Chapter 1

Courting

The hall was filled with the sounds of heavy panting and the squeaking of trainers against the wood floor of the basketball court as Jimin cautiously edged into the gym. He didn’t want to disturb the practise, but he had no other choice than coming into the gym even though it had already started. He had intended to wait in the drama room as he waited for Taehyung to finish rehearsals for his play, so he could drive them both home. That was a big no-no though, according to the drama teacher. Apparently, Jimin being there would disturb the aura for the performers, and him seeing any of the play before opening night could jinx it. Jimin wasn’t happy about being forced out, but grudgingly accepted, not wanting to make a scene with a teacher. Especially not when Taehyung was so excited about his starring role in the show. And since it was after school now, the only other room open was the gym for basketball practise.

Jimin breathed a sigh of relief when the practise doesn’t even pause, and no one really looked his way and quickly made his way up the bleachers to sat down. There’s a handful of other people dotted about, most watching the practise, and some not, but not many. He pulled his school books out of his bag, thinking he might as well make the most of the time and get something done. That was an achievement in itself. So, Jimin decided to reward himself by watching the practise for a bit before he attempted some of the math problems sat there waiting for him. It was what he expected, tall guys running around in shots and passing a ball between them. There were shouts of plays and names and accusations of fouls that went straight over Jimin’s head. He furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding a thing of the practise really. Though he didn’t really understand the math problems any more. At least this was somewhat intriguing.

They all moved powerfully and expertly, clearly comfortable in their movements and skilled with the ball. But there was one player who stood out amidst the team. He was tall, but not overly so like some of the guys on the court, and was lean but built, with strong forearms and thighs that seemed to pop as worked through the practise. He had floppy brown hair and large hazel eyes and smooth tanned skin. He was gorgeous. Jimin was entranced, unable to tear his eyes away from how he moved so energetically and confidently, giving his all to the practise. He carried an air of authority with him as well. Jimin noticed how the other players seemed to respect him and listen to him almost as much as the coach who stalked the side of the court with his whistle. Was he the captain?

There was a pause in the practise, the coach stepping forward to give directions to some of the players, and the guy who caught Jimin’s attention took the opportunity to stretch, his arms reaching high above his head and his white shirt riding up. Jimin breath caught in his throat at the sight and looked down quickly, sure his face was blushing. When he dared to look up again, practise was resuming, and the guy was bouncing the ball around and passing from hand to hand, showing off his skills and smirking as he did so. He knew exactly what he was doing, and he was enjoying teasing his teammates by doing it. The shouted at him, earning a light chuckle from him which was music to Jimin’s ears and made his heart hurt, and then the practise resumed properly.

By the time the practise was over, Jimin had already fallen fast for the guy. He had an intrigue for basketball now and his school work still sat beside him untouched. He started shoving his books back in his bag, chest burning with disappointment that the practise was over, and he couldn’t watch anymore, as the players finished warming down and heading to the changing rooms. Taehyung had text, saying he was finished, and he would Jimin by his car. Great timing. He stood, throwing the bag over one shoulder, and spared one last glance at the players. The guy looked just as good from the back, strong, wide shoulders and a tight that practically had Jimin drooling. Wow, Jimin was weak.

Taehyung was waiting by the car like he said he would be, and easily accepted the kiss on the cheek he got in greeting with a smile. He unlocked the car and they both clambered in, Taehyung immediately launching into sharing every minute of the rehearsal in great detail so Jimin didn’t feel bad about missing it. It sounded like he had fun and that had Jimin smiling widely.

“I’m really sorry you got kicked out, Chim. That wasn’t very nice.” Taehyung pouted a bit.

Jimin chuckled, letting go of the wheel momentarily to poke Taehyung’s cheek and help push the pout off his lips. He really didn’t like seeing his best friend sad. “It’s okay, Tae. I went to the gym and watched the basketball practise. It was pretty cool. I had fun seeing it.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.” The reassurance was enough, and Taehyung smiled again, perking up and getting over his sadness. Jimin hadn’t been lying, the practise had been cool, and he did have fun watching it. Though most of the fun had come from watching that one guy.

“Jimin?” Jimin looked over to Taehyung, raising an eyebrow in response to the questioning tone he had used. Taehyung stared at him for a few moments, deep in thought, and then his face broke into a wide grin and his eyes lit up.

“You’re interested in one of the players.”

Jimin spluttered at the accusation, using his need to focus on the road to try calm down before he looked back at Taehyung who was laughing at him and bouncing in his seat in excitement. “W-what?” Damn himself for stuttering.

“I know you, Chim Chim. You’ve got that look on your face.” He pointed, finger close enough that it was almost poking him in the eye. Jimin batted his hand away and made a turn before he responded.

“I don’t have any look on my face.”

“Yeah you do. The ‘I’m excited and nervous about this crush but also a little guilty because I’m not telling my best friend about it’ look.” Taehyung said with surety and a nod that seemed final. Jimin couldn’t help but laugh. He was sure he didn’t have any look, but he guess he must have had something for Taehyung to be able to read him. That was exactly what he was feeling. And of course, his best friend could read him so well.

“Someone may have caught my attention.” He grudgingly admitted. He was excited about talking about his new crush with Taehyung, but he would have fun teasing him and drawing it out a bit.

“I knew it!” Taehyung practically squealed. “Chimmy has a crush, Chimmy has a crush.”

Jimin laughed and shook his head. He didn’t bother to respond as they drew closer to Taehyung’s house, letting the other enjoy his excitement and get himself worked up over Jimin not giving any details just yet. When they pulled up next to his house, he turned to his freaking out best friend and took hold of his flapping hands and got him to calm down.

“Yes, I have a crush.” Taehyung immediately started talking again, and Jimin reached over the centre console to cover his mouth with his hand. “Let me talk if you want details, okay?” He waited till Taehyung nodded, and removed his hand when he did. “I watched him play and he was amazing, clearly a great player. And he’s so attractive, Tae. It took everything I had not to pout like a dog in heat right there in the gym.”

Taehyung laughed along. “Which player was it? What’s his name?”

Jimin bit his lip. “I don’t know actually. It’s not like I could have just interrupted the practise to ask.”

“No, you go up and ask after, you fool.” Taehyung said as though it was obvious. Jimin sighed and shook his head. He never got how forward his best friend could be, even with people he liked. He was never scared of making a fool of himself, which is something he did a lot, like when he face planted the floor right at Namjoon’s feet when he was trying to ask him out. But it all seemed to work out for him. Jimin probably should find some confidence in it working out for Taehyung, but he was still too scared most of the time to be that forward himself.

“Well I didn’t, okay. I think he was the captain. He was kind of helping run the practise.”

Taehyung nodded and then pulled his phone out, scrolling through a few pages, before he made a noise of triumph and held his phone up to Jimin’s face. Jimin chuckled and took hold of Taehyung’s wrist to pull the phone back so he could actually see what he was being shown. It was a photo of two people in their school’s basketball uniform, one of them who Jimin recognised as Chanyeol, someone who he knew around school and was friendly with through Tae, and the guy he had fallen for.

“Is that him next to Chan.”

“Yeah, that’s him.” Jimin breathed out. Seeing the way he was easily smiling and shining with pride in his uniform was touching and Jimin was even more attracted to him.

“Jeon Jungkook.” Taehyung announced, pulling his phone back. Jimin had to bite back a sound of disappointment at loosing the phot. “He is captain of the team. And a very good player. He’s a year younger than us.”

Jeon Jungkook. Jungkook. Jimin tried the name a few times in his mind. He liked it. It definitely suited the guy.

“You’ve got good taste, Jimin, he’s very attractive.” Taehyung said and Jimin sent him a small glare. “What? He is. If I wasn’t a taken boy, I’d have tried my chances with him already. But alas, I am committed to Namjoon hyung. You’re lucky about that.” Jimin laughed and shoved his shoulder and Taehyung made a noise of protest, pouting at him for a few moments before bursting into giggles himself.

“You know, he’ll be at the party this weekend Baekhyun invited us to. I can text him and let him know we’ll be there.” Taehyung said with a suggestive look.

“Why would we be there?” Jimin asked, confused. They had both agreed to not go to the party. They did like parties most of the time, but this one was going to be very packed and the type of people going were usually heavy drinkers. Jimin and Taehyung had decided it would be better for them to give that one a miss.

“So you can woo Jungkook of course. You gotta get on that man before someone else does.”

“Shut up.” Jimin said with a shake of his head, but he found himself smiling again at Taehyung’s playing. “I don’t know, Tae.”

