Chapter 1

Stranded Without Wifi

Jihoon liked to think that he was lucky, he had a boyfriend of 1 year, his family was well off, but most importantly; his thousands of followers on Instagram and Twitter.

 

He wouldn't have it any other way right now, celebrating his first anniversary with his boyfriend at a sushi restaurant, snuggled into his lap while editing a recent selfie he was going to post on Instagram.

 

"Yah Daniel! Stop tickling me!" Jihoon squirmed in his boyfriend's lap as delicate fingers brushed softly on his sides, attacking his sensitive spot. Jihoon fumbled with the phone in one hand. "You're going to make me delete our photo by accident!"

 

"Oh yeah, we can't lose that photo." Daniel pouted and withdrew his fingers, watching Jihoon post the photo on Instagram. The duo sat silently for a few minutes. They watched the screen with eager eyes, awaiting the usual likes and compliments of how cute they looked together.

 

"Here are your dynamite and California rolls, enjoy." A female waitress served the plate on the table with a bow and walked away.

 

Jihoon almost teared up at how beautiful the rolls looked. The tempura was fried to a perfect golden brown, the avocado was smoothed just right and the seaweed was wrapped around all the ingredients with such finesse only one thought popped into his mind: the perfect twitter post.

 

"I have to take a photo of this." Jihoon pulled up his camera app, smiling as he saw the 50+ notifications for his selfie with Daniel.

 

"Good idea." Daniel proceeded to take out his phone and take photos of the food as well.

 

Silence washed over the two again, editing their shots to look appetizing on twitter.

 

It took them 10 minutes to finish the perfect edit, satisfied, they started to eat. Jihoon moving to the other end of the table to have better access to the food.

 

The duo ate without a sound, both scrolling through their phones - with occasional sounds of approval coming from Jihoon looking at all the compliments thrown at him - before Daniel spoke up.

 

"What do you think about going out to Busan next week Jihoon?" Jihoon's eyes widened at the idea.

 

"That sounds good! I heard the weather is good this time around and that the red bean cakes there are the best!" Jihoon's his lips at the idea of sinking into his favorite food. 

 

"It would be a nice place to post many things on our social media." The two looked up at the ceiling at the thoughtfully, imagining comments pouring in by the dozen at the breath catching scenery and food in Jeju Island. In fact, it was such a wonderful thought that Jihoon did not notice the blood slowly trickling out his nose.

 

"Uh excuse me?" Jihoon was snapped out of his trance by the same waitress from 30 minutes ago. " Your nose is bleeding."

 

Jihoon touched a finger to his nose at the statement, grimacing at the crimson liquid that grazed his fingers. The waitress handed him a napkin before walking away.

 

"Are you okay?" Daniel looked at Jihoon worried. Jihoon stared at him with a blank look on his face, one hand frozen in mid-air, clutching the napkin, and the other hand still placed over his bleeding nose.

 

"I'm fine...................................................... thud!

 

Jihoon fell backward onto the floor, causing a commotion inside the restaurant as customers looked towards the boy that passed out.

 

~~~~~~~

 

Jihoon felt stiff. A brightening white light blinded his darkened vision, forcing his eyes open to a room that was glaring white. He was in a hospital room.

 

"You're awake!" Jihoon's mother was by his side, with a tearful smile. A nurse standing on the other side walked out to call a doctor.

 

"I-i.... what happened?" Jihoon asked in a daze, his eyes wandered over the ceiling as if plain white tiles could provide a clear answer.

 

"You passed out at the sushi restaurant, Daniel called an ambulance for you." Jihoon looked around for the said person.

 

"Where did he go?" He asked.

 

"He had to go to work..." Her eyes avoided Jihoon's gaze, making her answer seem incomplete.

 

"Anything else?" His mother dried the fragments of tears from her cheeks and sprang up from her spot beside him.

 

"I just realized that I need to go to the bathroom, also the doctor was running tests on your blood and said he'll have results soon." She whizzed out of the room, skipping over the beforehand question - unless her bodily functions were actually urgent.

 

Jihoon reached for a T.v remote with an absent mind, aware of the fact that every hospital room had a television set, except his hand, didn't meet any sort of device. Jihoon cringed as he felt his hand push something off the table, landing on the ground with a loud crack.

 

His eyes looked around the room, taking note of the lack of a t.v in his room or any electronic for that matter. Even his phone was absent from the area, causing Jihoon's mind to go into overdrive; thinking of all possibilities of his phone's whereabouts.

 

Jihoon's mother came back into his room a few minutes later with a doctor following behind. He was holding a clipboard, adjusting the glasses on his nose to get a better focus on it.

 

"Hello Jihoon, I'm doctor Yoon, I'll be checking your physical condition." Dr. Yoon proceeded with doing all the necessary checks on Jihoon, jotting notes down after he finished.

 

"Well, you seem fine physically, however.."

 

"No!" Dr. Yoon looked confused at Jihoon's mother as she started sobbing. "Just say, he's dying, right? Just say it's cancer!" She got into a crouching position and started muttering a million prayers.

 

"Oh my God calm down, I'm not dying." Jihoon placed a finger on his temple, having an overdramatic mom was stressful.

 

"Well um yes, he's not dying." Dr. Yoon awkwardly passed a tissue to Jihoon's mother. Who took it and blew into it hard, still sobbing about Jihoon having cancer. "However the tests did show something rather abnormal, I just want to run a small test." Dr. Yoon pulled out Jihoon's cellphone from his pocket. Jihoon's face lit up at the sight of it.

 

"You have it!" Jihoon reached his hand out in anticipation, Dr. Yoon smiled and placed it on the waiting hand.

 

Jihoon immediately immersed himself in his phone, so self-absorbed in his latest post that he did not notice the trickle of crimson liquid coming from his nose until the phone was pulled out of his hand. Jihoon gave a scandalous look to Dr. Yoon. Shutting his mouth as he felt blood daring to enter his mouth.

 

"Just as I thought." Dr. Yoon pulled a Ziploc bag from his pocket and placed Jihoon's bag inside it.

 

"Mrs. Park." Jihoon's mother had stopped her sobbing fit.

 

"Yeah?" She looked up at Dr. Yoon in question.

 

"Your son has EHS." Tears quickly began to form in her eyes.

 

"No! H-he's d-dying! I-.," Jihoon smacked his mother's cheek lightly to calm her down, "wait, what's EHS?" Dr. Yoon facepalmed at the scene, taking a deep breath before regaining the composure to deliver an explanation for this delusional woman.

 

"It's nothing too bad, it's Electromagnetic Hyper Sensitivity. Which means, your son is allergic to this," Dr. Yoon helped up Jihoon's cellphone, confined inside the Ziploc bag, "computers, tablets, anything with a screen, but most importantly, he should not be near wifi." Dr. Yoon pointed at a sign on the left wall, stating the hospital's free wifi.

 

"H-how did I get it now?" Jihoon's lower lip trembled as his eyes started glistening.

 

"Well, it's uncommon, but it tends to form in people addicted to using electronics. Since you were in a restaurant, I believe a large number of cellphones in the small area would be another trigger." A part of Jihoon wanted to jump kick the professor in the jaw for the bogus, never before heard disease and explanation. However, he was more overcome with the sadness of-

 

"W-what about my social media?" It was his mother's turn to roll her eyes, her own tears already gone.

 

"Away with that! It was about time I got you away from those brain rotting apps!" She gulped at the furious side glare she was given. "Anyways... Dr. Yoon, is there any way to reverse this disease?"

 

"This disease tends to go away with time, however, that time must be spent with minimal exposure to electronics. So, I suggest staying in a more rural area for around 5-6 months." Jihoon gasped.

 

"5-6 months!?!"

 

"That's great! Maybe you can get your life together and find out what you want to pursue in a university like a real adult, this is good timing! In fact, I already have your destination planned out!" Jihoon's mother was out the door before he could protest, she was muttering about some distant relative.

 

"I'll leave you to your own thoughts." Dr. Yoon left the room, leaving Jihoon to wallow in self-pity and his own thoughts.

 

Except he wasn't used to this.

 

Staring at a blank wall, Jihoon was bewildered by the idea of having blank thoughts. He never gave himself time to think, every spare moment was spent staring at an electronic screen, and he would stare at his phone until he passed out at night.

 

"Here I- Wipe that weird look off your face." Jihoon's mother walked back into the room after 20 minutes, cringing at the dazed face her son directed to the wall, "Entertain yourself with some actual reading for once and I'll be back tomorrow." Jihoon snapped out of his trance.

 

"Wait for wha-" A few books were thrown at him and she was out of the room faster than a cheetah on rocket shoes.

 

Jihoon looked at the books laid across his laps, he stuck his tongue out at them.

 

"Ew, reading." He did not any activity that did not involve electronics. Jihoon shrugged the books to the floor and tossed to the side again, deciding to have a staring competition with the left wall this time.

 

~

 

"This is so boring." Jihoon was now looking at the ceiling after 3 hours of being alone. His last form of human contact was the nurse that gave him dinner. "Where's Daniel?" He muttered to himself as a knock came from the door. Jihoon's eyes lit up.

 

"Come in!" Jihoon called out happily, however, all excitement disappeared when he was met with a tan face, large circle frame glasses adorned the face of the smaller boy in comparison to the pale skin and broader figure he was expecting.

 

"Oh, you're not Daniel." It was Daniel's roommate, Park Woojin. The duo had never gone out of their way to hang out together, well Jihoon hadn't. Woojin often asked if they wanted to hang out, his availability always clashing with Jihoon's.

 

"Sorry." Woojin rubbed his nape sheepishly and smiled, his trademark snaggletooth coming out, "He uh was busy and wanted me to check on you."

 

"That's great." A hint of sarcasm was evident in Jihoon's voice, Woojin seemed hurt by it.

 

"Did you want me to leave?" Panic flashed on Jihoon's face.

 

"Oh please don't! Not yet at least, I'm craving for some human interaction, it's been an eternity!" With that, Woojin stayed.

 

Their conversation was typical, questions of school, work, and home were exchanged between the two.

 

This conversation was different than any that he's had for a long time. There were no screens causing muttered answers and avoided eye contact. Maybe it was because of those circumstances that Jihoon wasn't used to the feeling inside of him.

 

"Visiting hours are up." Two hours, their conversation had lasted two hours. Woojin nodded at her before she left.

 

"I guess I should be going." Woojin had a foot out the door.

 

"Wait." Woojin looked back at Jihoon. "Tell Daniel to visit me tomorrow okay?"

 

"Of course." Woojin smiled softly and disappeared down the dim halls.

 

Wondering if the events over the last 24 hours were all a dream, Jihoon dozed off somewhere in the middle of thinking.

 

~

 

"Aren't you going to visit your boyfriend?" Daniel quirked his eyebrow at Woojin.

 

"Does he look sick?" Daniel countered with his own question.

 

"He's fine, it's just-" Woojin was cut off by a loud groan. Daniel was already getting ready to close the door. 

 

"I don't care, it'll make me look bad if I'm seen with someone that has the appearance of a zombie." Woojin didn't feel like protesting.

 

"Alright, if you say so." Woojin turned and placed a hand on his own apartment's door across the hall from Daniel's, "Good night."

 

"Goodnight." They slammed their doors shut.