ELEVEN

Give Your Heart a Break

It’s a Saturday and Krystal left the hospital alone because Minho had to stay for a scheduled surgery. Before she left, she told him that she’d just stay home to be able to relax and he promised her that he’ll bring food for them so they can eat late lunch together. However, knowing that the surgery might take for long hours, she decided to eat a bit as she arrived. She plopped down on the couch with a box of corn flakes in her hand and started eating straight from the box with her other hand. She decided to switch the TV on to look for something to watch, until she found a movie that had just started. A couple of minutes into the movie, her phone beeped and upon checking, she saw a message from Minho.

Minho sent her a text that he’ll have to stay in the hospital and doesn’t know what time he’ll be able to leave because he had to perform an emergency surgery. He apologized to her and told her that he will try to be home in time for Church or if not, he’d just buy take out for dinner. Before he kept his phone, he received a reply and surprised to see how quick Krystal was. She told him that it was fine and that she understands.

 

At home, she switched the TV off after watching the movie, then went to the pantry to put the cereal box in its proper place. She went upstairs and went to the bathroom for a half bath before changing into her loungewear. She got  a book, then went downstairs and sat lazily on the couch with her phone right beside her. Sure, it was quiet at home like always and they don’t really talk much, but she was a bit not used to not having him around. As she was reading, she looked up from the other side of the couch, then at the clock to check the time. She was already sure that they’ll be missing Church tonight, though there was still about an hour before it starts. She checked her phone to see if she received any messages from him, but there was none. It didn’t take long until she felt her eyelids getting heavier, but she tried to fight it until she could just give in.

 

Minho parked the car and checked the time on his watch before he sighed as they really did miss out on Church. Luckily, he was able to grab dinner for both of them because he already expected that he won’t make it in time for dinner. When he texted Krystal to inform her that he’ll buy dinner for them, he received no reply. Again, when he texted her and asked her to wait for him, there was still none. He started to overthink that maybe she’s mad at him, but a part of him also told him that she isn’t because she understands the situation. To make it up to her, he got take out from her favorite restaurant. 

As he pressed the security code, the only thing that welcomed him was silence. He walked to the living room and found he asleep on the couch in a seated position with her head resting at the backrest and her book slipping away from her hold as it rests on her lap. His lips curved up a bit and formed a small smile before walking to her. He placed the paper bag on the coffee table before removing the book in her hand and waking her.

“Krystal.” He repeatedly tapped her arm to wake her, and after just a few tries, she finally opened her eyes.

She held her nape as she slowly lifted her head from the backrest and her eyebrows were furrowed in the middle. “Hi,” she greeted him in almost a whisper.

As he saw her in an uncomfortable state, he started massaging her nape to ease the strain. “Hi,” he replied with a small smile before returning in his concerned mode. “Does your nape hurt a lot?”

She shook her head with her eyes half closed, as she was still adjusting to the light, and the edges of her lips curled up. “It’ll be gone, don’t worry. It’s just strained from my sleeping position, that’s all.” As she fully opened her eyes, she pulled his hand away from her nape and checked the time on his watch. “You just arrived?”

“About five minutes ago, yeah.”

“I feel much better now, thank you.” A tiny smiled formed on her face, then she suddenly remembered that she had to cook.

Minho held her wrist when he saw her abruptly get up with widened eyes, showing a hint of panic. “Where are you going?”

“I’m gonna make dinner.”

“There’s no need for that.” He grabbed the paper bag from the table then raised it to show her. “I texted you, but you were asleep. I got food from your favorite place.” He smiled at her, then asked her to sit. He took the contents of the paper bag out and handed out her food first before he got his. “Eat up.”

She nodded and thanked him. She felt so happy when she had a bite of her favorite salad wrap, then looked at him. “Thank you so much for this, Minho.”

“No worries.”

“Also, I’m sorry.”

He stopped himself from taking another bite of his food, then looked at her. “What, why?”

“Well, you see- you’re already tired and I was supposed to make dinner, but I fell asleep instead-“

“It’s fine,” he chuckled as he patted her hair. “We thought we’ll be having our usual Saturday schedule, so there’s nothing to be sorry about.”

As they ate dinner while watching TV, Minho quickly finished his food. Krystal noticed how fast he ate, then decided to to give him the other half of her salad wrap because she was already full.

“Here.”

“It’s fine, just eat.” He smiled at her before looking back at the TV.

“You’re the one who should eat. Don’t worry about me. I almost finished another box of corn flakes. I’m already full and I don’t think I’ll be able to eat the other half.”

“You sure,” he asked her while looking worried.

She nodded and placed the wrap in his hands. “Very.”

“Thank you.”

Since she was the first one to finish, she went to get a glass of water for him, then checked her phone as she sat. “Oh, yeah, you texted while I was asleep.”

He placed the wrapper in the paper bag, then thanked her before drinking his water. He slouched on the couch and used the backrest to support his head. He looked at the ceiling before closing his eyes. “So, what did you do while waiting?”

“The usual. I watched TV first, then went to get a book, then I fell asleep. Not much happened with the patients, even. What about you, how are you?”

“I’m fine.” His manner of speaking started to become slurry.

As she heard him, she pushed her back away from the backrest and looked at him. His eyes were closed, while his breathing started to become steady as he rested his head on the backrest. “Just lie down on the couch. You’ll strain your neck.” She stood up to move to the chair and made herself comfortable.

He opened his eyes and placed his head in a n upright position to look at her. “You don’t even practice what you preach.” He chuckled before looking at the TV.

She rolled her eyes, then just studied his face. “Minho, why don’t you just go up and rest? You look really tired. You have froggy eyes now.”

He really was trying to fight his tiredness, but she could see how tired he really felt. “Okay, in a bit.” He just wanted to stay downstairs and accompany her even if he didn’t care about the program.

“You don’t even want to watch. It’s fine, I don’t like to watch, too.”

“But you’ll be by yourself again.”

“No, you’re already here. Besides, I’m going upstairs now. If I were you, I’d just go up now so I can sleep without disruptions.”

“If I fall asleep here I can just wake up, then wash up and go to sleep in my room.”

“That’s my point. Just go.” She opened her book to read the last few lines before she retreated upstairs. “It’s not like I could carry you,” she murmured.

He smiled when she heard her soft murmur that wasn’t soft enough for him to not understand and hear. “Yep, you’re lucky I can carry you.”

Her eyes widened as she looked at him. “Eavesdropper.”

“How can I eavesdrop when we’re talking?”

“Not that part, though.”

“I just have great listening skills.” He chuckled, but he was clearly tired. His face and eyes said it all. Slowly, he got up from the couch to retreat to his bedroom. “I’ll head up now. Good night,” he greeted her before he ruffled her hair.

“Yah!” She hit his arm with a book before slightly pushing him. She hates it when her hair gets ruined. “Sorry,” she said to him when she remembered how sorry-looking her husband was.

“It’s alright. I’m sorry, too.” He helped her fix her hair before he smiled tiredly at her. “I’ll go now.”

“Rest well.” Her lips curled up to form a gentle smile at him and watched him walk towards the staircase. She switched the TV off and make sure that everything was unplugged and switched off before she headed upstairs just a few minutes after he did.

 


 

Author's note: Hi everyone! I know this might be a short chapter, but trust me- you guys are in for a treat!! Lemme know what you guys think of the chapters (whoops, spoiler alert) on the comments section below!