Kiss the Girl

Kiss the Girl

All you see as Mrs. Baker drones on about covalent bonds and molecular structure is soft dark hair that crashes in waves down the back of the girl in front of you. She’s new to McKinley and she’s already forming a name for herself, you just can’t really remember what it was. You’ve always been bad at remembering names.

But you remember the first day she was introduced to your chemistry class; she wore a tight black skirt that barely passed school regulation and a floral blouse hidden beneath a leather jacket. You remember Mrs. Baker having her hand on the new girl’s back as she spoke to the class and you remember the new girl rolling her eyes as she told everyone her name. You remember because you kind of forgot how to breathe as soon as you heard the sound of her voice it was that beautiful.

               But her name? Yeah, you don’t remember that.

There you see her
Sitting there across the way
She don’t got a lot to say
But there’s something about her

              You notice that she keeps to herself most days. You see boys try to sit with her at lunch but she always makes them run off with their tails tucked between their legs. Her beauty is intimidating, that’s for sure, but no one can keep their eyes off her. Boys don’t get the message and they keep on trying.

               “Why don’t you ask her to sit with us?” HeiRyung suggests one day as she picks the tomatoes out of her salad. She doesn’t look up but you already know who she’s talking about, “Coach wants us to try and recruit her.”

                “Really?” You ask and glance across the cafeteria at the girl sitting alone. You roll the thought around in your head; cheerleading are beautiful and she would definitely fit in. There’s that pang of fear in your chest though as you see Parker wink at her and she scrunch her nose, you don’t want that to be you. You don’t want to be rejected. “Why can’t you talk to her? You’re the captain.” You ask because HeiRyung has a special kind of personality that allows her to make people do anything she says; you’re convinced she’s got telekinetic powers.

               HeiRyung finally looks up at you and smiles that angelic head cheerleading captain smile, “You’re friendlier than I am.”

               You gulp nervously but find yourself standing from your seat and making the walk over to the new girl’s table.

              “Hi.” You greet shakily and smile your best smile. She looks away from the book she has laid out next to her lunch tray and looks up at you, her brow quirking as if to say what do you want. You swallow the lump in your throat and take a deep breath, “We’re in the same chemistry class..”

              “Okay?” She says and she kind of squints at you like she’s trying to see through you. You honestly feel standing in front of her because you’ve never exactly been this close to her or had her staring directly into your eyes and it’s really intense.

It’s overwhelming and when you open your mouth to continue on with your proposal, nothing comes out.  You’re sweating and everything inside you feels fluttery and you can’t decide if you want to run back and hide behind HeiRyung or pass out. She continues to stare at you though, the corner of twitching and you just know she’s about to laugh at you.

You’ve got a thing about that, about people laughing at you when you’re not trying to be funny, and that makes you feel even more nervous.

Miraculously, you clear your throat and words fall easily, “Do you want to sit with me and my friend HeiRyung?” You jut your thumb behind you to where HeiRyung’s been watching and you feel a little less riled up because the hard part is already over with. You watch the new girl stare at you curiously as if she’s never been asked that before and your heart kind of lurches. You kind of get how someone would be afraid to ask her, she’s not exactly approachable, but no new kid should go through that. You think of sad things like eating lunch alone in a bathroom stall and suddenly you’re speaking again, “We won’t try to ask you on dates or anything either. HeiRyung has a boyfriend.”

Her scowl morphs into a smirk that slowly turns into a toothy smile before she shakes her head and goes back to looking tough, “And what about you?”

You’re sure your eyes go wide because a smile escapes her again. You don’t get to enjoy it because she hides it away, but you shake your head at her question, “No, I don’t have a boyfriend.”

“Huh,” She breathes out then looks down at her book and tray then up to you before she looks past you to your table. She pinches her lips to the side and you can’t help but watch the way they move and how soft they look. You snap your gaze away when she looks up at you and shrugs, “Sure, why not?”

You bounce a little on your toes because you’re excited that it actually turned out well and when she begins to gather her things, you offer your hand to help. You don’t know why you do that and she looks at your extended hand like she doesn’t know why you did that either but she’s not entirely against it.

And you don’t know why
But you’re dying to try
You wanna kiss the girl.

-----------------------------

Read the rest on my BlackVelvet Tumblr blog! It's called BlackVelvetShipShots. Here is the url: https://blackvelvetshipshots.tumblr.com/. Enjoy!