Epilogue

Summer Daze

10:00 AM-11:00 AM: Check Out

 

Jinyoung felt a dull ache as Jaebum's mother pulled her sedan into the gravelly camp parking lot. He'd been hoping she would run late or hit a traffic jam, but she'd arrived at 10:00 on the dot, the exact time their camping adventure came to an official close.

 

Jinyoung glanced back at Mark, biting his lips. “That's our ride.”

 

Mark exhaled in disappointment, giving Jinyoung's fingers a little squeeze. “Can't you go home with me instead?”

 

“I don't want to impose on your parents. Besides, Mrs. Im is expecting me.”

 

“I know, I know.” He sighed again. “I don't want you to go.”

 

Jinyoung's heart fluttered happily in his chest. “You gave me your address, and you're not that far away from me. Summer's only just started, so I'm expecting you to visit.”

 

“Of course. I'm your boyfriend now, after all. That means you and I will be having dates, right?” Mark's grin returned. “Tomorrow. How about tomorrow? Or if that's too soon, two days from now? I can come over to your place, or you could come over to mine.”

 

Jinyoung nodded. “I'll ask my mom as soon as I'm home.”

 

“Good.” Mark squeezed his hand again. “So I guess this is goodbye...for now.”

 

“Yeah...”

 

“I just want to say...meeting you...getting to be with you...”

 

“Ugh, stop, I want to vomit,” Jaebum groaned loudly. “Did you notice us standing right here?

 

Jinyoung turned his head, blinking as if he'd been snapped out of a dream. Sure enough, he'd completely forgotten that half of his cabinmates were standing nearby, either staring at them in disgust or with a wide this--is-good grin on their faces.

 

Jackson gave Jinyoung a prod on the with his shoe. “OH MY GOD, JINYOUNG, YOU FORGOT YOUR WALLET IN THE CABIN,” he yelled for everyone's benefit. “AND MARK, YOU FORGOT YOUR HAT. Now get the heck in there and do a goodbye makeout session and get it out of your system so we can go home in peace.”

 

Jinyoung was about to protest in embarrassment that it wasn't necessary, but Mark apparently didn't feel the same way. He pulled Jinyoung along with him back to the cabin, his grip firm and steady.

 

When they were inside, Mark quickly spun him around, then grabbed him by the waist to pull him in for a deep and thorough kiss. He still tasted a little bit like maple syrup from that morning's breakfast, and Jinyoung loved it, how sweet it felt, how happy he was to have it. He grabbed Mark by the shoulders and kissed him back as eagerly as he felt. There was a strange swell of pride in the whole thing. This person is my boyfriend. I am dating someone like this, and he loves me.

 

“Mmmm,” Mark murmured pulling back a little. “You have such a smiley way of kissing.”

 

“I can't help it, I'm happy,” Jinyoung said honestly.

 

“And here I am, being all sad because I won't be able to see you for a few days.” He pecked Jinyoung's lips again. “We'll text, yeah?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Good.” A longer kiss, his fingers gently the heated skin of Jinyoung's neck. “You're not allowed to forget about me.”

 

“You too.”

 

“As if I could.”

 

“I don't know, you seem like the kind of person who would text me back only 12 hours later.” Jinyoung glanced out the window. “I should really go back. Mrs. Im is waiting.”

 

“Just one more kiss,” Mark murmured.

 

“...yeah, just one.” Jinyoung leaned into him, taking his lower lip in a slow kiss, savoring the taste so he could remember it all the way home, so it would fill his every dream until he saw Mark again.

 

“One more,” Mark repeated when that kiss was over. Even before Jinyoung answered, his lips were on him again, tugging gently, begging him to stay.

 

“One more,” Jinyoung said, grabbing Mark's hand the second he finally pulled away. “Just one, this time.”

 

“Yeah...”

 

“Mmmm. Wait...don't stop just yet.”

 

“You're so cute, Jinyoungie. One more.”

 

“Mmmm. Mark, I really...”

 

“Need to go...?”

 

“Yes...but...”

 

“One more?”

 

Please.”

 

0

 

“You said something before this whole thing started,” Jaebum said, tapping his foot.

 

“Yeah, I say a lot of things,” Jackson said innocently. “It would be really nice if you stopped bringing up all the ones that make me look dumb.”

 

If you're not making out by time we're heading home, I'm the biggest idiot who ever walked this Earth, Im Jaebum.

 

“Well, I never specified who you had to be making out with. If you want to go back to the other empty cabin and take care of that, I'm game.”

 

Jaebum gave him a look. “Are you sure you're not just trying to avoid 'the biggest idiot who ever walked this Earth' title?”

 

“Nah, I'll accept that. But seriously, I'm not about to deny myself a repeat of yesterday.”

 

“No.”

 

“No?”

 

“I'm not done testing you.”

 

“Ugh, come on. I'm thinking it would be fine to make out while we're rebuilding trust. Personally, I think it would help you rebuild your trust much faster.”

 

“You seem to be underestimating exactly how pissed off I am with you. I did warn you about that, right?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, if this doesn't work out, I'm going to be pissed, and most of all I'm going to be pissed at you, and trust me you don't want me to be pissed at you for this, I remember.”

 

“Good.”

 

“Jaebum?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Have I ever mentioned that you're ing hot when you're pissed?”

 

Jaebum narrowed his eyes. “Is this how you're going to play it?”

 

“You wanted me to be more honest, right? That thing you do with your jaw is lethal. Literally. I think I could cut myself on that thing.”

 

“Jackson Wang, I swear to god...”

 

“I'm just pointing it out because I love it.” Jackson lifted his hand, showing his purple mood ring. “And you.”

 

Jaebum fell silent, his lips pursing together.

 

“It's OK if I was wrong about the making out thing,” Jackson said. “In fact, I am glad the person Jinyoung is face with in the cabin isn't you. I will happily remain the biggest idiot who has ever walked the Earth if I still have a chance to walk it with you.”

 

God,” Jaebum whispered sharply, tilting his head back. When he'd regained his composure, he looked back down at Jackson, a slight glint in his eyes. “Once a month,” he said.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“You're still on strict probation. But you're allowed a free day once a month.”

 

“A free day?” Jackson's eyes widened. “As in...?”

 

“A free day when I won't be pissed. I'll just be...” He trailed off and nodded to Jackson's ring. “Purple.”

 

Jackson felt like he could jump up and down with joy, but still couldn't resist teasing Jaebum. “Purple? You're going to use a six letter word in place of a four letter word?”

 

“Don't press your luck, idiot.” Still, Jaebum smiled a little. “This wasn't so bad, huh.”

 

“What wasn't?”

 

“Camp,” he said simply. “It wasn't so bad.”

 


 

Two Days Later...

 

Jinyoung studied his reflection in the mirror for what felt like the millionth time. He'd put a lot of effort into his look for the day, but now he was wondering if it looked just as forced as it technically had been. You could practically smell the newness of his jeans and t-shirt, and if not that, there was the fact that if Mark felt even the slightest compulsion to his hair when they got together, he'd quickly discover how lathered up with gel it was in an effort to have it look as perfect as possible. He'd probably guess within seconds that Jinyoung had spent all morning getting ready and find the whole thing completely hilarious. After all, Jinyoung knew from camp that Mark was the kind of person who could roll out of bed looking naturally gorgeous without any extra preparation.

 

“Come on, Jinyoung,” one of his sisters whined from the hallway. “Stop hogging the bathroom.”

 

Jinyoung stuck his head out. “What are you still doing here?” He'd bribed his siblings earlier that morning to spend the afternoon and early evening shopping so they wouldn't be there when Mark arrived and make a big scene about it.

 

“How do you expect me to leave if I can't do my eyeliner and pee first?” She shoved Jinyoung out of the bathroom and shut the door behind her. “Calm down, OK? I don't know who you're trying to look hot for, but you've got good genes naturally and don't have anything to worry about.”

 

Jinyoung retreated back to his bedroom with a sigh. He hoped that was true. It probably was. He just couldn't shake the feeling that came from going from an adventure back to reality. Every single day at camp, even the bad ones, had been special and a little magical, but ever since he'd gone home, it had been normal, mundane life of taking out the trash, being nagged by his sisters, and going to bed in his neat and tidy room with no crickets chirping in the distance or rowdy roommates gambling until the late hours.

 

And having that feeling made him worry that his whirlwind romance couldn't exist in the same mundane world he'd returned to. Being with Mark had fit in a backdrop of sunshine and cool water and the smell of pine and campfires. Was it really going to be the same in Jinyoung's bland room, surrounded by his old childhood knick-knacks and boring clothes?

