Are We Okay?

Paper Toads and a Hundred Roses | JOOSUNG
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      "Sung Kyung?" at the sound of it, I close my eyes tightly. The wind envelopes me, the goosebumps on my skin helping me divert my attention from what's to come smashing against me at the moment. For so many years, I tried so hard not to piss off the heavens to the point where it'll want to have me suffer. But everything ended up in vain because it all just led to this moment. It made me realize how I failed to do many things and how I didn't do anything to mend the torn fabric anyway. "Sung Kyung," I open my eyes to turn to the rooftop's door to find Joo Hyuk standing in his work suit without the coat. He has his sleeves rolled up his upper arms and his watch glinting at me because of the light from the moon. He seems relaxed. Like he didn't do something utterly unbearable a few hours before.

     I've let all my frustrations out right after I ran away from the studio. I screamed together with the city's noise. I cried and sat on the rooftop floor with my pastel dress and dirty feet. I didn't care if my make-up's smudged or my hair's a mess. I didn't care if security would rush in just to find a crazed woman crying on the floor, pounding on her chest as if that'll make the pain go away. They might as well arrest me for committing the crime of being such a nuisance to everybody's lives that they decided to torment me. But nevertheless, this life should not be spent only worrying about myself. After that thought hit me, I realized that I was selfish enough to not think about what my son actually feels about all of this. By running away, I wasn't giving Joo Hyuk the chance to explain why he did such a thing.

     But he found me.

     So I would listen.

     I stare at nothing as the sound of his shoes tapping against the floor comes closer, making me grip the fabric of my dress even tighter. I don't want to be mad at him. So I gave him the chance to speak by remaining mute. I'm not going to talk until he explains everything. The sight of his shoes right in front of me didn't entice me to look up at him. The sight of his eyes will make me cave in and I would just be torturing myself if I do so. He crouches right in front of me and sighs, not even trying to make eye contact with me. I shift a little farther, making it clear that I don't want any contact with him but he comes closer anyway. "They're threatening me," and that made me look up at him. The surprise and confusion was probably evident in my face because he reaches a hand up to smoothen my furrowed eyebrows. "You're beautiful even when you're confused," he says gently and it had my face softening as his eyes stare at every feature of my face. My lips don't make a sound as he takes his hand back before looking at the ground. He puffs out a breath and to me, it meant so many things. He didn't want me to know but he couldn't keep it a secret. "Seohyun's father owns the hospital that I'm having my final year of residency in," he sits on the floor properly and stretches his legs out. He looks so handsomely boyish that it made me want to take a photo of him and just plaster it on every wall of my house. But the grim expression on his face made me think otherwise.

     "He wants me to marry Seohyun in exchange for a good recommendation," I felt a pinch on my heart as soon as the words tumble out of his mouth. I reach a hand up to clutch my chest because of how he could have possibly considered it right after he talked to her father. Seohyun was his first love. Although the last matters, the first mattered a little bit more. "I refused."

     "Why?" were the first words that came out of my mouth. Joo Hyuk looked at me with such an appalled expression that it almost made me regret asking the question. "Why did you refuse?"

     The shift in his expression startled me, making my heart pound out of utter nervousness. He looks so hurt that it made me want to take my words back. "Why are you even asking me that, Sung Kyung?" his mouth suddenly forms a grim line as his jaw clenches. But I want him to get mad at me. I'm no masochist but I want him to tell me everything that he couldn't because he's too busy controlling his emotions all the time. He suddenly stands up, making me do the same as he pinches the bridge of his nose as if all his frustrations are about to pour out of him. "Do you think that ill of me?"

     "Why didn't you consider it?" I ask, looking at him intently although I didn't want to do anything else but cry.

     He just scoffs and it's obvious that he's pissed. "We

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter