Episode Two

The Sly Performing Arts Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode Two

Irene Bae

-two years later-

 

When I woke up, I was greeted by the gloomy weather outside.

Some used clothes were all thrown at a basket near my cabinet. My books were an organized mess in my study table. My room was over all neat, perfect to be seen in a bright weather.

It didn’t matter.

A smile went up to my lips as I saw the peaceful sound of the raindrops falling in my roof. The chills coming from the cold atmosphere were running up my spine.

It was weird, having such a good mood despite the unpleasant weather. However, it was only during these moments that I get to be a little crazy, a little bit happier inside.

And so, I started the day quite ordinarily. Not exactly…

Unlike my usual mundane routines, I had some mushroom soup instead of my usual toast and eggs. I watched the morning news, despite the fact that I was not listening what the anchor has to say. Above all, I made a call with the most gleeful tone I’ve had.

I was unusually happier, brighter… totally different from the weather.

“Wow, someone seems excited today! You had your breakfast already?” The voice on the other line said. It was equally as cheery, but not as expressive as I expected, as I wished.

“Of course. You?”

 I heard a chuckle on the other line.

“Of course not. I’m too lazy for breakfast. Speaking of which, why’d you call so early? Missed me already?”

She got that one right. I can even feel her smirk, making me want to rub it off her.

“Of course not.” I muttered, copying her tone. “Let’s meet up by the park. I’ll bring you breakfast.”

“REALLY?!” Now that was the expression I was hoping for. I inwardly laughed and nodded my head, even if she can’t see it.

“Yeah. See you in an hour? And make sure you bring your umbrella, okay? I don’t want to see you like a wet chick during the rain again.” I laughed at the short recollection. The woman on the other line groaned.

“Don’t remind me of that, Irene unnieeee~”

“Yeah, but know how adorable you looked back then. Hahahaha! Anyway, I’ll hang up now and prepare. Bye?”

“Bye, unnie…”

“Aren’t you saying something to me?”

I heard her sigh on the other line.

“I love you, Irene unnieeeeee…. How about mine?”

“Jeez, so impatient. Love you too, jackass!”

“Yah--!!!”

When I hung up, the always gloomy room in a bright sunny day seems livelier, warmer now even when the temperature dropped down to ten. Maybe I was really a weird one. Rainy days are only the moments I was genuinely happy.

 

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The constant drumming of the raindrops hitting the roof somehow calms my heart. No one was around. The very same park two years ago didn’t change much. The variety of flowers, the puddles in the ground… then I stared up in the dark grey sky. When I was little, it felt like the sky was closer, nearer that I could touch it. Maybe that’s why I like the rain. It seems like I can feel the sky coming. It makes me feel like I’m closer to the people who left me, who are now somewhere in heaven… probably looking after me.

I heard her footsteps coming.

There she was, with her usual black rain jacket and warm smiles. I felt something tugging in my heart but I tried to hide it away. Instead, I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter