Notice Me, Byulyi-nim!

Notice Me, Byulyi-nim!

_______________________________________________________

Sunday morning, the best day ever. Waking up to the beeping sound of an alarm clock before been replaced by the chirping sound from birds hanging on the tree branch right beside her bedroom’s window. Jung Wheein, sits up from her nap position, stretching her arms up and yawns like an elephant in the middle of the morning. Bringing a complete noise to that very peaceful morning.

 

Bam!

 

Wheein gasps. “Oh my God!” She looks at the person who just happened to barge into her room like a mad woman. “What the hell, Yongsun?”

 

The mad woman called as Yongsun, points the spatula in her hand towards Wheein’s direction while her other hand on her hip. “You wanna die? Don’t you know that you surprised me with your dragon voice?”

 

Wheein her chest in a circular motion, trying to push away the heart attack that she has to deal with since a while ago. “Poor my heart.”, she said in a baby voice which has earns a rolling eyes from Yongsun. Feeling a bit calm, Wheein strengthen her dishevelled hair before climbs off from her bed. Doing her regular stretching like how old women always do every morning.

 

Yongsun smiles funnily watching her action. “Aw, look at you. You look so cute even in the morning.”, she says in a soft voice full of adoration.

 

Listened to the sudden compliment from her best friend brings her signature dimpled smile to Wheein’s lips. She hops off to Yongsun and pulls her into a crushing-bone hug. “Thank you. You look cute too, grandma.”, Wheein says while pressing her left chubby cheek to Yongsun’s right one.

 

“Yes, but if you call me that again, I will give you this spatula for your breakfast.”, Yongsun muffles as they still rubbing their cheeks against each other.

 

Wheein lets go from the hug before cracking into a fit of laughter. “You better not! Remember we are the other half to each other. You’re the Decal to my Comanie.”, Wheein says gleefully. Before she heads to the bathroom, she turns her head to Yongsun again and shoots a playful wink. “And let me remind you, today we have a movie date with Hyejin and your...” Wheein trails off for a moment to look at Yongsun’s reaction. She chuckles when the other girl looks at her uninterestingly with that fake poker face she made. “...future girlfriend.”

 

“Yah!”

 

Clang!

 

The sound of spatula clanging onto the tile floor with Wheein’s childish giggle echo around the small apartment house. Even though Wheein has already entered the bathroom, but she is very sure that her best friend is blushing hard like a tomato right now.

 

Yongsun is like an open book. Even she keeps on denying something for like thousand times, Wheein can still reads her easily. Become best friends since five, not even a single thing about Yongsun that Wheein doesn’t knows. Same goes to the latter. Like how they call themselves as other half to each other.

 

And Wheein just knows that Yongsun’s heart is warm and so in love, even though she keeps on giving cold shoulders. Wheein shakes her head and smiles to herself.

 

‘Get out of the closet already, Yongsun-ie.’

 

===

 

Strolling along in front variety of shops in the shopping mall while enjoying the ice-cream in each of their hand. Wheein can’t help to let her eyes wandering around, checking out anything that can pique her interest. And sometimes she will glances at any hot guys that walk past them and she will silently giggling all happy-go-lucky inside.

 

Doing window shopping not always have to focus on an item only, right?

 

Yongsun who is walking beside her can only shakes her head looking at her best friend’s behaviour. It’s kind of a bit awkward to not hear Wheein’s loud babble like always so Yongsun quickly ends the silent between them. “What’s the movie that we will watch, movie maniac?”

 

Wheein let out a ‘tsk’ from before shoots a death glare to Yongsun. “I was planning to watch The Conjuring 2 at first...” Wheein trails off for a moment to on her vanilla ice-cream. She steals a short glance to the taller girl beside her before shrugs off. “...but Byul insisted on watching Batman v Superman instead.”

 

Yongsun halts her step. “No.”

 

‘Oh my God. Like seriously, does that gamer kiddo kidding me? I’m not a fan of any of those!’

 

Wheein who’s already stands a bit far from Yongsun looks at her with quirking eyebrows. “Yo, Kim Yongsun. I’m sure you want to say that you’re not a fan of that but end up saying you love it anyway since it was Byul’s choice!”

 

Yongsun’s mouth agape that it shaped like a saucepan. She notices a lot of eyes throw an interesting glance toward their direction after Wheein’s sudden outburst in the centre of the shopping mall. Without waiting any single second, Yongsun rushes over to Wheein and grabs the poor shorter girl’s head into a headlock.

 

“I swear if you say something like that again, you will never see sunlight tomorrow-“

 

“Oh, wow.”

 

A y husky voice quickly cut off Yongsun’s words and stops her action right at that time. Yongsun froze like a statue. Anyone that sees her face right now will surely feel poor for her. Her face looks so pale and whiter than her own bedroom’s wallpaper.

 

On the other side, Wheein is still struggling to let go from Yongsun’s arms. Seeing Yongsun’s grip becomes weaker, Wheein takes the chance to flee herself and jumps over to the owner of the husky voice. They both pull each other into a tight bear hug.

 

“Hyejin-ie!”

 

“Wheein-ie!”

 

Shouting each other’s name in the middle of the almost-crowded shopping mall, they look exactly like two long lost friends that just find one another. Thus, they always meet and hang out together almost every day whether in the campus or even at outside. Wheein will says that Yongsun is her other half, but as of Hyejin, she is her wife in disguise as her best friend. If that even makes sense. But believe it, they are just best friends. Well okay, more like extremely close best friends. No, ergh! Whatever.

 

Hyejin combs Wheein’s cute bangs and gives a sweet smile to the shorter girl who is still hugging her waist like a koala. “Aw, tell me now. Why that troll human-being bullied you just a while ago?”

 

“H-Hey!”, Yongsun retorted in a shy manner. Her face already flushing red just like the colour of her shirt. Nothing can pique her interest right now except the floor. She feels exceptionally embarrass right now. Especially when there is someone standing beside Hyejin that Yongsun really knows well who it is. The only person that can makes her fidgeting nervously like this, making her blush like a young teenager and getting her heart beating faster than normally it does.

 

‘Screw it! Screw it! Control yourself, Yongsun!’

 

Wheein shakes her head and smiles cutely at Hyejin. “No, it was nothing. I just miss you so much right now!”

 

“Aw, you’re such a cutie. I miss you too.” Hyejin pinches the shorter girl’s cheeks making her giggles happily like a five years old kid who just receives an ice-cream.

 

Byulyi who is still standing like a human pole beside them keeps a poker face. Seeing both of the clingy girls still hugging each other like they won’t stop any sooner, Byulyi glances at the unknowingly flattering girl in front of her. A frown could be seen visible on her face but she tries her best to maintain a stoic expression.

 

===

 

As soon after the movie’s credit shown on the huge screen, Wheein quickly drags Hyejin to the ladies beside the cinema’s exit. It’s not her fault though to leave Yongsun and Byulyi alone. She really needs a toilet break after had to hold it on for about 15 minutes. Besides, leaving both of the girls by themselves not really that bad idea after all.

 

Wheein totally not regretting her decision for dragging Hyejin to follow her instead of asking either Yongsun or Byulyi.

 

So that’s how Yongsun and Byulyi stands next to each other outside the ladies, with Byulyi keeping a safe distance between them and playing a random game in her smartphone. Meanwhile, Yongsun just stands like a statue, contemplating what to do to kill the awkwardness between the two of them.

 

Tries to initiate a conversation? The taller girl will labels her as a weirdo. As much Yongsun remembers, they barely talk with each other even though they will literally meet together considered that Wheein will asks Yongsun to join and Hyejin will drags Byulyi along. Sometimes Yongsun can easily counts how many words they say toward each other with only one hand. And there are also times that they keep their mouth shut and not greet each other at all. Just like how they are right now.

 

Yongsun steals a glance at the taller girl beside her, before keeps a longing stare observing her side profile, especially her pointy nose. Even though Byulyi is a year younger than her, but the latter managed to skip two semesters thanks to her brilliant high IQ brain, titling herself as Yongsun’s senior in their college. One more interesting fact about Byulyi that Yongsun knows, she is a big fan of games which has leads to how Byulyi taking the gaming management major. And that just gave another reason for Yongsun to give a cold shoulder towards Byulyi.

 

‘Just look at her! Look at how focus she is like there’s no other person around her. Even when there this hot pink-haired girl with mochi cheeks staring at her which is me-‘

 

‘-no no no! Wait, that sounds so weird.’

 

Yongsun feels like to slap herself now for having weird wishful thinking of probably Byulyi can finally pay attention to her, not to the latter’s damn beloved games. Yongsun let out a heavy sigh before looking down back, staring at the kind-of-dirty floor. Sometimes she wonders, does Byulyi ignoring her all these while because of her cold attitude? Yongsun still can remember clearly how snobby she was on the very first time they introduced themselves toward one another.

 

“Hello, my name is Moon Byulyi. What’s yours, princess pink mochi? Must be a cute one.”

 

And like how dummy Yongsun is, she replied back with a short answer, added with an unexpected glare.

 

“Hm. Yongsun.”

 

“Argh!”

 

Yongsun let out a frustrated groan and scratches her pink shoulder-length hair in an unfeminine manner. Should she really punches herself so that she can knocks some senses into her head to stop hoping for something that she is unsure of? Stop wishing that Byulyi will call her with those cute nicknames and attacks her with bunch of cheesy lines again? Stop thinking on how to pull Byulyi’s attention when all she can do is stoning herself like a coward?

 

And all these messy thoughts really make her feels almost insane right now!

 

“She’s so cute..”

 

‘Cute?’

 

She doesn’t hears it wrongly that Byulyi just said someone looks cute. Her tiny wishful thinking hopes that the taller girl refers that compliment to her. So Yongsun automatically turns her head towards Byulyi back but just to be dumbfounded. She sees Byulyi still focusing her eyes on the screen of her smartphone.

 

“Aw, Mina-chan looks so cute and adorable in this game. She’s the woman of my dream!”

 

‘I’m so... done.’

 

Without Byulyi realizes, she has unknowingly dropping a certain pink-haired girl’s mood on that evening.

 

===

 

“How about we go to the arcade?”

 

“Hell yes!”, Byulyi screams out her lungs with full anticipation, agreeing with Hyejin’s suggestion. The four of them just walked out from a fast food restaurant, enjoyed their evening meals to fill their stomach before doing their next activity.

 

Wheein chuckles looking at how hype up Byulyi is. “Byul seriously has a thing for games!”

 

“Tsk, you never know how piss I am whenever she wakes me up in the middle of the morning just to join her playing that PS4 in her room.”, Hyejin retorted before glaring playfully at the said taller girl who is grinning beside her.

 

They laugh together hearing to Hyejin’s joke. Wheein senses something weird when Yongsun walks in a close distance behind them, looking quite out of place. So she taps the pink-haired girl’s shoulder. Yongsun startles and looks at her best friend with a total blank face.

 

“Hey, are you alright?”, Wheein asks out of concern. She slows her pace to walk with Yongsun and letting Byulyi and Hyejin walk in front of them.

 

Yongsun offers a warm smile, just not to worries Wheein more. “I’m fine, cutie. Worry not.”

 

“Sure?”

 

Yongsun giggles and nods. “Hundred percent sure, honey!”

 

Wheein wriggles her eyebrows in a teasing manner which has cracks Yongsun into a fit of laughter. Finally, Wheein can hears Yongsun’s signature screeching-like laugh for the first time on that day. Hyejin looks at them with curiosity but Wheein just answers her back by shrugging her shoulders and smiles.

 

Meanwhile, there is a certain someone that still stays quiet and secretly listening to Yongsun’s funny laugh. Maybe it sounds a bit weird and all, but for her, that laugh is so adorable and somehow can raises up her mood and makes her heart pumping incredulously. A little hint of a smile secretly crept to her lips.

 

===

 

‘Funky Town’ is clearly written on the signboard at the arcade’s main entrance. Looks like the games centre has been filled with children and high schoolers, clinging at each of the arcade machines. Since it is weekend, the place gets extremely pack and added that there are variety of arcade games to play.

 

Hyejin’s mouth opens wide that shaped like a big ‘O’. “Oh my goodness, so many kiddos here! Where can we fit in?”, Hyejin said with a voice a bit frustrated. Brushing her long black hair past her shoulders before crossing her arms on her chest, she looks exactly like a mom that can’t fulfil her children’s desire and feels upset about it.

 

They stand still in front of the entrance for a few minutes, trying to think of a new plan or an idea to have a chance playing inside the arcade. On the other hand, seems like Byulyi is looking for something as she wanders her eyes around before she spots a particular shop nearby.

 

“Girls, wait a minute! I need to get something.”

 

Without waiting for the others’ reply, Byulyi already jogs inside a cartoon souvenir shop. The three of them look at each other confusedly, wondering what kind of thing that Byulyi wants to buy from that shop.

 

“Don’t tell me she is looking for a new game to play later?”, Wheein asks in disbelief.

 

Hyejin rolls her eyes. “There’s a pile of CD games that she don’t try yet. But you got a point though. Duh, she’s Moon Byulyi anyway.”

 

Wheein claps her hands and opens , showing an amaze expression in a total sarcastic way. “Oh wow, I think she should starts thinking on putting ‘gamer’ as her middle name.”

 

“Just let her be.”, Yongsun quickly butts in, stopping the conversation.

 

Unexpectedly, her reaction successfully grab both Wheein and Hyejin’s attentions when they start to stare at her amusingly. Hyejin with a smirk on her face while Wheein wriggles her forefinger and smiles teasingly. Yongsun gulps when she realizes what she has just said. Cold sweats unconsciously trickling down from her forehead.

 

“Ooh, looks like someone starts being sweet to her secret crush now.”, Hyejin said gleefully, receives a quick nod from Wheein beside her. Somehow, it’s a question on how Wheein and Hyejin can be best friends and agree with each other in almost everything. But with the power of love, literally anything can happen. If that even makes sense. Yeah.

 

“No no no!” Yongsun quickly waggles her hands left and right to deny it. But seems like her action have bring more excitement to the other two girls. Yongsun wants to object further but immediately stops when she notices Byulyi already on her way to their direction back. She heaves a heavy sigh and looks away. “Nevermind..”

 

As Byulyi stands back in front of them, she takes a deep breath and smiles widely. “Okay girls, I’ve got an idea.”

 

In a blink of an eye, Wheein and Hyejin quickly forget about their tease and pay full attention towards Byulyi, which has bring a sigh of relief from Yongsun.

 

‘I told you, these two girls can be affected real fast.’

 

Hyejin stares at Byulyi with one eyebrow raises, when she sees the taller girl is hiding something behind her back. “So, what is the plan, you smart pants?”

 

Looking at the curious three girls waiting for her answer got Byulyi grinning like she just won a million dollar. Without waiting anymore times, she takes out the Batman mask that she just bought and quickly wears it. Now, only can be seen while the rest of her face has been covered by the mask. Byulyi pumps her right fist to the air and cries out of joy.

 

“Ta-da! Batgirl to your service, ladies!”

 

Awkward silent.

 

“Pfft- hahaha!”

 

Wheein and Hyejin burst into a fit of laughter that quickly attract attention from a lot of passer-by. While Yongsun covers with her palm, holding the giggle that almost could be heard by the others.

 

“Yah, stop laughing!”

 

Byulyi scratches her nape awkwardly, trying to ease the embarrassment that she feels right now when several pair of eyes start to look at their direction. Or to be exact, mostly at her. But she is secretly happy inside when she successfully made her friends laugh with her oh-not-so-funny joke, especially a certain someone. Byulyi smiles.

 

It turns out that Byulyi plans to attract some of the kids inside the arcade to play together with her so that the other three girls can choose any arcade machines that are empty. Wheein and Hyejin are totally in awe with Byulyi’s great idea and can’t help to give the taller girl a peck on her cheek. So that’s how Byulyi’s cheeks flushing in light red as she secretly smiling like a fool.

 

‘Such a girl crush.’

 

Yongsun thought to herself while looking from afar at Byulyi’s direction who’s already playing catch and run with some kids, still with her Batman mask. Even though she tries hard to be annoyed with Byulyi, but only God know how happy and awe she’s been feeling right now.

 

Another one thing that she learns about Moon Byulyi other than loves games, she also loves kids. Totally.

 

===

 

“If anyone get to beat my high score, I will give a secret present for you!”

 

And that was how Wheein and Hyejin challenge one another to see which one of them that can successfully beat Byulyi’s high score in a shooting game. Meanwhile, Yongsun already rejected it since the very beginning and decided to just playing with her phone while waiting for them. Even though deep inside, she secretly wants to know what kind of present would Byulyi gives to her if she does wins over her. But here she is, pretending to be uninterested when her heart screaming ‘dummy’ to herself a lot of times.

 

For almost 30 minutes, neither one of them both succeed. Byulyi crosses her arms on her chest and smirks playfully at them, proud with the victory that almost comes to her side. A lot of coins have been donated into the arcade machine and they give up to play anymore. Both of the girls walk to the bench nearby with their shoulders slump down. Tiredness could be seen clearly on their face.

 

Yongsun who is standing beside the two girls stares at them with a blank face. “So, can we go back home now?”, she asks pleadingly, trying to show that she is exhausted after had to wait for them so long, even though she secretly enjoyed watching both of them compete against each other. It was a sight that is so unusual for her when both of them always being so sweet toward one another.

 

Wheein looks at Yongsun a bit surprised. “It’s still early! Why in a rush, Yongsun-ie? Our house never run away, you know?”

 

Hyejin chuckles hearing to Wheein’s lame joke. Yongsun pouts. “I-I’m just... tired. It’s already 7:45 p.m. anyway!”

 

“How about this?” Hyejin butts in to their conversation. Yongsun and Wheein look at her curiously, waiting for her next words. “We straight go home after you give a shot to play that game. What do you think?”

 

“O.M.G., yes brilliant idea, Ahn Hyejin!”, Wheein chimes happily before pulls her best friend into a side-hug.

 

Yongsun’s eyes widen in shock. “Hell no! That’s not a brilliant idea, Jung Wheein.”

 

“Hey girls, give up already?”

 

Byulyi comes and joins in their conversation, or more like an argument between Yongsun with Wheein and Hyejin. One versus two. Everybody knows who will win anyway in the end.

 

Hyejin steals a short glance at Yongsun before looks back at Byulyi with an amuse face. “Yes we are. But our Yongsun over here wants to take the challenge!”

 

Wheein added more. “Yup, at the very last minute.”

 

“Really?”, Byulyi asks a bit excited, staring at Yongsun with an unknowingly twinkling eyes.

 

‘Uh-oh.’

 

Yongsun secretly gulps. She shoots a death glare to both Wheein and Hyejin but both of them just keep a naughty smile on their face, not feeling scare about her secret warning at all. Willing or not, Yongsun walks to the arcade machine of that shooting game with a heavy heart. Well, who in the right mind can resists that little sparkle in Byulyi’s eyes especially her own self.

 

“Good luck, Yongsun-ie!”

 

“You can do it!”

 

Yongsun rolls her eyes annoyingly. Taking a last deep breath, gets herself ready with the controllers, and then finally starts playing the game. It is this one zombie shooting game where the player needs to only, yeah, shoots as many zombies and not getting killed. Byulyi’s high score is over three thousands and Yongsun needs to beat her with at least four thousands. As the game goes on, Yongsun starts to feel the fun thrilling inside of her that she starts giving full focus on the game. The other three can’t help to watch Yongsun from afar in total awestruck.

 

“We got a new high score!”

 

The robotic voice chimed victoriously from the arcade machine. Silent enveloped between the four of them before Yongsun’s dolphin-like scream echoes around the arcade. Wheein and Hyejin already got their mouth hung open, dumbfounded with Yongsun’s first try but she did it. How could they not surprise? Kim Yongsun just beat Moon Byulyi, the pro gamer among them, even though with only more than 13 scores.

 

Meanwhile, Byulyi is absolutely amazes on how Yongsun can actually did beat her high score in a really short amount of time compared to Wheein and Hyejin. Seeing the wide smile that plastered on that beautiful face, Byulyi doesn’t want to ask for something better than that.

 

And as a woman with words, she will fulfils her promise.

 

‘A secret present for Kim Yongsun.’

 

===

 

The next morning, Yongsun walks to her classroom with a smile. She even greeted any students that walk past her cheerfully. Some will greet her back neutrally while the others will reply her back awkwardly. It was indeed weird to see the usually-shy-and-quiet Kim Yongsun being so friendly on that particular day.

 

Yongsun takes out her phone when she hears the non-stop ‘katalk’ sound vibrating inside the pocket of her jeans. Her eyes open wide when she sees over 50 messages from Wheein. She clicks on the ‘KakaoTalk’ app before sighs frustratingly.

 

Wheein is spamming inside their private message, again.

 

jung-wheeirdo

Good luck! \^o^/

[8:56 a.m.]

 

That was the only thing that Wheein spammed to her since a while ago.

 

‘This woman..’

 

Yongsun decides to ignore her best friend since she knows exactly how annoying can Wheein be sometimes. Entering her classroom, Yongsun has been greeted by one of her classmates, Chandong that gives her a piece of paper. With full curiosity, Yongsun sits on her usual spot before unfolding the paper. There is a cute Batman’s face sticker at the bottom of the paper that brings a smile to Yongsun’s lips. Now, her eyes moving up to read the beautiful handwriting, and her heart skips a million beats.

 

“Meet me at the rooftop after class. – Byul”

 

===

 

Exactly after 15 minutes classes ended, Yongsun finally arrives at the rooftop where Byulyi’s waiting for her. Hoping she doesn’t makes Byulyi waits for too long. As she opens the door to the rooftop, Yongsun already sees Byulyi standing at the corner, with her back facing Yongsun. The strong wind on that evening make Byulyi’s long blonde hair swaying gracefully. With slow and steady steps, Yongsun walks closer to Byulyi and scoffs out lout, startling the taller girl.

 

“Eh?”

 

Yongsun’s eyes widen in shock as soon after Byulyi turns her back and facing Yongsun. The taller girl is wearing this black t-shirt with Batman logo printed on it and a pair of black ripped jeans. But the cutest thing is Byulyi wears the Batman mask and gives Yongsun her signature lopsided grin, showing her nose muscles. Yongsun can’t help herself to giggle before laughing hysterically.

 

Byulyi cutely pouts. Her face tinted in crimson pink which is a very cute sight that is worth to stare at. “Y-Yah, don’t laugh.”

 

Yongsun covers and shakes her head. “No- you’re just so cute, you know?”, she muffles in her giggle.

 

“Baby, please.”

 

Magically, Yongsun stops laughing immediately. She stares at Byulyi with a puzzle look. But after a while, it is her turn to blush like a tomato when she finally realizes about something. “W-What are you-”

 

“I should have call you that from the very first place, so you’re not that cold toward me.”, Byulyi cut off.

 

Seeing Yongsun just stays quiet, Byulyi takes the chance to walk closer to the shorter girl and feels glad that Yongsun not backing away. Now their distance separated by only a few inches. Ignoring their crazy heartbeats, both of them stay rooted and stare at each other. Byulyi carefully takes off the Batman mask so she can stares right into Yongsun’s chocolate orbs clearly.

 

Byulyi smiles sweetly. “I like you, Kim Yongsun. No, I’m so freaking crazy in love with you. Do you feel the same?”

 

‘Finally.’

 

Only God know happy Yongsun is feeling right now. She smiles back at Byulyi shyly before nodding her head. “Me too, Byulyi-nim.”

 

Byulyi frowns hearing the name Yongsun called her. But then, she just shrugs it off. Byulyi grips on the shorter girl’s shoulders and puts her forehead on Yongsun’s. “Let’s have our first kiss, my cute pink mochi.”

 

Yongsun cups Byulyi’s cheeks before nods happily. “Sure, my greasy Batgirl.”, she whispers before closes the gap between both of them.

 

On the other hand, Wheein and Hyejin have been secretly watching them behind the little open rooftop’s door. Wheein clutches on Hyejin’s blouse tightly as she stares in awe at the newfound couple that is enjoying their alone time. “Aw, finally they are together!”, she screams softly, just for Hyejin to hear it.

 

“Um-hm, next is us.”

 

Wheein distances herself from Hyejin to look at her best friend. Hyejin just keeps a serious face which has cause Wheein to freak out. “W-What do you mean?”

 

After a while, Hyejin bursts into a fit of laughter, holding her tummy trying to control it. “Oh my gosh, you should really see your face. It’s pinker than Yongsun’s hair!”

 

“Yah, Ahn Hyejin!”

 

Hyejin sprints off while giggling like a primary-school kid, follows by a furious slash flatter Wheein from behind.

 

‘I will not get out of this closet of mine. Never.’

 

FIN

____________________________________________________________

A/N: Thank you very much for spending your time to read this what-in-the-world story. (LMAO) And thanks to those who subscribed and upvoted. I really appreciate it so much. *finger heart*

Byeee. ^^

p/s: Specially dedicated to the persons that secretly give me all this inspiration. <3