pretty stranger

Messy streaks of colour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   She doesn’t actually know how she got dragged into another party this soon, but she’s pressed against the wall of Tzuyu’s rather cramped dormitory with way too many bodies brushing past her and wishing she was anywhere but here to be perfectly honest. She really needed to learn how to put her foot down when Chae pinned her with those puppy dog eyes. If she wasn’t such a pushover she could be at home finishing the last three episodes of stranger things and devouring whatever take-out would deliver to her the fastest.

  But no, she was here, in the sweaty confines of a college assigned dormitory that she swore she would never set foot in again after first year, watching some football player taking body shots like a pro while some unfamiliar club track reverberated off the walls. She tipped back the rest of whatever bitter, tangy alcohol was in her cup and tossed it in the nearest trash can before letting herself survey the room.

  It was a communal dorm, which was at least marginally better than the cramped room she’d been given, which meant there was one large communal area with a series of bedrooms attached around the edges. She actually slightly envied these kids for managing to obtain a dorm like this, at least they had the privacy of having their own bedroom. She spared a quick thought for tragic, first year Momo who spent the entire year tip-toeing around her irate room mate and looked to the doorway (totally not in the plan of an escape, or anything) to see even more people streaming in from the neighbouring dorms. The party had already bled out into the hallway and even into the dorm next door, who thankfully appeared to be a friend of Tzuyu’s so they didn’t mind much, but the heart of the party was well and truly centered around the throbbing sound system blasting from the kitchen table. Momo had wondered briefly if the RA would come and break up this totally-not-sanctioned gathering anytime soon, but then she saw the beautiful older girl replacing the football player from earlier in the body shot challenge and her dreams of being able to go home were quashed with each and every shot sliding down her neck.

  It wasn’t even like it was just another random party either. No, it was one of Tzuyu’s roommates twenty first ing birthday, so the celebrations were peaking to a level that Momo didn’t think entirely possible. The overall, feel good buzz of the other students was starting to get to Momo however, so she pushed herself away from the wall and set off to push through the crowd to find another drink. She might as well take advantage of the free alcohol and celebrate for this girl that she’d never met, right?

 

  Two hours and more shots (and propositions) than she’d care to admit, Momo found herself fumbling along the wall for a door and a door handle that would hopefully lead her to the bathroom. She stumbled over a stray cup, scowling at the offending object before returning her full attention to her plight for relief. The party had slowly began to wind down not long ago, and in the time she’d been drinking Momo had successfully been named body shot queen (take that Nayeon) and had successfully mocked Chaeng’s determined efforts to woo Tzuyu on at least five separate occasions tonight alone. She was quite proud, if she did say so herself. She’d probably have to keep an eye on her valuables for the next few weeks because the look on Chae’s face promised some sort of retribution, but for now it was worth it.

  She thinks that Tzuyu said the bathroom was the fourth door on the left. Or maybe she said the third. Either way she was gonna try the handle of each and every door until she succeeded. The first two doors didn’t budge, but the third door popped open with a surprising ease and Momo slid in victoriously, pressing against the door without looking inside first. She turned around expecting to see the object of her desires, a toilet hopefully, but instead saw a mildly confused face of a girl staring at her in the reflection of her mirror.

  Okay, this definitely wasn’t the bathroom.

  She was about to apologise, because she absolutely should not have just drunkenly stumbled into a stranger’s bedroom during a party, but the face in the mirror lit up in recognition and the girl turned around, face bright and welcoming.

  “Hi.”

  “Hi?” Momo replied, reaching behind her to find the doorknob. The girl leaned forward on the back of her chair, lips pursing into a pout.

  “You never called me, you know.”

  Blinding recognition shot through Momo’s alcohol hazed mind along with moderate disbelief that she didn’t immediately recognise the beautiful face in front of her. She smiled sheepishly. She pulls her phone out of her pocket, waving it meekly.

  “I have it saved. Your number.” She adds, taking note of the coy expression the girl levelled at her.

  “And what do you have it saved under?” She asks t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter