Mr. Heart Stealer

Mr. Heart Stealer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae’s POV

 

“Lee Hyukjae!”

 

“Yah! Lee Hyukjae!”

 

“YAH! DETECTIVE LEE HYUKJAE!!” I found myself slumped on the floor with aching . I was so shocked, “I asked for your progress report for the missing black suit case 1 hour ago. It’s been 3 weeks and the auction house was asking for the leads of their case, and here you are sleeping on your desk!” our chief gave me his daily preaching.

 

I’ve been a detective for almost 10 years and this black suit case is the biggest case we have. I was assigned as the group leader for this case but I still don’t have any lead for the mysterious disappearance of that one in a million black suit. “I’m sorry chief, this won’t happen again.” First, I need to admit my mistake. I was really sleeping and I don’t have any alibi for that.

 

“I will accept your apology if this is the first time I saw you sleeping during working hours. Lee Hyukjae, you’re one of our assets and best detective in this company, but recently you keep on sleeping in the middle of the day.” Mr. Lee Soo Man our chief is very mad at me right now.

 

‘But I do have my reasons why I’ve been sleep deprived recently.’

 

I bow my head, “I’m sorry chief,” and silently cursed my annoying neighbor Lee ing Donghae.

 

 

It’s been 3 months since I moved in to my current apartment in Incheon. The location is really desirable for all kinds of transportation—though I have car provided by our company. The unit is very spacious and affordable. I don’t have any reason to hate the place so on that day, I signed the 3 years contract of my current apartment unit.

 

It was the biggest mistake I made in my life. I don’t have any problem at morning. The sun shines brightly and the ambiance of the whole place is good—but at night, that’s another story. You see I have the most annoying neighbor in the entire world.

 

I haven’t seen him, but I hate him already. The first few weeks was good, but on my first month, that freaking Lee Donghae ruined my perfectly new life. The building owner told me that Lee Donghae was one of the most professional and leading composer in Korea. He made few songs for one the biggest boy group in Korea, Super Junior. He composed, ‘Shirt’, ‘Y’, ‘A Short Journey’, and many more.

 

I’m a detective so I did some research and damn, that Lee Donghae is really famous. What I noticed from his profile was he never post his pictures on his SNS accounts. Even the members of Super Junior haven’t seen Lee Donghae yet.

 

So I asked my landlady again for more information. I don’t want to act impulsive and barged in Lee Donghae’s unit without any information about him. So the landlady told me that Lee Donghae was such a sweetheart. He helped the landlady a lot of times. Carrying her heavy shopping bags. Calling the taxi. Paying the taxi. Giving out foods occasionally—and many more.

 

She also told me that Lee Donghae is very nocturnal. That guy told her that great ideas happen in midnight. That answered the question on why we haven’t met even though we are both living on the same floor and our units are beside each other.

 

Being a composer and nocturnal is not a sin, but playing different kinds of musical instruments in the middle of the night is really annoying. I tried to enjoy it at first. It’s not every day that a very famous composer play some music for you—for free, but that freaking Lee Donghae keeps on changing the instruments a lot.

 

Drums, piano, saxophone, violin, guitar, electric guitar, flute, and other stuff can be heard every freaking night at Lee Donghae’s unit. I don’t have time to sleep already because of the noises that he is making every freaking time I’m about to sleep.

 

 

“I hope that I can sleep peacefully tonight. I need to work on the black suit case tomorrow.” I mumbled while silently praying for some miracles to happen. I was walking on the 12th floor corridor when I noticed a body curled in front of my unit’s door. The person’s head is in between his knees—he looks like a lost grown up boy—man.

 

I cleared my throat to catch the person’s attention, “Are you lost?” I asked when he didn’t more an inch.

 

But I didn’t get any reply, “Are you drunk? I can call the landlady for help if you want.” I offered my help already. I don’t have the heart to let this man spend the rest of his night in front of my unit.

 

“I—” he squeaked and slowly raise his head, “I only need you Lee Hyukjae,” he said with the softest voice I ever heard in my entire life.

