Chapter 14

Falling Comets

Baekhyun was looking at Hyunsoo worriedly. He opened his mouth to say something, but Hyunsoo stopped him by speaking first.

“I really liked you, did you know that? I genuinely thought I was the luckiest girl to have found someone like you. I guess that was all too good to be true.” Hyunsoo paused to take a deep breath, then finally looked at him in the eyes. “How did you do it? Pretend for all that time?”

Baekhyun stayed silent, but after a while whispered, “What are you saying… I pretended to do what…”

“Don’t play dumb!” shouted Hyunsoo suddenly, her hands were beginning to shake. “That stupid family wedding, it’s not real, is it? It can’t be… not with the way you keep using it as an excuse to be away from me. And to think, I was upset over not being invited to the wedding…”

All the emotions that Hyunsoo had managed to supress since last night were bubbling up now. She could feel her eyes begin to well up, but no tears were falling just yet.

Baekhyun was still holding on to the flowers, but his grip on them had loosened. “Hyunsoo, listen to me,” he said, stepping closer to her and attempting to hold her hand. However, Hyunsoo pulled away and reacted so suddenly, it was as if he had given her an electric shock. “I don’t know what you think happened, but trust me, I still like you very much and I don’t want to hurt you!”

Hyunsoo thought angrily, why didn’t he get it? Why was he still lying?

“Then tell me, were you really home that morning after you left me the last time? I want the truth.”

Baekhyun’s eyes seemed to be shaking then. He must have finally realised what it was that Hyunsoo was hurt over. Maybe it was that realisation that made him hesitate to answer.

Instead of waiting for him, Hyunsoo decided to continue talking, she had lost all patience for him. “You told me on the phone in such detail that you arrived at your parent’s house in the morning, you helped them all day, and you even said you left your phone upstairs… I want to hear it from you, where were you really?”

Baekhyun still didn’t answer, though he was avoiding her gaze now. He let the bouquet of flowers fall.

“Hoseok saw you…” said Hyunsoo, as she pressed on, “Tell me, where were you?”

“I, I’m sorry Hyunsoo. I didn’t mean for it to go on for this long… I was trying to find the right time to tell you…”

“You lied to me,” whispered Hyunsoo, she looked down at the flowers, not wanting to look at him anymore. How could he lie to her all the way up to this point?

“I’m sorry,” repeated Baekhyun, “It’s Jieun that I was with… it’s just that, she didn’t want me to tell you yet because we didn’t know if we were serious or not and…”

“I don’t want to hear anymore. Just leave, and I don’t want to see you again either.” Hyunsoo turned her back on him as she said this.

“I know you’re heartbroken right now, but please try to understand. I really did like you, nothing was a lie!”

“You telling me that you don’t want to hurt me is a lie! You telling me about the wedding is a lie! Everything is just a lie! I don’t think anything was even true…” Hyunsoo started sobbing quietly, still facing away. She had promised herself that she wouldn’t cry, but, she couldn’t help the tears that were starting to fall.

“What about you?” Baekhyun suddenly shouted. “I heard this guy over the phone talking about you sleeping over. What was that all about then?”

“Hi, uhm, sorry to interrupt this,” Jungkook said, walking to stand in between Baekhyun and Hyunsoo, who had turned around to look at him in disbelief. “Tragic moment, but I want to just clarify that Hyunsoo and I have nothing going on between us.” He was looking at Baekhyun with a serious expression.

Hyunsoo felt like she was going to erupt with tears and anger. How far was this douche going to go before she finally cracked? “What are you doing here?” Fresh tears were still rolling down her cheek.

Jungkook glanced at her for a second, before looking back at Baekhyun. “This really is tragic. Your boyfriend, I mean ex-boyfriend now I assume, was with my ex-girlfriend the entire time.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened at that. “Jieun?”

“What?” This was way too much to handle in just one night. Actually, everything had been hard to handle since Hyunsoo met Jungkook.

Jungkook continued. “You’ve been lying to Hyunsoo for a whole month now. I was just lucky to catch Jieun out and break up with her as soon as it had started.” He looked at Hyunsoo. “You should’ve told me properly who your boyfriend was that day I asked you.”

A flashback went through Hyunsoo’s head as she remembered Jungkook asking about her boyfriend all those times. In those moments, it just seemed like he was being nosy and annoying, but if she had only mentioned his name in front of him, she would’ve found out about him cheating before she did with Hoseok.

“Listen Hyunsoo,” said Jungkook, “I’m sorry for just turning up like this. You might have guessed by now, but I somehow had a feeling that this guy,” he nodded at Baekhyun, “was the same one who took my girlfriend away from me. I was hurt too, so I know how you feel, but guys like Baekhyun don’t deserve anything from you.”

Hyunsoo was still crying, but managed to say in a calmer voice than before, “What do you expect me to do then?”

Baekhyun interrupted before Jungkook could reply. “Hyunsoo, I’ll leave Jieun and make it up to you. I didn’t know Jieun was cheating too, she never told me. Please, just…”

“I think you should just leave.” Jungkook’s voice came out harsh and strong, it even scared Hyunsoo.

There was a short pause, in which everyone looked at one another in turn. Jungkook was mainly focused on Hyunsoo, who had stopped crying now and was wiping away her tears. Baekhyun looked from Jungkook to Hyunsoo, and back. He looked confused for a bit, before it changed to a poker face.

“Fine,” said Baekhyun finally. “I’ll go. Hyunsoo, I just want you to know that if you ever decide to forgive me, please call me back so we can sort this out. I’m sorry it had to turn out this way…” he cast a glare at Jungkook, as if trying to show that it was his fault.

“Bye,” said Jungkook disdainfully.

Hyunsoo frowned at Jungkook, and watched Baekhyun walk away sadly. The flowers were still on the ground where Baekhyun had dropped them. She couldn’t believe he kept this from her for so long, or the fact that he thought leaving Jieun would make things better. Baekhyun was Hyunsoo’s first boyfriend, so this heart break was unexpected and felt worse than she had imagined. To top it off, Jungkook didn’t even have the decency to hide his grin.

“Well, glad he’s gone now,” he said, sitting down on a nearby bench.

“Why did you come here?” Hyunsoo asked, not looking at him, but instead staring at Baekhyun’s back. He had just reached the sidewalk where his car was parked.

“Why not? I happened to overhear your phone conversation and couldn’t help but join the party.”

“You’re not involved.” Hyunsoo looked at him in the eyes. Baekhyun had just driven away now.

“I am, remember? Jieun was my girlfriend, and both our relationships turned into lies because Baekhyun and Jieun decided to get together.”

“Shut up. I don’t want to hear this. Everything is just a joke to you, isn’t it?” said Hyunsoo, sighing and beginning to walk away. “I’m going home.”

“Hey, wait,” Jungkook called, he stood up and came closer to Hyunsoo. “Sorry. It’s just that, this is how I make myself feel better. I get hurt, and instead of trying to move on from it or show my true feelings, I just turn it into a joke and let it taint me.”

“That will end up hurting you even more,” said Hyunsoo.

“I know. I can’t help it. I’m not so great at showing emotions like this.” Jungkook stopped and looked down. After a short pause, he said, “Well, go home then.”

His sudden change of tone surprised Hyunsoo. Before it sounded kinder and more considerate, like he was trying to make her feel better. Then, it changed back to the douche attitude that Hyunsoo has started to get used to.

Without saying anything, Hyunsoo began making her way home, but it hadn’t been more than a minute when Jungkook shouted after her saying, “Hey! This doesn’t mean I’m going to stop annoying you in the future, okay?”