my way to the toilet. Washing my face and brushing my teeth, I look at myself on the mirror and make sure that I look okay. I wipe the water gently from my face, then the doorbell rings. “It must be Taehyung.”

            I walked towards the door and opened it; Taehyung is standing there with his smile wide. “Ah, come in?” I said in an unsure tone. He laughed as he talked about how my voice sounds hesitated when inviting him inside my house. “I still have a bit of time before my class starts”, he said. “Anyway,” He turned around and looked at me. “What?”

            “Here’s some breakfast for you.” He puts it on the table. “What’s that?” I walked towards the plastic bag he put on my table and looked inside. “Hm? Bento?”

            “I called it Dosirak”, he proudly said the word ‘Bento’ in Korean.

            “Okay, sure. But,” I take out the container out of the plastic and opened it. “Did you cook it?” I looked at him. “I do.” He pulled the chair and sit down. “Come on, eat it. I’ll accompany you while you have your breakfast.” I looked at him, shocked. “Hm?” He hummed, patting the table with his hand showing as if to tell me to sit down and eat.

                I have no choice but to do as what he says. I opened the container and started eating. “Pretty”, He murmured under his breath. “What did you say?”

                “No, nothing. I’m complimenting my product since you didn’t do it.” He said, pouting his mouth. I laughed. “It’s delicious. Thank you, Taehyung-ah”, I smiled and continue eating as he returned a smile afterwards. “Anyway, why did you suddenly cooked for me?”

                “Can’t I?”

                “No, you can. Just asking” I said.

                “Because I know you would not have breakfast other than biscuits and warm drinks. You need to eat more, you know.” He said, as he rested his chin on the front of his hand. I couldn’t agree more. “Anyway, Taehyung,”

                “Hm?”

                “Do you know that you’re good-looking?” I asked. “What?” He looked at me, surprised. “Why aren’t you seeing someone?”

                He remained silent for a while. I could see the hesitation in his eyes. “Because I like someone”.

                “Really?”

                “Yeah”, he said. He crossed his arms and rested it on the table, burying half of his face inside. “That’s nice. That girl is so lucky”, I smile. “Who is that girl? Is she someone that I know?” I asked. Taehyung stares at me quietly. It lasts for almost few minutes. “Yeah, you know her very well.”

                “Really?” I trailed off. “Who?”

                He sits up straight and took a deep breath. “Alright, are you free tonight? Do you want to grab something for dinner?”

                “Mwoya”, I pouted a bit without realising it. “Are you on? Or not?”

                “On!” He smiled at my reply. “Taehyung- ah”, I called out his name. He stopped moving and looked at me. “Aren’t you scared of me?”

                His face looks confused for a moment and he replied, “Why should I?”

                “No, just. They called me the ‘Immortal Witch’, right? And you know that’s true. Not to mention that I have that ‘ability’, as well.” He stares at me before walking towards me. He crouched down next to my chair yet he still looks tall. “If I’m afraid of you, I won’t be here today, right?”

                He said it simple and clear, but his words calm me down. “You’re a weird one”, I smile. “Who cares if you’re ‘Immortal Witch’, at least you’re a ‘Pretty Immortal Witch’ to me”, he said. I’m stunned for a moment when he said it. How can he becomes so straightforward about things?

                “Ah, I better get going now. See you tonight.” He stands up from his seat. He walked towards the door and put his shoes on. I followed him from behind. “Take care”, he patted my head and smile then he walked out of my house. “What is that? Why is his women killer vibe comes out too much today?” Strange enough, my ability doesn’t works on him. I can see a bit of flame came out of his body, but not as much as others, so it’s hard to guess what he’s feeling.

-----

                “Ah, today’s lecture is boring! Don’t you think so?” I heard my colleagues talked about how boring the lecture today. Some of them admitted that they yawned all the time during the lecture, some admitted they almost fall asleep and I heard tons of it. I packed my stuff into my bag neatly, and exited the class when I’m done. Thank goodness the people here rarely noticed my existence, so they rarely would look at me and talk about how I am alone. And at least, there’s no rumor about me as ‘Immortal Witch’ spread around. I want that to be the last thing to happen in my list.

                I was walking out of the building when my phone rings. I expected it to be Taehyung but different name popped up on my screen. One of my co-workers is calling me. I answered the call and I could hear her soft voice on the opposite line. “Hello? Chaeseon-ssi?”

                “Yeah, it’s me. Is something wrong, Hyein-ssi?”

                “Ah, sorry to disturb you but I have emergency and no one can replace me because all of them are busy. Can you replace me for tonight? I’ll replace your shift later.” I remained silent for a while. I remember the plan that I’m making with Taehyung for tonight. Debating with myself whether I should replace her. “Alright, your shift is at 6 p.m, right?”

                “Yes!”

                “Then, I’ll replace your shift for today.”

                “Thank you! I’ll replace your shift whenever you want it. I owed you one!” She sounds relieved and we ended the call. I opened my KakaoT messenger and opened Taehyung’s chatbox. I took a deep breath and exhaled. “Taehyung-ah, I have to replace my co-worker’s shift today. I don’t think I can make it to dinner with you. I’m sorry.” I wrote and hesitated at the send button. After few seconds, I clicked on the button and send it to him.

                I rushed towards the Café and changed to my uniform.

                I am finally able to take a fifteen minutes rest and went to sit on one of the empty seat at the corner of the Café. I took out my phone and saw Taehyung’s message on my notification bar. “It’s okay. I’ll just go to you.” The first reply writes. Then, come the second one, “Where are you? Still in the café?”

                “Yeah, still at the Café.”

                A minute after that, Taehyung called me on my phone. “Where are you?”

                “I’m still at the Café.”

                “Turn around.”

                I turned around and saw him standing behind me, with hot Bungeoppang. “Mwoya”, I said as my smile widen. “Here, Bungeoppang. I’m here to drop this off so you could eat. It’s hectic today in the Town since there’s event going on. So, I expected this café to be full.” He explained. The way that he’s thoughtful of mere things like this makes me smile. “Thank you.” I murmured. He patted my head before telling me that he has things to do so he couldn’t be long. “I’ll text you!” He said before walking towards the door and left.

                “Cute as always.” I murmured under my breath. Before I lowered my gaze back to my phone screen, I caught the glimpse of those flames belong to the women in the café. ‘As always…’ I thought to myself. It’s not that I’m not used to it, it just their gazes; the way they stare at me for talking to Taehyung makes me feel uneasy.

                One of my co-workers comes to my seat, since she has her fifteen minutes break; showing that my rest time is over, as well. “Don’t bother them”, she said as she sits on the chair the opposite of me, settling her warm coffee on the table. “Taehyung is your friend for so long. They can’t do anything about it.” She smile. “Besides, you’re extremely pretty, so they won’t be able to beat you, or something.” She sipped on her drink and took out her phone from her pocket.

                It is a nice thing that I started working part-time here. Even though the Café would be hectic during certain times and sometimes it’s hard to handle customers that are lining in front of your counter, I didn’t regret it that I take part-time job here, since the workers that work with me are caring and kind.

                “Thank you.” I murmured. She smile. I stand up from my seat, excusing myself before proceeding to the counter. “Do you need some candy?” My male co-worker asked me as he wiped his hands on his apron. “Thank you, but I’m fine”, I politely rejected his offer. He seems okay with me and gave me encouragement before going inside the locker room for male.

                The doorbell rings and a slim figure entered the Café. “Welcome!” I greeted the customer that has just entered the shop. The moment I set my eyes on him, I can feel as if the time has slow down. He has hair colour that is as dark as the night, his dark brown eyes that draw me in and his good-looking features that make any women stops in their track. I managed to run my eyes across the Café, and there it is, light pink colour flames are everywhere.

                I turned my sight back to him. Among all those things about him, there’s one thing that captured my eyes. His flame. I couldn’t read his flame. Plus, I am bad at describing colours, even to myself so I have hard time guessing the flame that comes from him. “Excuse me?” He talked, waking me up from my own thoughts. “Ah! I’m sorry. Can I help you?”

                “I’m taking—“ He trailed off, looking at the menu board hang behind me. “—one Americano please”, he ordered. “One Americano…” I key in the price on the cash machine. “Please wait a moment” I proceed in making his Americano while he waits at the counter, playing with his phone.

                “Here’s your Americano.” I handed his Americano and he paid for it. Before he left, I managed to catch a glimpse of his flame for one more time. I saw a bit of faded orange, mixed with a colour that I can’t describe in words. ‘Why can’t I guess his feeling?’ I followed his figure as he walked to the door and left. “Hm…” I hummed under my breath.

                “That’s weird. He’s the same as Taehyung. Why can’t I read him?” I mumbled to myself. “The only thing I can see was that faded orange flame. But, faded orange? Will he be okay?”

                Without I realised it, time starts ticking, and customers are slowly leaving the café. “Good job everyone!” They shouted, encouraging. “I’ll be going now!” I said to them, and bowed. “Alright, take care.” They said to me and I proceeded towards the door, closing it behind afterwards.

                “Hah…” I let out a sigh and checked my phone. No messages. I guess Taehyung is busy with his work. Putting my phone back into my pocket, decided not to text him since I might disturbed him doing his works.

                I turned my heels to go back home, but I stopped in my track when I saw lights that aren’t really visible coming out from the alley next to the café I am working at. I looked around, emptiness and silence. I turned my vision back to the direction of the light, debating with myself whether I should check it or not. It’s ten p.m., and it’s kind of creepy.

                I closed my eyes, mustered my courage and take a step towards the alley. One step, two step. I slowly approached the light and peeked. “It’s like there’s someone.” I mumbled to myself. I can see a figure sitting on the ground, his back against the wall. I slowly walked up closely, and I can see his face, shone by the light that I saw. The flame.

                “It’s that guy from just now”, I walked to him and crouched beside him. “Hello? Mister?” I speak. “Can you hear me?” He didn’t flinched, even a bit. I shake his body softly and the flame that emits from him becomes brighter, a faded orange colour. “Faded orange…!” I gasped. “Excuse me? Mister?! Can you hear me?!” I shake his body but he didn’t react to my call. I can still see his chest heaving up and down, but he’s unconscious.

                I rested the front of my hand on his forehead, it’s crazily hot. “Don’t panic, don’t panic. It won’t help, Chaeseon-ah”, I convinced myself. “Ambulance… I should call the ambulance.” I took my phone out from my pocket and was dialling the number when a hand suddenly grabs my wrist, making me yelled a bit.

                “That shocked me!” I shouted. He’s awake, but he barely can open his eyes. “Are you okay? Okay, wait. Of course he’s not! Do you want me to call the ambulance?”

                He opened his mouth, and said something but I couldn’t catch it. “Say that again?”

                I leaned in and listen to his words. “Don’t call… the… ambulance…” He talked. “Don’t call? Then, what do you want me to do? I mean, what do you want me to do?” I said, realising few minutes late that I’ve repeated the same question. “My phone…” He said. I quickly searched around for his phone and I found it beside him. “God bless! It’s too dark. It’s hard to see things! I’ve wasted few minutes searching for—“ I stopped.

                “Here’s your phone. What do you want me to do with it?”

                “Dial… number 2…” He said. “Speed dial?” He nodded. I opened his phone and did as what he said. Then, a name; Secretary Oh, appeared on the screen. ‘Secretary? Who is this man?’ I thought to myself as I heard the ringing tone.

                The person called Secretary Oh answered the call, “Hello? Sajang-nim?”

                I gasped in my head. ‘He’s someone important?’

                “Um, hello, Secretary Oh. I am Yoon Chaeseon.”

                “Yoon Chaeseon? Can I know why you have our Sajang-nim’s phone?” He questioned.

                “Um, you see. Your Sajang-nim is in a trouble. He has high fever and currently at an alley next to Garden Café. He asked me to call you.” I explained it to him, short and simple. “I’ll be right there. Please don’t go anywhere.” He said and ended the call. Probably rushing to get the car and fetch this Sajang-nim over here.

                I handed it back to him but he muttered, “You… hold it.”

                “What?”

                “He might… call again. So, answer that… for me.” I nodded my head. “Ah… right. I forget.” I said, but more like I don’t know. “Are you feeling okay?” I asked, and saw his sweats on his forehead. I take out my handkerchief and wiped it off. “I kind of expected this to happen.” I mumbled under my breath. I was talking to no one in particular other than me, but he caught my words. “How would you know?” He asked.

                That question holds back my breath. The nickname ‘Immortal Witch’ popped out in my head. ‘Act normal. Act normal’.

                “I just see it. I don’t know. I probably caught your facial expression. Who knows?”

                “That’s an obvious lie.” He said. “I don’t know! I just saw. I… saw! Yeah, I saw! I see it!” The words that are in my head stuck in my throat, and I ended up stuttering. “What… do you mean?” He said between breaths. Before I could answer, a car appeared in front of us. A man in his suit came out of the car and approached us. “Secretary… Oh.” The Sajang-nim beside me talked. The secretary guy crouched. “Are you okay, Sajang-nim?”

                “I’m feeling better.” He answered. The secretary helped him up and thanked me. He asked me to go home but was stopped by his boss. “Bring her along…”

                “What?” His secretary and I said in unison.

                And so, I am in the car of a rich, important man. It is awkward. The boss with high fever is breathing heavily. “Are you okay?” I asked, out of concern, and because it’s awkward in the car. Secretary Oh is talking with the driver, whom I assume is working under this boss with high fever. I wiped his sweats from his forehead again and softly patted his hand, trying to help me ease down. Not that I know if it’s helping.

                In my head, I’ve called Taehyung’s name hundred times. ‘I’ve been kidnapped!’ then ‘But wait, they don’t really kidnap me. But I feel like I’ve been kidnapped! Taehyung, what should I do?”

                ‘I don’t know what I should do in a situation like this’

                ‘Will I not be able to go home anymore? What if these people are bad guys disguise in perfectly beautiful suits and those charming face of theirs?’

                ‘No, no. Let’s stay positive. Okay, think of other stuff. Hm, what should I eat tomorrow?’

                These endless thoughts keep playing around in my head. Seeing the road lamps outside, a question popped out in my mind. “Um, Secrectary Oh?” I leaned in. “Are we going to the hospital?”

                “We’re going back home.” He replied, in a monotonous voice. “Home? Shouldn’t we bring him to the hospital? He has insanely high fever.”

                “No can do. Stay still.” He said, and no more words come out of his mouth. I leaned back. ‘Home?’ Now I started panicking, again. “Don’t worry.” The high fever boss beside me talked. “We are not bad guys…” He said. ‘How can he know that? Did I speak it out of my mind? But I’m sure I didn’t.’ I looked at him, rather surprised. “Your face tells everything.” I nodded my head.

                We arrived at a house. Let me correct that. More like, a mansion. We are greeted by guys in black suits and they have earpiece on. “Follow me”, the boss said to me as he was helped to walk by Secretary Oh.

                I was glued on the ground. What mess have I got myself into?