uno

Adagio

Baekhyun quickly sits up when he sees the rather unfamiliar white ceiling after waking up from a sound sleep. He looks at his surroundings and places his hand on his chest.

 

Oh right, he thinks, When will I ever get used to this place?

 

The petite Korean male scratched his head and lazily walked to the kitchen of his apartment and helped himself with some pastries he bought the other night, accompanied with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. As he munched away, he observed his apartment and started sinking in a pool of thoughts, it still doesn't feel like home.

 

It's been a year since he moved to the beautiful city of Milan. After years of hard work, he decided to move away from South Korea to unwind and immerse in the beautiful Italian culture.

Or at least that's what he says to himself.

 

South Korea was his home, it was where he created his memories, where he completed college, where he started a career in the field of arts, and where he met Park Chanyeol. God, he can't seem to forget about him.

 

Park Chanyeol was a tall (much, much taller than Baekhyun), lean but muscular man the same age as Baekhyun. He met him in high school, or what Baekhyun likes to call it, a place of dark memories. They were in the same class, and sat beside each other in their first class together. Ever since that day, they were stuck to the hip, even in reckless situations that would lead them to detention. 

 

Chanyeol was great at everything. He had good grades, was a member of the student council, and was immensely popular. Despite all that, Chanyeol remained humble and enjoyed the simplicity of things. Baekhyun has always admired him for that, in fact, he adored his big-eared friend more than necessary.

 

Baekhyun noticed and loved the littlest things about Chanyeol.

He had this pair of protruding huge ears that Baekhyun loved to play with.

He had this cute habit of pursing his lips when worried.

He knew his favorite guitar chord was the D chord.

 

Everything, you name it.

 

Baekhyun's thoughts were disturbed by the sound of his alarm.

 

I'm late for work!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Baekhyun loves working at an art museum. He may not be that fluent in Italian yet, but his skills in speaking English were excellent. He enjoyed hearing the reactions of tourists to the masterpieces laid out before them. People from all over the world come to see them. It's like every piece they see is a wonder. Even Baekhyun himself never grew tired of the sight of Renaissance paintings. 

 

Baekhyun placed his phone in his bag and took a deep breath. Another day has passed.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

If there was a list of guilty pleasures by Byun Baekhyun, eating gelato right after work would be ranked number one. He always had a sweet tooth, and proclaims that it is his quest to taste all flavors gelato could offer. He rejects the fact that frozen yogurt is better than gelato. (Baekhyun also denies that he is getting chubbier day by day).

 

Despite loving the idea of people creating art movements that are unorthodox, Baekhyun likes living his life in a routine. That way, everything is organized, smooth, and worry-free.

 

This was his daily routine.

 

Except it isn't.

 

"I-I'm sorry! I was walking too fast because I thought that there were a bunch of thieves following me and I'm lost cause I've never been here before--"

 

Because someone bumped into him and now his hazelnut gelato is on the floor.

 

His. Gelato. Is. On. The. Floor.

 

He wipes his eyes (no, they are not tears) and turns away. 

 

The stranger tightly and swiftly holds his wrist.

 

"Baekhyun? Is that really you?"

 

That voice.

 

"What are you doing here, Chanyeol?"

 

"I've been looking for you for three months! I called you a hundred times, texted you a million messages, and found out you're here! Don't you know how worried I was--"

 

"No, I don't," Baekhyun tries to release his hand from the taller man's grip. But Chanyeol only held tighter.

 

"Well now you know. I know you hate me right now, Baekhyun, but I'm determined to win you back." Chanyeol says in a cold tone.

 

"Win me back? Then what? Make me watch you break my heart for someone who only wanted your money? Don't give me that again, Chan-" Chanyeol pulls him into a warm embrace and he feels the top of his head getting wet.

 

"F-Forgive me, I didn't believe you and that was the biggest mistake I ever did. I love you and you know that. I traveled halfway across the world just to see you, just to hold you like this again. I love you. I love you so much it hurts."

 

Baekhyun uses all his might to push him away.

 

"You're wrong. The biggest mistake you ever did was that you didn't love me enough."

 

Chanyeol sadly watches his past lover walk away.