RSVP

Mending Our Hearts

It took Seokjin more than 4 hours to settle Namjoon's case, from calling his father's lawyer friend to almost landed himself a punch in the face from confronting the thugs and arguing with the police officers. It was just an hour away from midnight when Namjoon is allowed to leave after some paperwork, at least the case came to a close. Looking down at a fast asleep teenage boy curled on top of a platform made from three chairs pulled together which was obviously uncomfortable to sleep in, Namjoon is even more confused why the pair of brothers (he assumed) went this far in helping a stranger like him. Seokjin handed over some documents to Namjoon before the three made their leave from the long night in the police station and Seokjin even went on to offer Namjoon a ride home.

 

"I-I couldn't thank you more. Mr. Kim S-Seo..Seo..." Namjoon trying hard to remember his savior's name.

 

"It's Seokjin." Seokjin remains his smiley face all these while while facing Namjoon.

 

"Thanks Mr. Kim Seokjin.... I err.... May I ask why did you help me? Because you really don't need to do all these." Namjoon was a little guilty for making strangers help him in such way, it was a little too much. 

 

"Why not?" was Seokjin's answer. Namjoon almost thinks the two brothers are insane right now. 

 

"You really want to know why?" After Seokjin reads Namjoon's confused expression. 

 

"Yes." 

 

"KZ108." There was a moment of silence in the car ride where Namjoon protested not to take but gave in after Seokjin insisted. Taehyung is still asleep in the backseat. 

 

"H-How did you..." Namjoon was rather shocked. 

 

"Because I am also one of you, so is the boy behind you." Namjoon turned to look at the boy peacefully asleep behind him and turned back to face Seokjin, jaw falling open.

 

"I find your name familiar then I remembered. 21 names wasn't a lot to remember anyway." Seokjin still has a really outstanding memory as far as Namjoon is concerned, he doesn't even remember his neighbor's name after living side by side for years. 

 

Pulling up to the parking lot below Namjoon's apartment, Namjoon thanked Seokjin for everything before closing the car door which was immediately stopped by Seokjin.

 

"Hey Namjoon. Do you wanna come over to my place someday? When you are free? Taehyung could use some company other than me though, I'll email you my address. Don't hesitate to call me if you need any help. Seriously." Seokjin said casually but the tone in his voice is sincere as if he could read the yearning in Namjoon's eyes. Namjoon felt a little prick in his heart, touching the sensitive part of his deepest scar that he almost thought he had forgotten but still bleeding. 

 

**************

 

"Hyung! Where are we going?" Jimin kept asking while Hoseok carried Jimin onto the front passenger seat of his car and buckled Jimin up, adjusting the position of the seat to make Jimin comfortable. 

 

"Hyung!!" Hoseok only smiled and continued packing the wheelchair into the car boot and stacking luggage bags that Jimin did not remember himself packing. Closing the car boot behind, Hoseok waved goodbye to Jimin's mom which was obviously also in this 'secret' thing together with Hoseok. 

 

"What the hell is this hyung? Even my mom knows?" 

 

"Don't worry. You'll see. Just enjoy the ride." Jimin knows he won't get anything out of Hoseok unless he starts a fit, but that would be stupid and childish, so Jimin kept quiet and submit to Hoseok's plan. They are driving up north from what Jimin could make out, but nothing else until Hoseok pulled over at a beach. They drove along the coastline from Busan, it has been half a year since both of them had been outside beside places like the hospital and home for Jimin and in addition of college for Hoseok. Life had been so repetitive that it is becoming suffocating for both of them, not to mention Jimin with all the suffering. 

 

"The sea, it's nice isn't it?" Hoseok said while facing the sea. rolling the car windows down to feel the breeze gently touching their faces. Jimin did not answer but too stared into the open sea.

   

"I'm sorry I made this selfish decision Jimin. But I can't bear to see you torturing yourself like that every day. I might not be in place to speak as if I know all your pain but I wanted you to see beyond all these, there's something you are missing on. We are going to be in Seoul for a bit." The rest of the few hours drive past in silence, only the music from the radio station that Hoseok tuned in accompanying them. Both lost in their thoughts. 

 

**************

 

"Hyung! Do you think we need to get extra juice and ketchup?" Namjoon asked Seokjin while he clumsily stuffing the refrigerator with all sorts of food, snacks, and drinks they've got from the supermarket. After that night, Namjoon kept in touch with Seokjin, visiting their place once in a few days or during weekends, they spent so much time together even Taehyung starts to get fond of Namjoon's company. There is this indescribable bond among the three of them that they can't quite make out exactly what it was, maybe it's because all of them lost a part of themselves along with that plane on that unfortunate day. Seeing how the three of them enjoy each other's company, they became curious how the other 18 survivors were doing, and so they came up with an absurd idea of a 'gathering' among all the survivors. Seokjin and Namjoon both did a lot of work and eventually got all 18 contacts that they wish their invitation might reach. 

 

It's this weekend that they would have the so-called 'gathering', but until then there was no reply from all of the 18 contacts, however, the three of them remains hopeful. At least one will show up, right? Maybe? 

 

The morning of the 'gathering'. Namjoon had stayed over in Seokjin's place the night before, both of them are up early to get ready. They did not set a specific time for the gathering, if any of the invited guests are to come, they could be coming at any time. Taehyung too was excited, though he did not expressly show them, waking up early staring into the front yard watching birds chirping on trees probably was the best evidence. 

 

12pm.

 

3pm.

 

6pm.

 

"Hyung. Do you think anyone would show up?" Namjoon already looking disappointed.

 

"Well. I dunno. We'll see." 

 

It wasn't until Namjoon and Seokjin were putting away their dishes and cleaning up after their dinner that the doorbell rang. All three boys stopped and looked up at each other. 

 

"Go get the door." Seokjin told Namjoon. Namjoon rushed over to the door, took in a deep breath and opened the door.