Tears

Tears

There was a nasty halapoji that lived down the street from me.

Every time noona I passed his house on the way to school he would spit mean and awful words at us. Noona would always hold my hand and told me to ignore him. He was an evil man and had no one to love.

I grew up thinking he was a horrible man.

 

When I was in second grade, a family moved next door. They had two daughters; one my age another noona's age. Since my neighborhood only consisted of old people we only had each other.

Sooyoung was my best friend. She was loud and adventurous, the complete opposite of me. She was always  smiling or laughing. 

She would heads with the halapoji and he would insult her nonstop saying little girls shouldn't talk back to old men. But Sooyoung was a spunky seven year old; she would always insult him back.

"Sooyoung-ah, shouldn't you stop talking mean to that halapoji everyday?" I asked one day. We were sitting outside of my front lawn doing some art project for school.

Sooyoung shrugged and continued to color. "He doesn't respect me, so why should I respect him?"

"But his's an adult," I countered matter-of-factly. "And we're only kids."

"That doesn't mean he should be so rude." And that was the end of our conversation.

 

It was my second year of high school when we heard the news of the nasty halapoji's death. Not many people mourned his death.

Noona and Soojin-noona said it was about time for that terrible man to die. Appa and uncle said he never did anything for the good of the world. Eomma and auntie said he was a disgrace to mankind. I just sat there quietly listening to them speak. They had never said things like this when he was still alive.

When I went to look for Sooyoung, I found her under our favorite tree. She had grown up since the day we first met. No longer the boyish little girl I grew up with--and I was in love with her.

"Did you hear the news?" I asked,  standing beside her. She was sitting, hugging her knees to her chest. 

"Ne," I heard her say quietly. I sighed, brushing my hair away from my face.

"Everyone's saying the bastard deserved it--" I paused when I hear a sniffle coming from Sooyoung. Concerned, I bent down. She was crying. "S-Sooyoung... Why are you...?"

"I know I shouldn't. He was a terrible man. He said all those horrible things to me--" she choked on a set of tears and I did the only I can in a situation where the girl I loved was upset, I hugged her.

I softly her hair trying to calm her down. "He doesn't deserve your tears, Sooyoung." 

I felt her shake her head and look up at me. "Ani, Kyu. He does." She continues to let her tears slowly fall down her face. I wipe her face with my thumb gently. 

"Waeyo, Soo?" I asked, shivering slightly when she places her hand on top of mine. She looks so incredibly beautiful when crying.

"Because everyone deserves to have someone cry over them."

I hold her tightly because I know she's right. No matter what or who the person was, they at least deserve someone's tears. 

We sat there under our favorite tree, holding each other, forgetting everything, and crying for a soul that finally went to rest.

 

 

 

A/N: this is dedicated to my grandpa who passed away early morning yesterday. I'm glad you aren't suffering anymore, but we miss you. You're the only grandfather I knew and I glad you found your family before you died. I love you grandpa.

I sincerely apologize that there isn't actual Kyuyoung in this one-shot.