“Come on, trust me. We won’t stay for long, and all you have to do is be your gorgeous, fun self. Let me prove how great a wingman I can be.” Taehyung had a pleading look in his eyes.

“Alright.” Jimin agreed with a groan, and Taehyung yelped in joy and excitement. He really found it hard to deny his best friend, and he knew Taehyung was trying to have fun, but deep down he also was trying to look out for Jimin.

Jimin knew he had committed himself to attending the party and following whatever Taehyung came up with. When Tae set his mind to something, he always followed through and always went with it hard. So of course, he received a text from Taehyung a few hours later when he was laid out in bed actually doing the math problems he had put off saying that Baekhyun was looking forward to seeing them and the plan was a go. Jimin was grateful for Taehyung for pushing him to go out there and try this. He was going to see Jungkook at a party and maybe even talk to him. That was exciting, and Jimin was smiling for the rest of the night, his mid filled with thoughts of his gorgeous body and face.

-

Jimin was always blown away by how fast Taehyung could make things happen when he focused. He should have been used to it by now, but he really wasn’t. One moment he was in the kitchen, taking his first sip of the ‘Demon’s Breath’ punch Chanyeol was raving about, and the next he was being forced into a circle of people that included Jeon Jungkook. Taehyung had connections to everyone at their school. A friend of a friend of a friend. That was what it took to worm his way into a conversation with Jungkook and his close friends for him and Jimin. Most of them were members of the basketball team as well, and their talk of games and plays and strategies went straight over Jimin’s head. Instead, he spent his time watching Jungkook as he sipped on his drink, staring at his gorgeous physique and his exquisite features. He was like an Adonis.

Jimin jostled when Taehyung’s elbow knocked into him, his hand wobbling and sending some of the punch onto his fingers. He grimaced, thinking about how sticky his fingers were going to be, and that earned him another elbow from Taehyung. He turned to his friend with a glare, and Taehyung rolled his eyes in return and nodded his head towards Jungkook. Jimin knew what he was trying to say. ‘Get stuck in there.’ Jimin couldn’t just get stuck in there though. He didn’t find it as easy as Taehyung did. If he could, then ideally, he’d already be over the other side fo the circle, wrapped up in Jungkook’s arms. Taehyung nudged him again though, and Jimin may be nervous, but he wasn’t a coward and he didn’t let his nerves rule him. Especially when he knew how well getting stuck in there could work.

“The high five was pretty stupid.” Jimin said loudly, cutting through the group’s conversation over new celebration techniques for when baskets and points were scored. They had tried some out the other day at the practise, and Jimin, sat on the bleachers watching, had seen them all.

“I thought it was like funny stupid, though?” One of the others said with a frown at Jimin. He stood taller and puffed out his chest. Jimin rolled his eyes at the show, such a typical jock thing.

Jungkook sighed and slapped the other’s puffed out chest with the back of his hand. “No, he’s right, it was just stupid.” He looked back to Jimin and titled his head cutely, looking surprisingly innocent with his curiosity. “Were there any that weren’t just overwhelmingly stupid?”

“The fist bump one wasn’t too bad.” Jimin shrugged and gave a little smile to soften the blow, and Jungkook smiled back at him. It made Jimin’s stomach flutter, the way Jungkook’s plump lips quirked upwards so elegantly, and how Jungkook way paying attention to him and valuing his opinion.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Jungkook said with a nod and Jimin almost squirmed with pleasure and pride. He held back though and managed to keep seeming calm and not embarrass himself in front of the new people and the guy he had a crush on.

The conversation carried on after that, talking plays and strategies and past games and famous players, and Jimin was completely lost. He knew nothing about basketball. He had never seen a game before, never paid attention to anyone playing it until he had seen Jungkook yesterday. He couldn’t name a single famous player. He had nothing to contribute to the conversation and he wilted as the group moved on and Jungkook’s attention left him and he focussed on his friends instead. Jimin wasn’t pushed out of the group, despite his inability to join the discussion, but he felt awkward and out of place and he wandered away anyway with a frown on his face and his heart dropping.

He found Taehyung making himself some weird concoction of alcohol, and Jimin laid his head on his shoulder. “Can we go please?” He mumbled, and Taehyung – being the bestest best friend in the world – left his drink there on the table and they left together. Taehyung was pushy, but he would never force Jimin past his limit. He did it all to make sure he was happy. He clearly wasn’t happy now. The alcohol had lowered his inhibitions and control, and he couldn’t keep the pout off his lips.

“What happened?” Taehyung asked quietly as they walked down the quiet streets towards their houses. Jimin explained how he had felt out of place, how he hadn’t been able to contribute to the conversation. How he had lost Jungkook’s attention just as quickly as he had gained it. Like Jungkook thought nothing of him. Taehyung stopped them to hug Jimin at once, knowing how much Jimin needed and wanted the comfort then. Jimin felt better after that, though still disappointed and down that his attempts hadn’t worked.

“Sometimes it takes more than one try, Chim.” Taehyung said with a slight frown. “I know it’s hard, but you can’t give up. I was lucky with Namjoon hyung, we were already friends when I asked him out. You and Jungkook are completely different. Let’s find something for you guys to have in common, yeah? And then we can try again from there.” Jimin nodded along with his words. It did make sense. Jungkook didn’t even know Jimin, and Jimin only knew him this week. It would take a bit longer. He clung to Taehyung’s words, getting hope from them, and set his mind to following in his friend’s footsteps to keep trying and make this work out.

-

Jimin woke up the next morning feeling groggy from the late night and the alcohol he had. It left him smacking his lips from dehydration and his limbs feeling heavy. He staggered downstairs and chugged a glass of water to clear his mouth and throat, checking his phone as he did so. He had a cheery snapchat from Taehyung already – once again showing his unique ability to never really have hangovers which constantly left Jimin amazed and jealous – and a text from his Mum saying how his parents had gone to a car boot sale and wouldn’t be back till the afternoon.

He made himself some coffee and wandered back to his room, his safe space, and curled up in bed with some anime playing on his laptop. But his thoughts were stuck on the previous night. His stomach still churned at the thought that he had missed his chance to impress Jungkook. To make himself seem attractive and interesting. He had caught his attention, but had completely failed at keeping it. Jimin had to resist the urge to pull open his closet and use the full-length mirror on the inside of the door to assess his appearance. He felt unattractive and ugly being so easily passed over by Jungkook. Logically he knew it had nothing to do with how he looked, and it was completely due to the lack of common interest between the two of them since Jimin knew nothing about Basketball, but he couldn’t stop the anxiety spiking within him. He wondered what it’d be like to be as attractive as Jungkook. Jimin had seen it at the party, guys and girls watching him and whispering, awed by how gorgeous he was. Jimin was one of those people himself. The other male had to have so many options to choose from, if he wanted to have his chance Jimin had to work fast and had to get something in common with him.

He spent the rest of the day wallowing in his self-pity and trying to come up with a plan. He even spent a good hour researching basketball online, but it had all gone straight over his head. He’d always been better at learning by doing. He had given up was lying on the couch with an arm thrown over his eyes and the tv softly playing the background, when the sounds of feet hitting concrete, a ball bouncing, and metal rattling reached his ears. It was quiet enough outside that the sounds were clear and easy to hear over the low volume of the tv. And they easily drew Jimin’s attention. He drew back the blinds of the front window and peered out, seeing the source of the noise being Min Yoongi playing basketball on the drive next door.

The Parks had been next door neighbours with the Mins since before Jimin had been born. Both their sons were older than Jimin and his brother but there was only a year between Jimin and Yoongi so the two had grown up close. 6-year-old Jimin had been convinced he and ‘Yoonie hyung’ would be best friends forever. But the year difference had an effect. They grew apart with different interests and different social groups. Jimin found a best friend in Taehyung, and Yoongi in Hoseok who was also his age. And now Yoongi was in his first year of university and seemed more like a ghost or a memory to Jimin than an actual person anymore.

But he was there, solid, and real, and Jimin smiled softly as he watched him play, watched him enjoy himself and seem so confident and sure of himself. Then it hit him, like a bolt of lightning shot down to strike his brain back into action; Yoongi was very good at basketball. He had been the captain of the school team the past two years before he graduated and Jungkook and inherited the spot. He had been the star player. Realising this had Jimin scrambling to shove his feet into his shoes and a hoodie over his head. It Jimin wanted to learn about basketball, then who would be a better teacher but Yoongi.

He dashed out the front door and stopped in-between their two drives and watched as Yoongi expertly tossed the ball into the basket and then picked it up again as it bounced back towards him. It was amazing watching him play, the control he had over the ball and how solid and grounded his stance was. It seemed different from what Jimin had seen of Jungkook, less energetic and showy, but no less effective.

“Hey, hyung!” Jimin called, and smiled brightly and waved when Yoongi looked over at him.
Yoongi’s eyes widened in surprise at seeing Jimin stood there watching him, but he smiled back warmly. “Hey, Jiminie.” He bounced the ball a few times before shooting again, rolling right back into playing. It wasn’t awkward, the two of them easily falling into a comfortable silence with the years of friendship and intimacy between them.

Jimin watched Yoongi play for a while, unsure how to bring up the favour he wanted from his old friend. But in the end, he knew the only way forward was just to say it. They’d never fussed about before the two of them, even after growing apart they had always found it easier to be open and honest and even blunt with each other. “Can you teach me how to play?”

Yoongi caught the ball in his hands and stood up straight to observe Jimin. He tried to be casual and nonchalant, standing with his arms by his side and his weight on his leg. He couldn’t help the way his fingers played with the hem of his top and his teeth dug into his bottom lip nervously though. And Yoongi still knew him, so surely he’d notice all of that as well despite Jimin’s attempts to hide it. “You wanna learn how to play basketball?” He asked, face scrunching up in confusion.

“Yeah, I want to start doing some exercise and I always thought it was an interesting sport.” Jimin let himself get excited, let the prospect and idea of finding a way to grow closer to Jungkook and a chance to reconnect with Yoongi fill him with joy and hope and play it as though that was about learning basketball. It wasn’t necessarily a lie. Jimin should probably start doing some exercise again and the sport did interest him a bit.

Yoongi’s face relaxed a little, but his brow remained furrowed and his nose scrunched slightly. “You don’t need to start doing exercise, you’re ridiculously active and you go on those hikes on the weekend. And I don’t remember you ever expressing any interest in basketball before, even when you watched me and dad play on Sundays.”

Jimin’s mouth fell open in shock at Yoongi’s words. He remembered those weekends from years ago when Jimin and his mother would have a picnic in the front garden and watch a 6-year-old Yoongi first start playing basketball with his dad. Even Jimin didn’t remember those Sundays. He only knew of them because his mother telling him about them in a mix of other childhood stories. And he was shocked and awed that Yoongi knew about the hikes Jimin had just started no more than a year ago. He didn’t realise that the elder kept track of what he was up to and doing. He felt ashamed because he really hadn’t kept track in return at all. He knew hardly anything about Yoongi’s life now.

“You can never have too much exercise.” He said when he got himself together again. “I don’t think it’s fair that you’re basing my interests off then, when my favourite food was fish fingers and my life goal was to be a dinosaur.” Yoongi raised an eyebrow at Jimin, before he started chuckling, and Jimin found himself laughing in response as well. It was easy to enjoy himself with Yoongi. Even after the years of distance between them now.

“You would have been a very cute dinosaur.” Yoongi said after their laughter has faded to content smiles, and the words and the sincerity in his voice had Jimin’s face flushing pink. “But I’m a university student now Jiminie, I have to do, I can’t just waste time teaching you basketball.” Yoongi said with a shrug and a smirk. He was teasing.

Jimin was enjoying it though and was happy to play along. “Oh, please Hyung.” Jimin whined, lifting his hands to squish his cheeks cutely to half annoy Yoongi and half endear him. “I’ll do anything, I swear. I’ll owe you a favour.”

“A favour, huh?” Yoongi quirked an eyebrow in interest. He bounced the ball once and then shot it at Jimin. Jimin fumbled the ball a bit but did manage to catch it, and he looked up at Yoongi with a proud smile. Yoongi didn’t seem impressed though. “Alright I’ll do it, but I’m gonna need at least five favours for all the work it’s going to take to teach you.”

“I’m not going to be that bad. Plus, you can ask me for anything. One favour.”

Yoongi scoffed. “You’re going to be terrible. But I’m a nice hyung, so I’ll do it for three.”

Jimin pouted and looked down to the ball in his hands and then up at the hoop. Yeah, he’d never played basketball before – not even tried to shoot a basket – but he was athletic and coordinated. He took aim and tried shooting, sure he could prove Yoongi he wasn’t that bad. The ball sailed straight past the hoop and slammed into the wall of the Min’s house, so close to one of the upstairs windows that it shook in its frame, and then bounced back down to the ground and into the street. Jimin grimaced and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, turning to Yoongi who was staring, mouth agape at Jimin. Okay, maybe he was that bad.

“Okay, three favours are fair.” Jimin chuckled nervously and Yoongi shook his head at him.

-

Jimin sighed as he watched Jungkook shoot another perfect basket and then fist bump Yugyeom again. The fist bump celebration Jimin had told them to use, which had him smiling uncontrollably and squirming in his seat every time he watched them use it. It had become a regular thing for Jimin, to find his way to the hall at the end of the day and watch Jungkook practise. He told everyone it was because he was giving Taehyung a lift home after his club had ended. As far as he was aware everyone believed him. Apart from Taehyung that was. His best friend knew exactly what Jimin was doing and spent every second of the ride room teasing him over it. That was expected though. What else were best friends for?

Jimin could take the teasing though, because he knew it was good-natured, and it was worth to get to see Jungkook and to get to see him play. Since they were in different years, Jimin hardly ever saw Jungkook around their school. Only occasionally catching glimpses of him walking through the halls during school hours or in the busy, packed cafeteria at lunch. But at the after-school practise, Jimin could see him front and centre, and he actually had a reason to look at him and watch him as well. And watching his was nice. He looked so good playing, his muscles flexing and his face set with determination and concentration. Getting to just sit and watch the beautiful guy was worth the teasing that came with it.

The practise wrapped up again, the team ending their practise shots and cooling down with jogging and then some stretches. And then the players were separating and talking or heading to the changing rooms. A few gave Jimin a nod or a smile, recognising him now he was there so often, and Yugyeom even threw him a wave which Jimin returned with a small smile. He was starting to get used to that from him and Jungkook. The two friends had recognised him from the party and had responded positively to him being there, seeming to buy the excuse that he was waiting for Taehyung.

Except this time, Jungkook didn’t just wave and then head off with the other players. He gave his own little wave, but stayed in the hall to have a quick hushed discussion with Yugyeom, before he was rolling his eyes and then heading up the bleachers. Right to Jimin.

“Hey there.” Jungkook greeted, still sounding rather out of breath from the practise. His muscles were popping from the workout and the slight sheen of sweat on his darker skin really emphasised them. Jimin’s mouth was dry at the site.

He swallowed and managed to find his voice though. “Hello.”

Jungkook sat down next to him with a sigh and let his head hang low between his spread legs. Jimin frowned at seeing him seem so exhausted. “Hard practise?”

Dark eyes peeked out through his damp fringe and thick lips quirked up in amusement. “And then some.” Jungkook sat back and stretched his arms above his head before leaning back against the bleachers behind them and watching Jimin lazily. “Coach is pushing us hard for the upcoming game. We have to win it, or we’ll be struggling to get in the championship. I won’t be the first captain not to get us to the championships. Especially not after how far Yoongi-hyung took the team.”

Jungkook still looked relaxed, but Jimin could hear the seriousness in his tone. It was obvious he cared a lot about the team and doing well as captain, about achieving things and going far. It was admirable. And Jimin could hear the admiration in Jungkook’s own voice when he spoke of Yoongi. Jimin was slightly taken aback by the mention, once again forgetting that Jungkook and Yoongi did know each other. Probably knew each other pretty well since they were on the same team for years. Knew each other than Jimin knew either of them. That made something inside Jimin stir uncomfortably. He didn’t like the idea of Jungkook knowing Yoongi – Jimin’s childhood friend and next-door neighbour – more than Jimin did anymore. Or Yoongi knowing Jungkook more even though Jimin liked Jungkook. Why the first one seemed to make him feel worse he didn’t know though.

“From what I’ve seen, the team seems really strong, I’m sure you’ll smash the game.” Jimin said with a warm smile, trying to encourage him and make him feel better.

“Thanks, Jimin.” His name. Jungkook knew his name. That sent Jimin’s heart fluttering and the soft way he spoke it almost made Jimin melt right and there. He managed to hold himself together as Jungkook left with a wave to go get showered and changed, but once the changing room door closed behind him, Jimin collapsed onto the bench with a whine. He was totally gone for Jeon Jungkook.

