Chapter 4

Stranded Without Wifi

 

 

here's
I slipped a song part into this so here is the 

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhMfiabO3GI DON'T PLAY IT RIGHT NOW, I'm pretty sure you know when to play it, but if not, I will throw the link in again at the part.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~

"Is he okay?" Joohyun cast a worried glance at Jihoon sitting at the dining table with his back turned to her. His hands were swiftly typing over a messily drawn phone on a piece of paper. "Should we send him to a hospital?" 

 

"Haha, no umma." Jacob let out a small laugh from his spot on the stool, scribbling a few more notes on his composition sheet. "I heard that it's just a phase."

 

"Not again!" Jihoon shouted, his paper torn in half from the intense typing. 

 

"Can you help him, Jacob, that's his 5th piece of paper." She sighed watching Jihoon toss the ripped pieces to the side and reach out for another paper with a now twitchy arm. Wordlessly, Jacob got up and walked to Jihoon. 

 

"Hoonie~." Jacob slowly slid the paper out from under the younger, "How about some fresh air? Haknyeon is doing one of his morning routines, then you can go back to this." Jihoon got up with another twitch, eyes wide and red. 

 

"Y-yeah." His pace was lumbered, almost zombie-like as he finally went into the backyard.

 

Jihoon only had to take a few steps before he could hear the sound of a dance track ringing out in the open air. Haknyeon was several meters away, dancing. Jihoon stayed in his standing position. His arms twitching from the lack of a typing motion. 

 

Haknyeon's dancing was interesting, his style almost bizarre. Haknyeon was making use of a tree, doing all sorts of swings and jump offs the tree trunks and branches that felt reminiscent of subway dancers to Jihoon.   

 

Oink! Ggul appeared out of nowhere and rubbed his head against Jihoon's leg, begging for any sort of affection. Haknyeon seemed to hear the pig too and turned around. Seeing Jihoon, he smiled, turning off the music and running to them. 

 

"Ggullie!" Haknyeon scooped up the little pig and rubbed it's back. Ggul was already drowning in the affection, squealing happily. "Jigoo, are you okay? Your eyes are red." 

 

"I'm fine, I didn't get enough sleep... because I didn't have my phone!" The sudden increase in volume earned an equally loud squeal of disapproval from Ggul, trying to bury its head in Haknyeon's armpit to block the noise. 

 

"You should try dancing!" Haknyeon put down Ggul, the pig protesting. "Here you go!" Haknyeon fished a piece of bacon out of his pocket and fed it to Ggul, who took the snack with delight, keeping him occupied. 

 

"Why would that hel - ah!" Jihoon screamed as Haknyeon spun him around while humming some kind of salsa song. By the time Haknyeon finished his song, Jihoon was already sprawled out on the ground laughing. 

 

"That was the stupidest thing I've done in my life." Jihoon sputtered in between coughs and laughs.

 

"But I can tell you liked it." Haknyeon wiggled his shoulders, body still shaking to a beat. 

 

"Fine, it was fun," Jihoon admitted. 

 

"Dancing is a good release of energy and a great stress reliever!" Haknyeon did a few quick spins on his foot as if to emphasize his point. 

 

"I guess so, I've never tried dancing before." Haknyeon's eyes widened. 

 

"Really!?!" Joohyun came outside, smiling at Jihoon's now normal state. 

 

"Sorry to interrupt, it seems like you two were having fun. But could you run to the market and grab some lemons and cilantro for me? Don't worry," Joohyun leaned in closer to Jihoon as if she was telling a secret, " It's technology free."

 

"Jihoon, you're about to learn so much about dance, see you later Umma!" Haknyeon tugged Jihoon away from the house, already preparing his points on why dance was such a great activity.  

 

~~~~

 

Woojin bit his lip watching the twisting roads go by. It only occurred to him 40 minutes after he told the taxi driver to go east that he had absolutely no idea where Jihoon could be in Jeju. 

 

"Uh, can I ask you something?" The driver looked into his front mirror and made eye contact with Woojin, giving a hum of acknowledgment. "Can you pull over for a moment?"  The taxi driver nodded and pulled to the side. Woojin apologized and rolled down his window, searching for anyone nearby to ask for help. An old woman was walking down the road. 

 

"Excuse me!" Woojin stumbled out of the taxi to get to the woman, his glasses falling off his face from the sudden movement. 

 

"Need anything?" The woman had turned around and was watching Woojin clean his glasses. 

 

"Ah yes, " Woojin pulled out his phone scrolling to one of Jihoon's many selcas from online. "Do you know this person?" The woman glanced at it, looking towards the sky after to rack her brain for any information. 

 

"Jihoon?" The woman seemed almost confused looking at the photo. 

 

"You know Jihoon? It's him in the photo." Realization washed over the woman's face. 

 

"That's my second nephew! What brings you to see him?" The woman gave Woojin a suspicious look. 

 

"Uh well, um, " Woojin scratched his throat, "I'm his close friend and I wanted to kiss - I, I-i mean to visit him." The woman continued her stare, Woojin gulped and tugged at his collar to release some heat. The woman laughed and slapped Woojin's back. 

 

"Don't be so tense, of course, I'll let you see him, he's out right now but he'll be back soon, our house is right over there." The woman pointed to a house at the end of the road. "What's your name?"

 

"Woojin." 

 

"Okay Woojin, want to grab your belongings from the taxi and we'll be on our way." Woojin smiled at the suggestion. 

 

"Let's go." 

 

~~~~

 

"Why is aunt Joohyun giving me a weird look." Joohyun was standing on the front porch, awaiting Haknyeon and Jihoon's return. 

 

"Maybe she missed us?" Haknyeon suggested. 

 

"It was only 30 minutes though." They made it to the house. 

 

"Jihoon! You didn't tell me that you had a boyfriend." Joohyun exclaimed. 

 

"Daniel's here?!!" Jihoon rushed inside, dropping his bags.

 

Jihoon turned into the kitchen, seeing someones figure, "Daniel I- oh. Hi." Jihoon slumped his shoulders, disappointed to see only Woojin there.

 

"Sorry, I'm not who I want you to be." Woojin gave a shy smile.

 

"Oh, it's fine," Jihoon spoke in a soft tone. "But why are you here, what about Daniel?" Woojin rested his chin on his palm.

 

"I'm visiting to check in on you because Daniel's well, uh he's been busy." Jihoon crossed his arms.

 

"That's not fun." Jihoon pouted, Woojin resisted the urge to lean over and kiss it. "But if you say so." Jihoon took a deep breathe as if to release all his worry.  "Let's go outside, Haknyeon said it's always better to have fresh air." 

 

~~~

 

They sat on the edge of the porch, absorbing the wonderful scene of nature in front of them. They end up talking long enough that the sun begins to set in front of them before they realize it. Jacob had brought out dinner for the both them and retreated indoors with a warning of not to stay outside too long. They eat in silence for a while

 

"He's nice," Woojin notes as Jihoon takes another bite of the japchae in his lap. 

 

"I've heard everyone here say that about him. Too bad he doesn't deserve this life." Woojin quirked an eyebrow. Jihoon continued with Woojin's response, his hands fidgeted -as if they were on a cellphone- as he explained. 

 

"He has EHS, it's some sickness that lets you not be around electronics I guess, it's too bad" Jihoon's hands stopped fidgeting, one hand gathering another bite of the japchae. "He wanted to live in the city, but he can't because of it." Jihoon took the last spoonful of his food, chewing slowly. 

 

"Is that why you left?" Jihoon swallowed, he glanced down at his empty plate. 

 

"I have it too..." Woojin looked at Jihoon.

 

"I-" Woojin reached out his hand

 

"Don't be sorry." Jihoon turned away from the hand, gazing up at the last glimmer of sunlight disappearing into the night. "It's only 6 months, I think I'll m-make it." A sniffle came from Jihoon.  

 

"If you think it's going to be okay then don't cry."  Jihoon quivered at Woojin's calming tone, unleashing his built up tears. 

 

"I-i'm s-sorry." Jihoon wiped a tear away. 

 

"Don't be sorry." Woojin placed his hand on Jihoon's back. His thumbing rubbing his back in a soothing motion. "It must be hard living a different life, but you know," Woojin's thumb stopped moving, "If life gives you something new, maybe it's time to trust in new beginnings." Jihoon chuckled, his sobs fading. 

 

"It's only 6 months." Jihoon placed his plate aside and lied down, "What new beginning am I supposed to have in a place without wifi or Daniel!" 

 

Woojin laughed at the protest, letting his heart ignore the name mentioned by Jihoon. "I'm sure you'll find something, you could find a new hobby, a new dislike, maybe you'll find yourself." 

 

"But I already know myself, I'm Park Jihoon, who likes his life in the city." Woojin let out a huff of air and lay down beside Jihoon. 

 

"You'll find something new, I'm sure I know a million facts about myself, but a billion more for me to discover. I just have to explore myself." Jihoon whacked Woojin's arm.  

 

"You're starting to get awfully sentimental." Woojin rubbed the sore spot. 

 

"You needed it." Jihoon raised an eyebrow at him. 

 

"Why would I need it?" Woojin hummed in thought.

 

"Sometimes, you need a cheesy saying to get you through the day." Jihoon rolled his eyes. 

 

"If you say so." Jihoon moved into a more comfortable position. "Say, why did you visit me again?"

 

"Hmm." Woojin hummed for quite a while, thinking of how he should say it. It was only when Jacob's voice carried out the window in one of his nighttime sessions did Woojin come up with his answer. 

 

 

Baby I'm falling

 

"I did say I was checking in for Daniel, but." Woojin turned to Jihoon. 

 

Head over heels

 

"I wanted to see you myself." A light snore came from Jihoon. 

 

Looking for ways to let you know just how I feel

 

Woojin studied Jihoon's features, cursing the Gods above for letting him fall in love with someone so perfect. Woojin reached for Jihoon's hand.

 

I wish I was holding

 

Jihoon's lips quirked into a smile. 

 

You by my side 

 

"Daniel~." Jihoon breathed out happily.

 

I wouldn't change a thing cause finally it's real 

 

Woojin retracted his hand, slumping back down. 

 

Trying to hold back, you oughta know that

 

"One day." 

 

You're the one that's on my mind

 

"One day, I'll let you know."

 

I'm falling too fast, deeply in love 

 

"And if you returned even a sliver of my love." 

 

Finding the magic in the colors of you 

 

"I would be happy for eternity." 

 

~~~~~

 

Something cold landed in between Woojin's eyes, he opened them to see snowflakes fluttering from the sky. Snowfall in March, how interesting; it would be the first snow of the year as well. He watched the snowfall, his body feeling too tired to move, he glanced over at Jihoon and smiled at his still sleeping figure. 

 

"You're going to catch a cold." An umbrella blocked Woojin's view. Jacob came into his peripheral, holding out a hand for him to get up. 

 

"You can take it inside, I got Jihoon." Jacob helped Woojin up and placed the umbrella in his hand. He pulled a blanket out from beside him placing it over Jihoon and tapping him to wake up. 

 

Woojin dragged his feet to the door, still groggy. Jacob leaned Jihoon on one shoulder, and carefully led him inside. 

 

"Do you want to sleep upstairs?" Jacob asked before going upstairs with the sleeping Jihoon. 

 

"The couch is fine, thank you." Jacob nodded before going upstairs. 

 

Woojin plopped himself onto the couch, sinking into its softness. 

 

He felt someone shroud him in a blanket before he drifted off to sleep. 

 

~~~~~

 

"What's this?" Jihoon asked as a journal was hastily shoved into his hands by Woojin. 

 

"I don't know, I bought it from the airport, maybe you'd want to write your thoughts on it sometime." Woojin bowed his head in embarrassment before ducking into the taxi.

 

 "Thank you! Bye Woojin!" Jihoon waved at Woojin about to close the taxi door, "One more thing." 

 

"Yeah?" Woojin looked at Jihoon. 

 

"Can you get Daniel to come see me?" Woojin smiled softly. 

 

"I will try." Jihoon clapped in excitement. 

 

"Thank you! That was nice last night, you should come again." Woojin nodded. 

 

"Soon." Woojin shut the door, waving to Jihoon as the taxi sped off. 

 

The taxi driver glanced up in his front mirror, seeing Woojin still looking back in the direction of the Bae's house. 

 

"Boyfriend?" 

 

"I wish."