Meet

Progress

Yuto’s job as a technician was hard, but exciting.

He had had to bulk up rather quickly in the beginning weeks of his career, as lifting heavy equipment necessary for setting up lighting, was not easy and required a hefty amount of muscle and dedication.

Admittedly, when he’d first gotten into the dance business, he’d meant to join as a dancer or a choreographer. He never thought he would be working as a technician.

But, it wasn’t all bad.

There were a few good points. One, was that he had to take better care of his body and that provided him with an easy lifestyle by which doing simple, usually physically-tasking acts, were of no issue.

Second, his career gifted him with the rare blessing of paid traveling. He got to go to different places, different countries, see new things, see new people, and enjoy the scenery, and none of it came from his pocket. Not to say, he couldn’t pay for it, but Yuto preferred counting his blessings when they came rather than questioning them.

Third point, and probably most important one of all, the dancers.


 

Yuto’s job varied in different areas. Sometimes he was handling lighting in acting, other times he was doing modelling events, and then there were times he was handling dancing events.

Personally, Yuto loved the dancing events more than any of the others.

The reason behind that was a certain dancer, Kang Hyunggu, or as he preferred to be called, Kino.


 

Yuto’s first meeting with Kino had been a complete coincidence.

The morning of his first day off in weeks, Yuto had been woken up by his phone ringing by his ear. He woke up and groggily answered the call, shooting up straight when he heard his boss anxious voice.

Yuto listened intently to his boss’s request and agreed to coming in for the morning only. The lightning technician meant to be doing the job had been in an accident and couldn’t make it, and Yuto was the only worker they had on call.

Yuto, naturally, hearing how panicked his boss was, and the thought of the future guilt eating away at him if he refused, agreed and said he’d be there in twenty minutes. Hanging up, Yuto threw the covers back and got out of bed and into the shower. He took less than five minutes to shower and get dressed before grabbing a banana, apple and a scone and rushing to his car, turning on the engine and driving off to the CUBE studio.

Arriving at the studio, Yuto parked his car and jogged into the building, up the stairs to the fourth floor where he usually worked, and knocked on the door twice before opening the door and entering inside.

He greeted his fellow staff members and respectfully kept his head down and walked to where his boss was waiting for him, pacing back and forth, face drawn tight in apprehension.

“Yuto!” Hwitaek called out when his eyes landed on the tall male, eyes nearly filling with water and arms stretched out in a hug. “I’m so glad you could make it here.”

“Yes, of course, hyung.” Yuto said and tentatively tapped his boss’s back. “I said I would.”

Hwitaek laughed at Yuto’s straightforwardness and pulled back. “Well...yes, you did. I meant that you could make it in time before the shooting.”

“What kind of shooting are we doing, hyung?” Yuto moved past Hwitaek and went to change into more appropriate work clothes. “You didn’t mention it on the phone.”

“Ah, I didn’t? ” Hwitaek’s voice trailed off, and Yuto glanced behind him to see the older male on his phone, eyes moving back and forth frantically, searching for something on the device. “Its a photo shoot for some dancers. A new group has been formed and the big boss wants their photos out and circling the internet as soon as possible.”

“Ooh...” Yuto nodded in understanding and stood up and finished adjusting his jumpsuit. “I see. Then, when do we begin?”

“Right now.” Hwitaek began directing Yuto and the other staff workers to their respective places and also handled the make-up artists handling the dancers make-up, hair and outfit. Yuto and the others were ready and waiting ten minutes after the shoot began, and when they saw Hwitaek walk out of the changing rooms and signal them to turn on the lights, Yuto did so and the others followed behind, and the shoot began.

The dancers slowly filed out of the rooms and came up to the set, each dressed in different genre times. There were some dressed in throwback, going back as far as the 60′s, others in the hip-hop 90′s, others in the latest trend, and others passing the current trend and wearing futuristic outfits.

Yuto appraised the artists for their work and each dancer for pulling the look off, but suddenly stopped when his gaze landed on an adorable, short dancer dressed in ‘current time’ in a thick zip-up black hoodie, and an overcoat jacket, cherry and garnet in color. The hood was loosely worn over his head, and the exposed part of his carob-color was messily, yet stylishly done, making him look even cuter than he already was.

The outfit was completed by a pair of black pants, thinly ripped at the thigh, exposing milky white skin, and black shoes with a white lining, making the cool, hip outfit look classy in the most effortless way possible.

“Okay,” One of the photographers called out and directed them to stand in line with each other, four at the back and five at the front. “Let’s get started.” Some of the dancers were taller than the others, and were arranged in chronological order in the progress of height, starting from the shortest to the tallest, and that specific dancer was in the first half.

Yuto knew he was supposed to be doing his job, and he did -not as well as he could have been- but he did anyway and, all the while, he was completely and utterly smitten with the young dancer in red, who -Yuto found out when the photographers called for a break and one of the other dancers, Yeo One, called him- went by the name Kino.

He watched him change pose and expressions like it was nothing, like it didn’t matter, like it was so easy, as easy as it was for Yuto to inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide, and Yuto couldn’t help but fall for Kino further.

“Alright!” Hwitaek announced with a swift, loud clap after a handful of hours had passed, “That’s a wrap!”

The dancers all reflexively exhaled in relief and laughed at each other before turning to the staff and bowing deeply, thanking them for their hard work, and standing up tall.

And right then, just as Kino stood up tall, his eyes and Yuto’s met and Yuto felt his knees weaken. He nearly tumbled onto the floor when Kino gave him a wide smile, showing off a row of nearly perfect teeth, and Yuto knew he really should have stayed at home.