2/3

Intertwined

 

 

Beep beep beep went Youngjae's alarm as it signified that it was time to get up at a reasonable time which was 10 for him. He groaned and practically slammed the snooze button, nearly knocking over the clock in the process. Youngjae laid in his bed for a couple of minutes, taking in the moment and recalling the events of yesterday. He still felt the situation was surreal and coincidental that he had ran into his old friend, Daehyun, whom he hasn’t even seen once in the last five years or so. He sighed, dismissing the thought from his head while rubbing his face, no point in overthinking it.

After spending a long while in bed due to him browsing his phone, he finally managed to get up and stumble his way into the bathroom. He washed his face and brushed his teeth which took a total of ten minutes, and now in a more awake state, he threw himself onto the couch in his living room. He reached for the remote and the TV, only to browse aimlessly through all the channels.

A thought occurred to him shortly, "Shouldn't I message Daehyun an answer?" He then realized he hasn’t even decided whether or not he wanted to go out. Pondering his answer, he grabbed his phone and was surprised to find a total of five messages from Daehyun, and they had all been from the previous night. When he had gotten home, he passed out so fast that he wasn’t able to wait for any text messages from the other.  

Besides Daehyun there had been one more message, and it was from Himchan. Youngjae believed it would be easier just to answer the oldest and clicked on the lone message.

H: Hey I heard you and Daehyun began talking again… Are you feeling alright?

Truth be told, Youngjae did tell someone about his not so little crush on Jung Daehyun and that someone was none other than Himchan, he also eventually told Yongguk as well. He was glad both received the news well.

Y: Yeah don’t worry I’m fine. We just ran into each other while I was out the other day and we caught up for a little bit. How did you find out?

The older had responded lightning fast.

H: Oh well I still talk to him, he knows a close friend of mine, and we meet up as a group from time to time. He texted me yesterday about giving him your phone number and texting you and unanswered messages and what not. Wanted to know if he got the correct number.

Y: Ah I see. Yeah, I see the messages now, I passed out the moment I had gotten home, well not literally, actually went to clean a little.

H: Jeez, well because of you he blew up my phone in overthinking and panic, so I believe I deserve some apology?

Y: Alright alright chill, I’m sorry. Will that suffice mother?

H: Hey I’ll have you know I’m more of an aunt. Yeah yeah whatever, anyways I heard you guys were planning on heading out?

Y: Let me guess, he told you about that too?

H: Well he DID say that you guys began talking to each other again and naturally when one of my best friends suddenly begins talking to someone they started running away from, OBVIOUSLY I am going to be interested.

Y: I never really responded to him, haven't even decided actually. I was going to go out for snacks though, not him.

H: Of course you were... well whatever just text me if something crazy happens alright?

Y: Hingham please, I know you baby me but I'll be fine.

Youngjae didn't even bother waiting for the reply so he just got up and shuffled through his clothes to choose what to wear, he had his original intentions on going out, and if he was in the mood later to hang with Daehyun, then he'll message him.  

He picked out a pair of regular faded blue skinny jeans with a plain white sweater. He shrugged thinking it was simple enough and grabbed a pair of socks, his phone, and wallet before moving towards the door. At the entrance he pulled his black coat off from the hanger and put his hands through, it felt warm enough for him.  

He looked at his phone and decided to open up Daehyun's messages, they read

D: Youngjae!?!?

D: Hello (emoji)

D: are you up for tomorrow?

D: You didn't give me the wrong number, did you?

D: Don't ignore me (sad emoji)!

Seeing the messages made him laugh, they screamed Daehyun. He pondered about how he should respond, uncertain that the other would continue prodding for an answer to go out.

Y: Hey! My bad, I kind of just immediately went to sleep after I got home.

He sighed heavily, quickly typing out his next messaging and hitting send while closing his eyes in fear.

Y: I’ll be going out to buy snacks, but I should be free to hang out so just tell me where to meet up!

He felt a slight pang of disappointment for not having an immediate response, despite that, he was also relieved. Slipping on a pair of comfortable sneakers he left his apartment to go to the convenience store. Upon entering, he bid a good morning to the older lady working the cash register, who likewise returned the action. Youngjae approached his usual aisle and began to take his pick on multiple bags of unhealthy crispy potatoes: sea salt, barbeque, spicy, and whatever else. Perhaps twenty bags is a bit of an overkill, but knowing Youngjae, he would finish at least half in one day.

While making his way to the check-out he felt his phone ring, shuffling through his coat pocket he pulled out his phone and saw that the caller ID was Daehyun.

"Hello?" "Hey, Youngjae! My bad I didn’t respond to your messages any sooner, I just woke up."

A crashing sound could be heard over the phone, as well as a ‘No...Bonjo, don’t you dare- HEY! YOU STUPID CAT!’ The altercation made Youngjae giggle; he tried to stifle his laughter. Although, that is new. Daehyun has a pet cat, surprising because from what Jae remembers Daehyun hates cats.

"It’s fine, I mean I didn't respond until the next day. And I didn’t even send those messages that long ago." The incoherent cursing against the cat could still be heard, "yeah I- I  consulted Himchan, did he message you about it? Told me it was shocking that we began to speak to each other again." "Well I mean we split for five years-.” Another crashing, “And I told Himchan about it, of course, he's surprised."

Huffing and panting were heard from the other line, sounds like a workout. "I- I guess so...are… are you out right now?" Youngjae nodded to himself and waited for a response, but realizing his mistake he smacked himself lightly “I- yes." "Well, where are you?" "The same convenience store as yesterday." "Picking up snacks again I see? Well, can you wait for me near there? I'll try to be as fast as possible!" "Hey, I didn’t judge you when you downed 5 cups of creamy pudding that one time." Daehyun laughed and brushed off the remark, "Alright see you then Jae-Jae!" And before Youngjae could protest against that awful nickname the other hung up. He looked at his phone screen now that the call was over, "God… How long has it been? That nickname is still the absolute worst."

After Youngjae finished checking out his many snack bags, that earned him several judgment stares from the older clerk lady, he decided just to take a walk around the area. Several smaller independent shops littered the streets, especially many clothing stores. Window shopping was an often habit of his. He could afford to spend some money, but then some eventually lead to half, and half leads to all his money gone and regret.

Glancing at a couple of neatly folded cable-knitted sweaters he caught a glimpse of a familiar face which made him do a double take. He saw Seojung, the girl with Daehyun from yesterday, with another man. "Honey let's get a Christmas matching outfit!" The male looked hesitant on the thought. "Mm... I guess we can just don't choose anything extremely outrageous.”

“Honey?” Youngjae thought to himself; he couldn't help his eavesdropping.

“So, how’s it going with the other guy?” “You mean Daehyun?” “Yeah, yeah him…” “It's still in the works, but he said soon. Of course, soon with him usually means several weeks or even months.” She smiled at him and pecked his cheek, “Don't worry hon, I only have eyes for you.”

Youngjae tried his best to stumble quietly out of the store without being noticed; he found himself heating up with anger as he kept going over her words. “How can she do that to him? She doesn't even deserve him!” He couldn't even comprehend how someone would even think about cheating on Daehyun. The man that he felt was practically a gift from the gods! The charming way his eyes would crinkle when he smiles at you, the toned arms that would hold you when the blues drown you, the melodic voice like caramel when he speaks or sings, and there were so many more.

 As Youngjae stood there with burning fire building up within him, Seojung had taken a step out of the store. She quickly glanced over her shoulder and was surprised to find Youngjae by her side. She took a step back and glanced at her other boyfriend, maybe she could play this situation off.

“Oh! Youngjae!” , she said casually, moving a piece of her silky hair behind her ears. They were tinged red, along with her cheeks due to this unexpected situation. The male didn’t respond, simply staring at her sharply, as if daggers could form in his eyes and pierce her. “It’s nice to meet you finally. Daehyun talks about you all the time; it’s nice to talk to the person though.” She laughed lightly, hoping to ease the tension that seems to be building.

“Guess that makes one of us,” and nothing else was said.

The younger girl managed to piece together that this occurrence would not end well. At this point, the man that she was with stepped into the scene, and now Youngjae was glaring at him. Seojung followed his eyes and found them staring at Jihan, her actual boyfriend. Jihan, on the other hand, was massively confused, he managed to catch onto the situation and played the vital 'brother' role for the girl. “Sis, are you just going to stand there and wait for the ice to freeze over your shoes or?” Youngjae wasn’t falling for it though. Seojung laughed lightly, “God you’re so annoying, I just ran into an acquaintance of mine.” “Is that it is it? Get found out and pretend that it’s not what it looks like?” Youngjae rolled his eyes. “I...I don’t know what you are talking about” Seojung knew she didn’t sound convincing, but she can at least plead for her life. “Playing dumb now? You can at least admit to your cheating.” Seojung sighed, “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.” “Well, why not give it a shot? Tell me? What reason or excuse do you have to deal with such disgusting behavior?” “It wouldn’t be fair on Daehyun if I told you!” “Wouldn’t be fair? What the hell? You’re cheating on him!” Youngjae was utterly baffled while talking to Seojung; she sounded as if her cheating was for a specific reason, she seemed mental to him.

Youngjae’s phone went off, as well as Seojung’s hope. He picked up without looking at the caller ID, “Hello?” “Hey! So I’m out and about, I went into the convenience mart, but the elderly lady said you left a while ago. Sooooo I was wondering where you went off to?” Upon hearing Daehyun’s voice, Youngjae felt a surge of emotions flood through him; he saw this as an opportunity in telling him immediately what he has witnessed, at the same time he was worried Daehyun wouldn’t believe him until he sees it for himself. With a lowered voice, “I’m near the shopping area.” “Why are you whispering?” “Just come.” he quickly hung up.

Seojung sighed, “Look Youngjae, I’m not your enemy here if anything Daehyun is your enemy.” “What are you even trying to convince me of here, Daehyun is on his way soon and you’ll be exposed, then you can…” He clenched his fist, finishing his sentence in his head, “Stay away from him.” “What? Oh god, I really cucked this up.” Given that the convenience mart wasn’t too far from the shopping center, Daehyun arrived quickly, Seojung didn’t run, which seemed questionable to Youngjae. Instead, she sat next to him, although not due to Youngjae scooting away from her.

“Youngjae! And… Seojung?” Seojung stood up first, “Look we’re busted okay? He,” Seojung gestured to Youngjae, “found Jihan and me together. You know what that means.” Youngjae felted baffled listening to this; she was stating it so bluntly, not even in an apologetic way. Daehyun stared and scratched his head loosely, “Oh.” And that was all that was said, Seojung put her hands up in defeat, “ This is all on you, go get ‘em tiger.” Patted Daehyun’s left shoulder reassuringly and linked arms with Jihan, bidding an apologetic wave to Youngjae, “Really hope he can explain everything to you, he should be the one to anyways," and left.