1/1

Theatre-Film Students.

Class was let out after Baekhyun’s performance. As he went back to gather his things, Chanyeol trailing semi-awkwardly behind him. Sehun stood up and swung his backpack over his shoulder. He stood tall and slipped one hand in his pocket leaning to the side.

 

“Hey, Baekhyun.” Sehun said in a lackluster way getting the other’s attention. Baekhyun paused before he left the class and turned to Sehun. Chanyeol awkwardly running into Baekhyun’s back at the sudden stop. “I’m working on a film project and I was wondering if you’d like to try out for one of the roles?”

 

Baekhyun’s face lit up because he never turned down an audition. Baekhyun was probably the most eager in the department when it came to auditioning. He always got pretty okay parts, mostly because directors felt a little bad for him. He tried out for everything. If it wasn’t for his singing talent, he would probably always be in the chorus roles or the cameo. Musicals were usually his big break.

 

“Sure thing, Sehun!” He practically yelled as he walked back towards the younger but taller boy. “Do you have any details so; I know where to go?” Chanyeol stood by the door not really sure if he should join his friend as Baekhyun approached Sehun.

 

Sehun kept his flat expression as he fished for a flyer in his backpack, bringing it out slightly crumpled and handing it over.

 

“See you then!” Baekhyun winked and his heel walking back to Chanyeol and leaving without another word. “Come with me backstage really quick, Yeol.” Baekhyun said in slight disinterest as he tried to read the paper in his hands and walk at the same time. Chanyeol helped make sure he didn’t run into anything.

 

“Alrighty, Baekhyun.” He held the door to the backstage area open for Baekhyun. Who thanked him and continued walking, slipping the paper in his prop bag.

 

‘There he is!’ Baekhyun smirked as he walked up to Kyungsoo, the boy who always got the leads. Baekhyun considered him to be his competition, but if you asked anyone in the department Baekhyun was out of his league. Kyungsoo, however, loved to humor the boy.

 

“Guess who was just OFFERED a role?” Baekhyun said in a semi-cocky voice as he approached Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo had a soft smile grow on his face upon hearing the other’s voice.

 

“You?” Kyungsoo mused. This seemed to get Baekhyun even more wound up, his eyebrow even twitched.

“Yes! Sehun wants me to be the star of his film project.” Baekhyun said in a full on cocky voice. Chanyeol bit his lip and looked between the two, instantly knowing that this was the ‘rival’ Baekhyun always went on about.

 

“Good, I hope you do well.” Kyungsoo said with a polite smile and as he goes back to his work on sewing on some buttons to a suit jacket. But looks up immediately when the girls at the table next to him greet a newcomer to the room.

 

“Hi, Jongin!” They all say, Jongin smiles back at them a little timidly and replies with a small hey, unknowingly causing the girls to swoon.

 

“I will, I’ll be the best lead!” Baekhyun huffs, and looks up at Chanyeol grabbing his hand, he pulls the boy behind him and out of the room.

 

“Hey, Kyungsoo.” Jongin says as he sits across from the boy. Jongin sits straight and confident, but oddly relaxed. He is so effortlessly perfect. Every girl and a handful of the boys are always swooning over him. It’s never a surprise when your friend leans over and tells you in a whisper that they have a crush on him. He doesn’t really talk much and he auditions for few roles, always choosing to be a supporting character. In musicals he always auditions as a dancer.

 

“Hi, Jongin.” Kyungsoo smiles at him. He places the needle down for a second and directs his attention to the boy. Ignoring the giggles from the girls in the room. “How was your week? — I mean weekend.” He backtracks remembering that it is Monday.

 

“Pretty good, I went out with Junmyeon and Jongdae. But they started talking about Graduation and it got me a little…upset. I mean I should be graduating also, but my grades for my core were too low so I have to retake my math and science classes.” Jongin groans and crosses his arms on the table and puts his head down in them.

 

“Oh…” Kyungsoo looks at his friend feeling a little conflicted about what to say. He pats Jongin’s shoulder a bit awkwardly. “I could help; I mean I haven’t done math in a while but I was okay at it?” He offers. Jongin sighs and picks up his head resting his elbows on the table and his cheeks in his palms.

 

“Thanks, that would help.” Jongin smiled warmly, eyes staring at Kyungsoo’s directly. Kyungsoo timidly sent a smile back, because when Jongin smiles at you, you have to fight really hard not to blush.

 

Sehun walks in just then and turns to both boys. He walks over and stands by their table and gives out a flyer to each.

 

“I’m having auditions. It would be really cool if you guys came.” He spoke to both boys and gave them an awkwardly forced smile. Before they had a chance to reply Sehun was already out the door. Sehun walked in a relaxed fashion.

 

The boy looked like he never stressed about anything. His expression was always flat, but he wasn’t completely emotionless. Jongdae swears he saw Sehun shed a tear while watching their production of Romeo and Juliet.

 

He continued through the hallway and out of the building, he was lost in his thoughts about how the hell he was going to film his project. He had a location and he picked a good script. And he is trying to gather the perfect cast together. The film looked perfect in his head, and he would hate for it to be anything less.

