Crush on a Bus

Crush

“Oh hey Yul!”

“Hyomin ah! Oh thank goodness! I’m so happy that you are here. At least I have a friend to talk to throughout this stupid field trip. I mean seriously! Why do have to go to this field trip when we are in senior high!” Yuri complains.

Hyomin could just shake her head at her Yul’s greeting complains.

“I mean like seriously?! Why would they even designate buses and seats. And we are going to an amusement park at the end?! Yey! Like we are a bunch of kids. We are senior highs for goodness sakes!” Yuri complains more.

Hyomin thought that Yuri has let her heart out with all those complains in such an early morning. But there are more complains.

“And we are in a line?! For crying out loud?!” Yuri didn’t mind that they were in a line and a bunch of other students could hear her. It’s the senior high’s field trip organized by the school. Instead of a prom, the school opted for a field trip instead much to the students’ dismay. So it was not only Yuri who share that sentiment. And another thing, the school decided to separate the classes. It was for the seniors to mingle and get to know other fellow seniors. It was a complete bull because why would they want to separate them from their friends. Hyomin and Yuri were separated from their close friends.

“I thought you hated the window seat?” Hyomin asked Yuri who raced her to the window seat.

“I never said that? Now I love the window seat.” Yuri reasoned out to which Hyomin didn’t believe her. “Well I might as well just look outside to kill time.”

“But I need to take pictures.” Hyomin said being in charge of documenting the field trip.

“You can take pictures when we reach our destinations right??” Yuri asked hopeful.

“Arasso.” Hyomin sighed in defeat.

Hyomin was busy preparing her camera, checking whether she has enough battery and memory space and if she has a reserved. But Yuri started tapping her nonstop. “Yah!” Hyomin looked at Yuri who said nothing but kept on pointing at window like she saw something strange or shocking. Hyomin pressed herself on the window to see at what the earlier-nonstop-complainer-now-lost-for-words-Yuri was pointing at. Now she understands why.

Jessica Jung.

Jessica Jung. The campus crush. Yuri had it bad on her Yuri had this huge crush on Jessica Jung. She’s not alone though as along with Yuri is the whole campus. Well maybe except for some who are in a relationship or those who are not really interested which is the very minority of the minority and that includes Hyomin. Hyomin does not understand why the entire campus is under Jessica Jung’s charms. For Hyomin, she is not that pretty. Well, Jessica is pretty but not the prettiest. Or maybe Jessica isn’t just Hyomin’s type. Hyomin took back her words afraid that someone might hear her thoughts and kill her instantly. Hyomin smiled at her crazy thought. Yes the whole campus is under Jessica’s command. Well not literally…hmm…maybe it is. She does not understand why as Hyomin thinks that Tiffany, Jessica’s friend, is prettier. Sometimes she will have this debate with Yuri just to piss to lovesick Yuri off.  Hyomin kept on having this conversation with herself while still looking out the window. It was until Yuri yanked her to sit down to her seat. “Yah!”

“Yah! You keep on staring at her?!” Yuri whispered angrily.

“You made me look at her!” Hyomin matched Yuri.

“You were staring at her too long!”

“I was in my thoughts.” Hyomin said truthfully.

“Why did you decided to have your thoughts at that moment?! She noticed! She saw us staring at her! Now she might think I’m a creep because of you.” Yul whispered angrily. She was dead nervous.

Hyomin was enjoying the site of how Yuri was just so… ridiculous. “How sure are you that she saw us?”

Yul gave a duh face. “Of course I’m sure. She glanced at us.”

“Yul, all the students here are sure staring at her not only you and me. And you just made me look.” Hyomin stated nonchalantly.

Yuri again tapped her shoulders nonstop.

“What now?!”

“She’s going to ride the bus!” Yul exclaimed making Hyomin rolled her eyes.

“Of course she is. She’s a senior and she’s going to this trip.”

“No, I mean yeah. No. Ahh. I mean she’s riding our bus!”

“Oh…” Now she understands why Yuri is so excited. “Well, she might be sitting next to us.”  Yuri looked at her expectantly like a kid. “The seats next to us are vacant.” Hyomin explained the obvious to a not so five year old kid.

Jessica and her friend Hyoyeon was looking for a vacant seats. Hyoyeon pointed the seats next to Yuri and Hyomin. The students infront even offered their seats to Jessica making Yul comment that they should have sat in front. To Yul’s luck, the campus crush declined with a smile paralyzing that weak souled student. Somehow the others are just plain starstruck. Hyomin thinks she’s the only one sane here. Though she enjoys watching how her fellow seniors just fall dead as Jessica walk pass them.

Again, Hyomin felt Yul’s nonstop tap. She sighed at how her friend even lost the ability to call her. Her shoulders are hurting now because Yul kept tapping her nonstop. She looked at Yuri with a deadpan expression.

“Move.” Yuri mouthed while still tapping her shoulders.

“Yah! Stop tapping my shoulders.”

“Move.”

“Huh?”

“Move.”

Hyomin gave a what-the-hell look.

“Please. It’s a chance for me to sit next to her. We’ll never know if there will even be a next time.” Yuri said with her pleading aegyo. Which, by the way, does not work on Hyomin. She still finds her friend ridiculous.

“Please, please, please.” Yul beg. And when Jessica almost reached the vacant seat. Yul tickled Hyomin making the latter stand and yelled “Stop.” Jessica and her friend stopped and looked at Hyomin.

Hyomin stared at Yuri who still was mouthing “Please.” How pathetic her friend looked. And how pathetic she might have look right now as not only does Jessica and Hyoyeon are looking at her but also the rest of the students in the bus.

“Um… what I meant was…umm… don’t sit there.” Hyomin said to Jessica. Yuri tugged Hyomin’s shirt and the latter tapped her hands away. “Jessica.” Hyomin started again as if she needs to call her attention. Jessica was still looking at her with a questionable expression. Hyomin smiled. She made a mental note to kill Yuri for making her look stupid in front of the entire bus. She supports her friend being lovesick but Hyomin didn’t want attention. Not now not ever. She sure will kill Yuri after.

“You should sit here.” Hyomin offered her seat which is next to Yuri.

“Thank you but we’ll just sit on the vacant seats.” Jessica said and turned to seat to the 2 vacant seats next to them. Hyoyeon went in first.

Hyomin grabbed Jessica’s hand making the latter stopped. She wouldn’t take no for an answer. As much as she hated the situation she is in right now but she does not want to be embarrassed in front of these people. “Mianhe.” Hyomin retracted her hand feeling that she was aggressive. “This seat was reserved for you. I was just sitting there to keep it warm.” Hyomin made an excuse.

“Yeah the seats are cold.” Hyoyeon agreed.

Hyomin made a mental note to thank her.

“Arasso.” Jessica said and sat next to Yuri.

“Thank you.” Hyomin smiled sweetly at Jessica while the other didn’t bother to look at her. She saw Yuri mouthed “Thank you.” Hyomin just replied with a stern look. Then Yuri mouthed, “I’ll repay you bigtime.” Hyomin nodded. She’ll accept Yuri’s payment. She’ll make sure that Yuri will pay her huge debt. But still she’ll kill her friend for making her do this which is beyond embarrassing.

“Do you mind if I sit here?” Hyomin asked Hyoyeon as if she needs to.

“Sure.” Hyoyeon played along.

“Thank you. I’m Hyomin.” Hyomin extends her arm.

“Hyoyeon.” Hyoyeon said shaking Hyomin hands. “You’re lucky this seat is vacant.”

“Wah the stars might be on my side.” Hyomin played along.

“I’m glad they on your side but not on mine. You see, this was supposed to be for my friend but she bailed on me.” Hyoyeon playfully said enough for Jessica to hear her twisted statement. She just wanted to friend who looked at her.

Hyomin felt Jessica’s stare and it has that chilling effect. Hyomin was sure that the rumors are true. Jessica, the Ice Princess, whose icy stare can send chills to your spine and eventually paralyze you. “Maybe, just maybe, she does not have a choice.” Hyomin said making an excuse for Jessica. She was partly at fault. Jessica was just next to her. Hyomin was thankful that the aisle was separating them somehow.

Still Hyoyeon teasing didn’t end. She sure enjoys teasing Jessica. “I don’t think my friend is a push over. She sure has a choice. She’s strong and firm to what she wants. Nothing can really persuade her to do otherwise…unless…” Hyoyeon purposely hang her sentence.

Hyomin can feel the temperature dropiing and she sure know why. She heard some students complaing that it suddenly felt cold. She didn’t dare look at Jessica’s direction cause she wans’t sure if she will be alive after doing that. “Maybe you are right. But maybe your friend is also kind. She might be helping someone out.”

“Hmm… is that so? I doubt it.”

Hyomin is finding it difficult because Hyoyeon is purposely teasing her friend. And she needs to make sure that Jessica is not ticked off because she was the one who asked the other to sit next to Yuri. And Yuri… Hyomin looks at Yuri and finds her friend lost in her own world unaware that hell is about to break loose.

“From what I see, your friend has a big heart. I think she just helps someone from being embarrassed in front of a bunch of people. She might not know that person too well but still she decided to help her. I’m pretty sure that the person she helped appreciates what your friend has done. She owes her big time.”

Hyoyeon hummed in response somewhat satisfied or just tired of the teasing. Hyomin was thankful that it has come to an end. “So my friend helped this stranger. I wonder what this stranger will do to make it up to my friend.” Hyoyeon was clearly enjoying this conversation.

“If I was this stranger, I’ll repay your friend if given a chance.”

“Ahh hopefully she does. This world will be a better place if most people are like that.”

“I think she will.”

“Then I’ll take your word for it, Park Hyomin.

“You sure can, Kim Hyoeyeon.”

 Hyoyeon broke into a laugh and Hyomin followed. They chatted. While on Yuri’s side, well… Jessica is silent looking at nowher in particular with her uninterested face while Yuri is still lost in her lovesick world probably thinking of a way to start a conversation.

“You take photos?” Hyoyeon asked making Hyomin stop staring at her friend’s direction.

“Neh. I’m with the yearbook club and I’m in charge of documenting this field trip.”

“Ah…then will a photo of me?”

“Sure can.” Hyomin started taking photos of Hyoyeon who is making funny expressions.

Hyoyeon then took out her phone and took a selfie with Hyomin. “Sica! Hyomin is taking pictures for the yearbook. Come on pose for the camera.” But Jessica seemed uninterested.

“Yes, let me take a picture. You too Yuri.” Hyomin said helping her friend out. She made sure to add this to the list of Yuri’s debt.

The other students also requested to have their picture taken. Since there was no teacher with them and the bus was moving at a steady pace, Hyomin complied. She took pictures in front and at the back. Hyomin does enjoy taking pictures. She was walking towards her seat when the bus suddenly stopped making her stumble a bit. Hyomin was about to fall but luckily she was able to hold on to the seat in front of her. Her left arm was on the head rest while her right arm was on the arm rest.

So if her left hand was on the head rest while her right hand was on the arm rest then what happened to the person sitting on that seat. It surely was not Hyomin’s seat. Well, that person was unharmed. Thankfully, Hyomin managed to avoid hitting that person. But…yes, there is a but… they are in an awkward position. Looks like Hyomin has that person locked into her seat. The other person who was locked on her seat was… well… let’s just say that she is not very athletic. Heck she does not give a damn about a lot of things. Like if you jump off the cliff shouting your confession for her, she might just walk pass the whole thing… sad but it is based on true events. But this time her reflexes (yeah she has reflexes…who knows) worked swiftly trying to support the other girl. Her right hand was on the others left arm and her left hand was on the other’s waist. So it’s not just Hyomin has the girl locked in between her arms. But the other girl named Jessica Jung was indeed supporting her. We can say that she did catch the girl who was accidentally falling into her. (And I say this literally). Both were shocked to even make a move. Hyomin and that person’s face were only less than 3 inches apart. Both eyes were a big and round as it could get due to the shock of what could almost have happened.

“Gwenchana?” Yuri asked making the two come back to their senses.

“Neh.” Hyomin answered but Yuri was not concerned about her but with Jessica. Hyomin stood up. She could only shake her head at her heartless friend. But at least it was progress because Yuri has now started a conversation with Jessica. Not that Hyomin intended to purposely fall onto Jessica.

“Yah! You should be careful.” Yuri scolded Hyomin.

“Mianhe.” Hyomin apologized to Jessica who seemed to still be in a slight shock. Hyomin. “Gwenchana?” Hyomin asked Jessica slightly touching her arm.

“Neh.” Sica replied.

“Mianhe.” Hyomin answered.

“Take a sit Hyomin. It’s dangerous walking around while the bus is moving. You can take pictures afterwards.” Yuri scolded.

Hyomin was dumbfounded by her hypocrite friend. Earlier, Yuri was signaling her to take more pictures. Still Hyomin went to sit back to her seat.

“Uhg that was emabrassing.” Hyomin sighed but enough for her seatmate to her.

“Nah, no one really noticed so don’t worry.” Hyoyeon reassure. Well it did happened quickly so not everyone saw it but some did. And well… some will tell the tale.