sirens in the beat of your heart

sirens in the beat of your heart
Please log in to read the full chapter

sirens in the beat of your heart

It was the best of times, the worst of crimes

 

-

 

A pair of keys soar through the air, carving out an arc against the purpling sky. A fist closes around them, snatching them from out of the air.

“You know the drill.”

She nods once, a subtle tilt of her head and in return, receives one of her own. An exchange made, a price agreed.

“Don’t get a scratch on my ride.”

“When have I ever?” comes the amused reply, the corner of her lip twitching upwards at the ridiculous notion.

“Touché.”

 

-

 

She leans languidly against her ride, legs crossed at the ankles and hands buried in the pockets of her trousers, cutting an inconspicuous figure amongst the assortment of people—albeit important people—milling around the area. She seems nonchalant, bored even by her company, unintimidated by the fast cars they drove, the expensive jewellery or designer brands that they adorned. She cares not for these ostentatious displays of wealth but rather, wonders if their wealth served as an armour of sorts, hiding their flaws and identities behind the bright shimmer of diamonds, an impenetrable barrier to outside eyes. As she mulls over this thought, she decides they might have something in common after all.

Her lips quirk, curving into an amused smile.

Though everything about her seemed lax and uncaring, her eyes are bright and sharp, scanning the crowd, darting back and forth, resting her attention of each one of them long enough to confirm their identity before moving on to the next.

Glancing down at the watch upon her wrist, she notes that she is early.

(She always is.)

Half an hour has passed since she’d first gotten here, but it didn’t matter, she was patient—in her line of work, she has to be.

The second-hand ticks steadily, sweeping across the white clock face that is etched at logical intervals with black bars. Although it was part of the requirements, she would’ve worn one anyway, she enjoys the simplicity of an analogue watch too much.

Her attention returns to the crowd, and finally spots the individual she’s been waiting for.

Kicking off the side of the sleek Maserati, she tilts her neck from side to side and rolls her shoulders, stretching out the sluggishness that had gathered there from her idleness. Fingers slide down the front of her tailored suit, gliding across expensive fabric and smoothing out its creases.

It was time.

 

-

 

Two bodies collide. An arm slides around a slim waist, whilst slender hands grip at the lapels of her jacket in return. The two of them, entangled like a pair of dancers, frozen in the final pose—as though entangled in a choreographed dip.

“You should be more careful.”

Dark cat-like eyes regard her with care. She feels as though she was staring into the night star, full of a dark alluring mysteriousness, filled with secrets she will never understand or be privy to. The woman’s perfume, something with floral undertones and no doubt expensive, permeates the small space between them, leaving her strangely light-headed.

“I should.” The woman’s gaze dips, glancing at the watch strapped on her wrist, then back to her own eyes again. Something flickers in their depths, an acknowledgement of her identity, like the exchanging of a secret. “You have good taste.”

“Then we’re a match.” She says as her gaze finds a watch of the same model and brand strapped around the woman’s wrist, and as cheesy as the line was, it is to be repeated word for word—another requirement.

“So, you’re my date for tonight—Taeyeon, right?”

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Jessica.”

The corner of the other woman’s lip twitches, and she steps back, but not before pressing her palms to the front of the Taeyeon’s suit jacket, straightening her lapels and smoothing away the creases that had marred the fabric from where her hands had been twisted in moments prior.

Jessica arches a questioning eyebrow, “Oh? You know me?”

Taeyeon doesn’t answer immediately, instead opting to hold out her arm, bent at the elbow and offering it to Jessica. Without missing a beat, Jessica gracefully slips her hand under Taeyeon’s arm, and loops their arms together. The action is natural, smooth and it feels familiar even though it shouldn’t have. They are strangers, yet they move together as though they had rehearsed these steps before, fluid in the movements of this well-practiced dance.

They blend amongst the crowd, slowly filing into the great hall. It is an annual party of sorts, a congregation of the nation’s wealthiest invited by an exclusive society. The night promised an opportunity to socialise, meet other high profiled individuals and of course the chance to purchase highly sought-after items of immeasurable value.

“Who doesn’t know you.” Taeyeon says finally, when they stop to listen to the opening address to the attendees, making sure to lean close enough to whisper the syllables against the shell of Jessica’s ear. She knows it’s achieved it’s intended effect when she sees a shiver run its course down Jessica’s spine.

Jessica’s long silky hair falls over a bare shoulder as she turns her head and fixes Taeyeon with a coy smile; though the rest of her expression, like cards held close to her chest, remained unreadable.

Taeyeon hides a grin. Jessica is indeed as interesting as they’d said.

Dressed in a fitted black off-the-shoulder dress, Jessica effortlessly embodies everything that this party was, fitting right in. She reminds Taeyeon of a diamond, timeless, expensive and extremely desirable—except her eyes gleamed brighter than any of the precious gems on display, ones that Jessica were no doubt, intimately familiar with.

“You’re giving me too much credit.”

Or maybe not enough, Taeyeon muses to herself, following as Jessica led the way, threading through the crowd with a practiced ease, her palm warm against Taeyeon's. There was something mysteriously alluring, inherently dangerous about the woman and her awareness of this fact ignited Taeyeon’s senses, sending them into overdrive. Her instincts of self-preservation were telling her to stay as far away as possible, yet her duty and obligation to her occupation kept her close.

Seven teams covering the floor. Camera installations at frequent intervals. Three exits.

Jessica plucks two champagne glasses off a tray, shooting a waiter a gracious smile that leaves him a stuttering, blushing mess and pushes one of the glasses into Taeyeon’s hand, breaking her from her observations.

"You're thinking too much. It's distracting."

“Do you always drink on the job?” Taeyeon asks, after letting the golden hued liquid smoothly slide over her tongue and down the back of .

“Just starting the celebration early.” Jessica replies easily, her lips finding the glass again. “Go enjoy the party, leave the rest to me. I'll find you after I'm done."

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with?"

Jessica shoots her an incredulous look, as though she was almost insulted by the suggestion.

"I only asked for a chauffeur."

Taeyeon shrugs, feigning nonchalance, though she wondered if she'd set herself back with the question. Jessica's expressions were tighter now, more refined, her true intentions hidden behind a reticent mask.

Trust was hard to come by, and money could only buy loyalty only if you remained the winning bid outright.

"Got it." Taeyeon says, nodding slowly.

"Good." Jessica says, before handing Taeyeon her champagne glass and turning to walk away, slipping into the crowd.

Taeyeon takes one more sip of the expensive champagne, before passing both their glasses off to a waiter.

All she could do now was wait.

 

-

 

When almost two hours passes and Taeyeon is getting bored of making small talk with people she frankly had no interest in, she decides that Jessica shouldn’t be the only one having all the fun. She waits another five minutes. Jessica doesn’t show up unsurprisingly and Taeyeon decides to seek out instead of being sought out.

This was still in her job description, she reasons.

Slipping past the guards was too easy, she knew Jessica probably had done the same hours ago.

Ascending the stairs and walking down the long corridors, she leaves behind the mindless chatter, the sounds of conversation gradually dying down into faint whispers.

The sheer size of the building meant that Jessica would be in theory hard to locate, and Taeyeon would be more than likely to run into wandering security, personally escorting items from where they'd been temporarily stored into the great hall for auctioning. It’s Jessica that finds her first, the cold metal muzzle of Jessica's gun kissing her temple in an impersonal greeting.

Taeyeon curses at herself for being so preoccupied with navigating the hallways that she had allowed herself to be ambushed. Feeling her blood run cold, she freezes up. From what she’s been told—and she’s been told a lot—about Jessica, she had no problem pulling the trigger, especially if she deemed Taeyeon a threat.

"What are you doing?" Jessica questions coldly, voice hard and unrelentingly demanding.

"Looking for you."

"Why?"

"I missed you—you were gone for too long."

The gun lifts from her temple, the slit in her dress parts to reveal the smooth milky skin of Jessica's legs, and the gun is slotted back into the holster hidden from view. Taeyeon knows the action shouldn't have been as attractive as it is.

"You have a sense of humour, Taeyeon. What if you'd come across security?"

"I'd just say I was looking for a fancy toilet."

Jessica actually laughs at this. The sound is awfully melodic, pleasing to her ears and Taeyeon has to remind herself that this was same woman that had held her at gunpoint moments earlier.

"You're an idiot."

Taeyeon has had several near-death experiences, but none had made her heart race like this, hammering the insides of her ribcage with its thumping; yet for some reason, she had never felt more alive. She tries to count her breaths, attempting to slow the breakneck pace at which her heart ran on at, reasoning that the juxtaposition between life and death must have heightened the thrill.

"Are you good to go?"

Jessica nods.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps accompanied by the crackling of voice through a radio alerts them to the compromising position they were about to be found in. The security must have finally been made aware of the malfunctioning cameras in this section of the building.

They didn’t have much time.

“A standard unit has six guards. I can’t take out that many by myself.” Jessica says, frowning and slowly reaches for her gun. “Not without casualties.”

Taeyeon’s eyes widen at the implication and she pushes forward, closing the distance between them and hastily places her hand on Jessica’s halting her movements.

“Good thing you’re not by yourself then.” Jessica’s gaze flickers down her where Taeyeon’s hand was still covering hers.

“What?”

Taeyeon has no time to respond. Six suited men, all stocky in their build, round the corner, eyes zeroing in on the two of them. They halt a metre away, one of them, presumably their leader steps forward.

“What are the two of you doing in a restricted area?”

“My girlfriend and I were looking for a place to…” Taeyeon deliberately brings an arm to scratch at the back of her neck, looking sheepish. “Sorry, we didn’t know.”

The man seemed to be convinced by the mortified, almost indignant look that spread across Jessica’s face, at Taeyeon lie. Jessica’s eyes sharpen, sending a glare in Taeyeon’s direction, though she remains mute and ducks her head, playing the role of the blushing maiden.

“Consider this a warning. We will you to the main hall.”

They exchange glances, nodding subtly at each other, and fall into step behind the waiting unit. Jessica reaches out, gently touching the inside of Taeyeon's forearm, before sliding her hand down to lacing their fingers together, her touch leaving a trail of goosebumps in its wake. Taeyeon doesn’t let it bother her, it shouldn’t, this charade of girlfriends was her idea anyway, and if anything, Jessica was just keeping up the pretence, cementing their alibi.

When Taeyeon catches Jessica’s gaze, she raises her eyebrows, and Jessica looks away, hiding a smile. They were literally walking right out of danger, and being escorted too.

Except, things never go the way they expect.

“Lockdown. Security compromised. Item missing. Apprehend all suspicious persons.”

The leader’s radio crackles, then jumping to life, transmitting an urgent message.

The entire team having gone rigid at the first word immediately turn to face the two women.

“We’re taking you to a holding room. Precautions.” Says the leader.

Jessica’s hold on her hand tightens briefly.

Taeyeon's mind races, but she can only foresee one solution to this current predicament. There was no way she should continue to let the men them to the holding room. If they did, neither of them will be able to freely walk out of the establishment (and Taeyeon will not get paid).

Jessica’s mouth pulls into a thin line. It seems she has come to the same conclusion.

Tension blankets the two of them, the revelation setting them on edge.

It’s Jessica that makes the first move, pulling her hand away out of Taeyeon’s grip. Her fingers curl into a hard fist, flying through the air to land with a dull thud against the nearest man’s face. He stumbles back, doubling over and clutching at his face. She follows up with a swift blow to the back of his head and he falls like log.

By then, the rest of the men had recovered from their shock. They wide eyes and gaping mouths morphing into grim looks, guarded stances and closed fists.

"Don't let them get away!"

The roles they were playing are shed with ease, slipping into skins they were well accustomed to in their daily lives.

A fist contacts empty air, exactly where her head had been seconds ago and Taeyeon ducks again, deflecting a punch in the process. She clenches her teeth as she feels the bruise beginning to form.

"A warning would be nice, Jessica."

"Sure, whatever..." Jessica responds, her elbow driving into one of the men's stomach. "At your nine o'clock, Taeyeon."

"Thanks." Taeyeon says dryly, evading the man's poorly coordinated attack, which left his front exposed. With a feint, another deflected blow and an uppercut, Taeyeon takes him out. "I had him already."

Another guard fills the space of his fallen teammate, rushing at her with the intention of tackling her to the floor.

She spins to the left evasively, before crouching down and sweeping her leg, destabilising him. The guard stumbles and seeing the opportunity, Taeyeon immediately jumps on him, using her weight to keep him on the ground as she delivers calculated blows to his exposed torso, neck and face.

He, like his two comrades, falls unconscious.

When she looks to Jessica, she finds her facing off with the last remaining guard, who happens to coincidentally be the leader. Eyeing them apprehensively, he makes the decision to cautiously back away, trying to stall for time now that the odds weren't in his favour. There was no doubt that backup was on the way.

Taeyeon drops her stance, shoulders relaxing and fists uncurling.

"He's all yours, I'm not getting paid enough for this."

Jessica shoots her a dirty look.

"You've got to be kidding me."

And instead of chasing after the retreating guard, Jessica stalks, almost angrily, away in the opposite direction, heading back towards to the main exit.

"You're just going to let him get away?" Taeyeon calls out at Jessica's retreating back, jogging the other woman to catch up.

"It'll make your job later harder." Jessica says when Taeyeon sidles up beside her a few seconds later.

"What the hell? You're crazy!"

Stopping abruptly, Jessica studies her with an amused expression, lips curled into a semblance of a smirk. The clarity in her eyes takes Taeyeon off guard, leaving her feeling exposed, as though she was privy the secrets hidden in the depths of Taeyeon's mind.

"You like it." She says bluntly, then pushes forward again, leaving Taeyeon stunned and mouth agape, rooted to the spot.

. She's right.

 

-

 

She's mildly annoyed at Jessica.

Taeyeon checks her rear-view mirror, finding five cars tailing them and is sure that there were only that many courtesy of Jessica's little antic of letting that security guard go. She views them more of an inconvenience than an extra level of difficulty like Jessica had claimed.

The flashing reds and blues cast an eerie glow on the interior of the car, stretching long shadows over the plains of their faces, and lending them a ghastly appearance.

Sirens cut through the air, signalling an urgency that precedes their arrival, traffic slowing to a premediated stop. It both helped and hindered the pursuers, as the slowed traffic allows Taeyeon to weave in and out between cars, leading the tailing vehicles on a wild goose chase.

One by one, the numbers dwindle down, unable to follow the movements of the Maserati—their getaway car for tonight.

Beside her, Jessica seems unfazed by the high-speed manoeuvres Taeyeon is doing, unworried that they will be caught and instead opting to admire the massive gem she'd managed to acquire through tonight's events.

"Are you having fun, Taeyeon?"

"As much as you are." Taeyeon deadpans, as she brakes then accelerating, drifting around a sharp corner. Her every move remains calculated and completed to perfection. It has to be, because the margin of error, the difference between a wreck and a turn, existed within the realm of milliseconds.

"That's the last of them." Jessica comments casually, surprising Taeyeon with the fact that she'd been counting. This time, Jessica turns back to watch the car tumble and flip over itself, the driver having overcompensated on the turn.

"Where to now?" Taeyeon says, slowing down, blending in as they merged into local traffic, opting to remain as discreet as possible now that they had lost their pursuers.

Jessica's striking profile is beautiful even in the soft glow of the evening light.

"Anywhere, just keep driving."

Without a destination in mind, Taeyeon takes them onto a state highway, cruising towards the border, heading somewhere yet nowhere at the same time.

 

-

 

Bright white fluorescent lights shine upon her face and she resists the urge to shield her eyes. Instead, she sits ramrod straight in her seat, eyes forward and attentive.

"So, you made contact with the target... You know the endgame, right?"

The voice is deep and gravelly, holding the weight of authority. The man sitting across from her in the leather backed chair steeps his fingers, eyes boring into her own with a serious intensity.

"Yes, I am aware of it, sir."

"Good, don't disappoint me, Agent."

His tone lets her know she's been dismissed. Efficiency had always been his mode of operation.

 

-

 

Taeyeon exits the small confined space of the elevator and enters a large underground garage. The open space was reminiscent of an aircraft hangar, th

Please log in to read the full chapter