Epilogue

Dim Sunshine and Overcast Days

Author's Note: Oh look! An epilogue! I guess this fic has more things that it wants to say. :)

 

“Here ya go.”

“Thanks, unnie,” Yewon gratefully took the cup of soft-serve strawberry ice-cream from her taller and lanky group member. “I haven’t had these in a while.” 

Kyungwon had opted for an ice-cream cone and it as she joined Yewon at the table inside their favorite convenience store. “You gotta loosen up on your diet a bit, Yewon ah. Nothing can ever beat the soft serve here. Gotta have it as much as you can lest it suddenly closes down out of nowhere.” 

Scooping up a spoonful of the pink dessert into , Yewon savoured the sweet yet tangy flavour melting on her tongue. The relentless heatwave which blazed through Seoul’s weather forecasts did not stop them from venturing out to get their treat. “Gosh, it tastes exactly like how it was when I became a trainee,” the younger girl delightfully said. “I kinda miss those days sometimes.”

Kyungwon lightly chuckled. “You want to relive the days of us practicing to ‘Bang’ non-stop till our legs gave out?”

“Hey, at least we can proudly say that our leg muscles are better than ever before!”

“Always the positive one, aren’t you?”

“Someone has to be.”

Kyungwon looked at her, a curious gaze with a hint of concern hidden in her eyes. “So, what did you want to talk about? It’s not that I’m not down for ice-cream with you, but…”

Yewon immediately looked up at her friend. “Oh, there’s nothing wrong. Really!”

The older girl raised a brow as she kept on eating.

“You don’t believe me, do you?” Yewon frowned.

“To be fair, it’s not every day that you personally invite me out to chill,” Kyungwon explained. “And I can tell that you wanna confide in me about something.”

Damn. She should really learn to have a poker face on one of these days.

“Okay, you’re right,” Yewon swirled her spoon around in the cup, her half-eaten dessert a second priority now. “But it’s nothing bad, I promise. I just need some advice.”

“About what?”

“On how to properly thank someone very dear to you who has helped you out of a difficult situation.”

“Ohhhh,” the older girl cooed.”Let me guess — is it a certain someone with very squishable cheeks and is the resident songwriter of our group?” 

Yewon bashfully smiled, her eyes turning into crescents at the mention of the one who has been floating in her mind. “It’s really that obvious?” 

“Not really,” Kyungwon shrugged, “but your difficult situation happened a few months ago, and the only one who knew about it was Sungyeon. So I just connected the dots.” She swallowed the last of her ice-cream and went on to biting off the cone. “Why are you having trouble thanking her though? Isn’t she your best friend?” 

“That’s why it’s hard.” 

“Really?”

“Don’t you ever find it hard to say all the good things that you want to say to Minkyung unnie?”

“Well...now that you put it that way…” Kyungwon trailed off. 

“It’s always the ones we’re the closest with,” Yewon sighed. “And it frustrates me sometimes.” 

Kyungwon pursed her lips. She observed Yewon now lightly stabbing her ice-cream with the plastic spoon. She wasn’t sure if the positive girl had chosen the correct person to ask advice from. Kyungwon thought for a moment and then stood up, startling Yewon in front of her. 

“Unnie?”

“I’ve got an idea.”

 


 

When they both returned to the dorm, the sounds of playful arguments and video game sound effects resonated through the hallway. Just a typical day when Pristin are on a day off. Yewon and Kyungwon weren’t fazed one bit as they entered the living room to see Yaebin and Minkyung sitting side by side in front of the TV, focused on playing an intense fighting game match against each other.

“Yah, you’re not going to beat me this time!” Yaebin yelled, gripping the controller tightly as she mashed on different combinations of buttons.

“You’re going to jinx yourself if you keep talking like that,” Minkyung calmly timed her character’s movement, before she unleashed a special move that pretty much annihilated Yaebin. “See?

Yaebin could only groan loudly and slumped dejectedly onto the floor.

“Thank god I was rooting for Minkyung unnie.”

Huddled at the corner of the L-shaped couch was Sungyeon, munching on a bowl of cereal in her hands and mildly impressed by Yaebin’s back-to-back defeats. 

Despite being amused by the whole commotion in front of her, Yewon couldn’t resist sneaking a glance at Sungyeon. 

“Talk to her,” Kyungwon whispered from behind as she gave an encouraging pat on her shoulder. “Knowing Sungyeon, I don’t think you’ll have any trouble.”

“Thanks, unnie,” Yewon softly said, giving a warm smile to the older girl. “I really appreciate it.”

Kyungwon returned the smile and playfully ruffled the crown of Yewon’s brunette head before making her way to the two video gamers on the floor. “Hey, let me in on the action too!” she exclaimed, snatching Yaebin’s controller from her defeated grasp.

Yewon headed off into her room to put down her belongings. And also maybe to calm herself down before she talks to Sungyeon. Fishing out the tickets from her tote bag, she took another few seconds of deep breaths and headed back out to the living room. 

Good, Sungyeon was still munching on her cereal. Yewon quickly stuffed the tickets into the pocket of her denim shorts. It was now or never.

“Hey,” Yewon sat next to her best friend, shoulder to shoulder.

“Yo,” Sungyeon casually greeted back. “Had fun with Yuyu unnie?” 

“Yeah, we went for ice-cream and stuff,” Yewon said as she lets more of her weight to press against Sungyeon. The feeling was a familiar one. Something which they’ve always done if both of them happened to be sitting next to each other at home or during practice breaks. It always made Yewon feel secure, no matter how stressed, exhausted or anxious she feels. That warm, fluttering feeling in her heart whenever Sungyeon is beside her.

“Sounds nice,” Sungyeon finished the last of her cereal and sets it aside on the coffee table next to the couch. “I’d eat ice-cream with you too but no way in hell am I stepping foot outside to roast myself under the sun.”

Yewon quirked her lips. “You would still do it if I insist.”

“Me? Doing things for you? That’s crazy talk.” 

A playful slap on the thigh was Yewon’s response. Sungyeon’s snickering was contagious, though. She couldn’t help but join in on their one-of-a-kind banters.

A few minutes past. Their attention momentarily captured by the ongoing duels between the trio in front of them. No one was keeping track of the scores, but it didn’t matter anyway. Yewon, feeling that the time was right, turned her head and perched her chin on Sungyeon’s shoulder.

“Can we go in your room? There’s something I want to talk to you about,” Yewon whispered into her ear.

It was like a switch immediately flipped. Sungyeon frowned as she leaned in closer, their noses almost bumping into each other. “Do I have to plan out another murder with Siyeon?” she whispered back, a slightly protective tone coating her voice.

Yewon hooked her arm around Sungyeon’s own, giving a reassuring grin to her. “No, it’s nothing like that. I just want your company.”

The chubby-cheeked member relaxed, her expression softening when it was clear that there was nothing wrong. “Don’t scare me like that,” Sungyeon lets out a relieved sigh. 

“Nice to know that you still care,” Yewon smiled tenderly at her best friend.

“Who wouldn’t?” Sungyeon said as she reluctantly pulled away from the other girl’s hold. “Let me clean up first. I’ll meet you in my room once I’m done.”

“Sure thing!”

 


 

“So, what’s up?” 

“The ceiling.”

Sungyeon cringed so hard.

“Okay, I know that’s terrible,” Yewon covered her blushing face with her hands. 

“That wasn’t one of your finest moments, Miss Yehaha,” Sungyeon climbed onto her bed and sat beside the embarrassed failed comedian. “Bad jokes aside, I really would like to know why we’re having a private conversation here.” 

‘At least we’re not in the bathroom now?” Yewon uncovered her face once the blush died down, and turned to fully face the other. “Baesoongie... ” 

“Yes…?” 

“Have you been to IU’s concert before?” 

Well, that really got her attention, if the sudden widening of eyes and perking up were anything to notice. 

“Wait! Don’t tell me you-”

“I sure did.”

Yewon swore she saw sparkles in Sungyeon’s eyes once she said that.

“How did you get them?! They were sold out in like a couple of minutes!” Sungyeon incredulously asked, latching onto Yewon’s arms as she waited for an answer in disbelief.

“I have my sources,” Yewon coyly said with a smirk. She silently thanked Kyungwon again in her heart. Drawing back a bit from Sungyeon’s rather tight hold, she reached into her pocket and fished out the slightly crumpled tickets. “They might not be the best seats though, so-”

“Are you kidding me? They’re already good enough!” the self-proclaimed No.1 IU fan of the group exclaimed.

It was actually quite endearing to see Sungyeon being so passionate. It was a side Yewon did not see very often, other than the times she observed the songwriter in the composing room and in her element when she’s performing.

“But wait…” Sungyeon paused. 

Yewon tilted her head, giving her full attention.

“It isn’t my birthday though,” the songwriter creased her brows, “so why are you giving me these tickets?” 

Finally. It was time for the real reason. 

“Remember that incident some time after we debuted? When I was going through a rough time?”

Sungyeon nodded her head, a tinge of concern evident on her face.

“Ever since you helped me out, I’ve been thinking about how to thank you properly. Not solely because of that incident, but for everything.” Yewon lets out a soft giggle as she continued. “Remember when we first met?”

“Oh boy,” Sungyeon glanced off to the side in an amused yet sheepish manner, recalling back to their first meeting. “You really got an upgrade from the smiley but weirdly awkward girl I used to know. I mean, you’re still smiley and kinda weird but...”

“Yes, I get it, Baesoongie,” Yewon said with a tad of humored exasperation. 

“What else do you want me to remember from our first encounter?” Sungyeon smiled widely in anticipation. 

Yewon paused for a second before answering her question with an equally pleased smile. “Nothing else. It really was the start of this, isn’t it?” 

“I would argue that we started getting closer after that failed attempt to sing ‘Tina’ as a duet, though.” 

“Oh my god, can we not go back to that?” 

“Heh, it was never an awkward moment with anyone I’m with until you came along, Yewon ah.” 

“Funny how all of it works,” Yewon reached out to hold one of the songwriter’s hands. “We could barely speak to each other without feeling like there was an elephant in the room, but here we are now. Part of the same group and no hint of awkwardness even when it’s just us two. Do you ever wonder about that?”

Sungyeon looked down at their joined hands, contemplating for a moment before having her say. “You know that saying where it goes, ‘We meet everyone for a reason’? I know it’s cliche but I think that we came into each other’s life to bring out the best of both of us, you know? I’ve been training at the company for so long and met people that would later be part of my second family, but I can’t imagine the group without you in it. I wouldn’t be smiling and laughing as brightly now if you never came along. You’re one of the main reasons why I can’t ever be sad for too long.” 

Yewon felt a tug on her heartstrings as she listened closely to the sincere words. She swallowed the lump in and desperately fought back the tears that were forming at the corner of her eyes. She didn’t want to cry now. She’d be a sobbing mess. 

“I,” she quickly blinked away the tears and controlled her voice before saying her part, “wouldn’t be who I am now if you weren’t by my side all those years ago when I became a trainee. That shy, quiet girl I was before wouldn’t have opened up if she didn’t meet you. I’m so thankful that we met and that we get along so well despite our differences. You’re special to me, you know that right?” 

“Maybe,” the songwriter quirked her lips. “Care to remind me?”

Yewon couldn’t bring herself to get annoyed over her teasings. It just wouldn’t be them without some kind of banter every five minutes. Before Yewon could even respond with a witty remark of her own, she was pulled into a hug from out of nowhere. 

“You’re special to me too and don’t you ever forget that,” Sungyeon uttered into her ear. Even though she already knew the answer, it was relieving to actually hear those words from her best friend’s mouth. Yewon returned the embrace as tightly as she could. Gestures like these were somewhat rare between them despite how much time they spent together, let alone Sungyeon initiating it. She treasures these moments whenever they happen.

Seconds past, and Yewon was thoroughly enjoying the embrace as much as she can.

“Yewon?”

Nope, she needed it a bit longer. 

“Uh, Yewon.” 

Could Sungyeon just be quiet? She was trying to have a moment here.

“Yewon, we’re going to- OW!”

Yewon quickly drew back to find herself on top of Sungyeon now, the latter in pain and rubbing the back of her head. The positive girl might have put too much of her weight on Sungyeon, leading them to gradually land on the bed and Sungyeon’s poor head making direct contact with the wooden headboard. “Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” she hastily apologised and reached around the composer’s head to help with soothing her (thankfully) minor injury. “Are you okay?” 

“What’s with you and inflicting me with some type of bodily harm every time we’re alone?” Sungyeon painfully remembered the moment when she was yanked into the bathroom by Yewon’s superior strength that one time. “Is this payback for all the teasing I’ve done to you?” 

Straddling Sungyeon and getting herself in a more comfortable position, Yewon continued massaging her head in an effort to get rid of the pain. “I was trying to enjoy the moment, you dummy.” 

“Well, the moment is ruined thanks to you.”

Yewon made a cute noise of complaint and dropped her hands to her lap. “I can never win, can’t I?”

Sungyeon was about to agree but then stopped herself. She could let this one slide. “I think you’ve won by default today,” she simply said as she returned to holding her friend’s hands again. A fond smile curved its way on her lip when she raised her head up to match Yewon’s gaze. “Thank you for the tickets, Yewon. Is it safe to say that you want to go to the concert together with me?” 

“I-I mean, you don’t have to take me along just because I gave them to you,” Yewon stammered. “If there’s someone else you have in mind, then go ahead.”

Sungyeon just chuckled at her answer, and gave a small squeeze to their joined hands. “Do you know that you’re a terrible liar? Everything is written all over your face, Yewonie.” 

