His Eyes

Use Your Words

I step onto the jetway and walk through the tunnel with my suitcase in hand. I adjust my backpack with my other hand and look through the glass of the walkway. At the age of 23, this is the first time I’m stepping foot on Asian land, although it has been my dream for many years to visit South Korea.

Yeah, I know, who doesn’t want to visit Seoul when the music industry is expanding this quickly.

I, however, came with a different goal in mind. I accepted a job offer in a local elementary school to teach English to children. I was given the option to stay for two months to test the waters, and decide if I wanted to stay permanently or return to America at the end of the period. I rented an apartment near a local Starbucks and convenience store to make sure I would get the coffee and ramen noodles I know I’m going to live off of.

I step into the airport building and read the signs directing me to baggage claim. I had the “one luggage free” option when I checked in for the flight and threw my duffel bag onto the conveyor belt to lighten my load. Now, I was going to have to balance it on top of my suitcase so I could look up directions with my right hand.

Easier said than done, right.

I lift the heavy bag from the moving belt before it disappears for another lap and try to move around the people that crowded around me. Once free from elbows, I try to balance the bag on my suitcase without accidentally hitting someone. Kind of lopsided, I decide it will probably balance itself once I start walking, so I look at the signs above me for arrows pointing to an exit. It’s already ten at night because of the time zone difference and I have no desire to be left with no ride home. I start walking towards the exit with my phone in hand, ready to tell the taxi driver my new address as someone rudely bumps into me from the side. My phone goes skidding across the floor as I fall onto my bottom. My barely-balanced bag decides to add to the mess and fall, bringing my suitcase with it. I turn to glare at whoever bumped into me, only to see a huge crowd of girls with professional cameras.

I scan for my phone and see someone farther bend over to pick it up. I trail my eyes from his hand to his face, where a black mask and hat cover most of his features. He looks for the owner of the phone within the crowd, only to see camera lens reflecting back at him. One of his friends (or brothers?) nudges him and points in my direction. Still sitting on the floor, my eyes follow him as he quickly walks over to me with wide eyes. One hand carrying a Louis Vuitton bag, the other holding my (most likely cracked) iPhone, he bends to my eye level with a worried expression. The girls had parted to make his path clear, but they now surround the both of us and continue to take pictures.

“Are you okay?” He asks in an accented English. I nod as I try to stand. The man places his bag on the floor and reaches out to pull me up by my hand. His large hand literally engulfs my small hand, making me feel momentarily like a child. He pulls me off of the floor with ease and offers my phone back to me.

“Thank you.” I say with a smile in Korean. He laughs and rubs his neck shyly.

“You speak Korean?” He asks in his own language. He reaches to grab my duffel bag and places it on top of my suitcase. I stare as he balances it perfectly. “Ah, this? We travel a lot.” He adds with another smile. Oh how I wish he wasn’t wearing a mask right now. His eyes crinkle at the corners, my only clue to his hidden expression.

“Thank you.” I say again, although more quietly. The girls taking pictures are starting to make me anxious because of the glares in between shutter snaps. I grab my suitcase handle from the stranger and keep my gaze down as I adjust my backpack straps. I can feel his gaze on the top of my head as I check my phone for any cracks. Surprisingly, only the case got a couple of scratches. Thank goodness for drop-proof cases.

As the man bends to pick up his bag from the floor, he brings his face closer to my ear and whispers, “I’m sorry.” 

I catch his eyes before he turns away and joins his waiting company, and see the sadness and regret that pooled in those dark chocolate orbs.

I turn towards the exit once again and hail a waiting cab. Once the driver sets off to my destination, I think back on the encounter I had with the odd man. I guess he was famous? Maybe he was one of the actors in romantic dramas.

Yep, Seoul is definitely an interesting city.