because the thought of you drives me crazy

Interference

Mimi returns home to her bedroom to see her belongings on the table being placed in awkward positions, where they usually did not belong. 

"Aish umma did you clean my table again?" Mimi screams at the top of her lungs. She's sure her mother can clearly hear her despite that the door is closed. 

Her mother doesn't give a reply. Mimi wasn't expecting one either. 

Mimi seats herself before her table and with a sigh, begins to rearrange her belongings to her preference. Mimi finds a book she hasn't read for a while. While taking it out, a Polaroid photo falls out. 

"Oh," Mimi mutters when it falls to the ground. She picks it up and flips it over to take a look. 

Mimi feels her heart sink when the photo is revealed. She feels a gulp forming in , and her eyes start to turn watery. After a short moment, Mimi thinks she'll going crazy so she turns away and refuses to look at it. 

Mimi clicks her tongue in annoyance. While doing so, Mimi reaches for her diary and decides to clip the Polaroid photo somewhere in there. Unknowingly, Mimi begins reading entries from her high school years.

She doesn't know for how long she's been reading, but she is then interrupted by an incoming phone call. 

"Unnie! I found the off-shoulder top you've been looking for! Sent you a photo," Nayoung speaks immediately as she answers. 

"Geurae?" when Mimi speaks she finds her voice clogged up in . She coughs to clear , causing streams of tears to begin falling.

"Unnie, you okay?" Nayoung asks with slight concern.

"I'm fine," Mimi replies between coughs, furiously wiping her tears.

"Okay, take a look at it unnie," Nayoung rushes her, "ppali, it's getting dark."

"Let me check it out," Mimi replies and proceeds to take a look. "Ah, that's it, and the price is pretty reasonable too. Gomawo Nayoung ah!" Mimi says with a small smile after confirming it. 

"It's nothing," Nayoung plainly replies. "What were you doing?" she asks next. 

Mimi sighs, "Reading my diary."

"What for?" Nayoung asks with widened eyes. 

"As people say, memories really do remain as pieces. These pieces are selective, while we choose to forget times that have been hard for us. But when you read entries from all those times, as if broken pieces of a puzzle are coming together, your pieces form up and you live those times again. It's beautiful, but it can be painful," Mimi speaks her mind, not bothered that Nayoung may not actually understand her. 

"Heol," Nayoung is speechless. "Well, I'm gonna go pay for it. We can talk later."

 

・・・

 

Nayoung watches as the clock turn 11:11 at night and wonders if she should make a wish. 

Nayoung softly chuckles to herself, but shuts her eyes for a wish anyway. 

I wish that Haebin and I will be like we were before. 

Nayoung opens her eyes in disbelief. Did I just...?

"Aish jinjja!" Nayoung groans and grabs her hair in annoyance. Andwae, she thinks, I can't let myself be all over a person again. 

Nayoung takes a deep breath. She then sighs. 

It's too late, she thinks. She's already growing attached to Haebin. Or rather, reattached. 

Nayoung knows that for the second time, Haebin has become someone precious to her. Just as anyone would have thought so, Nayoung's three years in middle school spent with Haebin had made the latter an important person in her life and meeting her again immediately gave Nayoung that feeling again.

Nayoung then recalls that she hasn't given Haebin her number. So she's the only one who can make any contact between them right now. 

Heol. 

A certain crazy idea tells her to do the same as she had done during the first year of middle school.

No way, Nayoung gapes. 

Despite that, her hands are agile and are already on her mobile phone, creating a chat with Haebin. 

Her fingers are quick.

I love you!

There, the text is typed out.

"Aish, jinjja!" Nayoung screeches and grabs the side of her head as she begins jumping on her seat. 

I can't believe I'm doing this. Again. Nayoung releases a grown and sighs.

Nayoung thinks she's lost her mind, once again, but Nayoung decides to be fearless.

Her thumb swiftly taps on the 'send' icon, and the message is sent out as a grey tick appears.

Nayoung releases another ear-piercing squeal, and throws her mobile phone onto the bed. 

She turns to face a mirror.

"You're crazy," she mutters at her reflection, and gives a hard sigh.

 

・・・

 

Nayoung reaches for her mobile phone. She wants to rant to Sejeong and Mimi (of course without telling them what she's done because for if not they're going to remember this forever and blackmail Nayoung when she turns forty- exactly why Nayoung didn't mention the first time to anyone either), but she remembers that she'd seriously hate it if Haebin sees her online now. Nayoung almost curses, and throws her phone back onto the bed.

Tonight, Nayoung feels lonely. She doesn't know what to do about it, as usual. Nayoung thinks it has been a while since this feeling has last paid her a visit.

Nayoung doesn't want to cry, but she doesn't want to smile either. Times like these, Nayoung wishes she lived next to the sea, so that the waves can fill up the emptiness in her, so that their sound can drown any thoughts she is about to have. 

A notification from her mobile phone shakes Nayoung out of her solitary tranquillity. Thoughtlessly, Nayoung reaches for her mobile phone.

1 new message from Oori Haebinnie ❤: Hehe this time I know it's you

Nayoung cringes, squeezing her eyes shut. She explosively bursts into laughter. "So who's the cringier one between the two of us?" she mutters in between chuckles. 

Nayoung excitedly sprawls on her bed while typing a reply. Don't be weird

What are you doing? she sends next. 

Nothing. It's quiet in here came the reply. 

Right, Nayoung recalls the offer she received earlier in the day to move into the student hall. 

Should I move in with you? Nayoung asks after a deep breath.

1 new message from Oori Haebinnie ❤: It'd be nice if you do :)

Nayoung puts her phone down. She sighs. Nayoung knows that moving in means bridging any distance between them, and it means pulling in closer. Nayoung isn't sure if she's ready for that to happen again.

Nayoung isn't sure if she can live if an important someone were to leave her again.

 

author's notes: yay we finally get something from mimi now :) the diary part!! i referenced something mina said in ep12 of gugudan mwohanayoung. about diary, it's also from gugudan's song diary. im not very happy with this chapter tho. how are y'all finding it? do alert me if u find that im using too much korean HAHAHA