Final

Under The Bus Stop

Fresh term. A fresh new start. Everything had resumed and proceeded as usual. He walked with slight bounce in every of his steps out of the school gate with his new solid black bag slung behind him. A tag printed neatly in gold prints "Kim Jong In" was pinned nicely right above his mini pocket on his uniform. He inhaled the fresh evening air as he closed his eyes and sighed. Everything had gone well.

Just when he opened his eyes, his sight turned towards the bus stop that was straight down the road on his left. There sat a petite boy staring with his doe eyes into the beautiful orange ombre sky that complemented his pale flawless skin while hugging his bag like a teddy bear. It was a view that never left his mind after then.

~~~

Second day came in a blink of an eye. He never knew he would meet the boy again but there he was, eyes widened and fixated on the boy who was hurling in all his feelings into the song that he and a group of other guys singing with mics while strumming guitars.

"Kamjjong, what are you looking at?"

"Oh nothing much."

That was basically what he said again when he saw the boy running round the track as fast as he could, his raven black hair swept to the back due to the wind and his arms swinging widely and vigorously back and forth. He could feel the intense concentration in his eyes as he sprinted through the track. That moment mesmerised him and made him more attracted.

"Jongin, let's go."

His train of thoughts broke at that moment. Although he was already walking ahead with his friends, his eyes were practically glued to that boy who was now at the side, panting hard with a smile. Another image added to his memory.

~~~

It's finally Friday... Jongin was running out of the gate, ready to head home. With no intention, he glanced towards the bus stop and no doubt, the boy was sitting over there, staring into the beautiful clear sky with only occasional fluffy white clouds dotting it. He could see a faint smile on his face as he continued to stare. His legs were swinging back and forth in no particular pattern, as if he was a carefree child.

"Jongin, who are you staring at?"

Mesmerised by the sight before his eyes, Jongin paid no attention to his friend.

"Ah...  that boy? He's Kyung Soo. Do Kyung Soo."

Surprisingly yet oddly, that was the only phrase he heard out of whatever his friend had blabbered about. Kyung Soo. Do Kyung Soo. Throughout his trip back home was all about reciting the name again and again till it stayed on the tip of his tongue.

~~~

He could say this was fate. Or it could merely be just a coincidence. There he stood by the gate as he stared at Kyung Soo who was once again sitting by the bus stop, deep in thoughts. It had been a long day in school. Things had happened in school, throwing infinite stress and work onto Jongin's shoulders. However, seeing such a pure and innocent scene right before his eyes, Jongin's troubles and bad feelings vanished almost immediately.

Perhaps it was God's plan to set them up. It was raining heavily with droplets of water dropping from the sky without any pauses. Jongin had also forgotten to bring his umbrella along so there were only two choices for him to choose.

To brave the rain or to wait for the bus that never seems to come.

Though Jongin loved the rain, following his heart, he sat at the bus stop, inches away from Kyung Soo. His heart was pounding hard against the chest, ready to hop out and confess his love. Almost hyperventilating, Jongin calmed himself down the breathing exercises he had learnt during his dance lesson. Just when he was about to say "hi" so as to not appear unfriendly, someone beat him to it.

"Hello."

Jongin could almost feel his heart skipped a beat as he held his breath. His mind was in a mess as his brain tried to process.

"H-Hi."

Jongin's voice cracked slightly as he stammered. He could hear a slight muffled giggle coming from Kyung Soo, which sounded adorable to him. His face nearly turned red but he kept calm as he breathed in and out a few times.

"What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for the bus because it's raining."

Jongin mentally facepalmed himself.

"You do know that bus dont actually come here until nightfall right?"

Jongin knew but he could not speak the truth.

"Oh no it's okay. I'll just wait here for the rain to stop."

Kyung Soo's big round eyes widened alittle before turning his vision back to the sky that is filled with gloomy grey clouds.

"Uhm how about you? I saw you sitting by here for numerous of days already."

Just then, Jongin realised that that sounded slightly creepy. Oh no. He's gonna think I'm a stalker.

"Erm I mean I happen to walk by then I saw you here and somehow I kinda remember you."

Oh no. That's even worse.

"I-I just felt that you're the only one sitting here all the time so that's why I can remember you..."

By the time, Jongin was in a panic mode as he recked his brains for more logical and better answers but his mind was all blank. He looks fine on the outside and internally, he was having a mental breakdown. He hated to embarrass himself and yet, the more he did not want to, the more he did. He was close to breaking down as he tried his best to maintain his composure, not wanting to spoil his image in front of Kyung Soo. Just then, he heard a giggle beside him before it exploded into a laughter.

"You're really funny. I understand, don't worry."

Jongin's heart fluttered alittle. Thankfully he had his fringe to cover his beetroot face. He was so sure that if Kyung Soo leaned slightly closer as his body shaked with excitement, Jongin would have died there.

Kim Jongin. 14 January 1994. 18 years old. Died due to heart attack caused by sitting too close to a guy named Do Kyung Soo.

Jongin laughed internally at his stupidity. Just then, he realised he was still sitting beside Kyung Soo.

"Oh so why are you sitting alone here?"

No words came out from Kyung Soo's mouth. All Kyung Soo did was smile. Jongin tilted his head in confusion. Minutes after minutes passed and soon silence took over the space between both of them. Jongin gave up waiting for an answer before staring down at his feet.

"Well... I don't have a home to go..."

"What do you mean?"

"My parents abandoned me when I was young."

Shock overwhelmed Jongin. He could not believe that a boy that looked like a studious child with the happiest family one could find was an orphan.

"W-What happened? Why did they...?"

There was a moment of silence.

"It's okay if you don't want to say it."

Silence.

"I was a illegitimate child. My dad hated me. He left with another woman. My mum had financial issues and her new husband hated me since the day I was born. They left me alone at a playground. With just a melting ice cream under the hot scorching sun. I cried for them to come back but no one came except for the roaring thunder and terrifying lighting, accompanied by rain that poured like there was no tomorrow. I was scared. I was cold. I was hungry. But no one came..."

There was silence once again though tears were now falling from Kyung Soo's red eyes. Cars were screeching by. People were shouting for their friends in a distance away.

"I sit here just to stare at the beautiful sky. This sky taught me how to hope. This sky taught me how to dream. This sky taught me everything I needed to know about the world. This sky comforts me... I sit here because I know no one comes here. No buses come here. No one would find me. So no one would bully me. No one would ever abuse me. No one would ever touch me again."

"What do you mean?"

Kyung Soo choked on his tears as he stared at his now open palms that were filled with bruises and cuts. There were afew fresh ones but most likely wounds of a crimson dried red shade.

"People knew I had no parents. They mocked me. People knew no one cared for me. They beat me. People knew I was just a dumb kid and would never report anything to teachers. They slashed me as a stress reliever."

There was a pause. Kyung Soo moaned alittle as he brushed his fingers through the cuts on his hand.

"I used to hate it. I begged for them to stop. They just wouldn't. Now I beg for more and they never did give me anymore."

Jongin knew nothing to say to him. He sat there as he allowed the information to sink into his skull.

"Bye. I need to go."

Kyung Soo did not give any second for him to react, leaving Jongin sitting by the bus stop with the cold chilly breeze blowing him.

~~~

The very next day, as usual after school, Jongin found Kyung Soo sitting by the bus stop. Instead of the sorrowful look on his face, there was a bright smile on his face. In fact, it was an anticipating smile, as if he was waiting for someone. Waiting for him. Jongin felt his heart palpitated alittle faster as he crept gently towards Kyung Soo.

"Hello Soo."

Indeed he was. Excited, he pulled Jongin down to the seat as he began talking like a machine gun and the only words Jongin could hear was, "Will you go out with me today?" His inner self jumped alittle, afraid that all of these were just a dream. He slapped his own wrist before whining in pain, concluding that this was definitely real.

"Yes I love yo- to."

That was then he saw the brightest smile one would ever have.

Before Jongin could process what he had signed himself up for, he was at the 'S' cafe where the grinding of the quality coffee beans brings out beauitful aroma and always draws Jongin in but being a poor kid, Jongin never had the chance and the courage to step by the counter to actually glance through the white solid neat rows of drinks names printed on the clean board. Now that he was here, even sipping the expensive black coffee, or what they call it "Iced Americano", through the spring green straw near a window with a guy he met afew days ago, this actually felt like a dream.

"Jongin-ah, how's the coffee? Do you like it?"

Jongin looked up from his cup of iced americano before gazing into the man right before him. His heart jumped and raced alittle faster. He wondered, why am I being so affected by a man I met only afew days ago?

"Jongin?"

He snapped out from his daze before giving a warm smile to the doe-eyed man.

"Yup I love it."

"What a relief..."

Seeing how his comment put a smile to that milky white skinned man, his body felt warm and sweet despite the cold bitter liquid running down his throat.

"Jongin, let's go to the 'L' theme park! I've always loved the thrill and adrenaline rushing through my blood when I was a child. It would be good if I am able to just relive the moment again..."

"Sure why not? Some thrill in life is what makes life fun, isnt it?"

Screams. Cheers. Laughter. All of it filled the air as the theme park roared to life with all the lovely lights lighting up the entire place. Couples. Families. Friends. All of them filling the space as they walked through the crowd. Jongin took a peek at Kyung Soo, only to realise his eyes were darting left and right, up and down, his body shaking alittle with beads of perspiration rolling down his forehead.

He must be frightened by the crowd...

Unknowingly, his arm slowly crept over to the man's shoulder, wrapping his arm around the shoulder and pulling the man closer to him, feeling their warmth together.

"It's okay. I'm here."

Despite being the one who said it, Jongin flushed before looking straight with a reassuring smile. If Jongin had just stole a glance, he would have seen that shy and embarrassed boy who fell in love once again right beside him.

"I wish I could do the same..."

How unfortunate the whisper was too soft for Jongin's ears to catch. Too little for his mind to process. Too much for his heart to take.

"Soo, shall we try that Hollywood ride? Wouldn't it be fun to experience what it's like not to know what's approaching and how and when it ends?"

Kyung Soo was taken aback but soon nodded his head. Jongin grinned before interlocking their fingers together and pulling Kyung Soo towards the ride right in front of them.

After a long wait for the ride, it was finally their turn. They took their seats as they pulled the safety bars and belts down to secure themselves safely. As the instructions and safety precautions played through a mini radio right in front of them, Jongin could see the scared Kyung Soo again, biting his lips in fear and gripping onto the metal bars right in front of them till his fists were going to turn white. Jongin took Kyung Soo hand into his before giving his the same reassuring smile but now with their gaze locked.

It's okay, Soo...

The roller coaster started moving backwards and Jongin looked back to the front with an anticipating smile.At that moment, Kyung Soo returned back the smile.

The day was ending soon with the sun setting down, turning the sky into a beautiful shade of pink with a little sky blue if one looked long enough. They sat by the same bus stop that they met.

"Jongin ah, thanks for today. It was fun and I accomplished everything today."

"Soo, I love you."

It was a sudden confession. It was never planned because not only Kyung Soo but Jongin was also caught off guard too. That three words that slipped off from the tip of his tongue. But it was the truth. The truth that his heart wanted to scream out since the moment his eyes landed on him. Ever since his heart goes "padum" on him.

Jongin looked away in embarrassment, trying to mentally dig a hole in that concrete ground with his bare hands right now and jump into that deep blackhole that would swallow him up whole. He was about to brush it off but a pair of hands pulled his head closer and soon another soft sweet lips handed on his lips. Just nothing but a sweet kiss.

"Jongin, I love you too."

Shocked, Jongin pulled away, looking straight into Kyung Soo's doe eyes. Kyung Soo held the same feeling as Jongin.

Love.

Jongin grinned and Kyung Soo did too. Jongin pulled Kyung Soo closer with his arms wrapped around his waist before planting their lips together. Surprisingly, tears started streaming down both of their faces.

Soo loves me... He must be happy like me crying...

But Jongin doesn't know that Kyung Soo's tears didnt hold the same meaning because internally, his heart was falling and shattering little by little. Pain was overwhelming him but he could not stop and destroy the fairytale happening for the innocent pure boy right before him just because he could not experience the same. He wished the man before him was his Prince Charming but fairytale will never coincide with reality because they are two separate matters. And Jongin and Kyung Soo are two separate people too. Kyung Soo closed his eyes as tears flowed even more when Jongin deepened the kiss.

Later that day, they parted ways with a promise Jongin suggested to meet tomorrow here again.

~~~

With a hopeful heart, Jongin went to that same bus stop with a skip in his steps. Jongin could not help but feel excitement running through his entire body as he anticipate what they could do today for a date. Afterall it is their first date. Jongin reached the bus stop but it was empty. He scratched his head in confusion as he looked around if Kyung Soo was hiding. He shrugged his shoulders as he sat at the bench, swinging his legs back and forth while hugging his bag.

He waited and waited. Breeze turned to wind. White clouds turned to grey ones. Drizzle turned to downpour. And his full heart became empty.

While waiting for Kyung Soo, a notification popped up on Jongin's screen. It was Kyung Soo's voice message. Jongin opened it.

"Jongin ah, stop waiting for me. I won't come. I'll never come. I'm sorry..."

It was short but it ended their story here. He never knew the actual reason why but he left it as it is.

Jongin looked up at the sky. For a very long time. The sky cleared and clouds turned back to white ones, just like how it was when he first saw Kyung Soo.

"I sit here just to stare at the beautiful sky. This sky taught me how to hope. This sky taught me how to dream. This sky taught me everything I needed to know about the world. This sky comforts me..."

"Soo... you lied. the sky doesn't comfort you. It just makes you swallow all the troubles and hardships up before you get drown by the pain accumulated..."

Jongin looked up in the sky as he admired the clouds with tears rolling down his face. He closed his eyes and more tears ran down.

Later that day, Jongin left with a "goodbye". And he left for good.