 

‘Damn this boy—he looks so fine!’

 

I gulped my imaginary lump and try to think coherently, “Who—how—Who are you?” perfect Hyukjae, you can embarrass yourself in front of this boy as much as you want.

 

This is the first time I saw him in this building. I don’t think I will forget him if we happen to cross path with each other already. Those round brown orbs, slick messy black hair, pointed nose, and red thin lips are something that I can’t forget.

 

Am I praising his facial feature so much? Well I must confess, I am biual. I am attracted to both girls and boys—and this appetizing guy in front of me is totally my style.

 

His eyes starts to water, “The—the landlady said—that you—are a detective—Lee Hyukjae-sshi. I—I need your help.” Now this is a different story. This guy in front of me needs the professional Lee Hyukjae—not the ert Lee Hyukjae. I squat in front of him, “How can I help you?” I asked him with the softest voice I can managed.

 

His lips are trembling and fresh thread of tears are rolling down from his face, “Some—body—stole my demo song~” he sobs. I was petrified for few moments. This guy—this freaking guy in front of me right now—the guy that I though was my style—is my freaking neighbor, “Are you—Lee Donghae?” I asked him.

 

He bit his lower lips, “Neh~” before answering.

 

‘Oh boy~’

 

I cleared my throat again before standing up, “Well Mr. Lee Donghae—” I used my professional and business tone, “It’s not appropriate for us to talk in front of my unit, would you mind if we enter my apartment?” and I offer my hand to him. Looks like he’s in desperate moment of his life because without thinking twice, he grabbed my hand. I pulled him up and lead him inside my unit—without releasing his hand.

 

“I’m sorry, I haven’t cleaned my apartment yet,” I said while letting go of his hand. I opened the lights and lead him to the living room, “It—s okay—my room—is messier than—yours.” He said between his hiccups.

 

I nod my head, “Please make yourself at home, I’ll just change my clothes then we can talk about your case.” I didn’t wait for his reply, his mere existence inside my unit is suffocating me already.

 

I ran fast to my room and quickly shut the door close. “What the !” I mumbled. I can see my reflection on my full length mirror, “! ! ! That was freaking Lee Donghae!” the information processed already. I jump and silently scream, “What the ! He is my annoying neighbor Lee Donghae!” I continue, “He’s freaking—he—he— he’s totally my style.” I gave up when I remember how he looks like just now.

 

 

We are both sitting opposite to each other. We are using my dining table but we moved it in the middle of my living room. My laptop is on and Donghae’s not crying or hiccupping anymore. “Tell me your personal information and your concern,” I said. This kind of thing only happened in the interrogation room.

 

He’s still quivering, “Well—hi, I am Lee Donghae, 32 years old, my birthday is on October 15, 1986 and I’m a composer. I have one older brother who’s currently working on our family business shop called Grill05. My province is in Mokpo. I love Finding Nemo and Titanic. I easily cried at random things. I am single right now but I want to get married at the age of 33. I want to have—” “Alright, I think that’s enough for personal information Lee Donghae. Thank you so much, so tell me about your concerns.” I cut him. He was giving way way too much personal information.

 

‘But single? Noted that.’

 

“Well—I remember having my afternoon nap. I woke up around 6pm. Then I walked back to my working station to look for the demo CD because I need to submit it by tomorrow, but I cannot find it anymore. I almost turn my unit upside down, but I cannot find it.” I was typing while he was talking. It doesn’t sound like a big case—but for the sake of his peace of mind, I need to help him.

 

I hummed and put my hand on my chin to think, “Are you sure that you didn’t misplace it?” I asked him. There’s a big possibility that he just forget where he put it, “No—I’m sure of it. I may be messy, but I know where I put my music.” I would really like to focus on my investigation but this guy needs to chill. He keeps on biting his lips and it’s messing up my head big time.

 

I cleared my throat again, “Well—whenever we conduct any investigation, the client needs to re-track his activities for the whole day. Every person that you interact with are possible suspect.” I need to use the basic element of my job. I don’t usually like this part b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter