JET LAG

Jet Lag

~*~*~

What time is it where you are?

I miss you more than anything

Back at home you feel so far

Waiting for the phone to ring

Daehyun let out a heavy sigh as he held the script in his hands. He skimmed through it once again, hoping he could memorize his lines, but to no avail. In frustration, he threw his script onto the desk and rubbed his temple.

He was in California, to visit his parents and to take a few enrichment acting courses his company had signed him up for, hoping he could expand into the American film industry.

But the thing was, he could barely concentrate with a certain man intruding his thoughts and heart at every second.

"Daehyun, are you alright?" His mentor sat by his side, smiling. Daehyun returned the smile with a few English words and the man left, leaving Daehyun to breathe out another exasperated sigh, clapsing his hands together as he leaned forward, elbows propped on his knees.

He closed his eyes and thought of the man who was waiting for him back in Seoul.

"Youngjae..." He felt another flicker of light in his mind as another image of his smiling, gorgeous lover surfaced and he sighed, looking away.

Feeling a sharp pang in his heart, he wondered if time could fast forward, anything for him to reach home earlier to see Youngjae.

Sighing again, he leaned backwards and glanced at the clock and did a mental calculation of what time it was in Seoul.

"I miss you more than anything."

~

Youngjae smiled softly as he went around doing his daily chores in the house. As he placed the laundry basket off his lap, picking out the clothes and folding them, he sighed as he came across Daehyun's favorite blazer.

Small fingers gently caressing the soft fabric, he wondered what Daehyun was doing now, whether Daehyun was thinking of him too, but he'd probably never admit it that he was thinking of Daehyun, being the stubborn man he was.

His heart ached and he brought the blazer up to his lips and kissed it gently, breathing in the lingering scent of Daehyun mixed with bleach.

And his hand gripped on the handphone in his pocket, keeping it there just in case he missed the ringing tone, waiting hopefully for Daehyun to call.

~*~*~

It's getting lonely living upside down
I don't even wanna be in this town
Trying to figure out the time zones' making me crazy

Daehyun sat with his mentors and other trainees as they ate, conversing rather well since he was generally fluent enough in English.

As he looked across the dimly-lit grand restaurant, he noticed a few couples-

Daehyun sighed. Glancing over his talking mentor's shoulder, he pressed his lips together as he saw the nearest couple hold hands across the table.

"I'd...like to excuse myself." Daehyun rose from the table and bowed respectfully, and the mentors waved as he left the restaurant.

He sauntered out of the restaurant and angrily dragged his briefcase along, neon lights of the numerous buildings lighting up the starry night.

"Damn it, I don't even wanna be in this town." He cursed under his breath, garnering quizzical looks from the passers-by as he stepped into the lift.

Daehyun threw himself onto the hotel bed, willing himself to go to bed. He was still in his suit and he tugged at his tie, breathing more freely. His stack of scripts and notes was scattered around the bed, and the room was a complete mess.

"It's 10..." Daehyun murmured as he looked at the clock, and counted the time it would be in Seoul, before he groaned.

Figuring out their time zones were a headache, and Daehyun rubbed his temple.

He closed his eyes and hoped he would dream about his lover, and told himself tomorrow would be another day closer to see Youngjae.

~*~*~

You say good morning

When it's midnight

Going out of my head

Alone in this bed

"Good morning," Youngjae whispered softly over the phone, happy that Daehyun had picked up.

Daehyun smiled to hear that husky voice he had missed so much. His eyelids were heavily drooping, and he glanced up at his wrist watch on the bedside table.

"It's midnight here..." Daehyun whispered to himself, and when he heard the curious hum he said a "nothing", a small smile he knew Youngjae could sense.

He laughed as Youngjae recounted his day with the bandmates, of how Jongup had been sitting beside him while he was sleeping, reciting Pokemon names, of how Junhong had gotten overly excited for the newly opened aquarium, of how...

Youngjae's melodious voice was like a lullaby, and he felt his resistance slipping as he drifted in and out of his sleeping trance, determined to stay up for his lover.

"Daehyun, go to sleep, alright?" Youngjae whispered softly and Daehyun's eyes turned forlorn, his low voice emitting a gentle growl to signal his unwillingness.

"You've worked so hard, go get some rest. I'll call you some other time, okay?" Youngjae's voice easily masked his sadness but he knew Daehyun was the only one who could see through him.

"But-" Daehyun's low voice sent a small shudder down the length of Youngjae's spine and he cut in, "No, Daehyun, you need sleep."

Daehyun's protesting whine was followed by a chuckle from Youngjae, who twirled with the edge of his shirt and smiled softly.

"I love you, Daehyun."

"I love you more, Youngjae." Daehyun smiled and Youngjae's cheeks tinted red, and he wondered where the actor got the energy to be so corny all the time.

"Will you sing to me?" Daehyun asked, eyes closed as he smiled at the soft voice that whispered back an affirmation. He patted the empty space beside him, and envisioned Youngjae sitting there, cuddling into his chest.

What time is it where you are?
I miss you more than anything
Back at home you feel so far
Waiting for the phone to ring

Youngjae broke out into a soft chorus of Simple Plan's Jet Lag, and he knew the hidden meaning it conveyed, letting himself lean back comfortably into the pillow.

"I miss you more than anything..." Youngjae sang as he heard Daehyun's breathing even out and a small thud, probably the phone falling on the bed beside his lover's head.

"Come back soon, Daehyun." Youngjae indulged himself in the familiar, gruff breathing of Daehyun before reluctantly disconnecting the call.

"I miss you so much."

~*~*~

I wake up to your sunset

It's driving me mad

I miss you so bad

And my heart heart heart is so jet lagged


"Good morning."

Daehyun smiled as he heard Youngjae's chuckle over the phone, him buttoning up his dress shirt and pulling at the cuffs as he pressed the phone between his shoulder and face.

"It's evening here, Daehyun." The amused voice tickled his ear as he felt that yearning for Youngjae to be by his side build up heavily, emotions nearly spilling at the brim.

"How's everything back home?" He pulled at his tie, adjusting the tail.

"The usual, Himchan's fighting with Jongup and Yongguk’s trying to stop them from hurling food at each other." Yongguk’s deep voice could be heard through the phone, and Youngjae's sigh made Daehyun laugh heartily.

"I miss that laugh." Youngjae chuckled softly, and Daehyun felt his heart ache.

"Anyway, how's things over at your side?" Youngjae asked, his voice slightly fuzzy and jittery, crinkling with buzzes due to the unsteady connection.

His voice still sounded beautiful nonetheless.

"I-" Daehyun was cut off by Himchan's battle cry and a loud bang, and Jongup's frantic scream.

"Daehyun, I have to go-" Youngjae pulled the phone away and desperately soothed the fuming Himchan.

"I'm sorry, Daehyun." Youngjae whispered helplessly as he let out a yelp when Himchan pushed him roughy.

Daehyun didn't even get to put in a word before the line was cut off, the beeping tone echoing in his ears.

Eyes looking away in dejection, he threw his phone onto the bed angrily.

"I miss you...so bad..." Daehyun held his chest. Now he understood what people meant by heartaches, it really did hurt, both physically and mentally.

It simply drove Daehyun mad to not have Youngjae here with him, the petite man's adorable eye smile, those plump lips he'd love to kiss, that small blush his lover had whenever he said some corny pick-up line...

He glanced up at the time again.

"Guess my heart's the one that's jet lagged." Daehyun laughed to himself, a tinge of incredulity mingling with his bass voice.

~

"Oh, you two made Youngjae sad." Junhong grinned rather malevolently, little glint sparking in his eyes as Himchan's eyes softened in guilt before souring again, making a face with crossed arms.

"Now Youngjae can't talk to Daehyun, and has to clean up both of your messes." Junhong taunted, smoking when he saw the look of sorrow flashing in Himchan's large orbs.

Jongup glanced over at Youngjae, who was busy cleaning up the food that Himchan had thrown at him in a fit of anger. The shorter man was kneeling on the floor, wiping the icky food that stuck resiliently on the ground.

Jongup's lips quirked into an 'S' shape, biting his lips afterwards.

"This is all your fault!" Himchan sulked, and Jongup gaped incredulously at the older.

"I just hope Daehyun comes back soon, Youngjae's been really depressed without him." Jongup sighed.

~*~*~

What time is it where you are?

5 more days and I'll be home

I keep your picture in my car

I hate the thought of you alone

Clipping the phone between his ear and his shoulder, Youngjae looked to the clock as he listened to Daehyun talk about his life over in California.

"I wonder what time is it where you are..." Youngjae's soft whisper was inaudible to Daehyun who replied, "Sorry, what did you say?"

"Nothing, go on, dear." Youngjae hummed to himself as he listened to Daehyun's deep, soothing voice and his lips curved upwards gently.

He laughed as Daehyun recounted his encounter with a few Californian fangirls, before their laughter died away and a suffocating silence engulfed them.

"Five more days and I'll be home."

Daehyun whispered, grip tightening on his phone.

"Five more days..." Daehyun breathed, "Wait for me, alright?"

Youngjae smiled.

"I'd wait till forever just for you, Jung Daehyun."

~

"Had your breakfast?" Daehyun pelted Youngjae with worried questions as the latter smothered his laugh with his small, precious hand.

"Daehyun, it's the late afternoon here already! And yes, I've had my lunch." Youngjae chuckled as he heard Daehyun cuss lightly, supposedly dropping something in a frenzy to dress for work.

"Be safe, alright?" Youngjae heard metal clinking and imagined Daehyun struggling to hook his belt properly, and giggled.

"I will, quit worrying!" Youngjae's eyes crinkled at the edges as he readied himself to leave the house.

"Youngjae, Jin-sshi called, he asked whether you would like to go for a drink with him!" Junhong shouted, and Daehyun twitched in annoyance over the phone.

"Junhong, tell Jin I'll be there after I pick up some groceries!" Youngjae replied, and heard growling over the phone.

"And that Jin is?" Daehyun's words were sharp and filled with venom, and Youngjae amusedly raised his eyebrows.

"The one from BTS?” Youngjae laughed.

"I didn't know you two were close," came the gruff voice from the other side.

"Have you forgotten? He asked me if we wanted to be friends. Now, we’re really good friends." Youngjae teased, emphasizing 'really' for the fun of making Daehyun angry.

"Don't look at any other men till I come back!" Daehyun barked, and Youngjae couldn't hold his laughter anymore as he muffled it with his hand.

"Alright, Mr. Possessive." Youngjae rolled his eyes, a clearly entertained smile dangling on his lips.

He put down the phone and headed to his car, and smiled at the picture of Daehyun he kept in the car. Taking it into his hands, he smiled softly as he caressed Daehyun's face on the picture.

"5 more days..."

~

Daehyun unsteadily pulled up his jeans, buckle getting caught halfway as he held the phone to his ear.

"Had your breakfast?" He worriedly ask, rushing over to grab his wrist watch, pants hanging loosely unbuckled.

"Daehyun, it's the late afternoon here already! And yes, I've had my lunch."

"..." Daehyun cursed as he dropped his watch, pulling on his blazer that lead him to cut an immaculate figure...at least if the dropped pants wasn't considered.

He heard a small laughed and grinned himself. The metal loop on his belt hit the metal lamp stand, and he murmured while buckling his belt unsteadily, "Be safe, alright?"

"I will, quit worrying!" He heard the gentle tone over the phone and sighed. Thoughts of Youngjae being so lonely were tearing Daehyun apart, and he wished he could be there to take care of him, to hold him and wash away all his loneliness. If only someone would take care of his lover before he came back, he would be so relieved.

"Youngjae, Jin-sshi called, he asked whether you would like to go for a drink with him!"

Daehyun twitched. Maybe not, he thought angrily.

"Junhong, tell Jin I'll be there after I pick up some groceries!"

Daehyun growled lowly when his lover replied, jealousy consuming the older man who paced around the room, fists clenched.

"And that Jin is?" Daehyun spat.

"The one from BTS?” His lover laughed, and Daehyun frowned again.

"I didn't know you two were close," grunted Daehyun, seeing red as his jealousy clouded his mind.

"Have you forgotten? He asked me if we wanted to be friends. Now, we’re really good friends."

'Really good friends?' Daehyun thought, sullen face turning to an irate expression.

"Don't look at any other men till I come back!" Daehyun snarled, and sulked when his lover laughed.

"Alright, Mr. Possessive."

~*~*~

I've been keeping busy all the time

Just to try to keep you off my mind

Trying to figure out the time zones' making me crazy

He worked on his script day and night, willing himself to keep his lover off his mind.

And yet, he'd still find himself believing the girl he was acting with was Youngjae, because no one could compare to that man's beauty, no one at all.

And with another tired resigned sigh he let his mind wander off to think about his lover.

~

He busied himself with performances and hanging out with friends, forcing himself to keep his lover off his mind.

And yet, during every outing he and his friends had, he'd sigh silently halfway during their conversation, the pain of his lover being so far away. During every performance he'd wonder if Daehyun was watching and if Daehyun was proud of him.

What if his lover fell for those pretty California girls? What if his lover found another man? What if his lover, being the handsome, charming and attractive man that he is, finds someone who was better than himself?

Youngjae sighed at his thoughts. And with a retired breath he laid back in his chair to think about Daehyun.

~*~*~

I miss you so bad
I wanna share your horizon
And see the same sun rising
Turn the hour hand back to when you were holding me

"I miss you so bad." Youngjae murmured, holding onto the locket that Daehyun had given to him for their anniversary.

Tracing the top of the trees from his view in the dorm, he sighed,
leaning further out of the window. Propping his arm up and leaning his head onto his hand, he sighed.

"I wanna share your horizon..." He murmured as he touched the dark sky's edges with his fingers, drawing the line across.

He caught a glimpse of the sun peeking out from beneath the hills and smiled. It was breathtaking to see the sun rise gracefully, letting the earth bask in its warmth and light rays.

"And see the same sun rising..." He whispered, turning to look at the clock. How long ago had it been since Daehyun had held him? If only he could turn back the clock to the hour where he had snuggled up to Daehyun's chest, feeling so safe in his embrace, so warm, so loved...

"It must be night over there..." Youngjae bit his lip.

"I'm not even away from home and yet my heart's feeling jet lagged..." Youngjae laughed, wiping the tear that had streaked down his cheek.

"The things you do to me, Jung Daehyun," a soft sigh and a genuine smile, "the things you do to me."

~*~*~

The lovers felt the pain of being separated mutually, minds and hearts locked away with the other.

And perhaps it was right to say time could never separate them.

As the eager man rushed over to the airport, frowning upsettedly at their lack of enthusiasm and hushing everyone into the van.

As Daehyun sat nervously in the plane, heart palpitating wildly to see his closest friends and his lover once more, sipping softy at the vodka he had ordered, fingers drumming a constant rhythm on the fold-in table. His overly jet lagged heart might finally come to rest when he sees his lover.

The man who had refused to listen to the whines of "his flight doesn't land in another three hours!" and the irritated glares castes in his direction.

And as the clock ticked, ticked down to the second where they would finally meet, both of them felt their jet lagged hearts bursting with excitement and happiness.

And as the plan touched down, Daehyun pulled his suitcase smoothly down the aisle, and counted his footsteps from the plane to Youngjae. Every step represented the countdown for his jet lagged heart, for him to meet his lover.

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5..." His long strides only adorned his manly figure as he pulled his suitcase cooly along. Confused looks were sent in his direction as he hung his head low, concentrating on his dress shoes that tapped the white floor.

"8, 9, 10, 11..." He spotted a pair of familiar slightly tattered Converse sneakers in sight and a bright smile graced his lips.

"12, 13, 14, 15." He smiled as he lifted his head to meet his shorter lover, looking up slightly and smiling at him.

And he leaned in, pressing his lips on the man who's sweet taste he had yearned for so much, the man who he had missed so excruciatingly painfully, the man who had locked his heart away and made him crazy for this period of time.

And their lips were a perfect combination, a subtle, sweet and loving kiss that made their hearts burst with everything they wanted to say, the amount of "I love you"s and "I miss you"s they were dying to say, all sealed and understood with a kiss that appeased their jet lagged hearts.

And as they parted, Daehyun looking down at the man who had a dazed expression, a light blush painting his face, Youngjae smiled, red plump lips quirking into a soft, gentle smile.

"Welcome home, Daehyun."

~*~*~

 

You say good morning

When it's midnight

Going out of my head

Alone in this bed

I wake up to your sunset

It's drivin me mad

I miss you so bad

And my heart heart heart is so jet lagged

Heart heart heart is so jet lagged

Heart heart heart is so jet lagged, is so jet lagged.


 

~*~*~

End