His Beginning

Use Your Words

After setting the bag of ramen noodle packets on my kitchen table, I pull out my phone from my coat pocket. I should save all of their numbers before I lose the post it.

Once I’ve finished adding the seven males to my contact list, I change into my pajamas and climb into bed. The day’s events run through my head, and one set of eyes remain in my memory as I drift off to sleep.

_______

After freshening up, I sit at my kitchen table in my pajamas debating what to do about breakfast. I didn’t think about the morning when I visited the convenience store. And I have no idea what standard breakfast is in Korea.

Then, as if this were a cartoon, a lightbulb flashes above my head. I lift my phone from the table and open my contacts list. This is the perfect thing to ask Kihyun without being a burden. I switch my keyboard to Hangul (Korean) and begin typing my message. He would be up at 8 AM on a Saturday, right?

8:02 AM
Hi Kihyun, this is the girl from the convenience store last night. I’m a little stumped on what to eat for breakfast... Do you have any recommendations?

Yeah... That should do it. I press the send button and rise from the table to get changed.

______
HOSEOK

Kihyun’s phone vibrates on the coffee table in front of me as I lie on the couch. I glance over and double take when I see the first line of a message. I sneak a glance at the kitchen to see that Kihyun is still preoccupied making breakfast and snatch his phone from the table. I read the full message and glance at the kitchen again.

Kihyun met a girl? In our neighborhood? And didn’t tell us about it?

I open his phone and see that he hasn’t set her as a contact yet, so I don’t know her name. I’m stuck between letting him respond or responding to her myself.

You know what, this is my moment for revenge.

I tap on the keyboard and begin typing my message with a smile. I know the perfect solution to her dilemma. And the perfect way to make Kihyun flustered beyond belief.

After sending the message, I close the app on Kihyun’s phone and lock his phone. Let the fun begin.

_______
YOU

I sit down at my table again after getting dressed and see my phone light up. Kihyun messaged me back. I unlock my phone to read the entire message, and my eyes widen as I move down.

8:04 AM
Hi! How about you come over to my apartment for breakfast? I made plenty of food, so you’re welcome to come and join us!

Below the message is a location he sent, which I now assume is his address. Well, this is certainly a welcoming idea. I look up and watch my fridge, hoping food will magically appear inside of it. After about five minutes of wishful staring, I stand from the table and grab my coat. I send Kihyun a quick text saying I’m on my way and put my shoes on.

As I pass the convenience store, I wonder if I should bring a gift. I end up stopping inside and buy a strawberry cake. I continue to walk along the side walk and continuously glance down at my phone for directions. Their apartment is a straight walk from mine, meaning I don’t have to take any turns. I glance behind me and notice my apartment isn’t that far from my destination and look at my phone to see the time. It’s probably a five minute walk, if anything.

So, before I know it, I’m standing in front of their apartment complex’s door. There’s a passcode required to open the door to the lobby, so I text Kihyun asking for the code. He replies immediately and I punch in the numbers. The door beeps as a confirmation and I pull the door open.

As I step into the lobby, I gaze at the decorations and spot the elevator. Kihyun had texted me the floor and apartment number when he sent me the text. Once the elevator doors shut, a pleasant tune begins to play as I wait to arrive on the ninth floor. It dings as the doors open and I step into the hallway. Their apartment number is 24, which places them at the end of the hallway. Next to their door is a heavier door, which looks like it opens to a public balcony.

I take a deep breath before I knock on the door twice. Will all seven of them be here?

The door opens and an unfamiliar face appears before me. He has brown hair and looks younger than me. I smile nervously and give a little wave. “Hi.”

The boy’s eyes widen and he shuts the door immediately. I stand there confused for a few minutes before the door opens once again with another unfamiliar face. This guy is much more built than the previous and stands a whole head over me. My smile reappears and he returns it. His smile is so cute, and it quickly lowers my guard.

“Hello. Are you lost?” He asks in English. Oh right, I’m a foreigner first and foremost.

I wave my hand in dismissal and reply in Korean, “No, Kihyun actually invited me over...”

At this, the man’s brows meet and he looks over his shoulder. He shouts into the apartment, “Ya! Kihyun! Did you invite a girl over?”

One second passes and the sound of running feet fills my ears. Another man pulls the previous by the arm to look past him.

Then, as if by some magic, our eyes immediately meet and I feel my arm hairs stand on end. 

This is the man who helped me at the airport.

He smiles at me and gestures me inside just as Kihyun finally appears with wide eyes. Mr. Hero, because I still don’t know his name, lightly pushes my back towards the kitchen. There’s a table in the center with plates and silverware set up.

Kihyun exclaims my name as Mr. Hero sits me down at one end of the table. His hands remain on my shoulders while Kihyun sits next to me. “What are you doing here? I mean, not that you’re not welcome or anything, I just had no idea you were visiting.”

“Huh? What do you mean? You invited me over.” I say as I hold my phone within his eye sight and show him my messages. Kihyun’s eyes read through the conversation and move to glare above my head once he’s finished. I look up and see Mr. Hero looming over me like a giant.

He looks down at me and smiles brightly. Then, he places his hand on my head and pats it a few times. Mr. Hero laughs as he says, “Kihyun didn’t message you at all. I responded to your texts.”

He leans farther down and is close enough to feel his faint breath on my cheeks. “My name is Hoseok. And you are?”