Second Chances

Neverland Outtakes


Youngbin leaned back on his seat, looking at the Eiffel Tower through a haze of rain. It's been so long since he actually had time for himself - focusing on the business and on building his relationship with Chani and his father for the last 2 years had been fun but exhausting and he was lucky to have this little escapade to himself.

“It’s been a while, Youngbin-ssi”

The voice made him freeze. It's been 2 years since he last heard that voice - since he last saw him. A thousand memories flitted through his head but he stopped himself.

“Dawon-ah," he murmured looking at the person who took the seat beside him.

The last time Youngbin saw the guy, he was in bed, covered in bruises and wrapped in a thousand secrets. This time, Dawon’s face is a bit softer, his eyes more open and that small smile playing on his lips a lot more sincere.

“It’s been a while,” Youngbin repeated still not taking his eyes off Dawon. The other guy turned to look at him and they held each other's gaze. There was regret and bitterness, anger and happiness and above all, there is something akin to hope.

That is, until Dawon broke the moment and stared pointedly at the tower looming over the city.

“How are you?” Youngbin asked.

“Good. I’m pretty good. And you?”

Youngbin shrugged. “Fine, i guess. A bit busy,"

Dawon smiled, "So you still ended up following your father."

Youngbin glared at him but chose not to comment on the statement.

"How's Chani, by the way?" Dawon asked.

"He's studying and training in one of our companies," Youngbin replied.

"Ah, yes, New York, was it not? Or did he move back to Singapore?"

Youngbin shook his head. "You’re still the same," He sighed then stood up. "Well, it was nice meeting you again, Dawon-ssi and please, stay away from me and from my family,"

 

Youngbin started to walk away but Dawon shot up from his seat and grabbed Youngbin's wrist. Youngbin stopped in his tracks but didn't look back.

"I- uh - I'm sorry, Youngbin - for everything," Dawon said as he loosened his grip on Youngbin. "I'm really sorry," Dawon repeated softly.

Youngbin knew he could just walk away – just like he did two years ago. But maybe it was the quiet desperation in Dawon’s voice or the sincerity of his words that made Youngbin look back.

Dawon looked like a little boy lost in a big city, his head bowed, shoulders stooped and hands inside his coat pockets.

Many times, he had thought of what he would do if he ever saw Dawon again and now that he did, Youngbin didn’t know exactly what to do. Still, he walked back towards Dawon.

“I don’t know if I can trust you again,” Youngbin said then stopped. He didn’t really know where he’s going with this.

“I know,” Dawon replied. “And to tell you the truth, I’m still part of some shady stuff,” he continued looking up at him.

Youngbin nodded a bit taken aback by what he said. “I guess, being honest with each other is a good start?”

Dawon smirked. “Being honest?” he paused. “Fine, I guess I can be honest with you… Or you know, as long as it involves you and your family?”

Youngbin debated with himself for a second; will he accept this friendship half of which is still shrouded in secrets or would he walk away and never see Dawon again?

Fine, he thought to himself. “I guess it’s a start,” Youngbin said.

Dawon smiled. “I’m hungry,” he said. “You know Paris has some of the best pastries, right?”

Youngbin rolled his eyes and walked away. There was a small café in the middle of the city that he was very fond of and their food are top notch.

Dawon fell into step beside him and they made their way towards the place in companionable silence. Rain started to fall once more but somehow, Paris in the rain seemed more magical than dreary.