part 1

Begin Again (2018.01.08)

The first time Woohyun met Kim Sunggyu was on 8th January 2013. Woohyun was arguing with his father when the idol suddenly slammed the door opened and stalked inside with fire in his eyes. Woohyun was mesmerised as he stood in the corner of his father's office, watching Sunggyu telling his father to go rot in hell.

 

He was an avenging angel on the path of destruction and the then twenty-three years old Nam Woohyun fell in love at the first sight.

 

"I'm not continuing my contract with your company! I'm done myself to the public's eyes!" Sunggyu slammed the contract down on the CEO's table, causing Woohyun to jump in surprise.

 

"Do you think you could get where you are today without me, Kim Sunggyu? You owe me everything," Woohyun's father hissed, glaring at the idol.

 

"I've done everything you asked me to! Yet you never protect my privacy! You let them aired the video of me changing without my knowledge! I was literally molested by the production team and yet you still did nothing!" 

 

Woohyun made a mental note to search for the video later and felt a momentary feeling of being a peeping tom.

 

"How long you've been in the industry, Sunggyu? You should have known better." The CEO smirked and leaned back in his chair, steepling his fingers in front of him.

 

"Long enough to know that you're a horrible, horrible man, CEO Nam. That's why I'm doing this," Sunggyu spat out. Woohyun watched with his mouth opened as the small-eyed idol ripped his new contract to pieces and threw it into the air.

 

Sunggyu turned his back to his ex-CEO and made eye contact with the frozen Woohyun for the first time. The younger felt his heart skipped a beat as the brunette looked straight into his eyes, as if he could see Woohyun's soul and judged him.

 

"If you know what's best for you, you won't tie your life to this blood company," Sunggyu sneered, saying it out loud enough so the CEO could hear him. Sunggyu apparently thought Woohyun was a trainee there so the younger just nodded absentmindedly.

 

"The moment you stepped out of the door, Kim Sunggyu, I swear I will ruin you! I'll make sure you will never work in this industry ever again!" Woohyun's father stood up, slapping his hands on the table but the idol just looked at his old employer over his shoulder.

 

"Do your best, old man."

 

Woohyun almost followed Sunggyu out, his feet moving unconsciously as if he was tied to the elder. Only his father's words stopped him on his way.

 

"Ungrateful bastard! And where do you think you're going, Nam Woohyun?!"

 

Woohyun flinched when he saw his father was staring at him, pieces of Sunggyu's contract littering his desk. 

 

"Is that what you want to be? A washed out idol like Kim Sunggyu?!"

 

"He isn't a washed out idol..." Woohyun mumbled.

 

"He is a conceited brat, thinking he could survive in this cutting throat industry without me. We'll see how long he could sing without NWH Entertainment backing him. Talent isn't everything, Woohyun."

 

"Is that why you whored him out?"

 

Woohyun felt the harsh sting of his father's hand on his cheek and knew he would have a bruise tomorrow.

 

"Don't you dare talk to me like that. You are not going to become a trainee here, you will go to London and get your master in business management or I'll disown you, Nam Woohyun," the CEO threatened.

 

Woohyun gulped and bowed his head low. He knew this would happen but he just had to try. Singing was his passion and he had always dreamed of becoming an idol. However, apparently being an idol was below the standard of the son of an entertainment company CEO.

 

"As you wish, dad."

 

The next four years was hell on earth for Woohyun. He threw himself into his study, determined to finish it earlier that he was supposed to. He needed to go back to South Korea as soon as possible as his heart was yearning for his avenging angel.

 

Woohyun stopped listening to music entirely and avoided any entertainment news from his homeland. He knew it deep in his heart that if he heard Sunggyu's voice or even his name, he would take the first flight back, his post-graduate study can go to hell.

 

So Woohyun buried Kim Sunggyu's name in the darkest corner of his mind, promising to himself that he would go back to the elder one day. He won't stop at anything to make the idol his.

 

He swore on his name.

 

Four years later, Woohyun took the earliest flight he could get after he finished his last exam without telling anyone except his roommates. Sungjong and Sungyeol wished him luck sarcastically, calling him mad for holding onto love at first sight for four years.

 

Kim Sunggyu probably didn't even remembered him.

 

They were right. 

 

When Woohyun met Kim Sunggyu for the second time on 8th January 2017, he was nothing like the idol Woohyun remembered him as. This Kim Sunggyu was more jaded, his face stuck in a constant frown and his eyes were full of pain and tiredness.

 

This Kim Sunggyu was one step away from losing hope.

 

Woohyun watched his one true love walked dejectedly into a small building, ensconced safely in his rented car. He had accidentally seen the idol at a cafe and had followed him without thinking. Woohyun didn't plan to meet him this soon.

 

"Moollim Entertainment," Woohyun read the monument sign on the building, tilting his head slightly. The M was hanging off dangerously and it could have been Woollim, Woohyun would never know.

 

Because at the moment when Sunggyu passed under it, the letter M finally gave up on hanging on and fell directly over him. 

 

Woohyun didn't remember opening the car door or dashing across the small car park to push Sunggyu out of the way. He only remembered the searing pain as his ankle was crush under the sign. 

 

Woohyun groaned and opened his eyes that he didn't remembered closing. Perhaps he had died and went to heaven because laying underneath him was Kim Sunggyu himself, his eyes wide opened in fear and shock.

 

"Are you okay?!" 

 

Woohyun sighed happily at the melodious voice, it was as beautiful as he remembered. "I've fallen in love with you," Woohyun declared, gazing fondly into the elder's small eyes.

 

Sunggyu's face darkened and he pushed Woohyun off him harshly, making the younger groaned in pain as his ankle twisted under the sign.

 

"Obviously you're okay if you can make such joke. Thank you for saving me," Sunggyu glowered without looking at Woohyun, his eyes trained on the broken sign on the ground.

 

Woohyun wanted to rebuke the elder but he was busy gritting his teeth to ride out the pain.

 

"Sunggyu hyung, what happened?!" 

 

Woohyun looked up when he heard the voice and saw two more people coming out of the company. He knew the speaker, Sungyeol had hundred of his photos tacked creepily in his bedroom until Woohyun couldn't remember what was the actual colour of Sungyeol's wall. Kim Myungsoo, the handsome and talented rookie actor, also Kim Sunggyu's younger brother.

 

"Ah, the W finally falls off," the other male said sadly, crouching down. Woohyun didn't know him but he looked friendly enough despite his pink hair and excessive accessories.

 

"It's a W?" Of all the things Woohyun could have said, he asked the stupidest question he could think of.

 

"Of course it is! We are Woollim Entertainment!" The pink haired man answered brightly, attracting the attention of the two whispering brothers.

 

"Why are you still laying on the ground, ert?"

 

Woohyun glared at the brunette and pointed at his ankle, still under the remnants of the M...W, whatever, it was in pieces now. "A little help."

 

It was the pink haired man who helped Woohyun to get out from the rubble while Sunggyu watched from a safe distance. Woohyun couldn't stand on his left foot and almost crashed onto the ground if not for the pink haired man holding onto him.

 

"That looks bad. We should get you to the hospital," Myungsoo suggested, hiding slightly behind his brother.

 

Woohyun paled and shook his head vehemently. "I'm okay. It probably just  sprained." He couldn't go to the hospital. Or anywhere that needed to use his name. His father would be informed and then all his plans would go up in flame.

 

"You can't even stand on your own. Stop acting tough," Sunggyu scoffed and crossed his arms. Woohyun thought he looked cute when he was angry. He was probably scared earlier and now he was just worried about Woohyun.

 

"Just hearing your voice is making me better. See..." Woohyun let go of the pink-haired man's arm and almost toppled over if not for Sunggyu catching him. Woohyun sniffed the elder's scent and sighed happily. "You smell so good."

 

Sunggyu blushed and pushed Woohyun away, sending him straight onto the floor. "Stop being disgusting, ert!"

 

A sharp pain shot up through his right ankle and he just laid down on the ground, totally incapacitated. Because of Kim Sunggyu, now both of his ankles were hurt, Woohyun didn't know whether to get mad or what. 

 

It took both Myungsoo and the other male to help him into the company, Sunggyu refusing to stand anywhere near Woohyun. They helped him into the closest room and sat him on a chair as the pink haired man or Dongwoo as he told Woohyun, checked on the younger's feet. 

 

Dongwoo turned out to be a paramedic and part-time dance instructor for Woollim Entertainment. He also had two cats and a goldfish and wanted a son and a daughter. Woohyun didn't know why Dongwoo told him that but judging from the looks on Sunggyu's and Myungsoo's face, this was a normal occurrence.

 

"You are right. They're both sprained," Dongwoo chatted merrily as he wrapped Woohyun's right ankle with a bandage, a bag of ice on the left one to lessen the pain.

 

"Do you have anyone that could drive you home? You can't drive like this." Myungsoo crouched down next to Dongwoo and removed the bag of ice.

 

"No! I-I ran away from home. Because..." Woohyun saw the audition banner on the wall and a plan formed in his mind. "Because I want to be an idol! I'm here for the audition!"

 

Sunggyu snorted and leaned back against the table, crossing his legs at the ankle. "Well, you are too late. The audition was yesterday."

 

Woohyun's face fell at that. He was too late, the story of his life.

 

"Hyung..." Myungsoo called his brother timidly and Sunggyu frowned before shaking his head slightly.

 

"Just let him try, hyung. Aren't you are the one who whined that there was no one talented enough yesterday?" Dongwoo insisted, his hand patted Woohyun's ankle softly after he finished bandaging them.

 

"Fine! I warn you that I'm going to be strict. Just because you saved me earlier, I won't let you passed that easily." Sunggyu walked around the table to sit on the chair, Myungsoo and Dongwoo flanking him.

 

Dongwoo the camera and nodded at Woohyun. "You can start now. Introduce yourself."

 

"I'm Nam Woohyun, twenty seven years old..."

 

"A bit too old to be an idol," Sunggyu interjected.

 

"Sorry that I was born too early then," Woohyun snapped back and they were locked in a glaring contest before Myungsoo faked a cough to get their attention.

 

"Please continue, Woohyun-shi."

 

"I'm twenty seven years old..." Woohyun stresses out the age, glaring at the love of his life before continuing. "I'm from Seoul..."

 

"So why didn't you come here yesterday?" Sunggyu cut in again and if Woohyun could stand on his own feet, he would have kicked the elder. Who cared that Woohyun had loved him for four years, he was so annoying.

 

"Because I couldn't get away until today," Woohyun gritted his teeth.

 

"What kind of twenty seven years old male still living with his parents?"

 

"Is this an audition to be an idol or a marriage interview? I would be willing to answer all your question if you agree to date me." Woohyun threw out a heart for good measure and Sunggyu looked like he was on the verge of getting a heart attack.

 

"You ert!"

 

Dongwoo snickered and even Myungsoo cracked a small smile. Woohyun considered that as a success. 

 

"Only for you, baby," Woohyun ended that with a wink. 

 

"That's it! I'm not going to sit here and listened to this...this brat making fun of me!" Sunggyu stood up angrily but his brother grabbed his wrist and pulled him back down.

 

"I'm not making fun of you, I'm flirting with you," Woohyun corrected him brightly. Looking at the sudden flush on the elder's face, Woohyun felt like he had fallen for Sunggyu all over again.

 

"It's the same thing!" 

 

The room fell into an awkward silence at Sunggyu's shout and Woohyun gaped at the information. He knew that Sunggyu was scandal-free during his entire career but he thought that the idol was simply good at hiding his relationships from the public. He didn't expect that there was no relationship to hide on the first place.

 

Dongwoo raised his hand like he was in class and broke the silence. "If you two are done flirting, can we continue with the audition? My shift is going to start in two hours."

 

Sunggyu huffed but he waved his hand to signal Woohyun to continue. He breathed out a long sigh, trying to calm himself down. It had been four years since he sang anything, he couldn't be sure that he still remembered how.

 

"Wherever you go, wherever you are

I miss you, I can't stand it

Please come back to me, to me

Please come back to me, to me."

 

Apparently singing was like riding a bicycle, you could never forget how to do it. Although Woohyun really wasn't expecting the standing ovation from Myungsoo and Dongwoo.

 

"Did you ever trained under NWH Entertainment?" Sunggyu's voice was low but Woohyun could hear him clearly. He almost choked on his own saliva as he floundered for an answer.

 

"No! No, why do you ask?" Woohyun lied. He didn't think that sneaking into vocal practice once a week without his father's knowledge was considered as training.

 

"Ah! You sang like Sunggyu hyung!" Myungsoo clapped when he realised why Woohyun's style was so familiar.

 

Woohyun gulped and looked anywhere else but the idol. "O-of course I did! He's my role model," Woohyun bluffed. He was already lying, a little more won't hurt anyone.

 

"Well..." Sunggyu stood up and picked up his file, not looking at Woohyun at all. "I'm sorry to say that you didn't make- Oomph!" 

 

Sunggyu was cut off by Myungsoo's hand on his mouth and Dongwoo was holding both his hands behind him.

 

"Congratulations, Woohyun-shi! Welcome to Woollim Entertainment!," Myungsoo laughed and offered his free hand for a handshake. "Oh! I forgot that you can't walk." 

 

"It's okay, Myungsoo-shi." Woohyun chuckled. "But are you sure I'm accepted? Sunggyu-shi..." Woohyun looked pointedly at the raging idol. Sunggyu was trying to pry his brother's hand from his mouth and stomping on Dongwoo's feet.

 

"My brother is just the CEO. He has no power."

 

"Yah! Kim Myungsoo!" Sunggyu had manage to get Myungsoo's hand off his face and now was trying to strangle the younger while Dongwoo laughed hysterically on the floor.

 

"If you say so..."

 

"I'll give your schedule tomorrow."

 

Woohyun almost jumped off the chair when Dongwoo suddenly crawled out from under the table with a wide grin. He nodded in acknowledgement before something came into his mind. "Can someone send me to the dorm then?"

 

Woohyun had a bad feeling about joining Woollim Entertainment when Myungsoo and Dongwoo looked at the CEO accusingly while Sunggyu tried to avoid everyone's eyes.

 

"Is there a problem?"

 

Sunggyu smirked and buttoned his jacket, smoothing it over his body. "We don't provide accommodation for our trainees. If that's a problem for you, then maybe you shouldn't sign..."

 

"Not so fast.. I'm sure we can compromise on something," Myungsoo said.

 

"Yeah, Sunggyu hyung. Didn't you say you're feeling lonely living alone? Why don't Woohyunnie stays with you then?"

 

Woohyun brightened at Dongwoo's words. "That's perfect!"

 

"No, it's not! He's a ert!" Sunggyu scowled, pointing at Woohyun.

 

"I'm not a ert! I'm just in love with you!"

 

"See! Did you heard what he said?!" Sunggyu whined, clutching onto a laughing Dongwoo.

 

"Oh hyung. He's just in love with you," Dongwoo placated his boss, patting the elder's shoulder. Woohyun meanwhile felt someone's glare on him and looked at the source.

 

"Hyung, it would be fine. You don't want someone as talented as him to be stolen by NWH Entertainment, don't you?" Myungsoo said that to his brother but his eyes were on Woohyun.

 

Sunggyu froze and turned slowly to Woohyun, hissing, "Not on my watch." The fire in the CEO's eyes sent a wave of arousal over Woohyun and he covered his crotch with his hands.

 

"Where are you staying? Let's go grab your things and moved them to my house."

 

"I-In my car. But that car is rented so I need someone to send it back," Woohyun stammered, trying to calm down.

 

"I'll do it! It's on my way to the hospital!" Dongwoo chirped in, wrapping his arm over Sunggyu's shoulder and pulling him to the car park.

 

"What is your intention?"

 

Woohyun belatedly realised that he was left alone with Myungsoo when he heard the voice. The younger had been glaring at him since he said he was in love with Sunggyu.

 

"I want to be an idol, of course," Woohyun answered, keeping eye contact to convince Sunggyu's brother of his sincerity.

 

"Why here? Why not at your father's company?"

 

Woohyun blanched at the question. "How did you know?"

 

"Lee Sungyeol is my boyfriend," Myungsoo stated with a blank face. Woohyun gaped, torn between amusement and rage at his tall friend. Sungyeol had known that he was in love with Sunggyu for years and didn't bother telling him the he was dating the younger brother.

 

"Did you know that he has your photos all over his walls?"

 

"I know. I'm the one who sent them after all. But you haven't answer my question."

 

Woohyun sighed and looked away, fiddling with his fingers. "Because I love him."

 

Myungsoo's blank face spread into a wide smile. "I know. Sungyeol told me."

 

"Gosh! Did he tells you everything?!" Woohyun snapped, blushing to the core.

 

"If you're referring to the tattoo of my brother's birthdate behind your ear..."

 

Woohyun gasped and covered his left ear. "He didn't..."

 

Myungsoo smirked, looking a lot like his older brother that Woohyun wanted to punch him on the face. "Well, please take care of my brother, then." He walked out of the room but stopped suddenly and turned to Woohyun. "You might not want to tell him about your father though..."

 

Woohyun's interest perked up at that. "What happened while I was away?"

 

"Let's just say that your father kept his promise." Myungsoo left him alone with that cryptic answer and Woohyun was dying of curiosity. He wanted to know what had happened but Sunggyu came back with a scowl and dragged him to his car.

 

Sunggyu had dropped him on the couch with a firm "Stay there." as soon as they arrived at the elder's house. While Sunggyu went back to the car for Woohyun's luggage, he took the chance to look around the house.

 

It was a standard bachelor house, wide enough for two person to live together comfortably. Woohyun expected to see Sunggyu's albums on the shelves but he was confused to see musical scripts on them. 

 

"That's weird..." Woohyun was deep in thought when Sunggyu came back with his luggage and went straight to a bedroom. He helped Woohyun into the room roughly, as if he didn't want to touch the younger more than necessary.

 

"This is your room. My room is off-limit and I'll kick you out of here if I found out you go in there." Sunggyu looked at Woohyun's feet and sighed. "I go to work at 7 am so make sure you're ready to go by then."

 

Sunggyu was about to leave when Woohyun called him back. "What about meals?"

 

"I think you're old enough to order deliveries," Sunggyu said with a frown.

 

"That's unhealthy and I don't like eating alone. After all, I'm here to cure your loneliness." Woohyun shot some love arrows just to annoy his new employer.

 

"I am not lonely! I'd rather starve than eat with you!" 

 

Woohyun laughed when Sunggyu slammed the door to his bedroom louder, grumbling about the things he does for a mere trainee. The said trainee would have felt more hurt if he didn't see the slight blush on Sunggyu's cheeks.

 

Woohyun futilely tried to unpack his clothes without moving his sprained ankles too much and ended up causing a ruckus loud enough that Sunggyu came running into his room. The elder scowled and began putting Woohyun's clothes away without a word. The younger blushed when Sunggyu stared at his collection of mesh boxers and raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

 

"What? I like them!" Woohyun snapped, trying to hide his embarrassment.

 

Sunggyu smirked and carefully put them into the drawer. "I'm sure they're pretty...airy."

 

Woohyun wanted to strangle him with those mesh boxer.

 

"What's for dinner?" Woohyun asked, changing the topic before the love of his life more.

 

"I'm planning to order chicken and beer."

 

"What? Hyung, cook for me..." Woohyun whined, tugging on Sunggyu's arm.

 

"I told you to order your own food. And who are you calling hyung?!" Sunggyu huffed, pulling his arm away.

 

Woohyun pouted and pointed at his ankles. "Injured trainee here. I got hurt because of you so you should at least cook me something, hyung," he purposely drawled out the hyung and enjoyed how Sunggyu's ears turned pink.

 

"I can't cook," Sunggyu gritted out, crossing his arms.

 

"Eeeey, don't lie! You're a single man in his thirty, you should be able to cook something or you would have starved a long time ago."

 

"I'm just twenty-nine!" Sunggyu yelled out indignantly but the younger just ignored him.

 

"Or I could teach you how to cook. I would do it on my own but I can't stand now. Hyung, help me move to the kitchen." Woohyun lifted both his arms up so Sunggyu could pick him up. He smiled slyly when Sunggyu did it even when he mumbled something that sounded like 'high-maintenance trainee'.

 

For the next hour, Sunggyu was Woohyun's personal slave. He followed the younger's order with maximum complaints, especially when Woohyun sent him running to the convenience store when they realised there was only water and beer in Sunggyu's fridge.

 

Woohyun watched the elder ate like he had been starving for months, stuffing his mouth full with food. It was pretty disgusting view what was with the way Sunggyu was slurping his soup noisily. For someone who was raised with impeccable table manner, watching Sunggyu ate was a torture.

 

Woohyun wondered why was he was in love with this man.

 

"Are you going to eat or not?" Sunggyu asked suddenly, his chopsticks poised over the last chicken.

 

"When did you ate... Yah! That's mine!" Woohyun tried to grab the chicken but Sunggyu glared at him with fire in his eyes, the same fire he had when he ripped off his contract to NWH Entertainment.

 

Woohyun was frozen in surprise and just watched dumbly as Sunggyu chewed his chicken happily. The CEO was apparently as passionate about eating as his singing.

 

"Here, have some pickled radish."

 

Woohyun really hated Kim Sunggyu for that.