final

office scandal

    “There’s a new project,” the project manager, Boa, announces the moment the meeting starts. Seulgi sighs. She just barely finished her part in another project the previous night, and has not consumed enough coffee to start worrying about another project and another client immediately. “The client is NuTech,” Boa continues. “And they’re launching a new line of tablets soon. They said that with this new line, they want to target a younger demographic and-”

    At this point, Seulgi has completely zoned out. Not because this is something she typically does, but at this point she’s just so exhausted it’s hard to concentrate on anything that’s being said in the meeting at all. She excuses herself briefly to grab some coffee from the break room. There was some coffee provided in the meeting room, but it’s too sweet for Seulgi’s taste, and she knows it isn’t strong enough to keep her awake and alert in the meeting.

 

    “Hey,” a soft voice calls out from behind Seulgi while she’s pouring herself a cup of the incredibly strong and extremely bitter coffee that always seems to be brewing in the break room. No one knows who actually makes the coffee. Legend says that it’s the ghost of a former employee who died from exhaustion after working non-stop on a project for five days straight. Seulgi originally didn’t believe in the legend, but in her current state, she feels as if she might be joining them soon. “Are you okay?” Seulgi shakes out of her daze when a hand is gently placed on her shoulder. She looks up to see Joohyun, the content writer who was also recruited for the same project as Seulgi was. “I know you just finished another project last night so if you want to rest for a little while I can talk to Boa-”

 

    Seulgi cuts Joohyun off with a shake of her head. “No, it’s fine.” Seulgi punctuates the statement with a small but reassuring smile that lessens the crinkle between Joohyun’s brow. “New projects are usually slow in the beginning with the research so I have a couple of easy days to rest before things get hectic again.”

 

    Joohyun frowns. “If you say so,” she trails off, crossing her arms.

 

    “Unni, it’s fine,” Seulgi laughs. “I’m fine.” Seulgi wraps her arms around Joohyun’s waist, letting her locked hands rest against the small of the older woman’s back and pulling her closer until their foreheads touch. Joohyun’s hand automatically goes up to cup Seulgi’s cheek.

 

    “I know,” Joohyun sighs before leaning up to chastely peck Seulgi’s lips. “But I can’t help but worry about you.” The sincere look in Joohyun’s eyes warms Seulgi up better than the coffee could ever and Seulgi leans in to close the gap between their lips once again. Behind them, a door quietly shuts.

 

.

 

    “Sooyoung! Sooyoung!” Sooyoung looks up from her laptop to see Seungwan, one of the senior web developers for her team, speed walking towards her desk. “You will not believe what I just saw!”

    Sooyoung looks at her laptop contemplatively before closing it. Python can wait. Seungwan, on the other hand, apparently cannot. “So?” Sooyoung inquires with a raised eyebrow. “What did you see that I won’t believe?”

 

    “Seulgi,” Seungwan says. Sooyoung furrows her eyebrows. She works on the same floor as them. They see Seulgi every work day, and even some off days as well. “And Joohyun,” Seungwan continues. Sooyoung remains unimpressed. “Kissing,” Seungwan whispers conspiratorially, leaning in close.

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widen bigger than even Seungwan’s—which were also currently record-breakingly large at the moment—and she lets out a loud gasp. Seungwan immediately shushes her and quickly looks around to see if anyone had heard her.

 

    “Are you sure?” Sooyoung asks, wide eyes staring imploringly at Seungwan. Seungwan nods emphatically. “But Seulgi’s married!” Seungwan nods again. “And so is Joohyun!” Seungwan nods once more. “Wait,” Sooyoung starts. “Are you sure you saw them kiss?” Seungwan hesitates before nodding once again. “Maybe they were just whispering in each other’s ear? Or like maybe Joohyun was picking at something on Seulgi’s face and had to lean in really close or something.”

 

    This makes Seungwan hesitate. Maybe she did see it wrong. “Sorry unni,” Sooyoung says. “It’s not that I don’t believe you, it’s just that it’s hard to think of two people I look up to as homewreckers, y’know.”

 

    “Yeah, I know how you feel,” Seungwan agrees. Seulgi had been the first person to approach her and talk to her back when Seungwan just got hired for the firm, and Joohyun served as the vice project manager, keeping everyone on track and checking up on them—both on their work and on how they feel—every once in a while even though it’s not in her job description. It’s hard to believe that two incredibly good people would commit something so terrible as adultery. “Maybe I did see it wrong,” she mumbles to herself.

 

    Sooyoung nods. “Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt for now. And if it does end up being true,” Sooyoung says, sharing a look of determined resolution with Seungwan, “then we’ll confront them about it.”

