final

Love is a War

BACKGROUND TO THIS: Kyungsoo is around 18 in this story and soildiers are allowed to enlist at around 20. Homouality was rejected then, but there was one officer that had a liking towards men during Valley Forge. That’s all you really need to know but yeah! I need help.

NOT PROOFREAD, ERRORS AHEAD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was 1765 in Boston, Massachusetts, the weather getting colder and the air breezier as autumn was making its way down the colonies. Of course, Kyungsoo would have loved this weather as he would be able to take out his jackets, but this year was terrible. After the British had brought their troops into the colonies to reorganize the people after the Seven Year War, the remembered with their dim-witted heads that their Redcoats needed a place to stay. So, with that, the start of the Quartering Act arrived.

He was an only child, being born in a small house in the middle of a frigid winter. He was small and lithe, with wide eyes and pale skin that brought him lots of scrutiny. To be in the midst of a huge conflict with their own mother country on their freedom, he should have been working in the battlefield or at least working in a battlefront.

But his father had died when Kyungsoo was sixteen during the Seven Year War. He had grown up with a motherly influence, which led to him learning how to sew and cook stews and meats. She would shower him with love even though they were struggling to survive. And the blasted British decided that they would let all the colonists have more mouths to feed even with all the taxes they had put beforehand.

Kyungsoo sighed as he walked out from the market, waving at a few of the shop owners before looking at the ports. Large wooden masts occupied the area with flags waving proudly on their poles. He spotted men standing with Redcoats, their chest puffed up with mockery as they laughed at some of the passers.

“Oh, look at that!” He heard a gruff shout from behind him. Kyungsoo stiffened, his hand gripping the cloth covering his basket as he heard the click of the soldier’s boots on the rock street. “I think we’ve found ourselves a beaut!” Kyungsoo turned around as he saw a group of soldiers standing there, looming over him as he furrowed his eyebrows.

“Bet you he’s one of them.” The tallest said, his eyebrows raising in knowing as Kyungsoo’s drew a sharp breath. He got those thoughts a lot because of his looks and his actions. But one thing he knew was, he couldn’t deny it.

Kyungsoo flashed a smile before speaking. “Thank you for the wonderful comment, but I wish to not spoil my day or your own either, so I will be going now.” He said before grumbling slightly, turning around on his heel as he felt the burning glares of the soldiers and the booming shouts from the rest of the group. 

He finally reached the small brick house, the chimney blowing steam as he walked into their home, the place warm and stuffy. “Mother, I’m home!” He greeted happily before placing the basket of breads and meat onto the wooden table.

His mother sat with her long hair pulled behind her as she held a piece of paper n her hand, the crème envelope thrown over into a corner. Kyungsoo came up beside her as he looked at the neat handwriting, the paper crumpled as his mother looked up at him Folding the letter up, she sighed. “We are going to be housing some soldiers for the next couple of days.”

Kyungsoo’s breath hitched as he remembered what happened a few minutes ago. What if they were the same people? Would they punish him? Or his mother?

Kyungsoo nodded quickly before going up into his room and clearing out things in preparation of the visitors. He took a small stack of letters on his desk and slid them underneath his bed, the sheets astray underneath the wooden frame. Kyungsoo looked outside the tiny glass window that was situated beside his bed as he saw a sea of redcoats lining up and walking out of homes, the sky making the coats stand out even more than usual. He felt his heart thud down towards his feet as he imagined them in his house, wondering about what they could do to them. He sat down on his bed, the frame creaking slowly as he crossed his legs and picked up his book. He looked at the window once more, the dreary sky bringing his spirts down as he saw from afar the white clouds of cloth that covered the harbor ahead.

It wasn’t until later in the day that his mother called him down after there was a rapping on the door. Kyungsoo rushed down, wearing worn out brown pants that ran up towards his calves and a cotton shirt that accentuated his pale skin. His mother opened the door as he bowed his head down and saw the shining shoes and ruffled frocks that made Kyungsoo wanted to burst laughing. He always thought that the era of style was extremely hilarious and that it made no sense to put more clothes on when it made you look more ridiculous.

“Hello Madam and…” the man waited until Kyungsoo lifted his head. “Sir.” A man in the back stifled a laugh before bringing his shoulders back and shaking his head. Kyungsoo looked up as his lips twisted into a small frown. Kyungsoo scanned the three soldiers with careful eyes as Mother closed the door as they went inside, sliding their shoes off at the door as they looked around the dusty house, trying to find any reason for condemning us to Parliament.
“Gentlemen, Kyungsoo will show you to your rooms.” She guided her arm towards the upper part of the house, her eyes hard as she looked towards Kyungsoo. He nodded gravely before plodding up the stairs, hearing the mock laughs and insults thrown at him as he gestured towards the three rooms.

“These will be your rooms. Look in them if you’d like, but we are not holding anything in here that would be suspicious.” Kyungsoo turned around, making his way downstairs before one of the men held onto his arm, his face plastered with a greasy smile.
“Why don’t you show us around the house, boy?” His other arm was coming dangerously close to Kyungsoo’s lips. Kyungsoo tried to shy away before he heard the clank of boots on the stairs and a mellow voice come from behind him.

“Leave the boy alone, Percy.” The man, Percy, scowled before he retracted his hand from Kyungsoo wrist and retreating into one of the rooms. Kyungsoo saw the rest leave to their rooms as he turned around his head down.

“Thank you sir, but I must be helping my mother with dinner…” Kyungsoo lifted his head as he gasped. His heart thudded, his face went pale and his fingertips cold. “J-Jongin?”
Kyungsoo was not mistaken, even if they had been separated for the past fifteen years of his life. He was tall and lean with muscle, his tan skin unblemished and his brown eyes still having their ominous flecks of gold that Kyungsoo was enraptured with.

Of course Kyungsoo wouldn’t be able to forget the face of his first love. The one he had tried to write countless of times, only to store away those pieces of parchment under his bed.

“How do you know my name? I’ve never met you before.” Jongin tilted his head slightly. Kyungsoo’s heart started clenching, his heart aching as he heard those words.

I’ve never met you before.

Kyungsoo shook his head as he breathed a deep breath. “I must have been think about someone else. Now if you will excuse me, I’m going to need to ask my mother about where you will be staying.” Kyungsoo retreated back towards the stairs, his footsteps light and dainty as he went down, his heart heavy with regret.  

“You saw him Mother?” He said softly as she stirred the pot with a wooden spoon. She nodded her head sadly. “He said he doesn’t remember us. He-“ his voice started to break. “He doesn’t remember me.” His mother put the spoon down before wrapping her arms tightly around Kyungsoo. She had always been the one to support whatever happened even if society deemed him as filth.

“I know son, I know.” Her voice was soft, like a lullaby as she let him go.

“Where should he stay?” Kyungsoo asked as he got a small cloth and wiped his face.

“He’s going to have to stay in your room. My room’s too small and we can’t let him see anything.” Kyungsoo nodded solemnly as he turned back towards the stairs. Jongin stood there, his eyes watchful as Kyungsoo led him into his bedroom.

“You’ll be sleeping here. This is the best we can offer, so I will take the floor. We will have dinner in a few, so please go change into whatever is needed.” Kyungsoo looked around in his closet, his back towards Jongin as he rummaged for some light duvets to lay on the floor. He felt eyes burning on his neck but he chose to ignore as he quickly laid out the makeshift bed for himself and made his way out the room and into the kitchen, hoping that putting his mind on something else would calm his fast-beating heart.

The men came down later on, grumbling about their rooms and things of that sort as they sat gruffly around the small table, a steaming pot of stew in front of them as they started spooning it into their bowls. It only took a few minutes before the pot was completely empty and all the men were filled. Kyungsoo stayed quiet the entire time, his eyes trained on the broth as he still felt Jongin’s eyes piercing him, as if they were calculating his every move. He swiftly went to put up his bowl as he whispered a silent goodnight and run up the stairs, his steps padded and soft. He quickly threw his shirt on the ground as he switched his clothes and got ready for bed, pulling himself onto the cold floor. He brought up the dusty covers as he laid on his side silently.

He didn’t want to start crying. He didn’t. It wasn’t like he was hurt or that he felt betrayed by his own heart. He saw the slip of yellowed paper tucked under his wooden bed frame, he couldn’t hold it. Small trails of tears streaked his face. He heard Jongin laughing from downstairs, the mellow sound resonating inside him.

It hurt to know that Jongin didn’t remember him. It really did, but Kyungsoo still found his way towards sleep. His breathing was soft, coming out in little puffs as Jongin padded up the stairs after getting his clothes. He saw Kyungsoo sleeping on the floor, his cover flung of his body. He chuckled quietly before scooping the small figure into his arms and placing him on the warm bed. Jongin tucked the covers in and sat their quietly, watching as Kyungsoo turned towards the side and sniffled. Jongin didn’t miss the wet spots on Kyungsoo face as they were reflected in the moonlight. He sighed before getting up and changing into his down clothes, putting on the articles of clothing as he looked at Kyungsoo’s back. He walked over and placed a small kiss on his temple before laying down on the floor and pulling the covers back up on him and falling to sleep.

Morning came, and the sun filtered through the windows. Kyungsoo grumbled softly before shaking his head and sitting up on bed. He smacked his lips before stretching his arms to start the day. He jumped off the bed before squealing quickly as he saw a body lying on the floor, covered in white sheets. He tiptoed around it before remembering that Jongin was here, on his floor.

“I thought I was sleeping on the floor.” Kyungsoo whispered as he pulled the covers around Jongin tightly and going to pick his clothes from the small chest on the ground. He turned towards the sleeping Jongin and smiled at how peaceful he looked. His brown hair was tussled and his tan skin was in contrast with the white covers on his bed. Kyungsoo sighed quietly before going into one of the spacious cupboard and changing in there. He heard the clattering of some utensils and the crackling of a fire before he felt a sense of relief fill him down towards his toes. It had been some time since he had felt this comforted after his father had passed, and Kyungsoo needed it as much as he could. He quickly changed before crawling out of the cupboard and getting the clothes he had folded for Jongin the previous night before swiftly leaving the room. He could have sworn he saw that the older’s eyes were open but he quickly fizzled the idea before helping his mother with the cooking.

And Jongin stayed frozen as he surrounded the covers around his body. The door was slightly ajar and Jongin saw Kyungsoo’s pale skin, the moles that littered his body and all the small dips that created his frames. He knew Kyungsoo was breathtaking, but seeing him after thirteen years has made Jongin at a loss for words. Everything about Kyungsoo was too much for him and if it wasn’t enough, his heart was hurting after all the glances and sad looks that he tried so hard to avoid. Jongin got up as he saw a loose white shirt and trousers left for him. On top, there was a small note for him in tiny handwriting.

‘Mother wanted you to blend in with the crowd while you’re here. There have been many outrages that are going on with soldiers, so she wanted to be careful.’

Jongin had heard about colonists hiding rocks in their baskets while coming back from the market and stoning British soldiers. It had been happening for the past week and Jongin couldn’t find more happiness in being in Kyungsoo’s house. He changed into the clothes quickly as he tucked the loose shirt in lazily before walking down the stairs in silence. Kyungsoo was talking with Mrs. Do as he stood behind the wall leading towards the kitchen.

He felt like a little kid playing a game with their school friends as he watched how Kyungsoo’s lips turned into a heart when he smiled. Jongin couldn’t deny the fast pace of his heat whenever he saw Kyungsoo. He stood back up as he puffed out his cheeks to calm himself down before walking out into the kitchen to greet them a good morning. Kyungsoo avoided his eyes completely, his head hung low as Jongin looked towards Kyungsoo.
Jongin felt a pang of guilt as he passed by the pair and sat at the table, his appetite small as he looked at Percy and the others eating their breakfast quickly. Jongin started eating slowly and Mrs. Do must have noticed because she patted the older on the shoulder to get his attention.

“Why don’t you go down to the market with Kyungsoo, just to give him some company?” Kyungsoo tried to protest, but was shot down quickly with a stern look from his mother.

“I’ll go get the basket.” Kyungsoo said with a glum look on his face. Jongin furrowed his eyebrows before taking the cloak that was being handed to him. Mrs. Do saw his expression and brought her hand on his shoulder in a comforting manner.
“I’m sorry about his behavior, it’s just some things have happened with close friends of his.” Mrs. Do muttered quietly as she looked at Jongin with watchful eyes. Jongin felt significantly smaller as he waited for Kyungsoo to come back down. Once he did, Mrs. Do waved before going back to the other soldiers in the house. It was silent as they walked down the street and only then did Jongin realize how bad the situation had gotten. It almost looked like the life had been out of the old town he used live in. The sky was a dreary grey and the buildings loomed with a sadness untold. Jongin had been so caught up with the war that he wasn’t able to truly look at the state the colonies had become. Kyungsoo’s head was brought down, his cloak billowing as he walked down the streets. Jongin looked to the side and saw a few soldiers snickering at Kyungsoo, eyeing him slowly as he walked past. Jongin growled slightly as he wanted to put an arm around Kyungsoo, but he knew that would hurt the younger even more.

Kyungsoo brought his lips into a forced smile as he looked at the woman in the booth, her cheeks red as she rubbed her hands to keep her warm in the cold. Jongin stayed silent as he watched from the side, bring his own cloak around him to shield from the blasting winds. Kyungsoo took the basket that was filled with fruits as he took his cloak off and handed it to the elderly woman. Jongin stayed to the side as he saw Kyungsoo lips move before smiling. The woman’s eyes looked cold as she smiled back, but he stayed quiet as Kyungsoo came back to where he was and motioned for him to come. Jongin and Kyungsoo walked in a quietness that seem to choke Jongin fully.

“The town has changed since I last saw it.” Jongin said with a lull, his eyes looking at Kyungsoo’s profile.

Kyungsoo on the other hand, look straight ahead, his pale skin looking blinding in Jongin’s eyes. “Yeah, it has.” And Jongin decided that he didn’t want to talk, so they stayed silent for the remaining time until they reached the house.

Kyungsoo’s mother brought them inside quickly, scolding Kyungsoo for taking too long and thanking Jongin for watching him.
“Mother, where did the soldiers go?” Kyungsoo asked as Jongin started to walk up the stairs, entering Kyungsoo’s room.

“They left a while ago for their duty. And Kyungsoo, did you-“Jongin heard the voices go out completely, which signaled that they were talking about something important. Jongin took the chance as he looked around the room in a rush, trying to find any mention of him in Kyungsoo’s life. Jongin really couldn’t deny what was happening to his heart. He needed a comfort that he felt was in Kyungsoo, if he could only find a letter or anything that could have meant that he was still thinking about him. He couldn’t deny it.

He needed Kyungsoo. He searched in a fervor, bending under the wooden bed to see a pile of papers lying on the floor. He heard Kyungsoo’s mother announcing her taking leave but payed no attention. It wasn’t until he took one but was stopped by a shaking voice.

“What are you doing?” Kyungsoo whispered as he padded over to Jongin’s figure. He was frozen as he lifted his head and looked up at Kyungsoo’s face. His plump lips were quivering as he snatched the letters from Jongin’s hands. “I knew it.”
Jongin looked down as he got up, his ears red with shame as he felt like the old nine-year-old he once was.

“I-I can exp-“ Kyungsoo put a hand up and pointed to the door.

“Get out. Let me calm down first before you say anything.” Jongin looked at Kyungsoo and couldn’t help think of how stupid he was to hurt such a beautiful person. With his head down and eyebrows furrowed, he walked out of the room and shut the door quietly. Once he did, he heard the start of sobbing coming Kyungsoo and Jongin sighed. He knew that it was going to be hard to bring up the topic as he had tried to pretend not to know Kyungsoo.

But he needed Kyungsoo.

In the back, he heard his sobs get louder and little murmurings coming from Kyungsoo’s mouth. He couldn’t take it. Jongin opened the door as Kyungsoo looked up with eyes wet and face streaked. Jongin grabbed his wrist as he brought him up and took him into a kiss. Kyungsoo struggled as he tried to push his way out of Jongin’s arms. Jongin held on as he broke the kiss, his hands still gripped onto Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “Wh-at are you doing! Get away from me!” Kyungsoo gasped as he tried to regain his breath.

“Kyungsoo, I can’t, you know I can’t.” Jongin begged, looking at Kyungsoo for an answer. “Why do you keep doing this to me?”
“Jongin, you knew from the beginning that this couldn’t happen! We could be, you could be killed!

“I’m willing to take that chance.” Jongin said as he dived back in and pushed Kyungsoo onto the rickety bed as he took him farther than the both of them have ever gone.

.

.

.

It had been a couple years since Kyungsoo had Jongin come to his household because of the Quartering Act. Jongin had went back to Britain, promising that he would come back for Kyungsoo. It was around seven years of waiting that Jongin resigned from his position and was able to smuggle his way onto a ship into Boston. The war was still in full power, but Jongin had found a small town far from the war.
It was there that Kyungsoo and Jongin stayed to themselves with the occasional letter to his mother and Jongin’s parents to let them know they were okay.

And to their joy, a few years later they were able to adopt a small boy and be able to enjoy with the rest of the colonies in their victory over Britain. It was a simple life, but it was one full of love.
Love that both Kyungsoo and Jongin couldn’t go without.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is a oneshot I’ve been planning since 2 months ago,

and I just finished it (hahaha)

I just couldn’t put any because 1) I’m terrible at it and 2) how would it work then? Like I don’t think they used the word ‘’ back then unless it was to insult someone.