Chapter 7

The Only Star in the Sky

A/N

Another update! To be very honest, I am so lost in where I am in terms of writing xD My essays and exams just made my mind even messier.

So if ever you are confused, don't hesitate to comment down below and I'll try mt best to edit it. Also mention any wrong spellings and grammars because my eyes are too strained looking at the computer screen for a long time.

Anyways, sorry for the delay. A few more weeks (less than 2) and I will be able to update regurly (every 2 weeks max).

 

Without further ado, here is chapter 7. A bit boring for now but it will get better.... hopefully.....

 

Enjoy!

 

 

Chapter 7

 

In and out.

In and out.

In and out.

Some of you dirty minded people might think of that but in this case, it's not. That was my consiousness for the past five years. My body was probably dead (not in literal sense because I cannot die) and it was my mind working, my ears listening an and my heart longing. Of course, I never realized five years had actually passed. It didn't feel that long. Once I heard that I was in this condition for that long, an energy that was building up triggered an explosion after a voice echoed thorugh my ears. It gave me the strength to move. Every single centimeter of movement was painful but that didn't mind me. And then I saw his eyes. 

'I missed you.' Another voice echoed but this time it was in my head. Over and over and over again. It got louder and louder the longer I look. It was a strong magnetic pull I couldn't get away from. The attraction was too strong and even I wondered why. The thought of who these people were didn't even cross my mind. My hands wanted to reach out but pain would be shooting through my body if I did.

He came over and placed his thumb in between my eyebrows. That simple caress gave me comfort and I closed my eyes to savour that feeling. He touched me in that small area alone but I could feel his hands all over me at the same time, like he was checking it. And I didn't object.

As he spoke, his voice gave my heart the flutter. I wasn't a teenager in love or anything and love at first sight was an experience I was so familiar. A few men came into my life, we got married but could never had children because either they died before we could have any or the heavens did not allow us to have one. I loved them like they were my soulmate, the other half of me. The unconditional love I gave ended me up in heart break. And this cycle continued to circle with no indications of stopping.

Speaking of love, it wasn't that long ago that I completely gave up falling in love again. It was around two hundred years or so when I was in the south of the country living my new life as a different person. It was a nice small town on the phase of development. I lived in an area with no peace or quiet at any time of the day. It used to irritate me to my bones but I had to learn how to deal with it. I had to hide away from my old life (you know what I mean by now) and this town was the perfect place to lay low for a while, around fifty years.

I worked temporily in a tiny family owned shop. It was more like I volunteered. I loved their rice cake and I did have an ulterior motive; to obtain the recipe and try to make something similar of my own and turn it into business. However, it didn't happen and I was glad. 

Back to my love life story, the next in line to the business was a young widower with an infant child. That was another job of mine while I was there; watch over the baby while the father works. How I fell in love with him was quite mysterious. He was no where near my type of a man yet he captured my heart through his interactions with his baby. I could see his love overflowing for his child everytime I saw them. There were times I thought he had something for me becaue of his actions such as giving me flowers, inviting me for a walk after a long day's work or holding my hand whenever we walked through a crowded place. This provided me with misunderstandings and at the end, I confessed. He didn't even hesitate before he rejected me flat. His reason was his love for his dead wife which I understood because that was what I felt towards my lovers who died before me. I loved them.

It was then I realized I had to stop loving. Loving somebody would give me temporary happiness and an eternal heart break. What he showed was loving somebody, who was gone, was happiness alone because that special person was in his heart. What made me came up with the reason of stopping to love was nobody would love me as much as he loved his dear wife. Because I was alone. I had no children nor I had families. They all went away one by one at a young age so nobody suspected my eternal youth.

Since then, I isolated myself. I would interact if necessary. Other than that, I sealed myself off from the world.

That was the case until I met Irene. At that time, she was only a fresh graduate and her stubborness of wanting to be friends changed me for the better. It was a significant change and it made me feel like who I was before. I was no longer isolated because she was someone who connected  me to the rest of the world.

From then on, I wasn't alone. I got to know more and more people and it made me realize how fun it was to live. Of course, there were wars, discrimination and poverty but if you look at the other side of things, living was the most beautiful experience each of us could get. The skies, the seas, the land... you wouldn't find that anywhere else except when you are living. Some people believe in the concept of heaven or the world beyond the River Styx, and let's admit it, we don't know what the other side really looks like. All we know is that it is peaceful and a paradise.

For the years I was asleep, I wasn't in a world separate of our own. I knew I was lying down with my mind drifting everywhere, still alive. Stupid Irene kept me alive. 

But something has changed. It was like another person living in my head was telling me to get up and never go back to that dark world. It was shouting at me to face everything and I would get what I have always wanted. To uncover the mystery and close the case. And I had a feeling I was going to do that. But for now, I want to stay in the darkness a bit longer and maybe the deities would decide to make me stay there permanently.

 

A slam of Changsub's hand on the desk grabbed the attention of the two others who were both busy looking at papers, papers and even more papers. He got sick of looking at books and that was what they have been doing for the past month. That means the moon had a full rotation around Earth and nothing changed. They did not find anything they were looking for and if they did have a lead, it would always have a dead-end. Perhaps, Sooyoung was the first  of its kind.

"You two, get up," he said with hands in his pockets.

"Not now Changsub," Sungjae flicked his hands for him to leave him alone. "You'll lose my train of thought."

Changsub's lips thined into a straight line, heaving a sigh before lifting Irene off her seat by placing his arm underneath her armpits and pulling her up to drag out of the room. Irene screamed her lungs out at the unexpected actions of Changsub but she wasn't as strong as him so she was easily carried away. Sungjae, who was sitting at his desk with mouth wide open at the sight, decided to move and followed Changsub before he, too, would be dragged out just like how Changsub dragged Irene. It wouldn't look cool at all if anybody saw that image.

Before they knew it, they were at the entrance of what looked like an amusement park. The roller coaster rail could be seen from the entrance gate and a drop tower of around 100m. Irene was not a fan of any rides especially the ones that would make her stomach drop. 

"What is this?" Sungjae asked. 

Changsub opened his arms out and introduced the place, "This is Land Under the Sun."

"What are we doing here?" asked Irene who was looking pretty as ever with her floral printed blouse and ripped skinny jeans. The cool air of spring allowed her to finally wear clothes with flower prints on them. 

Changsub looked at Sungjae and handed him a long rectangular paper. "This is my present for you, Sol. Remember five years ago, I told you this place was my present for you so that whenever you decide you want to visit here, you can always play here for free. Anytime."

Sungjae pinched his nose bridge and replied, "Thank you very much Changsub but this is not the time to have fun and games. We have to find some sort of understanding to everything. We don't have enough time. I can already feel them coming."

"That's why we enjoy ourselves before no longer have that opportunity." Changsub placed a hand on Sungjae's shoulder. "Sol, when you get back, you will be working your off for at least a millenia so you better-"

"What do you mean you can feel them coming? Who's coming for Sooyoung?" A panicked Irene interrupted the two who was conversing in their own little world. 

It may due to his tiredness that Sungjae accidently let a slip of a tongue. He wanted to smack himself internally. He caused Irene to look even more anxious. "With my prolonged stay here on Earth, they have suspicions of me and the fact that I am living with a myterious being activated their investigation protocol."

"And what is that?"

"It just means a group of aliens will come to investigate the unknown being, that is the lady sleeping, and if they deemed her dangerous she would be annihilated immediately," Sungjae explained as best as he could to the panicked Irene, which he doubted he did. "In short, they will check if she is of threat to everybody, which is very unlikely. But it would best if we found the answers to the questions before they arrive. I have a feeling it wouldn't be a straighforward case once it has started."

Color slowly returned to Irene's face as soon as she understood. "I'll try my best to be of assistance as long as she isn't taken away from me. She is very important and I hope you understand that."

The corner of Sungjae's lips twitched. He lifted his hand and placed it on her head initially before sliding it down to her cheeks, caressing it with his thumb. "Don't worry. She will be safe."

While it may seem both Irene and Sungjae were in their own little world, Changsub was at the sideline trying his best not to even grin. He wanted to give them more time but his surpise would no longer work if it was even delayed by a millisecond. "Okay, love birds. Stop mate tweeting and let's go enjoy. Like you, Sol, mentioned, time is of the essence."

They both stared at Changsub to strangely and followed the man through the entrance. Hundreds of staff lined up with their bodies bowed towards the incoming first guests. A loud bang echoed across the park as a firework display opened the park and millions of pink confettis were set off which resembled fallen cherry blossoms. Music were blasted and dancers started dancing. Changsub took the big scissors on top of a red velvet cushion being carried by one of staff and cutted the red ribbon which officiates the opening of amusement park.

Another staff approched the group and gave each of them a brochure of the park which contained a map and available activities. "This is one of the biggest amusement parks here so a full day is not enough to enjoy this place to fullest," Changsub explained.

"We won't be here for the whole day, Chansub," Sungjae reminded.

"Of course we won't!" he sarcastically replied before pushing the two to their first agenda: Roller Coaster.

 

 

"Wtih both their memories erased, it should be fine." A man covered in a black cloak looked at the swirling mirror which showed an image of the King of Sun and the sleeping Sooyoung.

"Stop being such a lay back. As soon as they met, the cogs of their destiny have changed and it has turned back to the rust which we debrided and resetted new. What are we going to do once both of their memories returned?" Another man in black cloak retaliated.

"Once that happens, the former moon goddess will suffer even more."