Black

Dirty Laundry

 

 

 

“Coins, coins, I have coins~~…” I sang to myself while entering the 24 hr. Laundromat at the ground floor of my apartment building in Myeongdong. The attendant Kibum greeted me with a nod since he is busy talking on the phone as I made my way to where the washing machines are.

 

“Liu! Wait!” I stopped on my tracks and turned around to Kibum who covered the receiver of his phone looking like he remembered something.

 

“What?!”

 

“She’s here!” he hissed in a low voice then looked at the left and the right before going back at me. “The Dragon arrived 5 minutes before you came! Are you sure?” Ahhh….

 

I smiled at him while hugging my big laundry bag full of mine and my niece’s dirty clothes, giving him a shrug. “Its okay Kibum, don’t worry about me. The Dragon won’t eat me alive if I don’t get in her way so you better reserve my favorite machines!”

 

“Are you sure?! Remember last week?!”

 

Ohh… last week. When the Dragon and I had a little skirmish because of the only available machine left. We came at the same time with dirty laundry in tow, we looked at each other… no, glaring at each other in competition on who should use it first. I told her I was the first one to set foot but she said she was the one. We were so busy bickering that we didn’t notice that the old lady living 3 doors down from my apartment came and loaded her laundry.

 

Of course we can’t do anything about it (^_^’) 

 

The Dragon told her with a very sweet smile on her pretty face that she will just wait for another machine to free up even asking the old lady Mrs. Nam if she wants a hot cup of tea or snack while waiting. Yeah, she has her episodes of goodness and kindheartedness to people except me.

 

Can’t help it. Especially when the Dragon and you works at the same place and share the same air.

 

Yep. She and I are working together, and unluckily, she also lives in the same apartment building where I live. And guess what?

 

She lives on the same floor. The door beside mine.

 

How cruel life is I’m telling you. I see her in the morning when I go out of my door, I see her in the station, you share a car, you see each other everyday. And everyday is a struggle at work. Sigh.

 

But one day we had the ‘talk’ and it ended well. Really really really well… *winkwink*

 

“Yeah, no worries. I’ll get going now!” I waved goodbye to him and made my way to the farthest corner of the laundromat hidden from everyone. Its my favorite spot because I can just load my laundry then wait for it to finish while sitting on the row of seats there listening to music with my headphones on.

 

I always do the laundry at rest days, sometimes even if its not a rest day because in my work rest days are somewhat impossible. Since the Laundromat is 24 hrs. I can pop up here at midnight or wee hours in the morning to do it, can’t help it if your insomia visits you at night.

 

As soon as I turned left to the corner, the smell of detergent and fabric conditioner filled my nostrils. There were a few people doing their load but all of them are in the machines near the entrance. I quietly walk my way to the end seeing the Dragon in front of her chosen machine putting the soiled white clothes of hers and her niece. I dropped my bag on the floor beside her and instantly, the smell of detergent and fabric conditioner wasn’t there anymore.

 

Its her own scent I can smell now, filling my nostrils. That refreshing scent of lavander and citrus… damn… control yourself Amber…

 

She didn’t even took a glance at me and continued what she’s doing while I scratch my head and shrugged it out. Maybe the Dragon has a bad morning…. but I doubt it.

 

I started loading the soiled clothes in the machine, both of us not talking, not even sparing a glance at each other. Reaching for some coins in my pocket, I dropped it on the slot and pushed the start button. Soon, water and detergent slowly filled the machine and started spinning. I looked at the Dragon beside me and saw that she already finished loading hers and is now closing the door of the machine.

 

Okay……

 

in 3…2…1….

 

“Hey… Liu… coins…” she hissed at me while folding her laundry bag, she raised her head meeting my gaze and I finally saw her pretty face that I love looking at everyday and last night. I placed my hands inside my pocket and raised my eyebrows at her in a teasing manner.

 

“Yah… you came here without coins?!”

 

“Yah! Its your duty to provide me coins…”

 

“And why is that my duty!? Its not even my dirty clothes!”

 

She crossed her arms in front of me and raised her eyebrows too, smirking. Gosh… don’t do that to me! “Really, huh? Really Liu?!”

 

Hahaha…… fine. “I will report you to the Police and tell them you always ask for money-- awww!!” she stomped on my feet so hard I can’t even fathom how painful it is. Geez!! This Dragon!

 

“Non-sense… come on Liu! Coins!~~~” she pouted shamelessly at me that made me forget the pain I have in my foot that she tried to murder. Ahhh…. who would have thought the Dragon can pout and act cute like this? So cute like a puppy extending her hand asking for the coins in my pocket. I didn’t know Dragons can be cute… "I soooo want to kiss you right now do you know that!?" she just answered me with a funny face and extended her hand asking for the coins.

 

“Fine… fine… coins. Geez, Jung! Next time bring your own coins! I literally picked that from Yeri’s coin bank before coming down here.”

 

“Shame on you Liu! Why did you do that?! Your 6 year old niece might be saving for something and here you are robbing her…” she snorted at me and smiled cutely when I was going to drop the coins on her palm but I decided to and retract it. “Yah!”

 

“For your information, I did took the coins but I replaced it with paper money. It means there is an exchange and I didn’t rob her! You are the one robbing me now! Awww!” sadistic Dragon!

 

“Come on just give me the coins so I can start my laundry! I have to finish this early because Dani wants me to cook Ramen for lunch! She even said that Yeri is coming over because they are going to do their homework together.”

 

“Your niece is really something… why not just eat out in a Ramen House? Yeri loves Ramen at the nearby restaurant down the street… Let's just go there.” instead of giving her the coins, I dropped it straight on the slot of her machine and pushed the Start button for her. I’ve been robbed again by the Dragon tsk tsk tsk.

 

The two of us sat together on the seats while looking at the machines doing their work. Both of us silent and breathing the same air. I looked around and saw that some of the customers are busy on what they are doing and all of them are far away from our spot.

 

“I told you yesterday not to do it but you still did…” she started in a low voice, not even looking at me. I scratched my head and looked around before slowly inching my left hand on hers, my head looking around again making sure no one is paying attention to us. No one can see us be like this or else we will be the topic of the whole building.

 

“But you know its needed… that’s our work..” I answered her in a low voice too now holding her hand tight intertwining our fingers. How soft her hands is... and perfectly fits with mine.

 

She sighed audibly before turning her head at me, her eyes showing worry. I know she has been itching to tell me about it yesterday but she just kept quiet while on the way home.

 

Our work? Lets just say it is risky and dangerous. But we love it.

 

“Am… what if--”

 

“Shhh… hey… nothing happened. I only got away with bruises…”

 

“But you could have been--”

 

“Oh! Detective Jung, Detective Liu! Good morning!” I suddenly retracted my hands on hers and pretended nothing happened as we stood up and bowed to our neighbor Mrs. Nam who was smiling at us.

 

“Mrs. Nam good morning…” Soojung and I greeted her and guided to sit beside her while I took the old lady’s laundry basket and started to load the contents on the machine. Mrs. Nam is already 75 years old and is living with her Grandson Eric who owns the grocery store across our apartment building. He and I became friends when I first set foot in this neighborhood 8 months ago coming from Busan because of being assigned at the Police Station here in Seoul.

 

“Aigoo, such a pretty lady you really are Detective Jung. How are you? I didn’t saw you here last week… its only Detective Liu who came with the laundry… Have you been well?” I smiled at how thoughtful the old lady is and how warm she is with Soojung. The latter smiled warmly at Mrs. Nam and pouted. “I was busy last week Mrs. Nam, I have to work overtime on a case that’s why I canceled my rest day. I did came here by midnight to wash the clothes because my niece Dani was complaining at me that I haven’t wash her school uniform.”

 

Soojung and Mrs. Nam started to have a chat talking about the weather and everything in the community, I left them for a few minutes to get some coffee on the vending machine because for sure this is going to be a long chat between them. I went back to them bringing 3 cups of coffee and some bread, they were still talking while I busied myself transferring the clean clothes on the dryer. I can hear Soojung’s happy voice while chatting with our neighbor telling her about the drama she saw in TV the other night. It made me smile because this is a side of Soojung that she only shows to people she’s comfortable with.

 

“By the way, have you been dating anyone right now Detective Jung?” Mrs. Nam asked her in a whisper that made me chuckle. I took a glance at Soojung and saw her cheeks turned red because of the question, she was taking secret glances at me that’s why I stick out my tongue at her jokingly.  

 

Its not that I am ashamed to be seen with Soojung doing things like couples do. She and I have this understanding that the best thing to do right now is to keep our relationship a secret first because we don’t want it to be the talk of the whole building. And most importantly, its a no-no when it comes to our job in the Police Station where we serve as Detectives.

 

Our first meeting was kind of… scary. For me. Coming from a very peaceful neighborhood in the province where the only crime that has happened for the span of 10 years is someone stealing a boat, I didn’t have the complete experience of chasing criminals, firing my service firearm, and confront a hostage taker though I have an extensive training about it.

 

Meeting her that day at the Police Station while being held hostage accidentally by the criminal that went berserk, I thought it was my last day on Earth. Imagine being held at gun point on my temple by that bastard, my first day at work!

 

She was brave… really brave. Holding her gun and pointing it at the hostage taker who was choking me in his hold, she approached him swiftly using the element of anger and surprise confusing him. She look so scary that day… like a Dragon ready to breathe fire that even the hostage taker trembled on her aura until she came close to us and gave him a knee on his jewels and a punch in his gut letting me go completely while holding his precious jewel.

 

“I…uhhh….well….”

 

“You need someone to take care of you, and treat you like a Princess. You’ve been working hard for this community its time you are the one being taking cared of… someone who will protect you and give you love.” I don’t know if I’m hallucinating or something but I think I saw Mrs. Nam throwing a quick glance at me with a teasing smile. This old woman… I hope Eric didn’t tell her! Her Grandson is a loud mouth! I shook my head forgetting it and dropped some coins again on the slots of the 2 machines to start drying the clothes.

 

They continued on their chat while waiting for the clothes to dry while I went to the reception and started a conversation with Kibum talking about the burglar we arrested at the other street who went inside the bread shop owned by another tenant in our apartment building, Ailee unnie. She always give the kids freshly bake bread in the morning when Dani and Yeri will pass by her bread shop before going to school.

 

I was already folding the comforter I took out from the dryer when a garment suddenly dropped on the floor coming from it. My eyes went wide in panic and instantly turned to Soojung who has agape while looking at the black lacy underwear that Mrs. Nam took from the floor with a teasing smile.

 

“Oh my God!”

 

“I believe you forgot something this morning Detective Jung…” she placed it while smiling on Soojung’s hands who look so embarrassed that her face is so red like an apple and possibly cursing me inside her mind right this moment. How can I be so stupid not to check it this morning when I woke up! Don’t tell me she went back to her apartment last night without her undies!? Wait... i remember placing it under the pillow....

 

“W-wait I… this… Mrs. Nam…” ...

 

“Don’t worry you two, your secret is safe with me.” she gave us a wink and left the two of us still flustered and frozen in place.

 

Soojung turned to me and I can see the redness of her face and the same time snarling at me. Sigh…


“AMBER!!!!!”

 

I’m done.