-

Training with Yoongi became a routine for Jimin. A routine that he came to enjoy very much. A good few hours every Saturday and Sunday was spent on Yoongi’s drive, practising dribbling, and passing and shooting. Jimin got quicker on his feet. His hand eye coordination got better. His aiming became more refined. He still wasn’t good, but he liked to think he was somewhat competent now, and he was still improving. Yoongi was a fair teacher. Hard and unrelenting when he needed to be, but supporting and encouraging along with it as well.

And after practise outside, they retreated to either of their houses, where they’d talk tactics and theories over lunch. If they went to Jimin’s and his mum was home, she would make them food, and at Yoongi’s the elder boy would cook for them and his dad, since the man could barely make a sandwich in the kitchen. Both their parents were joyed at their budding friendship, glad to see their kids growing close again as they had been before. The families were still close and still had dinners together and holiday parties, and now they would be better with Jimin and Yoongi being friends rather than just acquaintances. And they felt less guilty about forcing them into the gatherings. But both parents were also equally surprised that it was basketball that had brought them together again. That was obvious in their curious glances and inquisitive questions. And in Jimin’s dad outright expressing his surprise to Jimin after their first practise session.

Weeks into their practise, and Yoongi still hadn’t asked Jimin why he wanted to learn basketball. And the longer it went on, the more grateful Jimin was because the guiltier he felt. Yoongi was still the same person he had been when they were younger. He was more sarcastic and confident in himself, but he was still fun and caring and open. He was helping Jimin and he was being so kind and making it enjoyable. Jimin felt so bad because he had only really approached for the help for a chance to get closer to Jungkook. If he hadn’t started crushing on the younger, then he never would have considered building a connection with Yoongi again. It made him feel awful. Especially since they were weeks in, and Yoongi had yet to ask even one of his three favours from Jimin.

So far, the practise had been exclusive to the weekend mornings, with school and university and Jimin’s insistence on attending every after-school basketball practise. They both also had homework and projects and other friends to spend time with. But for the first time in the middle of the week, at 9 am on a Wednesday morning, Jimin found himself listening to his phone ring as he waited for Yoongi to pick. He was on break from school, and he knew the university nearby also had break this week, otherwise he wouldn’t bother coming around. He had put it off already, spending all of Monday with Taehyung, and then all of Tuesday doing chores around the house and completing most of his school work. But he still woke up ridiculously early, feeling restless.

It had been 4 days since he had seen Jungkook. A pulling was tugging in his mind from his absence. Since that first time Jungkook had spoken to Jimin, it became a regular thing at the end of the practise. As Jimin waited for Taehyung to come meet him at the gym, Jungkook put off showering and changing and sat with him to talk basketball and the practise. Jimin’s efforts with Yoongi were paying off and he could understand most of what Jungkook was saying and offer his own thoughts and opinions. It was thrilling, being able to talk to the younger and spend time with him, to have something in common. And Jimin got so used to it he felt a little lost without getting to see him and talk to him, he was so gone for Jungkook.

But it wasn’t missing Jungkook that was making him restless. The absence of the younger made him feel down, but didn’t change much. It was Yoongi that was keeping Jimin on edge and pumping him full of energy. He knew the older boy was just in the house next door, with only a few walls and a few meters of space between them. And for some reason that was driving Jimin crazy. It was a similar feeling he’d been getting at the end of the week recently, knowing it was close to the weekend and he’d be spending time with Yoongi soon, except so much stronger. With nothing else to focus on, no school and no friends and no Jungkook, Jimin was tossing and turning in bed, his thoughts filled with the blond-haired boy and his controlled body and skill with a ball. He just had to see him.

They had exchanged numbers about two weeks ago, realising that they didn’t have each other’s numbers. They had started growing apart by the time they both got phones of their own, and since they just lived next door the idea of exchanging numbers wasn’t an overly obvious thing. Especially since they had been so close without them for so long anyway before that. It didn’t feel like a necessary requirement to have Yoongi’s number on his phone like it did with his other friends. But Jimin had to admit his phone only felt full once he had saved the elder’s number in it, though he only realised after.

The phone rang for a long time and Jimin figured Yoongi wasn’t going to answer and was about to cancel the call when it finally clicked, and a sleepy voice came over the speaker. “Hullo?” Yoongi’s voice was even deeper than usual, laden with sleep and weariness, and Jimin smiled at the sound of it, imagining his hyung all sleepy and fluffy to match his voice.

“Hi, hyung.” He said quietly, instinctively not wanting to disturb Yoongi even though it was clear he already had woken him up.

There was rustling over the phone and a cough, and when Yoongi spoke again his voice was clearer but still heavy with tiredness. “Oh, Jiminie. Hey.” Jimin’s smile hadn’t dropped, and if anything, it grew wider at hearing his name in that cute sleepy voice.

“I’m sorry I woke you up, hyung.”

“No, it’s okay. It’s only…” There was a pause as Yoongi checked the time, Jimin figured. “9am. Seriously? Why do you hate me?”

Jimin laughed at Yoongi’s response. That was his hyung. He had been the same as a child, hating getting up early and loving being able to sleep whenever he could. It was because Jimin had dealt with this for so long that he found it amusing and hardly felt guilty. Plus, Yoongi was never truly mad when Jimin woke him up. He was mad when other people did, even his parents, but Jimin was always free from it. Yoongi’s parents had always given Jimin the task when he slept over because he somehow managed to avoid the other’s wrath. Jimin figured it was because he and Yoongi had grown up together, they had a certain understanding and Yoongi was used to him. He couldn’t really think of any other reason.

“Sorry, hyung.” He apologised again, and meant it, even though he was still giggling. Yoongi groaned over the phone but Jimin knew he understood the apology was sincere. “I didn’t have anything to do today and wanted to go over guards again.” They had broached on the topic a few times before, but it was important. Important to basketball in general, and to Jimin’s specific situation. Jungkook played point guard, which Jimin had learnt from the other himself in one of their post practise talks, so it was vital Jimin understood the role. And he was lucky because Yoongi had always played shooting guard so knew it well.

“At 9 in the morning?” Yoongi asked, voice filled with exasperation, but with something warm and fond underneath it that made Jimin smile and feel happy.

“Ah, too early?” Yoongi didn’t get mad when Jimin woke him up, but he had refused to do things with him because it was too early before. Jimin fully expected the same here. “Maybe we can do it this afternoon, if you’re free?”

Yoongi hissed. “No, don’t be silly. We’re both up now. You might as well come over.”

“Really?” Jimin asked, perking up with excitement. Now he would be able tog et rid of his restless and feed the part of him that was missing Jungkook.

“Yeah, Jiminie. Come on over.”

Jimin thanked him a few times before hanging up and hurrying to get ready. He threw on some easy clothes, the type that he usually wore for their sessions, but found himself pausing a little before he left to check himself out in the mirror. He wondered if he looked okay. He was wearing sweatpants and a loose top. Nothing over the top or ridiculous since he usually wore it to run around and play basketball. Was it attractive though? Did he look good in it? He had no idea why he was wondering it, but he couldn’t get it out of his mind. He ended up sighing and pulling on a jumper as well, one that was big enough to give him sweater paws and Taehyung said made him look cute. It felt better to leave his room in that as well.

Yoongi’s mother opened the door to open, and let him into the house with a warm greeting. She cooed over how cute his sweater is and Jimin felt validated in his choice to throw on the fluffy article of clothing as well. She let him upstairs with two cups of coffee for the, and Jimin thanked her heartily before bounding up the stairs, mindful of the mugs he was carrying. His restlessness had peaked now he knew he was going to see Yoongi and play some basketball to work it off.

He remembered where Yoongi’s room was, and the door is partly opened. Only open enough that Jimin could see an inch or two of the room held behind it, but enough that its significantly not pushed to or closed. Jimin hesitated for a moment, before he knocked twice on the door, and then pushed it open. It’s the same room he remembered. The same cream walls and grey carpet, the same heavy black curtains, the same large desk and scratched up wardrobe, the same three-quarter bed. But it was different as well. There were posters of newer bands on the walls, an advanced computer resting on the desk, mess littering the floor that his parents would never have let a younger Yoongi leave there. It was the same room, but a grown-up version. Just like Yoongi was the same person, but a grown-up version.

Yoongi was still in bed, eyes closed and breathing steady. He had fallen back asleep after their phone call, even though he knew Jimin would be coming around. That act of trust was touching and made his stomach flutter. He was curled up into a ball, hands tucked between his legs and face pressed into the pillow. The bed sheets had fallen away, leaving most of him uncovered, and lots of pale skin on show with the small white top and short black shorts he had chosen to wear to bed. Jimin hadn’t seen him that bare since they were much younger, and he couldn’t drag his eyes away from the thin but toned legs and the expanse of pale, delicate skin there. He only realised how creepy he was being when his fingers started to ache from holding the full mugs for so long. He blinked rapidly and swallowed hard before putting the mugs down on the desk, and took hold of Yoongi’s shoulder to shake him awake.

Yoongi’s eyes fluttered open at the gentle shaking, and he blinked a few times before settling on Jimin. He hummed and smiled warmly at him, and Jimin felt soft and weak, smiling back, and blushing slightly. Then he realised how close he had leaned to his hyung and cleared his throat and pulled back. Yoongi seemed to wake up more and he rubbed his eyes and pushed himself up to sit back against the headboard.

“Sorry, Jimin-ah, I didn’t mean to fall asleep again.” He mumbled, ruffling his hair.

“It’s fine. It is early for you.” Jimin teased a little, feeling out of place and awkward after that encounter and not knowing why. He grabbed one of the mugs and handed it over to Yoongi. “Here, coffee.” Yoongi took it with a thank you and started drinking straight away, and Jimin grabbed his own and sat down on the end of the bed. He wasn’t such a fan of coffee, but he could drink it, so he sipped at his own. The warmth was nice on a such a cold day even if the taste was a little more bitter than he preferred. They spent a few minutes like that, settling into a comfortable silence, until Yoongi seemed much more awake.

“You wanted to go over guards again, right?” He asked and Jimin nodded. He was a little surprised that they were jumping straight into, but he easily rolled with it. “You’ve got a weird obsession with them, Jiminie.”

Jimin giggled at the comment. “Maybe I have a thing for basketball guards?” Jimin proposed with a raised eyebrow and another giggle. Yoongi paused for a moment, his lips and swallowing. Just long enough for Jimin worry he had said something wrong. But then Yoongi laughed and shook his head, and Jimin chuckled. Yoongi must just still be half asleep.

They went over the positions again, branching out into some others when necessary, and Jimin gradually relaxed in the room that he used to know so well and feel at home in. He finished half his coffee and happily passed it on to Yoongi, so he could finish it. The elder was so happy that Jimin regretted not just giving him the full mug anyway. He ended up relaxing on the bed, kicking off his shoes and laying down on his front, as Yoongi slid down against his pillows so he was more laid down than sat up. Their talk about positions evolved into Yoongi telling stories from some of the games he played in school as a shooting guard. And that turned into Jimin giving his own, most about the messy and ridiculous situations Taehyung usually got them into.

They talked for hours, and only realised so when Yoongi’s mum knocked on the door and offered them both lunch. It was exciting having different food at the Min’s place for once since his mum was at home rather than work, although Jimin did miss Yoongi cooking for him. He was glad the elder got a break from having to cook though.

“I’m sorry we got so off track, Jiminie.” Yoongi said between his last mouthfuls of kimchi soup. “You came around to talk about guards and I started talking about other crap.”

Jimin made a sound of protestation. “No, hyung, it wasn’t crap. I really liked hearing your stories. And we talked more than enough about guards. I understand them so much more now. Thank you.” He smiled brightly and Yoongi nodded, cheeks flushing a little. He was probably embarrassed for his actions, and Jimin hoped he had made him feel reassured.

“Well, okay then.” Yoongi agreed with a nod. He carried his bowls over to the sink and Jimin followed suit with his own. Yoongi’s mum waved them away from even trying to help clean up and they both ran away to the living room. “Are you up to anything else today?” Yoongi asked, avoiding eye contact, and rubbing the back of his neck.

“No, nothing on. Why? Do you want me to leave?” Jimin felt the pout pulling at his lips but he couldn’t help it. He was enjoying spending time with Yoongi. He didn’t want to leave so suddenly.

“No.” Yoongi said quickly and loudly and Jimin flinched in surprise. “, sorry, sorry.” Yoongi rushed to apologise, and Jimin couldn’t help but laugh at the occurrence and his own overreaction. Yoongi looked worried at first, but then lets out a sigh of relief and laughed himself. “Sorry, no. I don’t want you to leave. Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to watch a movie or something.”

“Yeah! That sounds great.” Jimin agreed quickly and nodded. He followed Yoongi’s direction and curls up on the couch while the elder starts a film and then settles in next to him. There’s a tension in the space between them, and Yoongi muttered something to himself that Jimin doesn’t catch before he raised an arm and put it around Jimin’s shoulder, pulling him closer. Jimin’s chest fills with warmth and butterflies explode in his stomach. His favourite hyung is being close with him again. He smiles and burrows closer, pressing his cheek to Yoongi’s shoulder. “Thanks hyung.” He says sweetly, and Yoongi hums.

-

Jimin was grateful his parents spoiled him a little on days like this. Days where it was freezing outside but he didn’t have to worry about walking home from school or waiting in the cold for a bus because he had his car. And its wonderful heating. He didn’t necessarily need a car, with most things in town being close enough for him to walk to, the buses running regularly, and his parents’ willingness to give him and his friends lifts, but they still got him one when asked. He dropped Tae off at his house after school and was driving back down his street nice and slow to be careful with the ice on the road when he noticed the person hunched over and obviously shaking as they walked down the street. It was Yoongi.

Jimin didn’t think twice about pulling up next to him and rolling his window down despite the biting cold. “Hyung!” Yoongi visibly flinched at the shout, clearly having not even realised a car had pulled up beside him. He looked to Jimin and threw up a wave before looking forward and trudging on again. He thought Jimin just wanted to say hello. Jimin hissed and threw the car into reverse, pulling up next to him again. “Hyung! Get in the damn car.”

Yoongi didn’t get in straight away, and Jimin repeated himself with exasperation. It was too cold to mess around. Eventually, Yoongi clambered into the passenger seat and Jimin put the window up again to protect them both from the cold. With the older closer, Jimin could see how his fingers were curled up instinctively and shaking and how his scrunched-up nose was red. Why he was walking in such freeing cold weather was beyond Jimin.

“Where were you going, hyung? It’s freaking freezing.” Jimin asked after giving Yoongi a chance to warm up. His hyung was rubbing his hands together and blowing on them, and Jimin had such an urge to reach over and cup those cold hands between his own warm ones to help. And to find out what holding Yoongi’s hand felt like. He found himself wondering that, though he didn’t know why.

“I have an extra tutorial session at uni. It’s important for an exam so I can’t miss it.” Yoongi explained. He stopped rubbing his hands together and instead stuck them between his legs.

Jimin was confused. “Why are you walking though? You have a car.”

“My dad’s car broke down, so I said he could use mine for a few days. Forgot about this extra session till this morning though.” Yoongi admitted with a self-deprecating laugh and a shake of his head.

“You’re such a fool.” Jimin said loudly, reaching over to lightly slap Yoongi’s shoulder. He gets an affronted look back.

“Hey, I’m your hyung.” Yoongi protested, and Jimin just shook his head and ignores him, knowing Yoongi isn’t really offended.

“And damn lucky I was coming back home now. Is your session on the main campus? I’ll drive you.”

That easily broke Yoongi’s fake offended act and he spluttered at Jimin. “What? You don’t have to drive me Jimin. I can walk.” He protested.

“No, you can’t. Not in this weather.” Jimin insisted. There was no way he was letting Yoongi walk all the way to university when it was freezing outside. Jimin wouldn’t feel right letting anyone do that, and especially not someone he really cared about.

“I’m not going to make you drive me.” Yoongi was using his ‘hyung’ voice, the one he used to make sure he got his way with Jimin. He had used it a lot when they were younger, when Jimin started realising just because Yoongi was older didn’t meant Jimin necessarily had to do as he said. It was mostly pointless though, because Jimin had built up a resistance to it over the years, and it definitely didn’t work now.

“You’re not making me. I’m choosing to. And if you’re that worked up about it, how about we make it one my favours I owe you? Either way, you’re not getting out of this car.” Jimin gave him a deliberate look and reached over to put on the central locking so Yoongi couldn’t get out even if he tried.

Yoongi looked at him in disbelief and shook his head, but when Jimin didn’t relent, he finally sighed and put on his seat belt. “Alright, alright.” Jimin smiled, happy he had gotten his way and happy he was able to help his hyung. He pulled away from the street and turned in the road, so he could head towards the University campus.

“What’s your session about then?” He asked, feeling cheery from his good act and from having Yoongi in the car next to him. Yoongi seemed a little awkward sat next to him and Jimin felt a little bad about forcing him to accept the ride, but not enough to reconsider his actions. It was much better having the elder a little upset but safe and not stuck in the freezing cold. But he did want Yoongi to relax a bit, so he tried to draw him into a conversation about things he liked.

“Using this specific composing program we have to use for one of projects. It can be difficult, so they need to go through it with us before we start properly.” Yoongi said with a sigh, not impressed with having to go in for the extra session or use this new program.

Yoongi had always had a strong interest in music growing up, and it influenced Jimin as well. Regularly, their time together had involved Yoongi playing different music and Jimin forcing him to dance and play to it in exchange for listening. It meant Jimin had a greater appreciation for music though and a varied interest in genres than most of his classmates at school. And it led to Yoongi begging his parents to let him learn an instrument, easily choosing a piano because of the sounds it could make. Jimin would sit and pout his way through Yoongi’s lessons because he couldn’t be with his beloved hyung, but it was worth it after when Yoongi would play what he had learnt for Jimin. Yoongi’s interest in music was so strong that Jimin hadn’t been surprised to find out he was studying music composition at university. They had already grown apart at that point, but Jimin knew from the how close they had been how passionate Yoongi would be over it and how much it mattered to him. He had been overwhelmingly glad he was able to follow his dreams and passions like that.

“Ah, you’re going to ace that project, hyung. You’re so dedicated.” Jimin sing-songed and smiled over at Yoongi who huffed and crossed his arms.

“I’ll do my best. If it was with my usual program I could do amazing, but this is going to be harder.” Yoongi seemed to have gotten over his awkwardness at accepting Jimin’s help, which Jimin was glad for, and he shook his head at Yoongi’s response.

“I have faith in you, hyung.” Jimin tried to put all his feelings in that one statement, and Yoongi looked at him with surprise. Jimin smiled encouragingly, and was happy when Yoongi smiled back softly.

-

“He doesn’t think he’s going to do well on it because of this new program, but I know he’s going to ace it like usual. He’s so talented.” Jimin stirred more sugar into the coffee he had ordered at the café. Usually, he’d go for different fruit teas, but he’d lately found himself craving coffee more, his thoughts wandering to Yoongi as he did so. Taehyung had frowned at him when he’d ordered it, but had accepted Jimin’s explanation of him fancying something different. It was still coffee though and too bitter for him, so he was adding more sugar and creamer than most usually would.

Taehyung nodded from where he was leant back into the couch they had claimed at the back of the café. “Yeah, I remember him being pretty good in school.”

Jimin tsked and started kicking him. “Pretty good? He was amazing Tae.”

Taehyung squealed at the onslaught. “Alright, amazing.” He agreed and pulled his legs up under him to escape Jimin’s attack. “I’m surprised you guys are talking and stuff again though, I thought you kinda grew apart.”

“We did, but we’ve been talking and spending time together again.” Jimin explained and leant back against the couch as well.

“I’m glad, Chim.” Taehyung said with a warm smile, and then his smile grew into a teasing smirk and he sat forward with excitement in his eyes. “But how are things with Jungkook? All you’ve done lately when we talk is talk about Yoongi hyung. If I didn’t know better, I’d say it was him you had a crush on and not Jungkook.”

Jimin scoffed. “Don’t be ridiculous Tae. It’s still Jungkook for me. Things are going really well. We’re still talking after every practise, and I think he’s starting to see me as someone he can look to for advice. I’ve impressed him with my basketball knowledge.”

“Basketball knowledge? You have basketball knowledge?” Taehyung managed to spit out before he doubled over with laughter. Jimin frowned and started whacking at his back, which didn’t do much to help Taehyung get control of himself. Eventually he did manage to stop laughing though and he sat up and wiped at his eyes, which just made Jimin glare. “I’m sorry. But since when do you have basketball knowledge? You’ve been around it almost your whole like with Yoongi-hyung and never even learn the positions. There’s no way you’ve just magically learnt enough to impress the captain of the school’s team. Have you been researching it online or something?

Jimin sat up straighter “No, I asked Yoongi-hyung to teach me some basketball, so I could talk to Jungkook about it. That’s how we grew close again.” He said and smiled proudly. He was proud of his idea how to learn it and grow closer to his crush and at the side effect of getting his childhood friend back again.

The leftover traces of joy and laughter faded from Taehyung’s face at that. “He’s helping you get closer to Jungkook? Does he know?” Taehyung asked, frowning and voice cautious.

“Well, I never told him why I wanted to learn, but I’m not exactly hiding it.” Jimin answered with shrug. He didn’t see why it mattered.

“You need to be careful though, Jimin.” Taehyung said seriously, taking hold of Jimin’s hand

“Why careful?”

Taehyung hesitated and squeezed his hand. “Well, you can never be sure when information isn’t shared, and feelings are involved.”

Jimin smiled sadly and squeezed his hand back. Taehyung really did care too much about everyone around him. Jimin was glad he had him as a best friend. “I’m going to be fine, Tae. Really.”

Taehyung didn’t respond straight away, and there was something burning in his that Jimin couldn’t place. It was like he wanted to say more, wanted to add to conversation and explain what he meant. He didn’t though. And eventually he gave a small smile and dropped Jimin’s hand. “Okay.” He nodded and picked up his own tea again before launching into a rant about this annoying girl in the drama club. Jimin went back to his coffee and listened, but what Taehyung was holding back stayed in the back of his mind. They hardly ever held out on each other, and if they did it was only for something important. Jimin had a sinking feeling that something was going to go wrong, but he just couldn’t figure out what.

-

Leading up to the play, Taehyung was a mess. And Jimin did his best as his best friend to encourage him and make him feel better. He liked to think he helped and when they parted after school on the day of the opening performance, Taehyung wasn’t as much of a mess. Jimin wished him luck with as many kisses he could on the other’s face until he was pushed away and Taehyung was smiling widely. Jimin drove home to get changed and meet up with his parents, heart heavy with his own nervousness for Taehyung. He was sure his friend would do great, but there was that inkling of worry that he couldn’t shake. This was so important to Tae that it was important to him as well.

When they got back to the school, Jimin was practically shaking with the mixture of excitement and nerves and he clung to his dad’s arm. Taehyung had gotten them all reserved seat near the front of the audience. Not right at the front, in the front row. The seats he had been allowed to reserve there went to his parents, of course. But the next best he could get he readily gave to Jimin and the Parks who were overjoyed with the gesture and the chance to see Jimin’s best friend preform. They headed over to their seats, sharing their excitement for what the play would be like, and Jimin was distracted half way down the aisle by a familiar strong shade of blond that was sat next to their reserved seats.

“Hyung?” Jimin asked, letting go of his dad’s arm and dashing forward when he realised that it was Yoongi sat there in the audience. Yoongi looked up at the title and smiled upon seeing Jimin. He stood up.

“Oh, Jimin. Ahjussi, Ahjumma. Hello.” He said over Jimin’s shoulder and bowed at his parents as they came up behind their son. Jimin was still in shock.

“Hello Yoongi-ah.” His mum greeted warmly and pushed Jimin to move into the row and sit down. He pulled himself together and went as directed, sitting down next to Yoongi, still staring at the elder.

“You came to see the play?” He asked, voice quiet as he was still processing such an unexpected turn of events.

“Yeah, Taehyungie asked me to come.” Yoongi answered, fiddling with the cuffs of the button up shirt he had worn. He had eve dressed up smartly for the event, which wasn’t something Min Yoongi had ever agreed to easily. It made sense. Yoongi and Taehyung weren’t overly close, but they had become friends through their mutual relationships with Jimin. But Jimin really hadn’t expected it all. And why hadn’t Taehyung told him he had invited Yoongi to the opening show? His best friend usually couldn’t stop from sharing every detail of his life with Jimin, but he had somehow managed to keep this a secret, whether intentionally or not.

“Ah, okay, I’m sure he’ll appreciate you being here for him as well.” Jimin finally said, head starting to make sense of the situation.

“I hope so.” Yoongi said softly. “Especially since Namjoon couldn’t come today.” Jimin had to agree with that. Taehyung was upset that his boyfriend was going to be there for opening night and no one else was really going to fill that void, no matter how hard they tried. Namjoon had promised to attend every performance he could once he got back from his university trip abroad, and that had lightened Tae’s mood though.

The lights dimmed then before Jimin could respond and he smiled at Yoongi before turning his attention to the stage. His nervousness came back in full force then when the curtains opened, and the play began. He started fidgeting in his seat and scratching at his arms when Taehyung was on stage. He held his breath every time Taehyung had to say a line. Taehyung never messed up though and he never gave away how nervous Jimin knew he was. He was confident and sure on stage and in the character and Jimin was so proud. He couldn’t seem to break his nervous ticks though.

About half an hour in, he’s scratching at him arms again and a hand came over and clamped down on his own, dragging it from his arm and into Yoongi’s lap next to him. Yoongi wrapped his hand up in both of his and squeezed it gently. He smiled at Jimin and leaned closer to him, making Jimin’s breath catch in his throat and his cheeks flush. He thought back to that morning when he had woken Yoongi up and the feeling of being that close then. Yoongi’s breath ghosted across his skin as he spoke into his ear. “It’s okay, he’s doing fine. Just relax, okay. It’s all okay.”

Jimin swallowed and nodded in response. Nodded so quickly and harshly that it caused Yoongi’s nose to brush against his jaw as he pulled back. Jimin’s heart stuttered at the feeling. Yoongi smiled encouragingly, his own cheeks visibly pinker even through the dimmer lights, and he turned back to the stage. Jimin swallowed again and turned back, immersing himself in the play again. Yoongi didn’t let go of his hand for the rest of the play, occasionally squeezing gently and Jimin lent into him for even more comfort.

After the play there’s an informal gathering in the hall for the performers and the audience. Jimin practically ran all the way there and burst in excitedly, throwing his arms around Taehyung as soon as he saw him. “You were so amazing, Tae.”

“Thanks, Chim Chim.” Taehyung breathed into his hair and hugged him back tightly. Jimin could easily tell how relieved and proud he was now. He didn’t want to let go, but he knew there are other people who want to congratulate Tae, so he reluctantly did. Taehyung’s parents also hug him and Jimin’s parents offered their congratulations and praise his performance.

Jimin felt a hand press into his back lightly and comfortingly, and Yoongi moved past him to speak to Taehyung as well. “Well done, kid. Hyung’s proud of you.” Yoongi patted him on the shoulder, but Taehyung doesn’t let him get away with just that, and instead he threw himself around the elder like a koala. The parents laughed before heading over to the drinks table as they talk among themselves, and Jimin looked on at Taehyung and Yoongi fondly. The sight of the two of them getting on so well made him feel comfortable and settled.

Yoongi eventually managed to extricate himself from Taehyung limbs with a sigh. “Sorry, Taehyung-ah, but I gotta head off. Got some university stuff to finish for tomorrow.” Taehyung pouted and Jimin wanted to pout along with him.

“Thanks so much for coming hyung.” Taehyung said and hugged him again, though this time more meaningfully and reserved. Yoongi patted his back before he pulled away.

“It’s no problem. I enjoyed myself.” Yoongi admitted, a little reluctantly. He looked over his shoulder at Jimin, his bottom lip caught between his teeth. Jimin figured he’s looking for reassurance and comfort like he had given Jimin during the play, and he smiled at him widely.

“Yeah?” Taehyung asked, drawing Yoongi and Jimin’s attention back to him. He had one eyebrow raised and he looked way too proud of himself.

“Yeah, it was a good play.” Yoongi agreed and clapped him on the shoulder once before leaving. “See ya Saturday, yeah Jiminie?” Jimin nodded and Yoongi smiled at him before leaving the hall. Jimin gave Taehyung his full attention then, happy to shower him with attention and praise for such a good job.

-

“Hey, Jimin-ah? I think I want to cash in my second favour.” Jimin looked up from the sink where he’s washing up the dishes he and Yoongi had used over lunch. It was their usual arrangement now after Jimin had begged and begged. Yoongi cooked lunch, and Jimin cleaned up after.

“You think you do?” He asked with a smirk, and finished washing the plate in his hands and moved it to the draining rack.

Yoongi laughed. “I do. I know I do.”

“Okay, hyung. What do you need?” Jimin asked with excitement in his voice. Yoongi had been doing so much for him and Jimin had only done one favour for him. And he had to fight Yoongi to allow him to do it. Now he had a chance to pay him back with something else. And Yoongi was asking for it. That made Jimin very happy, knowing his hyung trusted him and was willing to make himself slightly vulnerable in front of him.

“I have a date tonight, and I was hoping you could help me pick out something to wear.” Yoongi said slowly, stuttering over some of his words.

It was to be expected that Yoongi would get dates, he was fun and good looking and single, of course people would be interested in and he’d want to see someone. But the knowledge still left Jimin reeling for some reason. His chest hurt at the thought of Yoongi going on dates with someone else, holding hands with someone else, touching and kissing someone else. Jimin felt jealous. Jealous. Was he really jealous because he was potentially going to lose some time with his friend because he had a date. How petty was he? Especially given that he had Jungkook. Jungkook who Jimin would hopefully have dates with himself soon anyway. Taehyung wasn’t jealous about that though, was he? Maybe it was because he was already in a relationship? Maybe once he was with Jungkook, he would understand more and wouldn’t get jealous of Yoongi dating.

“Oh.” He looked down to the sink and moved the last dishes to the draining rack and then pulled out the plug and grabbed a towel to dry his hands, giving himself time to get his emotions under control. “Of course, hyung. I’d be happy to.” He answered as brightly as he could, pushing back his jealousy. It shouldn’t matter how he felt. Yoongi was asking for help and Jimin was going to help him, no matter what it was.

They went up to his room and went through Yoongi wardrobe. Jimin managed to enjoy himself despite the situation, laughing at Yoongi for how much black and similar clothes he owned, enjoying the way the elder blushed and then fought back over the topic. It was easy and comfortable and Jimin easily forgot about the reason he was dressing him. They settled on a simple pair of black skinny jeans, a plain white shirt, and an oversized red and black bomber jacket. He looked good. Jimin couldn’t take his eyes off him, admiring the clothing choice, the way the trousers clung to his legs, and the way the low neck of the shirt showed off his collar bones. Anyone would be attracted to him seeing him dressed like that.

“Thanks, Jiminie.” Yoongi said warmly when they were done, and seeing the bright look in his eyes, his joy at having a good outfit for his date, reminded Jimin why he was doing this. And his jealousy came roaring back. He his lips and nodded, feeling awkward with his jealousy even though he had no right to feel it. “Do I look good enough to date?”

Jimin in a harsh breath at the question. It was an easy question, one that was obvious given the situation. Yoongi asked Jimin to help him look good for a date, of course he would ask Jimin that. But for some reason Jimin found the question hard, found his breath catching and his eyes burning with a mixture of sadness and shame. He couldn’t let his hyung know, though. That would be horrible. He would be so embarrassed for Yoongi to know he was so foolishly jealous over something like this when the elder had taken the chance to put his trust in Jimin.

“You look amazing hyung. Gorgeous. Anyone would be lucky to have you.” Jimin inwardly cringed at how heavy his voice sounded, and of course Yoongi noticed it and his eyes widened in surprise. “I have to go now though. Got to get some chores done for my mum.” It was a weak excuse, but Yoongi seemed to buy it. They said goodbye and Jimin practically fled from the Min’s house, eyes still burning and hands shaking.

-

There wasn’t any reason for Jimin to go to watch the school’s basketball practise now the play had finished other than to watch the practise. He couldn’t hide behind the excuse fo waiting for Taehyung. A month or two ago that might have been enough to make Jimin consider not going to avoid the situation of explaining why he was there. But now he felt confident in his knowledge of basketball and his enjoyment in watching people play it. And in his budding friendship with Jungkook. With how much they had been talking, they were friends, and so Jimin didn’t feel awkward at all staying back to watch the practise to be there for Jungkook. And this time Taehyung joined him. He huffed and sighed as he watched the players run around. He had no idea what was going on, much like Jimin hadn’t a while ago, and Jimin couldn’t help but be amused by his frustration.

By the end of the practise, Taehyung was trying to pinch Jimin for not even trying to help him understand what was going on, and Jimin was squealing with laughter as he avoided his fingers. They only stop when they noticed some of the players heading up the bleachers to them. Jimin was used to Jungkook coming up to see him after practises finished, but not a whole group of five like this. It was weird with that many people staring down at him, so he stood up as they reached them, and Taehyung jumped up beside him as well. It didn’t make much of a difference for Jimin giving his own height compared to the massive basketball players, but it made him feel a bit more confident and sure.

