This Jinyoung

in another life.

Jinyoung was walking to the gate when he felt a vibration coming from his pocket. He instantly released a helpless groan. Please dont me my manager. He retrieved it, already expecting the worst. He’ll probably have to cancel another flight back home. It wouldn’t be the first time anyway. 

 

Hubby: When are you coming home? I miss you :(

 

His mood immediately skyrocketed upon reading his husband’s latest message. No matter how drained he is from work, just one message from Mark is enough to lift his exhaustion. He can’t wait to see him again. Its been too long.

 

He was too immersed thinking of his husband in the middle of the airport that he didn’t notice another body walking towards him. At the last second, he managed to move out of the way (thank god for those foot workouts in practice). Unfortunately, the other man, who had his nose stuck in a folder, bumped into the person behind Jinyoung.

 

He let out a quiet ow and simply hung his head low as the woman he ran into threw insults at him. Jinyoung’s eyes traveled to the folder that was now abandoned on the floor. He was about to pick it up, but the man got there first. Their eyes met and the other’s eyes grew in shock. Time seemingly stopped as they stared at each other and Jinyoung can’t pinpoint it, but there’s something extremely weird going on. The man was looking at him like he saw a ghost instead of a world-famous soccer player and he’s a little offended (sure, his dark circles are the worst they’ve ever been, but he can’t look that bad).

 

“Are you okay?” he asked at long length.

 

The other finally snapped out of whatever trance he was in. He quickly apologized before darting of, but not without stealing another glance at Jinyoung.

 

He was left mentally scratching his head at how weird that encounter was. Didnt even try to get my signature. Huh. What a strange man. He decided it was just one of those days and went ahead and boarded the plane after sending a simple “Soon my love. And I miss you more” to his awaiting husband.

 

 

As soon as he stepped foot out of the airport, he was bombarded with flashing lights and loud screams from reporters and photographers alike. It’s so early in the morning, for crying out loud.

 

“Jinyoung, how’s your preparation for the upcoming Olympics?”

 

“Shouldn’t you be in training right now?”

 

“Bring home the gold medal”

 

“Have you heard of that new soccer player in town? I heard he’s almost as good as you.”

 

Not even a day in Korea and he’s already being made guilty about taking a short vacation. But if anything, Jinyoung’s not a coward and he gives as good as he gets.

 

“To answer your questions: Preparation’s going great. I’m obviously not in training right now. I’ve brought home a lot of gold medals, how many more do you want? And no, I haven’t. I’m a busy man and I don’t have time to gossip like you.”

 

He heaved a deep sigh as he got into the car waiting for him. Just a few more minutes and you’ll be in Mark’s arms. It’ll be worth it, he told himself. Just the thought of it made him smile. If only he can bring his husband whenever he travels out of the country...but that would be extremely selfish of him. Mark has a career of his own that he actually enjoys and Jinyoung doesn’t want to take that happiness away from him.

 

Not that Jinyoung hates his profession. It was his ultimate dream to be a soccer player after all. Back then, he didn’t know that the then 16-year-old Park Jinyoung would lead his team to several national championships. He had no idea that he would be one of the soccer players to represent South Korea in international games and eventually the Olympics. But most of all, he didn’t expect that fame and recognition would become this overbearing and demanding of his time. He barely saw his parents, siblings, and Mark in the past 9 months since he started his rigorous training for the Olympics.

 

“Hang in there. You’ll be with your home soon,” said his long-time driver with a sympathetic smile. He must’ve noticed Jinyoung spacing out again.

 

He returned the smile. Yeah. My one and only home, Mark.

 

Exhaustion took over his body and he fell asleep on the way home. He woke up to his driver gently shaking his shoulder. After retrieving his luggage and other belongings, Jinyoung waved goodbye to him.

 

“See you in a few days, Mr. Song.”

 

“Enjoy your break! Spend quality time with him. God knows how much he’s been missing you.”

 

Jinyoung titled his head in question.

 

His driver chuckled. “He called me last week to ask if I know when you’ll be arriving. He sounded sad.”

 

He bit his lip. He knows how much Mark misses him because Jinyoung misses him 10 times more. The sadness in his husband’s eyes whenever he says goodbye...that memory stays with him even in his dreams, drowning his heart in guilt and regret that he can’t do more for the person that has been there for him since the beginning.

 

His driver hesitated for a moment before finally saying, “I know it’s not my place. But cherish the time you have with your loved ones while you still can. Life is unpredictable in so many ways and the last thing you want is to wake up one day only to find that they’re no longer there.” 

 

Jinyoung kept replaying that message in his head as he unlocks the door to their house and made his way upstairs to the master’s bedroom where he knows Mark will be—sleeping on Jinyoung’s side of the bed and tightly hugging his pillow.

 

Just like he thought, Mark was indeed on his side of the bed with his arms around Jinyoung’s pillow.

 

He watched him for a few minutes, just taking in his husband’s peaceful face and engraving it in his memory. They’ve been together for almost 8 years now (4 years of dating and soon to celebrate their 4th year as a married couple), yet he still can’t believe that he found someone as beautiful as Mark. How did I end up marrying this wonderful human being? I really don’t deserve him.

 

He softly ran his fingers through Mark’s disheveled hair until he stirred awake. He kept his eyes shut for a few seconds until he finally realized there was another person in the room.

 

“Jinyoung? Oh my god, you’re home!” He leapt up and immediately engulfed Jinyoung in a very tight embrace. Jinyoung buried his nose in his husband’s shoulder, deeply inhaling the scent that he missed so much.

 

“Good morning hubby. I love you.” He peppered kisses along Mark’s neck and shoulder, relishing in the shiver that ran through his husband’s body. They remained like that for several minutes—Jinyoung kissing every nook and crevices as Mark released a shudder every now and then.

 

Mark finally stopped him when Jinyoung began biting and on his skin. “Hmm...why didn’t you tell me you were coming home today?”

 

He pecked his lips before answering, “I wanted to surprise you.”

 

“I would’ve preferred it if you just told me.” Mark pulled out his signature pout and what was Jinyoung supposed to do other than to kiss it away?

 

“Sorry love. How should I make it up to you?”

 

Mark gave him a mischievous smirk and trailed a finger up Jinyoung’s arm. “Well you can continue what you were doing earlier. And more.”

“Yeah?”

 

God, yes please.” And that’s all it took for Jinyoung to tackle him to bed and kiss his pain and worries away. This is the best he can do for now, but come tomorrow, he’ll finally be the husband that Mark deserves.