Goodbye to Goodnight

Goodbye to Goodnight - Jungmin

The day slowly crept along at an agonizingly slow pace. Checking your phone once in a while for any new messages, feeling more and more empty with every blank screen that lit up on your command. Lingering eyes rested on your phone, wishing, hoping, praying that the screen of yours would light up any second. 

Returning back home, without any new messages that day, you tossed your phone into the couch cushions as you made your way to the kitchen for some dinner. Greeted by leftovers in the refrigerator, you rifled through the plastic containers until you found some food that sounded appetizing to you. 

Once the food was heated, you shuffled over to the couch, kicking off your shoes before folding one of your legs underneath you and settling into the plush cushions of your couch. Turning on a movie of your choice, you contently ate your day old food while the story line played out before you. Peering at your phone occasionally, you moved the phone between your hands after placing your emptied food containers on the floor in front of the couch. Pressing the button, you manually lit up the screen just before your thumb brushed across the screen unlocking it to your will. Tapping on your messaging app, you clicked on the sporadic conversation between you and Jungmin, adjusting your phone between the two of your hands, you slowly began to type a message to him. Yet once you reached the end of what you wanted to say, you reread the message a handful of times. 

Pressing the backspace, you erased your message one letter at a time. Placing your phone to your side, credits rolled across the screen. Gathering your emptied containers, you moseyed to the kitchen flipping a single light to keep you company. Washing the dirtied dishes, your mind began to slip off into the abyss as to thoughts of what he is up to right now, what he thought of your message, or what it would be like if he walked through the door at this very moment. 

Soap bubbles began to run off of the containers once you soaped them. Placing them in the drying rack, a foreign buzz sounded in your apartment. Snapping your head up, you searched for the origin of the sound. Searching your apartment, you scampered over to the couch finding your phone stuffed between the cushions with it’s screen lit up with an awaited message. 

Debating if you should pick it up, you crossed your arms while your heart pleaded for you for answer it, or just glance at the message that remained on the lit screen before it grew dim to dark.

Ripping your phone from between the cushions, you shoved it into your pocket not wanting the temptation to open the waiting message. Shuffling back to your bedroom, you closed your door and went through your nightly routine. Once you were all tucked in underneath your covers, you plugged your phone into the charger bringing your phone’s screen to life once more. 

Glancing at the name written across the top of the unopened message, holding your breath, your heart stopped for a brief moment. Placing your phone back down on your nightstand beside your bed, you turned your back to the device that held your attention in an attempt to fall asleep.

Drifting to sleep for a few hours on end, you rolled back over, your eyes fixated on your phone sitting lifeless on your nightstand. Reaching out, your hand fumbled around to find the device, clasping your fingers around the rounded edges, you retracted your arm back to you. Lighting up the screen, you lowered your eyes down to the beginning of the message that was shown, your thumb drug the message down the front of the phone until the letters faded with still more to read. 

Double clicking on the message, the phone flipped through a few programs before revealing the entirety of the message from Jungmin.

I tried to send you a message earlier but my reception is terrible… I didn’t want to think that I have forgotten about you because it has just been the opposite. You haven’t left my thoughts, nor have those three words that you confessed.
I love you. You didn’t scare me away, you did just the complete opposite. Your Jungmin loves his _______ very much.

With the simple message, a smile perked itself on your lips while relief began to spread from your slowing heart. Your breathing slowed while your eyes finally closed for the rest of the night, finding comfort in the simple message that he had sent. 

Over the next few days, the two of you had sent a few texts back and forth to one another. Just catching up on what each other was doing that day mixed with a compliment or two if the time difference between the two of you aligned. Occasional goodnight texts were exchanged along with good morning texts, however you two normally fell asleep to one another in the spare time that you two were able to give one another. 

A soft light hung over your shoulder as your legs tucked up underneath you, a big soft blanket laid over your legs while an opened book laid on your lap. Your fingers slowly ran over each of the pages before you turned page after page to the left. The hours began to drag on as the pages left to read became fewer and fewer, a knock on your front door sparked your attention as your eyes finished reading the sentence before you looked up to the front door with a quizzed look on your face.

Waiting a moment or two, a stronger knock came from the door as you stood to your feet. Removed the blanket from your legs and placed your bookmark in your book. Adjusting the waistband on your yoga pants, you made sure that the bottom hem of your t shirt fell down to the middle of your thighs. Standing on the tips of your toes, you peered out of the peep hole.

Flipping the locks to open the door, you pulled the door open slightly to see a man standing in the breezeway of your apartment complex. A beautiful ebony shirt fit his figure flawlessly while nicely fitting jeans outfitted his lower half while his dark shoes and his belt seemed to match flawlessly.

“_________, it’s so good to see you” His words filled with relief and comfort just seeing you through the sliver of an opening of your front door.

“Jungmin… is it really you?” You allowed the door to open more and more as your hand retracted from the door handle.

“It’s me, love” He whispered with a reassuring nod. Without a second thought, you stepped out of your apartment and wrapped your arms around his torso, his arms found his way around you as his shoulders rounded trying to encase you the best that he could.

Feeling his arms tighten around you, your arms grasped the soft fabric of his shirt between your fingers as you couldn’t help but melt into his embrace.

“You don’t know how much I have missed you…” You whispered into the dark of his chest.

“I think I have an idea” He pressed his lips against the crown of your head as his fingers spread across your back, pulling you closer against him.

Eventually pulling away from one another, you peered up at him as he smiled down at you, still dressed in your t shirt and yoga pants.

“Do you have any plans this evening?” He asked gently rocking you from side to side.

“If I did, I don’t anymore” You giggled as he smiled and nodded.

“Why don’t you get on your shoes and a coat so I can show you something?” He offered with a smile on his lips, your eyes shot down to your outfit as you just realized that you weren’t dressed up for him.

“Ah… yeah… sorry you had to see me like this…” You told him removing your hands from around him and tugging your t shirt downwards knowing that he had only seen you a time or two beforehand.

“Don’t worry about it, you still look as beautiful as ever” Jungmin’s hands gently cupped your face as he pressed a sweet kiss on your forehead.

“Won’t you come in?” You questioned moving back into your apartment.

“I would love to” Jungmin smiled as he entered into your quaint home. 

“I’ll just be a moment” You skipped off to your bedroom

“Don’t take too long, I said that you looked beautiful just the way you are!” He called after you with a smile, seeing your figure disappear behind the white door of your bedroom. 

Changing into some jeans, you pulled a hoodie over your t shirt and tugged on some sneakers as you slid your phone into your back pocket. Gathering your hair up into a ponytail, you opened the door before you finished tying off your ponytail.

“Ready if you are” You called to Jungmin as he turned from the pictures hanging on your wall as his eyes met yours.

“Like I said before, you look beautiful” He held out his hand for you as you slid your hand into his. 

Flicking off the lights on your way out, you locked up your apartment as the two of you headed down the flight of stairs as he showed you to his car. Opening the door for you, he allowed you to step in first and buckle yourself in as he rounded the hood of the car, sliding behind the steering wheel, he the engine as the lights filled the small space with a soft light.

Pulling out of the parking space, he made sure to look both ways as he headed towards the destination.

“Where are we going?” You questioned not knowing the part of town where he was taking you.

“You will see” He reached out with his hand and slid his hand into yours, “Don’t worry it isn’t too much longer” 

Turning into a beautiful, quiet neighborhood with smaller homes lining the streets with beautiful landscape to fit each individual house and the style of the owners who lived there.

“What are we doing here?” You questioned looking around as you leaned forward, out of your seat. A smile curled on his face as he unbuckled himself and stepped outside of the car, you followed his lead as you trotted around the car and stood beside him.

“You’ll need to close your eyes for his next part” He slid his hand back into yours.

“Just don’t run me into anything” You teased, closing your eyes as you heard his soft chuckle beside you, “I know you would”

“I know, but you don’t have to worry about that… just yet” He smiled as you felt his hands rest on your hips as he slowly guided you up a paved pathway, telling you to step upwards, you did so as you heard the sound of a door opening, telling you to step up again, you did so as the door closed behind you. 

“Can I open my eyes?” You cooed as he slid his arms around your torso, pulling your back against his chest as he held you in a back hug.

“Not yet” He whispered against the shell of your ear, “You know I love you, you are the only girl that I want to have my future with, the one that always gets me to smile no matter how hard or long the day is. I know that you are the one for me and I wouldn’t trade you for the world, that is why today I want to make you apart of my world, _______” Jungmin’s sweet words sung into your heart as he whispered for your to open your eyes.

Feeling his heartbeat against his chest and against your back, your hands rested on his forearms wrapped around you as your eyes fluttered open to see an immaculate home. Looking into the perfectly styled yet functional kitchen to the welcoming and warm living room, you saw a large picture hanging over the propane fireplace.

“I-I-Is this…” You questioned, falling at a loss for words.

“Welcome to our home” Jungmin smiled as he opened one of his hands, revealing the key to your new shared home.

 

Long distance was always hard, but no matter what your friends had told you about the guys that they were seeing, your mind would always turn to your boy. To what he was doing, all of the memories that flooded your mind since the beginning, all of the time that you two had spent together and the comfort he was to you.

He had given you so much more than you ever though a man could, security, love, kindness, patience, trust, and devotion. But with only a few days til you could see him, the nervous anxiety began to increase knowing that once you were there with him that you would never want to leave. Goodbyes were always the hardest. Now the only word that you have to say to him is goodnight.