“Hey, Jimin right?” The one in the front asks and Jimin nodded. He noticed Jungkook at the back of the group, looking round his teammates to see Jimin. Their eyes met, and he mouthed a ‘sorry’ which had Jimin giggling. “We’re having a party tomorrow night and you have to come. You’re friend here too. Great play by the way man, I saw it the other day.”

Taehyung sparked at the praised and smiled widely, thanking the guy and putting his hands on his hips. But the shook his head and Jimin knew he was about to reject the offer for the party. Jimin had no idea why. Taehyung was always the one pushing Jimin to be more forward and take chances. And he was more into parties than Jimin was anyway. This was a great chance and Jimin wasn’t going to let Taehyung say no for him.

“We’ll be there.” He said quickly, cutting off Taehyung’s answer. He felt his best friend’s eyes on him, but he stared ahead at the players.

“Great.” Another one said happily and they all smiled, seeming forced and too polite. At the back, Jungkook sighed and shook his head, but there was amusement in his eyes that made Jimin feel comfortable in the situation.

“Can we bring people?” Taehyung asked, voice strained. Jimin threw him a glance, wondering what was going on but sure his friend was going to answer even if he asked. It was the same important thing that he held been holding back for a while now, Jimin was sure. Jimin was starting to get frustrated with being kept in the dark if it was this big.

The guys seemed a little taken aback at the question, but they rolled with it with a shrug. “Yeah, I guess. Who do you wanna bring?”

“My boyfriend.” Taehyung answered easily, a little smile on his face as he thought about Namjoon. Maybe the important thing he was holding back on had to do with Namjoon and their relationship. “And our hyung, Min Yoongi.” Jimin’s eyes widened in surprise and he had to fight to stop his mouth from dropping open. Why would Taehyung want to bring Yoongi?

The guys all startled at the name drop and there was a hustle as they crowded forward a bit. Even Jungkook, whose eyes had widened in awe and interest. “Min Yoongi? As in Min Yoongi who used to be the captain here?” Taehyung nodded. “Okay, yes, you can definitely bring them. We haven’t seen Yoongi hyung since he graduated.”

There was an air of excitement around the team now as they parted, all talking hurriedly about past games which Yoongi had been a key player and times when he was a great captain. Jungkook sent a quick goodbye wave at Jimin which he returned, before turning to Taehyung. Taehyung looked at him with a smug smile, which Jimin had no idea where it came from, but he knew asking wouldn’t do any good. So, he just shook his head and grabbed his stuff, trusting that Taehyung would tell him what was going on as soon as he could.

-

The party was just like the last basketball one they had attended was. But this time, Jimin was known by most of the players and they treated him accordingly. He was greeted with cheers whenever they saw him, one of them showed him where the ‘good booze’ was kept, and all it took was a significant look from one of the towering guys and Jimin would get a seat if he wanted or a space on the ‘dancefloor’ in the middle of the living room. Jimin didn’t want to admit, but he was kind of enjoying the attention. He liked being a little bit spoiled and this was checking that box. It was especially thrilling when Jungkook did it. Even more so when that came with a hand settling onto the small of Jimin’s back or a delicate touch to his arm or shoulder, and always with that gorgeous smile Jimin was still entranced by.

The other three he came with didn’t seem to be having such a good time though. Yoongi and Namjoon had never really been party people, and they were just standing at the side of the room awkwardly with their drinks. Taehyung was sticking with them even though he usually did enjoy parties, obviously wanting to be close to his boyfriend and feeling responsible since he had invited them both. Jimin grabbed a cup of Demon’s Breath, remembering the drink fondly now he had a budding relationship with Jungkook and that last party and the sadness he felt that night were a faraway memory in his mind, and considered them. Namjoon and Taehyung were being their usual cute selves. They weren’t overly touchy or affectionate in public, but they didn’t need to be. Their cuteness came through fine in the looks they sent each other and the way they also were in constant contact with each other. It was sweet to see and Jimin was always so happy for them when he saw them together like that.

Yoongi had turned up in the outfit they had picked out together for his date, and Jimin was blown away again by how amazing he looked in it even though he had put it together himself. He was leant up against the wall, bomber jacket hanging off one shoulder, and hair stylistically messy, and Jimin’s mouth was dry and his heart racing in his chest as he watched him. Jimin found he couldn’t tear his eyes away, and eventually Yoongi turned and their eyes met. There was a spark and Jimin’s eyes were drawn down to his throat as he swallowed heavily, his Adam’s apple bobbing. Jimin’s skin felt clammy and he his lips as they felt even dryer. It was Yoongi who broke eye contact, looking down with dusted cheeks.

Jimin had to remind his body how to move after the interaction. He grabbed himself a glass of water from the kitchen and headed back to where he was told the bedrooms were, so he could have a few minutes of peace and quiet to calm down. He stumbled into one of them and was surprised to find Jungkook sat on the end of the bed, scrolling through his phone. He seemed to perk up at seeing Jimin and he smiled and threw his phone onto the bed beside him.

“Hey, you alright?” He asked and moved over, patting the bed beside him. Jimin pushed to door to behind them, throwing the room into an almost darkness, and sat down next to Jungkook.

“I’m okay, I just needed a break from the party.” He sipped at his water, feeling Jungkook’s eyes on him. It was nice, feeling the attention and the appreciation, but there was something about it that wasn’t as thrilling as he had felt earlier under Yoongi’s gaze.

“Yeah, I get it. I felt the same.” Jungkook admitted quietly and Jimin’s attention refocussed on him fully, leaving thoughts of Yoongi behind.

“You okay?” Feeling emboldened by the progress he had already made and the alcohol, Jimin placed a hand on Jungkook’s thigh as he asked the question. Jungkook’s lips quirked up into a small smile.

“Yeah, I’m okay, just looking back over my life and questioning my decisions.” Jungkook said with a shrug and an awkward chuckle. Jimin made a noise of questioning and squeezed his thigh to encourage him to go on and explain more. “I had a conversation with Yoongi-hyung and he was so supportive of me as a captain is made me question myself and I got all insecure. He was so amazing when he was captain, he led the team with confidence and surety and they achieved so much under him. How am I mean to match up with him? Even if he says I’m doing a great job, how can I trust that?”

Jimin’s heart hurt for the younger. Everything he had seen from Jungkook had been confidence and strength. It made sense that even he had insecurities and felt lost at time, but seeing it was a whole other thing. Jimin had never felt closer to Jungkook and he put his water down, so he could have both arms free to wrap Jungkook into a hug. Jungkook stiffened in his arms at first, but then he relaxed into it and wrapped his arms around Jimin’s waist in return, one hand moving up and down his back. Jungkook murmured a thank you into Jimin’s neck and the warmth of his breath against his skin had him shivering. That and the electrifying touch from Jungkook’s hand seemed to affect them both, and when they pulled back they didn’t move far.

There were a few moments of just staring into each other’s eyes, close enough that they could feel each other’s breaths, and then both surged forward to close the distance and bring their lips together. The kiss was heated from the get go, all battling tongues and tugging teeth, and Jungkook tugged Jimin into his lap. Jimin went easily, straddling his lap and into his mouth at the new contact of their torso pressed up together. Jungkook’s hands gripped his waist tightly, and then one of dropped lower and grabbed his , squeezing. Jimin groaned and pulled away from Jungkook’s lip to bite at his neck, desperate to leave a mark there and claim Jungkook at his, even just for a night. Once he was sure he had done his job, he let Jungkook his face back up, so their lips could meet again.

The door behind them flew open and banged against the wall, and Jimin pulled back to look over his shoulder. The doorway was illuminated with light from the hall that spilled into the room, but it left Yoongi’s front shadowed so Jimin couldn’t see his face very well from where he stood in the doorway, hand still outstretched from pushing the door open. He chest was heaving though and Jimin managed to catch his hand curling into a fist before he pulled it down and hid it behind his back.

“Sorry, wrong room.” Yoongi said lowly, and then he was gone as soon as he came.

Jungkook laughed against Jimin’s chest, his body shaking with it which jostled Jimin and reminded him he was still in the other’s lap. “Well that was a mood killer, huh?”

Jimin chuckled a bit as well, but there was something heavy in his chest now that kept him from feeling amused at the situation. Jungkook laid back on the bed and pulled Jimin down with him with a sigh. Jimin curled up against his chest, but his thoughts weren’t there in there in the room. he kept seeing Yoongi there in the doorway to the room and imaging what expression had been on his face. Was is shock? Disgust? Pain? Whatever it was didn’t feel right and Jimin’s eyes burnt with tears again that he couldn’t explain. His stomach churned, and he felt all wrong. And the worse part was that he had no idea why.