The beginning of our ending

STARGAZING

In the middle of the summer night she stand elbow leaned on the balcony railings. The cold on the steel railing was long gone replaced by the warmth that was produced by her own body. Her thick sweater shield her body from the cold night breeze while her gaze fixed at the night sky. 

“What do you like so much about the stars?” the question suddenly pop out in his head after few day of  moving in with her. He always saw her standing at their condo’s balcony stargazing for hours every single night except for when she’s exhausted. She gave him a small smile without looking at him.

“unlike some people, stars don’t disappear but they keep blazing. Even when the night is over.” She turn her body slightly to face him. His small pointy eyes shimmers under the reflection of the moon. His gummy smile always lightens her mood.

“you know I will never leave you babe. I promise.” He hug her petite body and joined her .

With a sigh, she hangs her head low, squint her eyes in order to stop any tears to form. She shed to much tears for a person who is still alive and living under the same roof with her. 

After years of relationship, yes everythings starting to dull. Day by day. Conversation turns into arguments, those sweet words they used to shower each other turns to hurtful words that was intent to hurt one another for self satisfaction and it makes her wonder why they’re still together.

She heard footstep approaching her but she choose not to react to it. It was the first since months. He rarely approach her after things worsen. She almost forgot how does it feel to stand near him without those mess up fights then lead to one of them slamming doors and didn’t show up at least for a week. 

She miss him but the wall she build kept her feeling from him. It was her fault she admit it to herself but never to him. She felt his presence next to her, mirroring her stance. Leaning on the balcony railing. 

 “This is hopeless.”

At last. The moment she’s been waiting for, albeit deep down she prayed that day will never come but there he is. Saying word she never want to hear but know will be said anytime sooner or later. She silently tightens her grip on the railing eye already fixed at the dark of the sky.

“Haejin, you should hope less. Even heaven can help us anymore. This should stop now.”

His words trailed. His deep voice still give he chills every single time even right now. She still remain calm and silent even deep inside she was ready to take the impact from more word that’s going to come from him any moment. She took a deep breathe before turn her head to find his gaze.

“Why do people always hurt the person who loves them dearly.”

She said under her breath. But in the deep silence of the night she know he heard her. He looked away from her.

“We’ve been here before. Hell it was worst than this but we made it out. It made us stronger.”

She trying to save them but his eyes was unsure. It hurt her more when she can’t even recognize that look on his face. Was that uncertainty?  

“You ask me why people keep hurting each other. Its human nature. We all are unkind deep inside. No one is perfectly kind with zero hatred inside them. No one Haejin. Its there. Everyone have it. Its human nature.”

He started to raise his voice a little but safe enough not to make her flinch.

“Let make up our mind. Stop being denial. We’re not happy anymore. Stop trying. I’m leaving tonight.”

She give him a small smirk before looking away.

“Go then.”

Her tone was stern and there’s no emotion in it. He was taken aback by her remark. He never saw that side of her before even how mess up their fights, she never looked like that. He saw determination in her, her hope replaced by despair. He was devoured by his own guilt right in that moment. He was about to say something when she spoke.

“Thank you. For not wasting your time trying to give yourself an excuse Min Yoon-Gi sshi. I really appreciate that.”

He know that there is no use explaining himself after what she said. He shifted his gaze to the floor he know he hurt her bad this time. Really bad. Silence engulfed their atmosphere for a moment before he started to walk away. She knew he went to pack his belonging so she take her seat on the two seated sofa they used to share while stargazing together long time ago. 

An hour past and she heard his footstep again. She saw him from the corner of her eyes, standing with his large luggage in his ripped jeans, hoodie and a snapback. He let his brown locks fall covering his eyes. She wont bother turn her head to look at him completely worried that she might fell on her knees and beg him to stay. 

“I’ll ask someone to pick up the rest of the boxes tomorrow.”

She nods and let him left the door without saying her goodbye. He too didn’t say his goodbye. She brush that thoughts away and keep her gaze at the stars. That one thing that will always there.