“Shut up, I know.” 

“Oooh, someone’s getting feisty.” 

Yewon leaned in closer, not fazed by the fact that they were mere centimetres away from each other. Her unusually intense gaze pierced through Sungyeon’s surprised hazel orbs. “You won’t like me when I’m feisty.”

“...Yeah?” the composer hesitantly uttered. 

“Yeah.” 

Yewon inwardly smirked. It felt good to actually be the one on the upper hand for once. Even if she has to unleash her bolder side sometimes. Seeing her best friend speechless and mildly nervous of her was a fun sight, but Yewon thinks Sungyeon might have short-circuited due to her boldness. She softened her gaze and booped Sungyeon’s nose with the tip of her own. “Yes, I want to watch it together with you. Now come back to earth, you dummy.”

Sungyeon unstiffened and relaxed herself. “Damn, remind me not to get on your bad side,” she said with a mix of awe and fear. Her eyes then flicked downwards and back up again.

Yewon just gave her a confused blink. “What’s wrong?”

“I feel like I’m experiencing deja vu, but instead of sitting on the toilet bowl in the bathroom, we’re both in my room instead.” 

Yewon looked downwards and sure enough, their position was still very compromising. “Oh! Sorry, I didn’t realise-”

“Whoa, get back here!” Sungyeon quickly reached out and pulled the positive girl back down on her lap. “I don’t mind this at all.”

“Who are you and what have you done to the real Sungyeon?” Yewon jokingly interrogated.

‘Fake’ Sungyeon just rolled her eyes with a scoff. “Be grateful that it’s you. If it’s anyone else, I’d kick them off my bed by now.”

“Not even Kyulkyung unnie?”

“Not even her.” 

As if they’ve said the magic words and summoned said Chinese member, the door burst open to reveal Kyulkyung, luggages in both hands, and who looked to be as energetic as ever despite her overseas schedules. “Sungyeon! I’m home! And don’t worry, I didn’t bring Lulu with...me.” 

Oh, such a compromising situation they were both in. Yewon could only muster an awkward “Hi” to a speechless Kyulkyung, while Sungyeon tried to hide her tomato-red face in the crook of Yewon’s neck, but it deemed to be a very futile attempt. It wasn’t loud per se, but Yewon’s ears definitely picked up on her best friend cursing under her breath. 

“Did I… barged into something?” Kyulkyung asked, strongly amused at the whole scene before her. “I’ll just chill out with the others in the living room first.” 

Kyulkyung casually pushed her luggages into their shared bedroom and then left the two 99-liners alone, not doing a very good job of hiding her all-knowing smile while she was at it. 

There was a pause. Quite an awkward one. 

“Just choke me with her cat’s fur right now,” Sungyeon broke the silence, her face still not particularly well-hidden and smushed up on the base of Yewon’s collarbone.

Yewon sympathetically wrapped her arms around the composer. “There, there,” she said with a hint of amusement in her voice. Well, this was definitely going to be one of many topics for gossip between the members. 

After a minute of grumbling and groaning, Sungyeon finally raised her head up and made a rather weak attempt to get Yewon off of her. “Alright, I’m one hundred percent sure that this is karma getting back at me for all the times I messed with you.” She tried to push her off again but Yewon wasn’t having none of it. 

In fact, Yewon was very pleased with the outcome. 

“Come on, get off.”

“Nope,” Yewon smirked and held her tighter. 

“Are you messing with me?”

“Hmm, maybe.”

“Karma is going to get back at you too. It’s a cycle.”

“I can worry about that another time,” the positive girl gave a coy smile. 

Sungyeon mustered yet another groan. “Just great. I’ve unleashed a monster, and the others are going to be all up on us the moment we step out of this room.” 

“It’s all worth it cause you’ve got free tickets to IU’s concert,” Yewon proudly said.

“I guess.” 

“Uh-huh.”

“So…” 

“So?”

“No offence but please get off of me.” 

“Nope.”

“Damn it.”

 


 

When Yewon was satisfied and finally removed herself from the composer (much to Sungyeon’s utter relief), they both headed out of the room and were greeted by none other than their members chilling in the living room. 

All of them, to be exact, with knowing smiles plastered on their faces.

“So who proposed first?” Siyeon broke the ice.

Sungyeon did an about turn, went back into her room and locked the door. 

Yewon could only smile in amusement.

At least she got a concert date with a tsundere.

 

Author's Note: If y'all have been following and reading my fics, then y'all should know by now that I'm a complete er for 99-line. I dunno, there's something very wholesome about writing these two and they're enjoyable to write about too.