 

Still, when he went to his mirror and saw the polaroid of Mark and him together on their first day holding their Sun and Moon signs, he felt a deep, physical ache somewhere within him that reminded him that the feeling that had been born within him hadn't gone anywhere. It was under a new roof with a different landscape, but it wanted to be with Mark just as badly as he had the moment he realized he was falling in love.

 

After twenty minutes, the doorbell rang and Jinyoung bolted downstairs and opened the door. Mark was standing outside, looking incredibly chic in a tight pair of jeans and stylish summer shirt Jinyoung had remembered seeing at the store when he'd gone shopping for the outfit he was wearing right now. Mark's hair also looked incredibly styled, unlike the careless way he'd worn it at camp.

 

Jinyoung's lips curled into a grin, relieved to know Mark had spent just as much time preparing as he had.

 

Mark also chuckled as he sized up Jinyoung. “Seriously,” he said, flashing a sheepish grin. “I look like I'm trying to make an impression, right? But now that I'm seeing you right in front of me, I can't remember why I was so nervous.”

 

“Me, too,” Jinyoung said grinning back. All of his anxiety had completely flown away—in a single moment, Mark had brought the sunshine and atmosphere and magic back with him, and Jinyoung's world had been instantly brightened into something as far from mundane as it could possibly be. “Come on in.”

 

Jinyoung led Mark up to his room, grateful for the empty house so he wouldn't have to go around introducing Mark to his entire family. He was proud to have him as a boyfriend, but also well aware that he couldn't just announce him as such so quickly.

 

Mark glanced around Jinyoung's room curiously for a few moments. “It's like I was imagining,” he said at length.

 

“How so?”

 

“Neat with lots of books.” He jerked his thumb towards the mirror and the polaroid placed there. “And you and me.”

 

“I missed you,” Jinyoung said in a small voice.

 

“Yeah,” Mark said. “Me too.” He took Jinyoung by the arm, traveling his way down to Jinyoung's hand before lacing their fingers together. “My whole family has been asking me about camp non-stop, and all I can remember is you. On Day 1, I was so relieved and happy that I had such a nice buddy, but was completely jealous that he was going to be spending the whole time thinking about his boyfriend. On Day 3, I would have already given anything to be his boyfriend instead.

 

“And how does it feel to get your wish?”

 

“It feels like I'd like to get my wish a little more.” He wrapped his arms around Jinyoung and finally leaned in to kiss him. It had only been two days, but Jinyoung had gone through enough anxiety in those two days to make it feel like much longer. He eagerly cupped Mark's cheek, drawing him in closer. It was a different feeling from the first few times since it was happening in the comfort of home, in his room, but it added a dimension he hadn't been expecting. Mark's presence in Jinyoung's regular space cemented it even more as reality rather than just a fleeting, summer-induced fever dream. The fact of their being alone in an empty house also reminded Jinyoung that this could easily move past a line it hadn't gone before. There were no fellow camp members watching them or schedules to follow or obstacles in their way. It was just them.

 

Mark seemed equally aware of him as they kissed. His hands had moved to Jinyoung's waist, and every so often they twitched there, seeming torn between remaining where they were and lifting up the hem of Jinyoung's shirt. Jinyoung wasn't even all the way sure what he wanted them to do. All of this was so new to him, and he couldn't distinguish between the budding excitement and the ever-present caution in his heart.

 

“Jinyoung,” Mark exhaled, pulling away slowly. “God, I just missed you."

 

“I... I really, really missed you, too.”

 

“Come here.” Mark pulled Jinyoung into a sitting position on the bed as if it belonged to him and not Jinyoung. Jinyoung sat down beside him, the excitement and caution both welling within him again. His thigh was pressing up against Mark's, and it felt warm and he wanted to touch it but at the same time he didn't, he just wanted to sit and talk for hours, or at least part of him did, and the other part wanted to tackle Mark and keep kissing him until he couldn't breathe.

 

Jinyoung couldn't read Mark's mind, but he could feel him shifting beside him, also experiencing some measure of anxiety. “I'm not really the best talker,” Mark said softly. “But I should be clear, shouldn't I?”

 

“There's something you wanted to say?”

 

Mark swallowed and nodded. “I'm...1000% serious about you. I just really want you to know that. I know it hasn't been long since we met, but... something just clicks with you. I don't even have to wonder about it, because it's just there.”

 

Jinyoung nodded. “I feel the same.”

 

“I don't want to tear through your life, coming out of nowhere and just doing everything to you all at once and making you worry that I'll leave just as quickly. I want to...” He in his breath. “Well, if I'm being honest, I want to kiss you and touch you and have you in this bed the second you tell me you want to. But I also want to take you out on a lot of dates and get to know you even more, so much so that I'll know things that even Jaebum doesn't know about you. I want to be...not slow paced. But paced like a long term romance. Not a summer romance.”

 

Jinyoung nodded. It was comforting to realize Mark was thinking the exact same way that he was. “I know what you mean,” he said, leaning his head on Mark's shoulder. “I'd like the exact same thing.”

 

“Glad to hear it.” Mark pressed his lips into Jinyoung's hair. “So, I hope you'll tell me what you want first. If you want to go out for dinner or take a walk along the river, I'd love to do that with you. If you just want to stay here and enjoy our reunion for awhile—” he gently ran a thumb along Jinyoung's lower lip— “I'd like that, too.”

 

“OK,” Jinyoung said, gently kissing the thumb against his lip. “I'll stay right here with you for twenty minutes. Let's see how much you can fit into that timeframe. After that, let's go to the river and I can tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about me. How does that sound?”

 

“It sounds perfect,” Mark said finally. “Do those twenty minutes start now?”

 

“Ye-”

 

His response was cut off by a thick and hungry kiss, and he happily received it, pulling Mark's warm body against him. It was exactly what he was looking for, urgent and longing enough to satisfy the thudding want that was now a part of him, but tender enough to remind him that it wasn't just a kiss that belonged in a magical world that only existed in summer. It existed in every part of Jinyoung's life, something real and important, something he was sure he would take with him wherever he went, into autumn and winter and spring and into summer when it came again to wrap them up in the sunshine they had found each other in.

 


 

Six months later...

 

It was a tricky thing, not having a single clue when Jaebum would decide to officially forgive him.

 

One day was such a vague timeline to go on, and of course, it was hard to forget the part where Jaebum had added maybe not even this year. Six months had passed, and having six more months go by without Jaebum feeling 100% assured with him was a very present possibility. Jackson didn't really know.

 

He thought he'd been on his best behavior, for the most part. He'd stopped flirting with other people entirely, which was pretty easy because he'd lost all interest in other people. He'd been 100% supportive of Jinyoung's freaking adorable relationship with Mark and had never brought up anything that may have happened in Jaebum's own brief “relationship” with him. He hadn't badgered or pressured Jaebum about anything. His mood ring had dutifully remained purple—Jackson had even stayed home sick one day because it had turned blue out of nowhere and he was terrified Jaebum would dump him if he saw. Luckily, it had reverted back to purple by the next day, thanks in part to a spectacularly dirty Jaebum dream, or so Jackson assumed.

 

And his monthly “free day” was very happily and cautiously enjoyed. He didn't want to risk saying something stupid and messing things up again, so when those days came around, he simply brought Jaebum home, turned off the lights, and kissed him with a month's worth of desire, not stopping to say anything more than the honest words he felt: I love you. You're so perfect. I want you so much. Jaebum was equally quiet and gentle on those days, kissing him back and touching him, but not revealing anything more than he'd already revealed. Loving him, because Jackson knew Jaebum loved him, but maybe not all the way forgiving him.

 

And Jackson could understand that. He'd messed up, and it was important that he learned from his mistakes. Still, it felt a little hard sometimes watching Mark and Jinyoung spend a blissful summer together, constantly leaving little pecks on each other's cheeks and proudly calling each other pet names and 'boyfriend.' Jackson wished that Jinyoung had been able to meet Mark ages ago, so that he would have known right away that Jinyoung was meant for someone else and not Jaebum, so he would have seen clearly that Jaebum was his own object of affection and no one else's.

 

But that wasn't the way life worked. He had to take his story at its own pace. He couldn't drag Jaebum's heart wherever he wanted to take it without remembering that the very real and surprisingly sensitive human being it came attached to had been hurt by that too many times before.

 

He loved Jaebum—he knew that, too, without a doubt. And because he loved him, he was ready to wait.

 

And it wasn't as if waiting was all bad. Even outside of their “free day,” things were going pretty well between them. They still argued from time to time because they always did, but Jinyoung being wrapped up in Mark meant most of their free time was together, and Jackson got to be the one always at Jaebum's side rather than Jinyoung. He felt like he was learning a lot about Jaebum from that, and a lot about himself as well. He was so used to taking himself lightly that it was almost shocking to open his eyes and realize how preciously Jaebum took him in comparison to how he thought of himself. Jaebum always treated Jackson with a degree of seriousness, even when he was being silly and ridiculous. Jaebum would throw his head back and laugh hysterically when Jackson told a joke, but he didn't treat every word that came out of his mouth like a joke.

 

“You know what,” Jackson said one day when he was over at Jaebum's studying for a history exam. “I bet the last words you want to hear coming out of my mouth is 'Jaebum is perfect for', but I have to say it. Im Jaebum is perfect for Jackson Wang.”

 

Jaebum looked at him with a lifted eyebrow. “...why are you saying that this time? Did you read an astrology book? Do our star signs match?”

 

Jackson shook his head. “Nope, but I'm pretty sure you've made me a better person and slightly less idiotic, so there's that. You said before that I made you want to be everything I thought of you. Well, you've done the same to me. You've made me want to be the Jackson Wang you believed in so much.”

 

Jaebum's expression got a little bit odd at that. He pushed aside his history book and crept closer to where Jackson was.

 

“Um... Jaebum?”

 

“Free day,” Jaebum said. “I'm calling it.”

 

“But-” Jackson's reminder that they'd just had their last free day a few days ago was swallowed up into his kiss. Technically it wasn't against Jaebum's “rules” since it was the first of the month and thus not going over the monthly allotment. Still, Jaebum usually wasn't this adamant or controlling of when the free day would be. Usually he let Jackson pick.

 

But Jackson forgot to care or be surprised within seconds. He was too busy wrapping his arms around Jaebum and pulling him close to kiss him back, relishing it while it was his to have. This person loves me, he reminded himself. That's been true for the past six months. He loves me.

 

Jaebum pulled away after a few minutes and looked down at him. Jackson was already leaning up to rejoin their lips, but Jaebum placed a hand over them before he could.

 

“Your ring,” he said in a heavy voice.

 

Jackson looked down at it. He realized in horror that it had turned orange—whatever that was. Probably angry or depressed, knowing his luck.

 

“Oh, , Jaebum, I swear-”

 

“No,” Jaebum said sharply. He pulled the ring off of Jackson's finger and lobbed it into the trashcan. “This time you tell me how you feel. Not the ring.”

 

“Well...” Jackson squirmed under Jaebum's body. “If we're being honest, it's a pretty solid mix of in love, , frustrated, desperate, and .”

 

Jaebum didn't look annoyed by any of this. He simply leaned in closer, holding Jackson's eyes. “And? What do you want?”

 

Jackson's eyes widened. Wasn't this exactly what Jaebum said he was going to ask when he was done testing Jackson? Was he finally ready to forgive him?

 

“I want to be with you,” Jackson breathed, holding tight to Jaebum's back. “I want you to be with me.”

 

“Yeah,” Jaebum said with a small smile. “And you sure took your time, didn't you?”

 

“I don't want to hear that from you of all people.” Sighing in relief, he leaned up and pressed his lips against Jaebum's neck. “I love you, yeah?”

 

“You'd better.” He squeezed Jackson tight and started kissing him again. There had always been an air of restraint when they did this before, but it was finally gone. Jaebum's hands roamed over him, their bodies pressed against each other, a slight moan crept into the kiss.

 

Mine, Jackson thought willfully. Meant for me. My soulmate.

 

When Jaebum pulled away, his lips spread into a grin. “Orange means passion, by the way,” he said.

 

“Sounds about right,” Jackson said, laughing. “You sure you want to throw that thing away? Seems pretty damn accurate to me.”

 

“I don't need it,” Jaebum said. “I know how you feel. The same as me. I don't need anything to tell me that ever again.”

 

 

-FIN-

 

A/N: Surprise! Since tomorrow is all about Eyes On You, I decided to post our finale a day early. I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing! Please keep leaving your thoughts, reading them always makes my day!

And since this wraps up Fic #1 from my blog poll last year, those of you who voted may be wondering: what's next? Fic #2? Fic #3? The answer is: BOTH! They'll be posted at alternating weeks (Fic #3 one week, Fic #2 the next week). The reason being that I actually finished writing both, but since the chapters are long (as always), I want to give myself plenty of time to edit thoroughly. If you bother me on my ASK, I might even give a few teasers ;) The first posting will be coming in two weeks, so please be patient! In the meantime, I'm sure there will be more Cinnamon & Spice to tide you over :D

Once again, thanks so much for reading. See you next time!