Chapter 6

Stigma of Sigma

“Hey, can I use your computer?” Jungyoon asked as soon as everyone walked into the foyer of the dorm.

She immediately discarded her long coat on a couch, and glanced over to her brother, who just finished taking off his shoes. She didn’t know who to ask for permission since the computers were in the living room – they probably didn’t have enough a room dedicated for a studio so its various equipment, including four computers, were in one part of the living room.

“Uh, sure.” Namjoon answered confusingly after he exchanged a glance with other members.

She flashed a grateful smile at their direction, and two computers that were next to one another. As she waited for the screens to load, she flexed her fingers and neck before she sat down on a comfortable office chair.

“So, what are you going to do?” Her brother asked in a puzzle tone.

She glanced over to his direction, noticing that he was hovering behind the chair to look at the monitors. She felt more presences around her, and she didn’t have to look at their direction to know that other members were just as curious. Jungyoon supposed they would be, considering she practically left them in the dark after what happened at the venue and in the van.

“The most boring aspect of being a detective.” She answered as she tied her hair into a high ponytail. “Tracking the bastard who dared to attack us. My teammates, Takuto, Karel, and Senna, usually does it for me… but they’re busy with some things. With Karel out of commission for a while from an ambush, they have their hands full – that’s why, I told them I’ll handle this myself. It’s not like I don’t know what to do. It’s just bothersome and boring... like paperwork. I hate that too.”

“How are you going to track it from here?” Yoongi questioned with a brow raised. “Wait a minute. You’re a hacker?”

“No, that’s Takuto and Karel. But I do know some basics – it was part of general studies.” Jungyoon laughed at his baffled expressions. She had a feeling he was inwardly questioning what kind of school have Hacking 101 as part of general studies, but didn't want to ask out loud. “The things I love about being here are how fast internet is, and how there’s CCTVs everywhere. Makes my job easier.”

"So, that's how you were able to get to our fan meeting that day!" Jimin exclaimed in realization, and then uttered an apology when he accidentally derailed the conversation. 

“Do you know who you’re looking for?” Jungkook asked curiously with his head tilted.

She hummed in response as she pulled up a command prompt and began typing, “I do have the profile of who I’m looking for. I’ll most likely finish before dinner, so why don’t you lot go wash up? You lot stink.”

“We can tell when we’re not wanted.” Her brother pouted and huffed as he walked away.

.

.

Jungkook walked into the living room with a towel hanging around his neck while he halfheartedly dried his hair. He was the last person to shower, despite having multiple bathrooms and fighting for it, so he was curious if his sister was still sitting in front of the computers. It had been nearly half an hour since he and his group members left her there.

He blinked in surprised when he saw Jungyoon spinning slowly in her seat with her gaze fixated on the ceiling. The contemplative expression on her face stopped him from commenting on her unusual behavior, but he was curious about her action. Besides, he had some things he wanted to ask her, and he doesn’t know if she was willing to answer – he hoped she would since she had earlier.

“So, did you figure out who was behind the attack?” He asked curiously, making his presence known.

He looked at the two monitors she was using to try to decipher what she was doing. However, he only saw the desktop – which happened to be an array of pictures of Chimmy (he had a feeling Jimin changed it last night because it used to be pictures of Cooky) – and there weren’t any opened windows to give him hints.

“Of course.” Jungyoon answered with a confident smirk that left him stunned for a moment.

He couldn’t believe that she managed to track their attacker in that short time. He wanted to know how she did it, but he knew that she wouldn’t reveal that no matter how much he asked. Moreover, he had a feeling that she finished much earlier if the way she was idling in his computer chair (gaming chair, if he wanted to be technical) was anything to go by.

“Did you…?” He trailed off, not knowing how to continue the question without trying to sound like an overbearing sibling.

She looked at him in puzzled momentarily, and then chuckled in realization when she understood his inquiry, “I don’t need to use Savant Syndrome for something as simple as this, Jungkook.”

“So, what are you going to do now?” Jungkook watched as she stood up from her seat, and wordlessly stretched her limbs.

He didn’t even notice that she had put her short sword and two pistols with a couple of magazines in its holsters on the desk until she grabbed those items. He wanted to know where she hid those on her person, especially when she was wearing what looked like a uniform – a white blouse with a black pleated skirt that had two white strips along the edges. 

“Arrest the idiot and kindly ask for answers.” She answered casually, but her dark tone on the words ‘kindly ask’ made him believe otherwise.

“What’s this about Italy that you mentioned in the van?” He decided to seize this chance to ask her the question that was nagging at the back of his mind.

His twin remained silent for a moment while she checked one of her pistols, a silver one, to reload its magazines. He could only watch in silent awe at her deft fingers because she finished with this task when he blinked. Besides, he only knew its terminologies from the games he played.

She heaved a sigh, sounding as if she was reluctant to answer; but he was thankful that she decided to answer him.

“Takuto, Karel, and Senna found out some interesting information.” She started as she placed one leg on the chair, and strapped a holster with silver pistol on her upper thigh. “The one who hired the lead scientist of Project Sigma was the head of Foreign Relations for Italian government. It turned out that Project Sigma wasn’t supposed to contain human experimentation like it had been. Its original intention was to select some top members from other groups and form them into one group that handled difficult cases. Of course, in a sense, this is what happened… with some changes. Long story short, other UN members caught onto the changes, so this Italian Foreign Relations official was out to eliminate everyone involved in Project Sigma to silence them.”

“Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Wait a minute.” Jungkook interjected hastily before she could continue with her tale.

He couldn’t wrap his brain around this at all. It sounded a plot from a drama that he, Taehyung, and Jimin watched and made fun of because they couldn’t find anything else to watch. They weren’t mocking the writer’s efforts, but they simply couldn’t handle the cheesiness and cringe – especially when it contained romance.

“So, you’re telling me that this person – an Italian Foreign Relations official – headed Project Sigma, and did an experiment on you and your team. But other UN members didn’t know about it until now.” He tried to clarify the situation with furrowed brows. “They somehow found out about it, so this Italian official is now out to eliminate everyone involved in Project Sigma? Why does this sound like a bad movie plot? And why aren’t other UN members doing anything about it?”

He watched as his sister strapped another holster on her other leg – this time, it contained a black pistol – and gave a wry chuckle at his remark. It was interesting to know where she hid her guns… not that he needed to know in the first place, but still. Interesting information.

“The other UN members doesn’t want to deal with this because it could affect their relations with Italy. No one wants to deal with Italian mafia, you know, and it would headline on every media platform if they’re blatantly hostile to Italy.” Jungyoon answered as she readjusted her skirt. “That doesn’t mean that they aren’t secretly supporting us. Something about human experiments among other things that doesn’t sit well with them, I suppose, but the only country that’s open about it is America. Senna told me that UN members are working together to reverse the Savant Syndrome effects. We don’t know if that’ll work or how long they’ll take until they got a breakthrough. Either way, I guess it’s good to know that they’re on our side.”

“You’re telling me that none of them knew about what happened in Project Sigma? I find that hard to believe, Jungyoon.”

He doesn’t know what to make of this piece of news because it sounded highly anomalous even to his untrained ears. He doesn’t know if Jungyoon was laughing at his incredulous tone or his lack of knowledge in this matter – either way, he doesn’t appreciate that she was laughing at him.

“Sorry, sorry. I’m not laughing at you, I swear.” She chuckled as she grabbed her black coat and donned on it. “It is hard to believe – trust me, even I’m wary by their claims – but it won’t do us any good if we dwell on this. We work for them, after all. Besides, from what Takuto informed me earlier, this Italian official already eliminated everyone involved in Project Sigma except the seven of us. Someone apparently had a conscious and tried to leak about the experiment to other ICJ officials. These officials conveniently went missing a few days later. That’s how UN members suspected something was up, and investigated on it. Project Sigma is now an open secret to everyone in ICJ. Isn’t that great?”

He doesn’t know what to make of the sarcastic tone, so he ignored that for now to ask, “Why didn’t the seven of you revealed it when it happened?”

She gave a sad smile at his inquiry with her hands in the pockets, and answered in a soft tone, “It’s not like we haven’t thought about it. Even if we wanted to, we couldn’t – we had to think about our families’ safety too. If we revealed it, they’ll undoubtedly deny it and we’d have Italian mafia on our tail. They aren’t afraid to kill anyone who opposed them. Additionally, we wouldn’t have other UN members’ support either – there was no way they'd believe us then, so it’d be seven of us versus everyone. More importantly, we weren’t as trained as we are now… in terms of our combat abilities and control of Savant Syndrome. We'd lose so much more than we'd gain if we told them back then.”

Jungkook remained silent as he took in the information. It was hard to comprehend everything, and he had no idea how his twin was able to process it this as calmly as she looked.

“So, what are you going to do now?” He decided to ask that instead of other questions that swirled in his mind.

“As I’ve said, I’m going to go arrest the idiot and kindly ask some questions. Takuto and others are going after the Italian official that started this whole mess, so I just have to catch this idiot.” Jungyoon replied distractedly as she tried to fix her necktie.

He just stood there and watched her several failed attempts to tie a tie correctly. It was very interesting to know that she couldn’t do this when she had no problems blocking bullets with a sword or hacking into CCTVs and government databases to locate someone. Then again, he supposed those abilities doesn’t have anything to do with knowing how to tie a tie.

“Do you need help with that?” He grinned mischievously, very much amused by a messy knot she made.

“…I hate to say it, but yes…”

Jungkook chuckled as he untied the knot she made and asked, “Why does your uniform need a tie anyway? Wouldn't it get in the way?” as he expertly fixed the mess she made.

“It’s slash proof in addition to being bulletproof.” Jungyoon explained after she thanked him. “Most small arms fire would turn into blunt impact, and a slash with enough force would, at most, break some ribs. It doesn’t make its wearer invincible, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

“Interesting…” He doesn’t know what else to say to that piece of information.

“Well, I’m heading out now. Don’t wait up for me.”

“Wait, we’ve just returned. What about dinner?” He scrambled after her and watched as she laced her knee-high black boots. “Can’t you go after dinner?”

She paused momentarily to look at him, and then returned to her task to say, “Just save some for me. I need to catch him while he's thinking of his next move and his guard is down. Got to do my part and eradicate the problem while it’s in its infantile stage, and all that fun stuff.”

While he somewhat comprehended what she meant because he played enough detective-like games and watched that sort of anime, he wasn’t going to pretend that he completely understood her. So, he could only utter, “Be careful,” to which, she simply nodded before leaving.

“Where did your sister go?”

He nearly jumped in startled when he heard Jin’s voice from behind. Amid his conversation with Jungyoon, he completely forgot about other members, and he couldn’t help but wondered what they heard anything the two were talking about. It wouldn’t surprise him if some of them already had an inkling – they were quick to pick up on these things, after all.

“She had something to do, so she just left.” Jungkook replied, not knowing what to say and how much to reveal. He seriously needed to talk to his twin about this next time.

“Where was she going? What was she going to do at this hour? Aish, she could’ve waited until after dinner if she was going out.” Jin nagged and grumbled.

He pretended he didn’t hear about the older male’s complaints about ungrateful younglings, and stared worriedly at the closed door before he headed to the dining room. He nearly face-palmed into the table and groaned out loud when he remembered that he didn’t ask her when she was returning.

"Of all the things –" He pouted and pointedly ignored amused looks from other members.