Final

Little to live for

 

 

He loves the smell of earth after rain. They called him a pluviophile where he's a lovers of rain or better known as someone who finds joy and peace of mind during rainy days. For him, the sound of rain drops on the rooftop somehow makes him feel so so good. So good that his tears starts to slide down through his cheek. The old memories still haunts him yet he still wants to forget about it. There's nothing such a hide place for him. Every second, every minutes, he keeps thinking about something that he wish he can forget. He try to fight the memories by himself and he found out that the rain could make him feel at peace. He doesn't have to try hard. Perhaps, he just needs to learn about forgetting. 

Jungkook smiles as soon as he heard his favorite melody outside the window. The sound of Mr Kim's voice, his homeroom teacher somehow getting faded from his hearing. Only one thing that comes to his mind right now. It's raining outside and he loves it. 

 

''Okay class dismissed.'' Mr Kim said as he arranged all his learning material in his black files. After Mr Kim left the class, the student start to whining and sighing about the sudden weather. Maybe they didn't bring their umbrella along to the college. Despite their dislike about the weather, still, one by one student leaves the class without a minutes. 

 

Only one student with a white shirt and blue jeans sit still in his seat, didn't even bother to get up from his seat. He's fall into a scenery in front of him. The sound of the rain making his heart dance in rhythm. He closes his eyes and leans his head back to the chair he was sitting right now. Probably he doesn't have any intention to leave the empty classroom at this moment. The empty classroom in some ways makes him feel such a beauty and serenity. He knows he has made a right decision when there is peace in his heart. He smiles.

 

''Let's go.'' He persuades himself to go home. He knows he can't stay at this class any longer since the guard will come and check all the class before locked it. He doesn't want to gives the guard a hard time waiting for him to left the class so he decides to just go home even though the rain still heavy outside. The hall way is dead silent. The only thing that always accompany him is the sound of the rain. He walks down to the front hall and stops his movement. He still stand inside the rooftop halls while his attention moves to the girl beside him. The girl just stands beside him and keep looking for the weather. She probably didn't bring her umbrella as well. Somehow, there's an urge to make Jungkook to talks with her. He wants to be courage and starts to move on with his past life that related with a girl.

''D-Did you forget to bring your umbrella?'' Jungkook starts a conversation. Still, there's a bit stutter on the start of the sentences but he try his best to talk like a normal person. To talk like someone that have crash his past life forever. His palm broke into a cold sweat. The weather is cold but why did he feels hot inside his broken heart. 

 

The girl looks surprise by his action but she turns to him and flash her best smile. Never did she realizes that someone actually talks with her. Her leg trembles a bit making Jungkook's attention now on her milky white thigh since she was wearing a short jeans and a simple yellow shirt for today class. She doesn't know the weather would be bad today. If she knows about the rain right now, she probably just wear a sweatpants and long sleeves shirt. There's nothing we can predict in this life, instead we should prepare for what's coming ahead. 

 

''Yes, I forget to bring an umbrella today and now I can't walk home yet. The rain still pouring though.'' She said while her gaze move to the dark sky. Seems like the rain won't stop in any minutes. She sigh then she turns to him. She stares at him. A long stare. The feeling of talking to someone, somehow make her feel so sad. She's one of the victim that always get bullied by her classmates. No one dare to talk to her. But right now, she feels so relieved that he doesn't know her true life. Perhaps, once he knows about her life, he will stop talking to her anymore. 

''It feels like the weather is still sad. I'm afraid that if we didn't leave by now, it will start to cry hardly.'' Jungkook said, smiling. Somehow, he wants to make a joke with this girl when he founds that there's a sadness shape in her eyes. Even though she was smiling, Jungkook knows only that formed an upward curve but her eyes, there was something that makes his heart hurt when he looks the way her eyes stares at him. 

''Make it stop.'' She simply said. Her voice cracks. But then she starts to laugh, trying to hide her sadness away. There's one drop of tears that form in her eyes, she quickly run away to be under the rain. She doesn't want he knows her tears. By standing under the rain probably can confuse him up. That's what she thought. 

 

Jungkook walks toward her and quickly cover her head with his bag. Since he was taller than her, it easier for him to protect her from the raindrops. He lets himself wet and he doesn't care to catch a cold later. She lifts her head up and their eyes were met. One thing that comes to his thought when her eyes met him. There's thousand secret in those eyes. His arm never get tired from holding such a heavy bag just to protect this girl however she never asks him to. 

 

''Let's go. I'll walk you to your house.'' He said but the girl didn't move an inch. She looks down to her feet and she founds out that her pink sneaker was drenched by the rainwater. She looks so pitiful. The tears that now escapes from her eyes become faster and faster yet she doesn't know why. The sound of the rain fall on the bag make it hard to hear her sobbing. She cries her heart out. The sadness successfully take over her. She can feel the hot in  as she try to hold her tears to comes out. Its hurt. But then, she wipes her tears secretly and gulp down a saliva to make feels a little better. Sometimes, the tears will make you a little stronger. The grateful feeling rise into her heart and she closed her eyes for a while. God has sent her a new friend to heal her. She smiles. 

''Let's go.'' She said. 

 


 

It's been a week and they have grew close to each other. He investigates about her and she learns about him. For Jungkook, her presence like a bright sunshine and a little rainbow. Instead of rain, Jungkook now loved the sunlight and the clouds that drift by. Now he just let it off, drop by drop and he feel like it is an ocean falling upon him instead of rain, that the grief of years he carefully suspended has all condensed right above his head into a cloud large enough to block the sun. They say it can't rain forever, that there will come a time when it must cease, that the last drop will have fallen. Thing is, he just doesn't care. He will still be true to himself. His matured self. With this experience he have, he will never let himself hurt again by the memories that hunts him. 

 

''Haeri ah, what's wrong with you?'' Jungkook said as his eyes busily scan her body. There was an ugly scars on her cheek and her hands turns all red. She didn't respond to him instead she just flop down on the staircase and there's a hot tears rolling down to her cheek. Her condition right now hurt him so much. For years, he never felt this way to a girl but with Haeri, everything just different. He can't bare to looks her in pain. 

 

She starts to sobbing quietly and buried her face in her small palm. He takes a sit beside her and he caress her back gently. It was painful to see her like this. All he could do was embrace her and let the torrent of her tears to soak through his shirt. He doesn't even care about his now soaking shirt. He just want to takes all her pain and make it into his pain. He can bare with it because he knows she wasn't strong enough to face such a bloody pain. Right now, he just want to find who's the one that make her become like this. He wants to give them a lesson for hurting his girl.

He could feel she clench her fists, not knowing whether to be mad or to give up hope all together. He could hear her silent screaming, suffocating with each breath she took holding onto her pride. Jungkook ran his fingers through her hair, time and time again, in an attempt to calm the silent war within her mind. Once that first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream. 

 

''It's okay Haeri. I'm here for you.'' He said. Unknowingly he starts to choke up. Looking at her like this, make his heart ached. He can't do anything when she's need him the most. He feels regrets about this and the past memories starts to play in his mind again. He doesn't want to lose her again like how he lost his died-lover for a past few years. 

 

He absorbed the trauma, swallowing the pain, then kicked his way slowly back to the surface. Pain was just an illusory sensation that his mind could shut down if it needed to, he told himself. He made a low growl again, straining to stand up to the pain. The pain was unbearable that one day he thinks of suicides himself because of the depression that he lives with after he lost his lover that day. But, when Haeri comes to his life, he knows he needs to change. He can't be weak again. He can't be sad anymore. He needs to wake up from the harsh reality and lives in ones once again. 

 

''Shh, it's okay. It's okay.'' He said, soothing her. She has stop crying but her face still stick on Jungkook's shoulder. He takes her hand on him and caress them slowly. How could they did this to her? There's small bruise appear on her arm and her hands. The bruise that hold a few bad memories. The bruise that will lives with her and will haunt her forever but she doesn't care with that. The old scar on his hand still can be seen clearly yet she didn't hide it. 

 

Jungkook looks at the girl and she finally lift her head up. Her face such a messed up but for him, she's still looks so beautiful. The scars on her cheeks has ruined her beautiful face but that will not make Jungkook leave her. He swipes all the tears that remain on her face away. There's an urge to cry in his heart after witness his girl's bullied condition but he holds the sadness down into his heart and shows his smile to the girl. 

 

''Are you okay?'' He asks the girl slowly. Haeri nods her head. She just hope all this torture against her will end sooner or later. But the later she always said to herself keep delay itself and she will tells herself again, later this bullied will stop. She never gives up to persuade her little heart. She knows she can't so anything about this instead she just cry secretly. The teacher won't take any action against bullied because they're not in the school anymore. It's time to learn how to protect yourself in the college. Nobody will help you anymore. This is how's life is going right now. 

''I'm okay.'' She simply said and get up from the staircase. He looks at her and smile. 

''You want to write our sad story on this building?'' He said. She looks at her, confuse with his words.

''Here, come. I'll show you how its done.'' Jungkook leads her to the rooftop way and both of them make their way to the wall beside the door that connected into the stairways. She just follows what Jungkook did and she's done it too. The two of them write their little sad story on the old wall with a permanent maker that Jungkook brings and there's a mixed feeling that appear in the air. The boy tells how hard he was after his lover died from a bullies and the girl seems shocked by Jungkook's story on the wall. How coincidence it was. She definitely can relate her feelings with Jungkook's lover. The girl tells how hard it was to be one of the victims and how painful it was. After throw away their painful memories into the wall, both of them just laugh loudly, trying to vanish their old memories.

''Right now let's go treat your wound, okay?'' Jungkook said as Haeri nods her head and follows him to the nursery room. Somehow, there's still a big wound in her heart that she doesn't know how to treat. 

 


 

 

'It's heavy' was the only way she could define it. Her life doesn't have any meaning anymore. She doesn't even know how to starts treat her own wound. She had to carry it around even though she never wanted to. It was always over her, casting its shadow on her life. Its feel like she was running in the circle that made by herself. The end of the way was never meant to be found. It was hung by a thin thread, too fragile to hold something so heavy. If she keeps trying to hold it, it will bleed herself even more. Most of the time she didn't know what caused the thread to finally break releasing the weight on her. It fell too fast, and before she could run she'd be pinned down. It crushed her ribs, made it hard for her to breathe. Its hurt her down to her soul. She tried to scream, a cry for help was of no use. No one else could see it nor hear it. The weight that had been slowly crushing her to death. 

 

''Life? Can it be fun?'' Haeri said, crying in the empty classroom all alone. Since Jungkook and Haeri was not in the same class, so it would be difficult for Jungkook to always protect her. She can't seems to be strong enough to attend another class with the bullies. She just sit in the empty class without making any noise. She was afraid. Afraid that they might come back to torture her. 

 

The scissor on the floor grab her attention as she take a step closer. She picks up the scissor from the floor and the cry won't stop anymore. There's a mixed feeling running through her mind right now. She keeps thinking of suicides but she remembers about Jungkook. She doesn't wants Jungkook to suffer anymore but she also want to stops this bullies. She cries for help but there's no one can listen to her silent cry. This feeling that grow in my heart feel stranger. Its familiar yet its unrecognisable. 

She starts to scratch her wrist with the scissor that she was holding all this time. The bleed start to form in her wrist. Its hurt but why she can't feel that? All this time she had been bullied until she forget how to feel the pain anymore. She keep scratch her wrist until its turns into a blue one but she stops her movement. She starts to cry again. She looks so pathetic right now. She doesn't want to end her life like this. 

 


 

The night comes and she was walking to the store near her house. There she saw her bullies gather around her within a minutes when they spotted her. She started to feel anxiety and nervous about how they will treat her tonight. The moment she knows she was running from them and she makes it into a bridge. She saw them getting closer with her and she felt the urge to jump down in the sea but she was so afraid. She was afraid that she cannot meet with Jungkook anymore.They keep mocking her and getting so close to her that make her to jump off from the bridge. She knows she can't swim but still, she willingly to fall deep in the sea.

That night also, he knows about her situation and run his heart out to the bridge.  Without thinking for a second, he jump from the bridge and fall down into a wide sea. He didn't hesitates at all and he wants to finds her. 

The news about them somehow didn't being mention at all. But the painful memories lies with them forever.