Part 2

Promise Ring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jiwon woke up he didn't know where he was at first, until he smelled alcohol and heard the beep of the machine beside his bed. He was in the hospital – his most hated place in the world. Jiwon tried to move, but he couldn’t. He looked down at his body and panic hit him. His arms were in casts. His right leg was in a cast too. What had happened to him? Why was he here? Last he remembered was… he was rushing to Sunghoon's place to explain… then the black car… How long had he been out?

Jiwon’s throat felt dry, he needed water. "A…ny…one there…?" Jiwon whispered hoarsely.

"Hyung? Hyung, you're awake!”

Then Jiwon saw his Sunshine. His sight was still a little fuzzy. Jiwon blinked a few times, willing Sunghoon into focus. Sunghoon’s hair was hanging into his face and he had dark circles under his eyes. “Hoon… ah…” It hurt to speak.

Sunghoon’s hand brushed his cheek and tears were welling up in his eyes. “Hyung… I was so worried!”

But a machine was ringing and a doctor and a few nurses came running in. They told Sunghoon to leave the room. Jiwon was protesting weakly, but his head felt like it was stuffed with cotton. Then they were dragging Sunghoon out of the room.

~*~

Sunghoon frantically approached the nurse's station. "What's going on? Please! Can someone tell me what’s going on please?"

Just then Jiyong hugged him to calm him down. "Hoon-ah, calm down," Jiyong whispered.

Jaejin approached a nurse standing outside Jiwon's room and asked regarding his status. "Excuse me, can you tell us what happened, please?"

"We arrived just in time. Suwon-ah, can you please get water for Sunghoon?" Jaeduck said, signaling Jiyong to the chairs at the end of the hall.

Moments later Sunghoon was sitting down in the chair, cradling a glass of water in his hands. Suwon and Jiyong were sitting next to him. Jaejin walked over and they all looked for him to explain what had happened. The look on Jaejin’s face was downcast.

”What?” said Sunghoon, terrified.

”He’s not gonna die. But,” Jaejin swallowed, not wanting to say the next words, "… his career as an idol may have already ended."

"What do you mean?" Sunghoon asked in a panic.

"He'll need to stay in the hospital for a long time for his rehabilitation and even after that he might not be able to dance anymore. It'll put too much strain on his knees." Jaejin explained.

"If Jiwon-hyung will be gone a long time and can’t dance anymore, what will happen to us?" Suwon wondered out loud.

Jaejin kicked Suwon's shin.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that…”

"Jaejin-ah, can you see if we can enter Jiwon-hyung’s room now? I think it will reassure our minds if we were there instead." Jaeduck said.

Sunghoon felt as if he was drowning in worry for Jiwon. Jaejin went off to look while they all sat quietly waiting. They all glanced at Sunghoon… but no one said a word.

The seconds dragged on, but then Jaejin finally came back. “… We can’t enter until the doctor is done with their tests.”

”I’ll wait for however long it takes!” said Sunghoon.

But then the entrance door slammed open. Jiwon’s parents came rushing in. Sunghoon was happy to see them, until he noticed Seyoung coming into the room after them.

"What's wrong?" Suwon asked when he saw Sunghoon's smile change.

"It's nothing."

"Who's that with Jiwon-hyung’s parents?"

"His first love." Sunghoon answered bitterly

"The first love? What is she doing here? I thought she's in Hawaii?"

Sunghoon just looked down. He wanted answers to those questions too. Her presence made Sunghoon feel ill. His heart was being torn in two thinking of the newspaper articles and the paparazzi photos. No matter how upset Sunghoon had been… Jiwon was alive… that was all that had mattered to Sunghoon these last few hours since he’d heard about the accident.

Seyoung walked towards them, heading straight for Sunghoon.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter