Frustrating, Complicated, Got Away By Some Mistakes

And That's The Way I Loved You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1 – He is sensible and so incredible.

 

 

 

See you later. Can't wait. XO

 

 

“What!?” A voice asks near her right ear.

 

Yoojin suddenly locks her phone from shock and turns around to see her best friend, Seri, glaring at her. She takes a sip on her frappe and shrugs.

 

“No way!” Seri sighs exaggeratedly and dramatically. She always does. “You're no way ---- getting back together with him.”

 

She eyes her best friend as if she's grown two heads. “We are not!”

 

Seri takes out something from her bag and hands her a mirror. She examines it first before Seri says, “Please take a look at yourself!”

 

And Yoojin does. She cannot see anything but her usual face. “So..?”

 

“That's the face of being in love!”

 

Yoojin examines herself carefully. A single blush means being in love again? Definitely not. She's been through different heart aches, the last relationship proved how much she fails in romance. There's no way she's ready for a relationship, again.

 

“Seri-yah...”

 

“Don't you remember how he broke your heart when we were in university? How he was just a douche bag to you?” Seri likes to remind her.

 

The woman shrugs in return. “Who cares? We're not dating.”

 

“Remember Jonghyun?” She suddenly halts thinking about him --- for it still kind of hurts. “It's been --- six months, right? And how's the divorce going on so far?”

 

Yoojin looks at Seri. Seri has a point. She always does.

 

It's been six months since she walked out of their shared house. Six months since she's last seen Jonghyun. Six months since she has thought about him at all.

 

Two months ago, she got reacquainted with Hwang Minhyun by an accident. Two months then since he's acting like a friend.

 

And one month ago, she has filed a divorce on the ground of irreconcilable differences between Jonghyun and her.

 

Her best friend tugs her at her elbow. “Are you sure, though?”

 

“About what, Seri?”

 

“Divorce.... with Jonghyun.”

 

 

 

 

2 – But I miss screaming and fighting...

 

 

 

“Yoojin! Yoojin!”

 

There's a loud knock on her door. She tunes it out.

 

“Please.... Hear me out.”

 

Ignore it, ignore it, Yoojin.

 

She tries so hard to ignore it and closes her eyes and pulls the pillow on her chest ---- as if the pillow can protect her heart from yearning the same man knocking on her door.

 

“You'll be going soon.” She whispers.

 

But please stay.

 

“I didn't mean it. Please... I want you to talk to me.”

 

Yoojin sits up and contemplates as she nears the door. There's this determination to open up the said door and open up her heart, too. She holds her breath as she holds the door knob.

 

“Hyelim?” The voice says suddenly. “Yeah... I'm coming home.”

 

Yoojin can hear the disappointment in her heart as the other starts his car. She thinks she no longer has tears to fall but she's still crying and crying and crying.

 

She's no longer his home.

 

She'll never be his home again.

 

 

 

3 – He opens up my door and I get into his car...

 

Hwang Minhyun is a perfect gentleman.

 

Yoojin knows that as she watches him opening the car door for her. There's no need to, she tells him, but he only smiles without answering and she gets in. No need to fuss over at anything.

 

“You know you didn't have to do that, Minhyun.” She reminds again. Because if she can, she'll draw the line between them again and again until he remembers it.

 

Minhyun puts her seat belt and he smells really wonderful. She meets his gaze and her ears are burning hot, her face flushes with red as they look into each other's eyes.

 

He's so close, she realizes. Too close, in fact, more than she allows him to.

 

Hwang Minhyun puts a smile on his gorgeous face, perfect set of white teeth blinding her. “You know I like and enjoy doing this for you, right?”

 

Lee (Kim) Yoojin nods. Minhyun, when they were dating in university, really surprised her in different ways. A perfect gentleman, he swept her off her feet like a real and true Prince Charming.

 

But her defenses are up. He is a devil in disguise as a Prince Charming.

 

“I don't know why you're doing this ----”

 

“Well, because I'm still in love with you.”

 

She freezes in her place. Minhyun always catches her off-guard. He's blunt and bold and assertive of things, too.

 

Yoojin sighs, gripping on her seat belt. “I'm not looking forward to fall in love again.” Which is true.

 

Minhyun grips on the handle and focuses on the road. “I'll make you, Yoojin.” He's serious.

 

“I don't know why you're acting like this, Minhyun-ssi,” She emphasizes the line she's trying to draw between them. “But it's not like we'll ever be dating again.”

 

There's a flash of hurt in his eyes but she dismisses it.

 

“I want you.... the way wanted to --- more than that. I love you ---- and I would care for you the way he never did.”

 

Yoojin shakes her head and looks outside. “Like how you treated me like a trash in uni, Minhyun?”

 

The guy sighs and reaches for her. She does not tug her hand off. Mihyun looks like he's ready to give up everything for this second chance he wants to get --- Minhyun looks at her as if she were a prize rather than a price ---- he feels warm these days --- but she doesn't want it.

 

“I'd never dream of that again.”

 

A poignant pause.

 

She doesn't want to continue talking about this.

 

“I like your new hair cut.” He says softly, dropping the subject, with a smile.

 

Confusion then relief breaks on her face. There's a smile on her face as she watches outside.

 

(She really did cut her hair.)

 

 

She's amazed at how Minhyun sees right through her --- the compliment she begged to get from him before --- the look in Minhyun's eyes as if she's a prize rather than on his eyes' as if she were a price.

 

There's a tug on her heart with his compliment.

 

 

 

 

 

She's excited to go home, knowing she's dressed up and got her hair cut. She's wearing her new blue dress that Seri personally chose for her. She's just happy and there's nothing special today as she cooks pasta for both of them, sets the dining room with candles around.

 

When he comes back home, she waits on the door with a smile. He hardly looks at her and asks,”What's for dinner?”

 

She's thwarted but tries to feel optimistic.

 

“Pasta.” She singsongs at him.

 

They go straightly in the dining area. Jonghyun eyes around the room, both fascinated and confused. He looks with fear in his eyes.

 

“Oh... I forgot. It's our anniversary.” He says, clenching his fists in his sides. “I'm sorry.... I did not prepare anything for you... I was...”

 

Yoojin's smile fades.

 

“There's no anniversary, Jonghyun. I was just happy that I prepared --- but yeah --- never mind.” She smiles nervously, hoping it reaches him.

 

Jonghyun sighs, relaxed. “Thank Goodness.” There's a smile tugging on his lips. She wants to punch his face so bad. “Let's eat.”

 

Yoojin sits on her seat dejectedly.

 

She never heard the compliment she was looking for.

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 – All my single friends are jealous

 

 

It's Minki's birthday. It's Choi “DIVA” Minki's birthday and he is not getting a NO as answer. Choi Minki was his classmate way back in University, a diva --- the biggest diva in this world, to be very honest.

 

Yoojin expects his birthday as grand (and it totally is) in an over-the-top high-end club in Gangnam, a masquerade theme party and she feels iffy with her pastel pink dress that hugs her every curve.

 

She expects that she hates this particular dress already, all thanks to her crazy Seri again, who has her eyes checking on them --- him, Minhyun, particularly --- and her dangerously low V cut line on her cleavage.

 

“What... isn't this my lovely Yoojin.” Minki greets as he opens his arms on her.

 

Minki's eyes train on someone, though, and she feels the incoming headache. Minki is an evil, sly, and loves baits. And right now, she and Hwang Minhyun are the baits for him.

 

Hwang Minhyun casually nods at him and wraps his arm around her waist protectively.

 

“If this isn't.... a very interesting night, I don't know what is.” Minki says meaningfully.

 

Yoojin should have seen it coming, especially Minki's words are laced with other meanings. Always.

 

She doesn't expect, though, the different murmurs of their old friends about her and Minhyun. Two people who broke off in university, now, together after eight years. But she knows that they're just friends.

 

One of the guests, also known as the reporter (since she used to be the biggest blabbermouth before) approaches her and wheels her away from Minhyun's ear shot.

 

“Oh my god!” She remembers her name is Hyojung. And she's looking flustered at the moment. “You're back together?”

 

Yoojin looks warily at Minhyun who's offering her a smile in return.

 

“No.” She denies vehemently.

 

Hyojung bumps her hips on hers, almost sending her off. “Eyyy! You and Minhyun used to be the campus couple for a few months.”

 

That is until he cheated, of course.

 

She only smiles at her, feeling uncomfortable when Minhyun appears.

 

“I'm taking her away, if you may excuse us.” Minhyun, in his deepest voice, murmurs which automatically sends Hyojung and other girlies giggle with themselves, eyeing her.

 

Minhyun takes her away at some place in a corner.

 

He leans down at her and he's dangerously close to her. She's no longer used to this kind of contact but it's welcoming.

 

“I'm sorry if they make you uncomfortable.”

 

Oh.

 

Yoojin shrugs and smiles tentatively. “I'm perfectly fine, don't worry. Thank you, though,”

 

Prince Charming holds her right hand takes it on her lips. It's warm... it's okay.

 

But her treacherous heart screams for another name.

 

 

 

 

 

5 – He respects my space.

 

Yoojin --- foolish Yoojin --- should have seen this coming. Especially after Minki's words.

 

Not far from them, stands Kim Jonghyun, in his perfect black suit, forehead showing, looking --- glaring in their way. She tries so hard to cover herself with the mask she has, but not even that can cover her nervousness.

 

 

And her heart skips a beat.

 

It's been long since they've last seen each other. And well, he's still breathtaking tonight. There's an itch --- to go to him --- to touch him once more --- to be close to him once more.

 

“Do you want to talk to him?” Minhyun wonders.

 

She's astonished by his attitude.

 

Minhyun looks at her --- waiting for her answer. He laughs at her reaction. “I mean--- technically, he's still your husband?” She nods. “So... if you like to talk to him, I'll be there for you, don't worry.”

 

Yoojin doubts his words, doubts Minhyun, overall.

 

He offers his hand, she takes it but before they can move, Minki is already coming their way.

 

“Oh, I found you!” Minki happily greets again.

 

But she isn't very much pleased, not when behind him is her estranged husband whose eyes are ready to hit anyone.

 

She acknowledges him with a nod.

 

But his eyes are solely boring a hole right through Minhyun who is not flinching at all, not backing out --- trying to square Jonghyun.

 

If this is not awkward at all, she doesn't know anymore.

 

Jonghyun eyes her from head to toe and shakes his head. It feels terrible inside --- feeling as if he's judging her and it feels terrible to stand in front of him again after so long.

 

“Here.” Jonghyun is handing his coat that she hasn't realized he's taken off.

 

Yoojin arches her brows at him.

 

“Cover yourself.” He commands.

 

She looks down at herself once more.

 

And... oh.

 

Oh...

 

Realization dawns by itself.

 

Everyone is holding their breath as he s his coat on her hands.

 

Before anything, though, Minhyun is already putting on his coat on her shoulders. Minki's looking as if they're an entertainment. And she's feeling more confused as ever.

 

“My date... my care.” Minhyun smiles at him.

 

Jonghyun nods, taking back his coat.

 

“Hon...” There's another voice calling.

 

Yoojin is not surprised to see Jang Hyelim, clinging on to Jonghyun like a koala.

 

There's a little scream inside her heart. She tunes it out nonetheless.

 

“I'm out!” Minki declares suddenly.

 

This brat, she curses.

 

“Well... this is rather an interesting sight to paint... right, Yoojin-ssi?” Her voice is a tease and she won't be taking the bait. “Are you still painting.... or.... are you working in another field already?”

 

Something snaps inside her.

 

Minhyun rubs her back gently and she's calm for a moment.

 

Yoojin bites the inside of her cheeks to prevent herself from answering.

 

“Wait... are you tired of being an unknown painter?” Hyelim fakes a gasp.

 

“Hyelim...” Jonghyun warns.

 

She wants to punch Jonghyun at this moment. So this already told everything to this ? If they want to play this game, why can't she?

 

“Are you still... the side woman, Hyelim-ssi?” She smirks as she sees Hyelim's eyes turn angry. “Oh yes... you still are!”

 

Hyelim raises her hand, when Minhyun runs in front of her and takes the slap for her.

 

The party stops.

 

The time stands still.

 

Everyone's attention is on them.

 

And Jonghyun's avoiding her gaze.

 

“You know what,” Yoojin snaps. “Thank you for taking my husband --- ex-husband from me. It seems like --- he hasn't grown his balls yet. Good riddance, ex-husband.”

 

Yoojin is taking Minhyun away from them --- from the party --- from the ongoing scene. Her face feels hot --- hotter than ever from anger --- her vision is blurry with tears. It feels frustrating. It feels suffocating.

 

They stop in front of his car and Yoojin worries and turns to Minhyun, caressing the cheek that Hyelim struck.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Minhyun smiles at her and nods.

 

“Weird masochist.” She mutters, rolling her eyes.

 

He kisses the inside of her wrist. “As long as you take care of me.”

 

Yoojin gulps.

 

“I'm sorry.” She says.

 

The man only smiles in return. “Let's go back home?”

 

She nods at him. He opens the door for and they drive off.

 

Home, where is home for her?

 

(But if she only stops, she'd see Jonghyun running and chasing after them.

 

If she only stops, she'd hear Jonghyun screaming out her name.)

 

 

 

 

6 – And kissing in the rain.

 

She's sitting in front of the marriage counselor. Last week, she received a subpoena for both of them to attend the said counseling.

 

Yoojin fiddles with her hands. She's nervous and is not exactly thrilled to be sitting in front of her. There's a movement on her right and Jonghyun sits next to her.

 

The counselor eyes both of them.

 

No one wants to peep.

 

“So...”

 

Her voice echoes inside the room and Yoojin feels little. She feels Jonghyun's eyes on hers but she's ignoring it --- she's ignoring the pain inside her chest.

 

The confrontation happened three days ago.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter