Chapter 3

Him, From Year X

 

The next morning, after telling them to all sleep in the living room because you were sure as hell weren’t going to let them sleep in the clean guest room, you almost thought that it was just all a dream. Your alarm woke you up, as usual. You were glad it was the weekend and that you didn’t have work until Tuesday.

Groaning, you pulled yourself out of bed and shuffled to your bathroom, where you collided into a hard chest.

“What the—” you grumbled, rubbing your nose. You looked up at the source of your pain and found Mingyu standing there awkwardly.

“What now?” you yawned, pushing him aside as you entered your bathroom. He followed you closely behind, almost like a puppy.

“Um, listen—” he tried. Half-way about to shut the door on him, you looked at him, squinting sleepily.

“Yeah?”

He muttered something under his breath, fiddling with his thumbs uncertainly. You strained your ears to listen, but didn’t quite catch what he was about to say.

“Sorry, what now?”

“Where do we use the toilet?” he cleared his throat, asking loudly. “Joshua said I couldn’t go out without your permission, so—” he blabbered, embarrassed that he had to ask a lady about where to use the restroom. You looked at him, dazed for a moment before shaking your head.

“Should’ve known you guys don’t know how to use toilets,” you sighed, opening the door again, this time brushing past him. When you entered your living, you saw that all the men were up and ready, though looking slightly wary.

“Okay, good,” you muttered, “you’re all up. Everyone follow me.”

They exchanged cautious looks before following you into the hallway, where they crowded around the bathroom. Looking at their cautious, yet curious faces, you had to stifle a laugh before you explained everything in the bathroom to them one by one, including how to use the toilet, how to work the shower, how to use soaps and wash their hands, considering hygiene wasn’t all that great in the past, and how to brush their teeth using the sink.

“—and that’s it. I’ll have to go out to get toothbrushes for you guys, but first…” you trailed off, looking at their hair and their clothes.

“Good lord…” you grumbled. “The money I’ll have to spend on these boys…”

“Money?” Seungkwan perked up. “If you’re worried about money, we have some!” Seungkwan clapped, reaching into his clothes and pulling out a heavy looking bag.

“Oh, I have some too,” Jun smiled, politely handing you his bag.

You took it carefully, skeptical. When you opened the bag, you found pieces and coins of brass, silver, and gold. Your eyes widened in disbelief.

“How did you…?” you asked confused.

“The king likes to award us graciously for our services,” Vernon answered, seeing your confusion.

“Whoa…” you blinked, marveling at the legitimacy of the coins. They watched you silently as you were awed over what they considered “pocket money.”

“With this, we can go shopping!” you exclaimed, grinning. “You guys don’t have to look like hobos!”

“Hobos?” Dino asked, his mouth pulled into a frown.

“Another word for peasant,” Wonwoo cut in, translating. He smiled at his accomplishment.

“As expected of our scholar!” Jeonghan clapped Wonwoo on the shoulder, happily.

“You’re the one who was complaining about how annoying it was when he was reading out loud last night,” Dino muttered. Jeonghan shrugged.

“He didn’t have to try to pronounce every word… But, good thing he picked up a few things from reading that boorish book.”

“What book?” you blinked.

“The ‘Dictionary’ or whatever. Jeonghan-hyung is right, it is dreadfully boring,” The8 sighed. You held back a snicker and decided against telling them what the book is actually used for, just for your own entertainment.

“Anyway, so what are you planning to buy?” S.Coups said, peering over at the bags of gold you had.

“It’s your money, so we’ll go shopping for the things you guys need. I’ll have to exchange these for cash first though…” you hummed in thought. You then looked at all their hair, grimacing.

“All of you, out on my terrace.”

 


 

“My hair!” Dino screeched loudly as you loudly snipped it.

“Quit moving or I’ll cut your ear off,” you half-jokingly said. He pouted, looking at his older friends for help.

“No way, you’re cutting our hair?! That’s a disgrace!” Dokyeom’s hands flew up to his head, as if it was going to shield you from doing anything vile to it.

“Do they not value hair in this time?” Jun frowned, his face calm, but his eyes worried about what was going to happen to him next.

“We do,” you answered, in a clipped one. “But we style it differently. Dino, I think I’m going to go for a young, charming neighborhood boy,” you addressed the youngest out of the thirteen.

“But…” he trailed off, meeting your eyes when you moved to cut his bangs. He nervously shifted.

“Quit moving!” you scolded him once again, hitting his arm.

“How can a lady act like this!” he cried, looking at his friends, yet once again, for help.

“Ah, Dino, Dino, Dino,” Jeonghan sighed, looking the most amused. “Only now do you come to your Hyung for help? When you can’t deal with the ladies?”

“Hyung!” Dino whined. “She’s not like the girls back home—it’s dangerous!”

“Sorry to burst your bubble, but it’s 20XX,” you muttered, making him scowl.

“See! She’s so sassy! She’s the female Seungkwan!”

“Tragic,” Seungkwan sighed, smirking.

“Hyung!”

“You ‘hyung’ one more time, I swear to god, you’re going to end up looking like a frog!” you sighed, trying to keep the nervous boy still. He bit his tongue and closed his mouth obediently.

“Well, he isn’t wrong. She is a bit sassy and different from most girls back home,” Mingyu shrugged, getting a relieved look from Dino.

Your eyes snapped to Mingyu’s, glaring at him.

“You’re next.”

He blanched.

“H-Hyung…” he muttered, clutching at S.Coups’s sleeve.

S.Coups sighed, “Here’s a life lesson: never compare a woman to another in her presence.”

Jeonghan rolled his eyes, looking at the way you bit your lip in annoyance and the way you held the scissors in your hand.

“Or ever, in this case.”