 

“Hey, Sehun.” A calm voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked behind himself and stopped his steps. Yixing grinned at him. He was wearing a large hoodie that looked like a Christmas tree. He had a Taco Bell burrito in his right hand and his left hand holding the handle to his guitar case. Sehun made a face, a bit of a cringe from secondhand embarrassment. Yixing was great, just a little bit…odd.

 

“Yixing.” Sehun smiled the smallest smile when Yixing approached him. They both continued on walking. “Hey, now that I have you here, I was wondering if you can do some scores for my film.” Sehun fumbled with his bag not wanting to pause his steps. He pulled out a small booklet. “This is the script, want to look over it and see what you come up with?”

 

“Sure.” He took a bite of his food and tried to speak but his words were muffled.

 

“Hm?” Sehun lifted a brow and leaned in a little to hear better.

 

“When my hands are free, I’ll have a look.” Yixing chuckled and tilted his head gesturing to a table under a tree. Both boys took a seat and Yixing took a look at the script Sehun handed him. He was silent as he read. The only noise was the rustle of the wrapping of his burrito as it got smaller. Sehun didn’t mind though, he looked around campus.

 

“Are you having auditions?”

 

“Yeah, later today. Like around 7pm… I’m going to have everyone meet in the lobby, then find a classroom.” Sehun brought his attention to Yixing.

 

“Maybe I’ll pop by.” Yixing stood handing Sehun the booklet and he simply waved as he walked away from the younger boy.

 

Sehun sighed and smiled softly to himself, resting his chin in his palm.

 

~

 

It was 7pm, Sehun paced the lobby. The only one here was Baekhyun who was doing these annoying vocal exercises. He kept yelping and howling. Sehun really wanted to punch him in all honesty.

 

Minutes passed and soon Minseok, Jongdae, and Junmyeon rushed in. Out of breath and laughing they walked up to Sehun. Minseok held out a cupcake to the boy.

 

“Sorry we’re late! Jongdae though it would be fun to run in the cold weather all the way from Starbucks. Turns out it’s a lot farther than we thought.” Sehun took the cupcake from the boy. It was slightly beaten up and the frosting was dripping off the edge. Sehun made a face but thanked the boy.

 

Jongdae who was coughing in a fit of laughter smiled at Sehun. “We c-came! Cheer up, son!” He hollered and threw his arm over the other’s shoulder. He was slightly on his tip toes.

 

“I’m not your son.” Sehun rolled his eyes but there was no venom in his words. “Can we wait a little longer?” He asked. It was nearing 8pm and Baekhyun was getting antsy.

 

“Let’s just do this!” Baekhyun whined. Junmyeon made a disappointed face at the boy for being so childish.

 

“Hey, guys!” Kyungsoo walked in. “I’m sorry Sehun, I was napping.”

 

“What is he doing here!?” Baekhyun growled. Kyungsoo gave Baekhyun a breath-taking smile.

 

“Hi, Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo said in the friendliest tone. Before Baekhyun could yell anything else Jongin and Yixing showed up. Sehun smiled softly and cleared his throat. His smile disappeared.

 

“Alright, thanks for being late. You guys really know how to make a boy sweat.” Sehun tried to joke but his expression was so flat the only one who offered a chuckle was Junmyeon. “Follow me, please?” He turned around and walked down the hall. They found an empty room and Began to take seats. Sehun passed out parts of the scripts. “Okay so we’ll go in alphabetical order so…we’re starting with Baekhyun.” Sehun took a seat and Baekhyun popped up, perky as a thorn. A really painful thorn.

 

Each boy gave a good performance and Sehun was pleased. That Chanyeol guy even tried out, he came by to pick up Baekhyun and Baekhyun pushed him to at least try.

 

“Hey, Sehun. Why is the cast just a bunch of dudes? It’s a gay film isn’t it?” Jongdae wiggled his brows, Sehun spit up a piece of his cupcake in embarrassment.

 

“No, it’s about friendship, I need a good group of friends.” He spoke and stood up. “All of you did good. I’ll message you guys on facebook and tell you if you got the parts. I’ll see you in rehearsals.” He waved at them and left the room before they did.

 

“He’s so strange.” Yixing said as he put the hood of his Christmas tree sweater up and walked out of the room.

 

“Yeah, he’s the strange one.” Baekhyun said raising his brows and taking his exit with Chanyeol.

 

“Jongin, Soo?” Jongdae cooed at both boys. “Would one of you give us a ride to Starbucks?” Junmyeon and Minseok stood behind Jongdae both looking happy.

 

“I can.” Kyungsoo said and said bye to Jongin as they all left leaving him alone for a moment. Jongin smiled lightly and turned off the lights as he took his leave. He slipped his hands in his pockets and walked in a comfortable silence.

 

The air was chilled and it caused Jongin to shiver slightly. He was so stressed about his classes. He was starting to think auditioning for Sehun’s project was a bad idea. It would take up all his time and he needed to prepare for a semester of math and no friends. Most of the people he grew close to were leaving. His best friends being Jongdae and Junmyeon. Although, he was sure they just thought of him as a tag-a-long most of the time. Kyungsoo was a good friend and he will be here next semester also. He was so tempted to text Sehun and cancel, but he wanted to do this. 

 

He got to his car and took the scenic route home.

 

-----

I am a theatre/film student and this story's inspiration was taken from my life as well as my classmates and friends.