Chapter 3

Bully’s sweetest torture
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Umji sat back against the plush pillows that were propped up against her headboard. Dressed in her nightgown for the evening, she was heavily engrossed in her latest novel. Her cell phone suddenly rang, breaking the silence. 

 

The brunette quickly placed a bookmark between the pages and picked up her phone from the nightstand. Reading the number, her hopes plummeted. She knew what this call meant. 

 

She took a breath and answered.  

 


"Hello, mother."  

 


"Hello, darling. I am dreadfully sorry for calling you in such a late hour. Were you about to retire for the night?"  

 


"Not quite. I was just catching up on some reading." 

 


 "That's my Umji; always with her nose in a book. Anyway, the reason I'm calling is..."  

 


"You're cancelling our breakfast date," Umji unhappily interrupted.  Constance sighed. "I'm terribly sorry, darling. I promise I will make it up to you. I have to catch a flight out to Paris this evening. I could not cancel such urgent business."  But she could cancel me. 

 

"Of course, mother. I understand," the brunette replied, attempting to hold off the blanket of loneliness that was enveloping her. 

 

"How long will you be gone?"  

 


"Perhaps a week. Hopefully, less than that. And when I return, I assure you we will have that breakfast."  Umji smiled sadly. 

 


"Sure, mother."  

 


"Thank you for understanding, Umji. Now, I must go. We'll chat soon, alright?" 

 

 "Yes, of course." 

 


 "Adios, darling." 

 


 "Adios."  

 

After hanging up, Umji was no longer in the mood to read. She set her book aside before shutting off her bedside light. Curling herself under the covers, she tried to hold back her tears. 

 


Constance often broke promises with her and she was used to it, but that did not mean the disappointment hurt any less. 

 


Her thoughts then went to the Choi family. Mrs. Choi was a stay at home mother. How wonderful it must be to have that much attention and love 24-hours a day. 

 


Umji was sure Yuju and her brothers never felt neglected. 

 


Yuju and her brothers... a smile spread across Umji's lips. The football game. Yuno had invited her to come watch them play tomorrow morning. She was not to be expected and that would totally throw Yuju off. 

 

 

With a small smile still playing on her lips, Umji closed her eyes and let sleep overtake her. 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 Umji looked at herself in the mirror one last time before heading out. 

 

 

She wore a simple sun dress, her hair was down with perfect curls and she wore just a tad bit of makeup. She glanced at the time on her cell phone and saw it was five minutes until 10am. 

 

 

That meant the Choi's have only been at the park for about a half hour now. Perfect. It was best to arrive fashionably late anyhow. 

 

 

Deciding not to bother her driver for the morning, Umji took her own car to the park. Her beautiful black Lexus. She rarely drove on her own per her mother's insistence. But her mother wasn't there and she jumped at the chance.  

 

 


She easily found a space in the parking lot and climbed out of the car. The park was fairly large but not many people were out. 

 


When she heard a bunch of shouting in the distance, Umji followed it and soon came across a large grass field. She instantly spotted Yuju running with the football in her hand as three other boys tried to catch her, but they were no match for Yuju's speed. The older girl moved with such natural grace and agility, instantly impressing Umji. 

 


Yuju soon reached the area they marked for a touchdown and spiked the ball down in victory.  "Yeah! it!" Yuju shouted loudly, pumping her fists in the air.  Umji could not help but smile as Yuju and her small team, including Yuan and Yuno, briefly celebrated. 

 


The brunette spotted a small set of bleachers facing the field and discreetly took a seat. She quietly continued to observe the game. 

 

Umji never did take the time to understand the concepts and rules of popular sports. Baseball, basketball, hockey... they just never held an interest for her. 

 


Now, fencing and ballet she understood, but people tackling each other on a field, not so much.  

 


She continued to watch with interest as the two teams huddled up in separate circles, talking for a short while until they broke apart and took positions on the field.  

 

 

As they all lined up in their set positions, Yuju happened to glance Umji's way. Yuju did a double take, as if she was making sure she wasn't seeing things.  "Hike!"  Umji smiled broadly and waved at Yuju.  

 

"Yuju!" Yuan shouted.  The hazel eyed girl whipped her head towards the source of her name, but before she could react, the sailing football struck her square on her nose. 

 

 

"Ohhh!" Yuju yelped, as she bent over, holding her nose.  Umji flinched at the contact as did the other players on the field.  

 

"! Yuju are you alright?!" Yuan yelled, running over to his sister.  Yuno was the first by his sister's side, placing a comforting hand on her back. 

 

"Damn, Yuju. You okay?"  With a hand still covering her nose, Yuju stood up straight and nodded. "Yeah, yeah. I'm okay."  

 


"Let me see," Yuan insisted, trying to move Yuju's hand away from her face.  Yuju tilted her head back some and removed her hand. 

 


Yuan cringed at the sight of blood running down his sister's nostrils. "Oh, no, you're bleedin'." 

 


 "Great..." Yuju grumbled. "Thanks a lot, Yuan."  

 


"How was I supposed to know you wouldn't catch it?! You're the receiver!" 

 


 "What were you looking at anyway?" Yuno asked, his eyes scanning the area. His gaze soon landed on Umji and his eyes widened in recognition.

 


 "Oh, Umji's here. I didn't think she could make it." 

 


 "Umji's here?" Yuan craned his neck to look towards the sidelines.  Yuju rolled her eyes at her brothers.  

 


"Did she throw off your concentration, Yuju?" Yuno teased.  

 


"Shut up!" She growled before stomping off the grassy field.  Yuno and Yuan followed her over to the water fountain and stood around her as she tended to her nose. 

 


Umji stood from her seat and walked over to them. She placed a gentle hand on each of Yuno and Yuan's shoulders, drawing their attention.  "I'll take it from here boys."  

 


"Oh, hey, Umji," Yuno said. "Did you see Yuan nail Yuju with the ball?" 

 


 "It was an accident," Yuan defended.

 


  "I'll take care of Yuju." Umji interrupted, before the boys got into an argument. "You guys go back to your game."  

 

"You sure?" Yuno asked.  


"Yes. I've got it handled."  

 

"Cool. Thanks, Umji," Yuan sheepishly replied, before following Yuno back to the field.  

 


Umji was left alone with Yuju, who was bent over the fountain, running water over her sore, bloody nose. The brunette turned her head to one side, observing Yuju with concern. 

 


"Are you okay?"  Yuju tiredly glanced at her, before lowering her head once more. 

 

 

"Yeah..." she grumbled. 

 


"No thanks to you."  Umji furrowed her eyebrows. 

 

"Excuse me?"  

 


"Awh," the older senior groaned in discomfort, accidentally applying too much pressure on her nose.

 


 "You distracted me..."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter