Prolouge.

Baby Breath

A cold wind hit her face, numbing her senses momentarily. She slipped her hands into the pockets of her coat, grasping for warmth from the heat packs. A huff of warm air escaped her glossed lips, forming a puff of smoke. She bit her lips, holding back an annoyed look against the cold weather. Her mom and her literally just moved into their new apartment in Seoul. Apparently, her mom misplaced a whole box of essentials, which included scissors, toilet rolls, their toothbrushes and more. So now, here she is... Out on a chilly November afternoon. 

 

"Jeia, please go to the mart a few streets down and purchase this list of items." The voice of her mom repeated in her head. She tightened her grip on the paper in one of her hands, feeling it getting a little crushed in her pocket. She was very tired from all the packing and moving but she could not say no to her mother. 

 

The petite girl was dressed in a thick black coat over her dark grey winter cardigan and black jeans stuffed into a pair of brown-beige boots. Topping her outfit were a knitted beanie and a light cream scarf. She quickly made her way to the mart a few streets away from her apartment. As she was to enter into the mart, a few girls pushed her out of her way hurriedly. Taken aback and unprepared, she stumbled to the side and knocked into the boxes stacked next to the entrance. Instead of apologizing, the girls shot her a glare, as if it was her fault for blocking their way. 

 

What the hell...? She thought, pushing herself off the boxes. Luckily, the boxes were heavy enough to not topple over. Else, it would have been extra trouble for her. She rubbed her shoulders and arms while letting her gaze follow the group of girls. She made eye contact with one of them and shot her an annoyed look. The other party tried to fight back with a look but nervousness caved in, and she looked away. 

 

"He's right there! So cute!" One of them squealed as their attention was now drifted back into the mart. 

 

"Let's go, let's get closer." Another chirped, squeezing through the door. 

 

"Should we try and ask to take a picture this time?" 

 

"Yes! I'm going to post it, it'll get plenty of likes." 

 

The girls entered the mart, leaving Jeia stunned and irritated. The weather was already not doing her any favour and she felt like she was going to freeze to death any minute... Yet she had to meet such rude people on the streets. It definitely was not such a great start to her day. 

 

Biting her lips in displease, she entered the mart. 

 

Trying to ignore the group of girls, she pulled out the list that was hiding in her pocket and headed to the respective sections. She successfully found the toilet rolls, toothbrushes, toothpaste, scissors and a few packets of chips without having to stumble upon the group of rude girls. She was starting to feel a little better as she slowly crossed out items off her list. Just as when she thought she could leave the mart feeling better, the familiar irritating voices filled her ears. 

 

Jeia glanced towards the other end of the hallway and spotted the girls again. This time, they seemed to be spying on something... Or someone. 

 

"There he is!" A few of them said in unison. 

 

"Quick, snap more pictures." One ordered and everyone whipped out their phones. 

 

And there it goes... The clicking of their phones began. Jeia wanted to just walk off, but glancing down at her list one last time, she realized that they were all huddled at the section she needed to head to. Rolling her eyes and mumbling a few curse words, she headed towards them. 

 

Jeia tried to slide through them but the girls were leaving her no space to walk. She let out an irritated sigh after a few tries but they seem to pay her no attention. What was it that was so intriguing that they have to block the walkway like this? Jeia was running out of patience and because they were so rude to her just now, she felt no kindness to stand here all day and wait till they were done with their business. She needed to run her errands and was too tired to waste her precious time like this. 

 

"Excuse me." She finally said, still keeping her tone formal and kind, not sounding too rude. 

 

There was no response from the girls as they continued snapping with their phones.

 

"Excuse me." This time, she placed more emphasis on her tone.

 

Jeia swore she saw one of them shooting a quick glance. Were they ignoring her?! 

 

"Ex. Cuse. Me!" She finally snapped angrily, before pushing a few of them out of her way and stepping through. The girls that were pushed were taken aback, as they knocked into their friends. Jeia successfully got past them, shooting them a small smirk at their confused expressions. 

 

Right. She wasn't an angel. She's human. She felt no obligation to be a kind person towards these girls. Jeia always had that little feisty temper inside of her that shows when she gets mad. One thing she could not stand about people is rudeness and these girls had a heck lot of attitude. She definitely was not tolerating any of that. 

 

After pushing them out of the way, Jeia glanced up finally coming face to face with what, or whom, they were taking pictures of. 

 

There, right in front of her stood a man that was almost a head taller than her. He was picking at the yogurt and milk section but upon hearing the ruckus, he had turned around. Now the two stood there, facing each other. She scanned him quickly (not to check him out). He was also wearing a black coat, but it was zipped all the way up. He had dark blue jeans on and was wearing black sneakers. His light brown hair was a little messy as if it a beanie was pulled off hastily. He stared down at her, confused at the situation. 

 

After a quick glance at him and an expressionless face, she stepped aside and walked straight past him, towards the milk section. She rolled her eyes as she passed by him. So they were attracted to a cute guy in a mart? Wait - did she just said cute? Whatever, guys could be cute if they wanted to... She just had no particular interest in being so mesmerized and giddy for them. She could just live her life and they could live theirs. It was even more annoying to her that the girls were so disrespectful towards her over a guy, and they had to block the whole walkway just to take pictures of him. It wasn't as if he was an extinct animal, to begin with. There was nothing so special about a guy in a mart.

 

The young male blinked in surprise at the reaction of the lady in front of him. What was that? 

 

The few girls whom the guy was now facing, tried to straighten themselves and shot him flirtatious smiles. He smiled back politely before turning back to choose his yogurt. He continued to notice the girl next to him as she picked out the yogurt she wanted. He shot her a few glances from the corner of his eyes. She looked so unfamiliar... Even the vibes she gives off was different... As if it was - so nonchalant? It was not the kind of treatment he usually gets from girls. No, he was not bragging about the fact that more than half the girls he meets would be the first to smile at him, but it was just a little surprising to him. 

 

He was sure he had never seen her around here. He has been in this neighborhood since he was born and knew almost everyone who lives in this area. Was she new? 

 

Before he could open his mouth to ask, she dumped a box of strawberry yogurt into her basket and walked off, pushing past the group of girls again. His eyes lingered on her back, ignoring the annoyed group of girls who murmured a few unpleasant words at her.

 

...Who is she?