Part 5

Ryoushi
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The plane ride to Jeju Island was quiet and comfortable; Chaeyoung had the window seat while Mina sat near the aisle. Chaeyoung had a book she was reading but, every now and again, she would sneak a glance at Mina’s sleeping face. She remembered the last time she saw her asleep and, just like then, she tried to give Mina her peace but the time they’ve spent apart made it hard not to speak.

Eventually, she couldn't take it anymore.

"You can hear me, can't you?" It was more of a statement than a question.

"I told you before, just because I'm asleep, doesn't mean I can't hear you. Although this time, I'm only resting my eyes." Mina answered after a couple of seconds, not opening her eyes. But she did smile.

Chaeyoung shook her head and smiled a little.

"Since you're awake, can I ask you something?"

"Of course. Ask away."

"Do you think this assassin is really from one of the Clans?"

Mina opened her eyes at that, turning her head to the side to look at the other girl.

"I know she is."

"How?"

“She killed a man in the middle of the day on a crowded street. She killed another at a dinner party where all of the lights were on. No one saw her face, no one saw her enter, no one saw her leave. Only the Clans teach that kind of precision and stealth."

"I thought all of you usually operate at night."

"Most, if not all, do. Committing these crimes in broad daylight is very difficult. But not impossible."

"Could you do it?"

Mina averted her gaze and thought about the question. "Yes, I can. But I do my best work at night. It’s easier to bring weapons out,” she said.

Chaeyoung nodded and looked out of the window. Despite knowing how dangerous Mina could be, she couldn't help but smile. She felt good having her close. They were hunting a killer but she couldn't have felt more secure. Of course, that was because Mina was one of the best and most skilled assassins she had ever met. Even with that knowledge, she felt safe and secure, confident in knowing Mina would never use those skills on her.

Chaeyoung knew that she would protect her. Mina would never said that out loud but she never had to; there was something in her eyes that told her that. Chaeyoung forgot that in the past nine months. But just being near Mina again, she remembered.

And, in the ninja's heart, she would do everything she could to protect Chaeyoung. She didn't know when she decided it. She just knew that she did.

--------------------

After landing in Jeju Island, the duo headed straight for Park Jihyo's home. Chaeyoung knocked on the door and a woman opened it. She was pretty and voluptuous; her eyes were big and twinkling. She seemed like a woman who could definitely hold her own. Mina could see a quiet fierceness under that beautiful façade.

"Park Jihyo?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Yes?" the woman replied.

Chaeyoung held out her hand, "Son Chaeyoung. I'm with Sokorpol. Im Nayeon mentioned we'd be coming by."

Jihyo shook Chaeyoung’s hand as she said, "She did, indeed." She opened the door further, "Please come in."

"Thank you." Chaeyoung looked at Mina, "And this is…" She thought about using Mina’s codename but decided to forgo it. Nayeon said they could trust Jihyo so she decided to do right away. "This is Mina. She'll be assisting us on the case. She's an expert in this area."

Mina gave Jihyo a polite head nod and offered a handshake.

"Good to meet you, Mina." Jihyo shook her hand. As soon as they shook hands, Jihyo could feel something different. She looked Mina over. "You're like her… aren't you?"

"Her?" Mina asked.

"The Pink Shuriken," Jihyo answered as they all stepped inside.

"So you do know about the killer," Chaeyoung said.

Jihyo closed the door behind them and locked it.

"I do."

"What can you tell us?"

"Come with me."

They followed Jihyo through her house as she led them to an office toward the back of the house.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter