ELF's Heart

ELF's Heart (One Shot story of ELF and Donghae)

You were walking to the parking lot where your boyfriend, Donghae, was waiting for you. On the way, you recall several fondest memories you have with him, from the time when he confessed that he liked you and you surprised him with a first kiss as a reply, to the time when he composed and sang a song on your birthday, to the time when you won in a photography challenge and Donghae pouted like a baby for the rest of the day, to the time when he hugged and twirled you on the beach because you bought him his ideal camera for his birthday, to the time when you broke down because you had your first fight with him...all these memories are crafted with emotions, yet they make your relationship with him a lot stronger and more profound than before. You know that he's hiding his tiredness and complaints away by greeting you with a smile. You know that he's trying hard to squeeze as many free slots in his schedule as possible so that he can spend time with you. You know that he's giving his all to make you happy. However, you want to tell him that you want to do the same for him. He keeps saying that he wants to protect you, but every time you tell that you want to protect him too, he shakes his head and says, "Don't mind me. You're much more important." This hurts you. When you're with him, you feel like the luckiest girl in the world, and you don't ever want to lose him. You want a fair share of happiness with him, and so you know that you have to make your feelings clear. 

       "Oppa!" you call out. You've found him standing a few feet from the parked black Cadillac. You immediately stop running just a few feet away from him, because you can feel your heart beating at the beautiful sight of your boyfriend. White beads cling to his soft, black hair, like pixie dust sprinkled from Tinkerbell to grant a wish. His flawless skin is no match for the snow. Not even Prince Charming can win against him for his angel-like face. His eyes are closed; making him look so immersed in the transquil setting. He breathes in the frosty air, letting the ambience of nature sink into his soul. Every time you look at him, your heart somersaults. Every time he looks into your eyes, you are instantly hypnotized. Even when he touches your face or hold your hand, you feel butterflies in your stomach. And you never get tired of this feeling. 

      "Oh! There you are!" his voice cuts you off from your train of thought. He looks at you with his lips curled into a gentle smile. "What's wrong? You look dazed." 

      "Oh...uh...I was just...well uh...I got here a little while ago and you were..." you stammer. 

      "Ah I'm sorry," he chuckles, "guess I was lost in thought too." You smile in return. As you walk to him, he opens his arms wide. You sigh in contentment as you sink into his embrace. His coat still smells fresh from the laundry you have done this morning. 

       "Donghae oppa." 

       "Hmm?" 

        You shifts your head a little to peek at the snow that is still falling. "You may find me crazy, but I see snow as a sign of protection to the earth." 

        "How so?" 

        You think for a moment on how to explain to him. You're often not good with words, but you want to say what's on your mind. While watching the snow, inspiration urges you to create, like a blank paper just waiting to be written on. Unknowingly, your voice becomes the pen. 

When snow buries land,

it's a blanket of white,

so pure and pretty. 

It acts as a barrier from concrete and soil,

which can scrape a child's knee.

It protects the sturdiness of nature,

even the child can crash onto the snow

and make a snow-angel as a mark of territory.

The frosted rain hugs the earth,

just like your countless embraces I always treasure. 

Just like snow, you protect me from falling apart. 

When I'm in your arms, all of my sorrow, pain and worries are lifted. 

When I'm in your arms, my heartbeat syncs with yours.

I feel warmth radiating inside of me. 

I have one wish in mind,

and that is to the same to you. 

I want to protect you from all the sorrow, pain and worries 

you're secretly hiding from me. 

I want to shed tears from you

not just from me. 

When you want to let it all out,

when you can't take things any longer,

when you think you're not needed in this world,

I want to be by your side,

and return the hugs you've given me. 

         These words flow out from your mouth like a waterfall. You're surprised that you've recited a poem out of the blue. You realize that Donghae's arms around you are now tighter, and that's when you hear sniffling. You look up to see tears welling from his eyes. "Oppa..." you whisper. You reach your fingers to wipe his tears away and cup his face. "You've showed me and given me your love many times, so let me do the same to you. That's what I've always wanted to tell you." 

          Donghae smiles despite the tears that are still rolling on his cheeks. He kisses you so sweetly that your heart skips a beat. "Thank you, my love, for telling me this. I'll remember that." 

          You're relieved to hear his answer that you know you have to kiss him back. "Whether we've known each other for a year or 5 years or even 12 years from now, I will still love you as long as we're together till the end of time." 

          "You took the words right out of my mouth." he giggles. He nuzzles your nose, which you find so adorable. You cushion your head onto his chest for a little longer. Both of you wouldn't want to let go of each other, because you don't want this moment to end. However, this will forever be etched in your memories, because you've finally tell him what you want to say, and you know that he will keep his word.