 

.

 

    The sky looks beautiful at the moment, Seulgi thinks as she heads out of the company building. The sun is just starting to set, painting the sky with hues of a deep orange that Seulgi can’t help but admire. Seulgi had always seen herself as someone who loves nature, but after getting to know Joohyun, she has developed a newfound appreciation for the sky and its beauty. Speaking of Joohyun— “She’d probably want to take a picture of this,” Seulgi murmurs to herself, already fishing out her phone to take one for the older woman. It takes a while to adjust the lighting and the focus just right, but Seulgi manages to capture a perfect picture of the setting sun.  She stares at the picture for a while, grinning proudly at herself, before texting the photo to Joohyun.

 

    “Seulgi!” Seulgi turns around to see Joohyun heading her way, hair glinting in the light of the setting sun. She looks beautiful. She always does. “What are you doing?” Joohyun asks the moment she reaches the taller woman, slipping her hand into Seulgi’s. Right at that moment, Joohyun’s phone dings, alerting her of a text message. Seulgi watches as Joohyun opens the message, a curious glint in her eyes that softens into something warmer once she sees what it is. “Cheeseball,” Joohyun murmurs affectionately but she saves the pictures anyways before leaning up to kiss Seulgi’s cheek.

 

    “Ready to go?” Seulgi asks instead.

 

    “Yeah,” Joohyun nods. They walk to the parking lot, their joined hands swinging.

 

    From behind, Seungwan watches them with a small frown on her face.

 

.

 

    Seungwan sighs as she sinks into the seat opposite of Sooyoung at the cafe they agreed to meet up at before work.

 

    “You okay there?” Sooyoung asks. Seungwan doesn’t say anything except slide her phone over, where she has the incriminating photo open. Sooyoung looks at it curiously. “Nice photo,” she comments.

 

    “It would be,” Seungwan concedes, “if it wasn’t Seulgi and Joohyun who were holding hands.”

 

    “...Oh.”

 

    “Yeah,” Seungwan sighs. “Oh.”

 

    “I mean,” Sooyoung starts. “It’s just holding hands. That doesn’t have to be an explicitly romantic thing. Yerim and I hold hands all the time,” she reasons, referring to the social media intern who she has gotten to become quite close with over the course of the summer. Seungwan opens , but quickly decides against it. That’s a whole other can of worms she does not want to open right now. Especially with the problem at hand. “Plus Joohyun has always been a touchy person. She holds hands with everyone all the time.”

 

    “Yeah,” Seungwan concedes, pulling her phone back to study the picture some more. Logically, she knows that holding hands isn’t exactly an indicator of adultery, but seeing this moment in person—she can’t help but think that there was something more to it than just friendly hand holding.

 

.

 

    Sooyoung walks into the breakroom to the sound of Seulgi’s laughter. It’s currently only Joohyun and Seulgi in the room, which shouldn’t be an odd sight because it’s not like they’re never not in the break room at the same time but with the recent talks she’s been having with Segunwan, Sooyoung can’t help but freeze up at the sight. “I’m not interrupting anything am I?” she asks hesitantly.

 

    Seulgi immediately shakes her head and shoots Sooyoung an inviting smile. “Not at all! I was just telling Joohyun this funny joke I read this morning,” she says, still chuckling to herself. Joohyun sends Sooyoung a look that tells her that the joke was not funny in the slightest. “Do you want to hear the joke?”

 

    And that’s her cue to leave. “Unfortunately I don’t have the time.” Sooyoung lets out a nervous laugh. “You know me; busy, busy, busy!” is all she says before she flees the break room. It’s only when she’s halfway back to her desk that Sooyoung realizes that she forgot her cup of tea that she originally came into the break room for. She sighs to herself. Looks like she will have to suffer through Seulgi’s terrible jokes.

 

.

 

    “Jeez, Sooyoung sure left pretty quickly,” Seulgi remarks. “Wonder if she forgot to do something for her project.”

 

    “She fled because she didn’t want to hear your terrible joke,” Joohyun deadpans.

 

    Seulgi pouts. “Does everyone think my jokes are terrible?”

 

    “Not everyone,” Joohyun chuckles, walking closer to Seulgi. “I think they’re pretty cute.”

 

    “But not funny,” Seulgi points out. Her eyes show that she’s more amused by it than upset.

 

    “Eh,” is Joohyun’s only reply, coupled with a cute crinkle of her nose and a teasing smile.

 

    Seulgi laughs. “At least you’re honest about it.”

 

.

 

    Sooyoung slowly backs away from the open doorway to the breakroom, not wanting to get caught. She needs to find Seungwan. Quickly.

 

.

 

    “So why did you text me to meet you out here?” Seungwan asks once she arrives at the empty meeting room that Sooyoung told her to meet her at.

 

    “I think you’re onto something when you were talking about Joohyun and Seulgi,” Sooyoung confesses, getting straight to the point.

 

    “Why? What did you see?”

 

    “Nothing much,” Sooyoung admits. “But I’m pretty sure they were flirting in the break room.”

 

    “Really?” Seungwan asks, eyebrows raising up into her bangs. Joohyun and Seulgi were surely getting bolder and bolder. Or maybe they were just noticing it more and more now that they know what’s truly going on.

 

    “Yeah,” Sooyoung confirms. “Like Joohyun was all looking at Seulgi with these googly eyes and she usually doesn’t even bother looking at anyone who asks her out. And Seulgi didn’t even say anything when Joohyun totally invaded her personal space. Like, Joohyun was all up in Seulgi’s face and she didn’t even bat an eyelash! It’s weird.” Sooyoung sighs. “I guess it was easier to write off everything you said back when I didn’t witness it for myself, but seeing them together in person—there was totally something there.”

 

    Seungwan nods. “Yeah, it’s different witnessing them in person.” A somber silence settle over the two workers.

 

    “What should we do?” Sooyoung asks quietly.

 

    “First,” Seungwan starts. “I think we should hold off on confronting them for now. I know we both think we’re sure of this for now, but it could still be a misunderstanding. Let’s wait to see if we get any concrete evidence.”

 

    “But what happens if they really are cheating, but we never catch them in the act?” Sooyoung asks.

 

    Seungwan gnaws at her bottom lip. “Then we can slowly hint at it. You know, just lightly imply that we know what’s going on.”

 

    “I guess,” Sooyoung sighs. “I wish we hadn’t found out,” she quietly confesses and Seungwan can’t help but silently agree with her.

 

    “Don’t worry,” Seungwan says, putting a reassuring hand on Sooyoung’s shoulder. “Everything will work out in the end.” Sooyoung shoots Seungwan a tired smile that shows she doesn’t really believe her.

 

.

 

        Seulgi cautiously heads into Joohyun’s office, softly knocking on the door to notify of her entrance. She lets out a quiet, fond laugh once she sees that Joohyun had fallen asleep at her desk. The older woman has had a hectic schedule the past week—having been tasked to head two projects when the other senior copywriter in their company had to go on abrupt paternity leave due to pregnancy complications with his wife.

 

    Seulgi walks closer, taking quiet steps before stopping to kneel right in front of Joohyun’s desk. Seulgi takes a moment to admire Joohyun’s face, grazing gentle fingers over full, pink lips and the shell of Joohyun’s ear, which was cutely peeking out from underneath her mane of hair. Joohyun lets out a whine at the touch—and Seulgi freezes, thinking that she woke the other woman up—before nuzzling further into her arms, which were pillowing her head. Seulgi breathes out a sigh of relief before carefully removing Joohyun’s round glasses, which she had accidentally fallen asleep with on. Cute, Seulgi thinks to herself as she  gently rubs away the indentations the glasses had left on the bridge of Joohyun’s nose. She makes sure to snap a couple of quick photos to change Joohyun’s contact picture to later on.

 

    Joohyun eventually wakes up at the incessant clicking noise that Seulgi’s phones makes and eyes blinking blearily before she looks up at Seulgi. “What are you doing?” she asks, sleepiness blanketing her voice and making it even huskier.

 

    “Taking pictures,” Seulgi replies while shamelessly continuing to take pictures of Joohyun.

 

    “Stop,” Joohyun whines. “I probably look like a mess right now.”

 

    “You look beautiful,” Seulgi says.

 

    “You always say that.”

 

    “That’s because it’s always true,” Seulgi replies simply and cheekily grins when Joohyun gets flustered and starts to sputter incoherent noises.

 

    “Flatterer,” Joohyun mumbles, burrowing her head back into her arms to hide her flushed cheeks.

 

    Seulgi kneels in front of Joohyun and lightly knocks her knuckles against the top of Joohyun’s head. Joohyun lifts up her heads to reveal big, round eyes and Seulgi can’t stop the warmth that’s bubbling in her chest. “Only for you,” Seulgi says softly, fondness radiating in her voice. Joohyun lifts up her head even more in order to press her lips against Seulgi’s in a chaste kiss that evolves into something more passionate.

 

    “Hey, Joohyun-unni, do you have the do- Oh.”

 

    Seulgi and Joohyun immediately pull away from each other to find Seungwan standing in the doorway, frozen and wide-eyed. “Seungwan-ah!” Joohyun exclaims, straightening out her clothing and smoothing down her hair. “Did you need something?”

 

    Seungwan’s only response was to close the door behind her, and the serious look on her face is slightly worrying Seulgi and Joohyun at the moment. “I’ve been trying to not jump to conclusions about this for a while now, but now that I’ve seen irrefutable evidence for myself, I can’t keep quiet any longer,” the shorter woman starts off.

 

    “Seungwan-unni! Wait-” Sooyoung — with Yerim following right after her — rushes into the room before being stopped by Seungwan, who holds up a hand to indicate for her to finish speaking first before Sooyoung says anything. “This is not going to end well,” Sooyoung whispers to Yerim.

 

Yerim shrugs. “Just enjoy the show.”

 

    “I know that you guys are adults who are capable of making your own decisions,” Seungwan starts, “and your own mistakes,” she emphasizes, glaring pointedly at the two of them. Joohyun shrinks into her seat and Seulgi rubs the back of her neck sheepishly. “And I apologize for intruding in on your private lives but you are also people who I respect very much and consider my friends and I can’t let this- this- this mistake continue on any longer!” Seungwan rants, panting and face red.

 

    “Um, Seungwan,” Joohyun reaches out. “Don’t you think you’re taking this a bit too seriously? I mean, I know it’s a bit unprofessional but there technically aren’t any policies against relationships in the offi-”

 

    “I’m not talking about the professional implications of this!” Seungwan exclaims. “I”m talking about the moral ones!”

 

    “Um, unni,” Sooyoung starts again before she’s interrupted again. She sighs and Yerim pats her on the back in an effort to comfort her.

 

    “Wait, what do you mean moral implications?” Seulgi asks, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

 

    “YOU’RE MARRIED!” Seungwan shouts, pointing a finger at Seulgi. Seulgi nods slowly, still confused about where this is going. “AND YOU’RE MARRIED!” Seungwan continues, pointing a finger at Joohyun. Joohyun nods as well. They both continue to stare blankly at Seungwan. Seungwan flails her arms around in the air in frustration. “THIS IS ADULTERY!”

 

    Seungwan’s exclamation rings out into the office and settles into the silence of the room before both Joohyun and Yerim — who Seungwan had completely forgotten was standing there — burst out into twin cackles of laughter.

 

    “Seung- Seungwan-ah,” Seulgi manages to get out in between her own laughter. She walks up to Seungwan and places her hands on the shorter woman’s shoulders. “Joohyun and I are both married,” Seulgi concedes before continuing on to say, “To each other.”

 

    Seungwan stares blankly at Seulgi as she processes the information before letting out a weak “..oh”.

 

    “Oh my god,” Joohyun breathes out after finally being able to reign in her laughter. “That is the most ridiculous false rumor I have ever been involved in,” is all she manages to get out before dissolving into another bout of cackling.

 

    Seungwan’s face turns incredibly red and she wishes the floor would swallow her up already. “Oh my god,” she whispers to herself, burying her face into her hands. “This is so embarrassing.”

 

    “There, there, Seungwan. It’s not like we ever told anyone we were married to each other. It’s an honest mistake to make,” Seulgi comforts, patting Seungwan on the shoulder. “If anything, we should thank you for being so concerned about our moral welfare.” Seulgi’s words would have more effect if they weren’t being drowned out by Joohyun’s and Yerim’s obnoxious laughter.

 

    “Wait,” Seungwan realizes. “Did you know about this?” Seungwan asks, glaring accusingly at Sooyoung.

 

    Sooyoung holds her hands up in defense. “I didn’t know about it until just now when Yerim told me,” she explains. “That’s why I ran here to warn you but guess I was too late,” Sooyoung says with an amused grin at Seungwan still reddening face.

 

    “But how does Yerim know that Seulgi and Joohyun-unni are married?” Seungwan asks out loud. “She only started working here this summer.”

 

    Yerim was too busy literally rolling on the floor laughing about the embarrassing predicament that Seungwan had gotten herself in to answer, so Seulgi took the liberty to do so for her. “Yerim is Joohyun-unni’s younger sister,” Seulgi explains. “She was the flower girl at our wedding.”

 

    Seungwan’s only response was to once again bury her face in her hands. “This is the worst day of my life.” Yerim still hasn’t stopped cackling.

 

A/N: So that's all folks! It was based off of a tumblr post that I saw a while back and has been sitting in the back of my mind for a while now before I actually got the time to write it. Please make sure to comment or upvote if you liked this fic!