His Emerald Eyes

Broken.

“Tell me your name before you leave…”

 

“Jeonghan...Call me Han.”

 

“Will you come back?”

 

“If you continue to interest me.”

 

~

 

There was a soft knock on the door accompanied by Sebastian’s calming voice, “It’s time to wake up, young master.”

 

“I’m awake, Sebastian,” Joshua answered, “I’ll be out in a moment.”

 

Joshua listened quietly as Sebastian’s footsteps faded. His room was dark, no light seeping in besides the gap at the bottom of the door. He didn’t need to see for his eyes were always excellent at adjusting to the dark.

 

He ed his nightgown, letting it fall onto the wooden floor and reached for the only outfit he owned- a white dress shirt and black dress pants. Picking up the comb on his bedside table and brushed his brown hair into place. Every single strand in the correct spot- perfect.

 

“Sebastian, are you going out today?” Joshua questioned as he exited room, his pupils constricting as natural light surrounded him.

 

The mansion that his parents owned was massive, far too large for just his parent’s and him. There were only three servants including Sebastian. There was Janet, the cleaning lady who only came three times every week, and Asher, the chef that cooked their meals. Then there was Sebastian, the main servant of the house. He had been there since before Joshua could remember, constantly by his or his parents’ side. Often times he forgot Sebastian was even there.

 

“Yes, just for a bit,” Sebastian answered as Joshua made his way down the crystal stairs. “Your parent’s left me with a few errands. Janet will be coming in as usual so behave yourself.”

 

“Oh, is it Friday already?”Joshua raised his eyebrows.

 

Sebastian smiled at Joshua, “You don’t need to pretend to be surprised, young master.”

 

Joshua looked into Sebastian’s eyes - a dark oak - and smiled, “I’ll be in my study.” The male turned and walked down one of the long hallways. Sebastian bowed to the young master’s small back.

 

“Yes, young master.”

 

~

 

Joshua lost track of time when he was working. None of the elements really affected him- he didn’t feel hungry, and no one ever came to disturb him, his table lamp even automatically when it grew dark. So when his parents didn’t bring him out for interviews or special dinners, he was isolated to his study. Morning to night, every single day. That was why he lost track of time- every day was practically the same.

 

There was a gentle knock at the door that finally prompted Joshua to comprehend his surroundings. 5:15PM.

 

“Young master? Would you like me to tidy up the study?” It was Janet.

 

“No, it’s fine, Janet.” Joshua answered and her footsteps faded away sequentially. Every day that Janet came, she knocked on his door at exactly 5:15 PM.

 

Joshua spinned himself to look out the open sliding door. A constant soft breeze caused the translucent curtains to flutter gently. The almost dark sky signalled that winter was upon them.

 

The stars are out tonight. It wasn’t often that Joshua could see the stars, the environment had become worse than ever so there were barely any days when the stars would shine through the pollution.


 

Joshua closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair. There was a calming silence as the cool wind blew gently against his pearly skin.

 

“You really shouldn’t leave your door open this late.”

 

The calming silence shattered as Joshua felt a slight sting on his neck. He opened his eyes, revealing a figure holding a knife to his throat. The lower part of his face was covered with a mask and he wore a black hood over his hair.

 

“Are you a thief?” Joshua questioned, gazing into the stranger’s glowing emerald eyes.

 

“Interesting, that’s the first you are concerned with?” The stranger’s voice was clean, similar to Joshua’s but with more of an edge.

 

“Mm…” Joshua’s mind raced, “How did you get in?”

 

“Better question,” The stranger flipped his hood down revealing beautiful white hair that was  slightly tousled. “I came through the door of course.”

 

“How did you get through the gate then? There’s electrical wire, no way you could’ve gone over.”

 

With his free hand the stranger pulled a glass card out of his pocket, “I’ve got connections in high places.”

 

Joshua’s eyes scanned over the glass card, “An access card? A stranger that has connections to the government? Not something any random thief would have.”

 

“Good deduction,” The male ripped off his face mask to reveal a smirk. “Now, deduce this. How do you think I know you, and how do you think I found your house?”

 

Joshua frowned, “If you came here just to ask me for deductions, I’m rather disappointed.”

 

“Why? Do you get more interesting visitors?” The male raised his eyebrows.

 

Joshua smiled, “No, none that are as skilled as you. Also, I suggest you remove the knife from my neck very slowly. You’re standing on an explosive right now.”

 

The male stiffened ever so slightly and he looked down at his feet. In the corner of the tile he was standing on, there was a red illuminated light.

 

“Do you want me to dismantle it?” Joshua leaned back in his chair even further so that the knife no longer made contact.

 

“...I could just blow the both of us up right now. How do you know I’m not going to?” Despite stepping on death’s door, the stranger’s eyes still blazed brightly.

 

“A stranger that isn’t a thief and has enough connections to gain an access card,” Joshua eyes gleamed, “you didn’t come here to kill me, at least not with a motive worth your life. Am I right, or am I right?”

 

The stranger gazed into Joshua’s eyes and they stared at each other for a good ten seconds before the former let out a deep sigh. “You win.” He said and dropped his arms.

 

“Give me a second, let me dismantle the explosive.” The male turned his chair and began typing on his computer.

 

“Why are you dismantling it?” The male asked suspiciously, “Why not call your servants?”

 

There was a beep and when the male looked down at his feet, he noticed the light had disappeared. “This is the most exciting thing that’s happened in months.” The male turned to face the stranger again, a surreal smile on his face.

 

“Ha… you must be insane.” Jeonghan relaxed his shoulders and slipped the knife back into his pocket.

 

“Do you not like my personality?” Joshua tilted his head, his eyes almost vying for interest.

 

The male ran his hands through his shocking hair, “If what you have is a personality.” He snorted, “Why the do you even have weight detecting tiled floors? And why doesn’t it affect you?”

 

“You’re asking the wrong questions,” Joshua spoke in a similar demeanor to the stranger’s, perhaps he was adapting his behaviour, “You know who I am, you can deduce easily that I programmed them myself, of course they wouldn’t affect me. Unless… you’re not as intelligent as I thought you were?”

 

The stranger sighed, “Fine. If those explosives were created by you, why do they not affect the other people in this mansion? Your parents, your servants?”

 

“Better,” Joshua stood up, “that is because no one ever comes into this room. Just like rooms containing secrets or riches, this room has security. Within this computer, there are knowledges that cannot be attained by any regular thief or rich businessman. If anyone besides myself were to step into this room, the whole room would blow up, destroying my computer with it of course. Make sense?”

 

“So then what makes you so sure I’m not going to steal your laptop now that you’ve deactivated the explosives?” The stranger smirked.

 

Joshua was now inches from the stranger’s face, “Trust makes you do strange things.”

 

To that, the stranger burst out in laughter. “You’re the child of Mr. Hong, you’re not capable of trust.”

 

“So you know that much,” Joshua blinked, “every inch of my brain is telling me to call Sebastian right now and have you escorted out. However, this is far too interesting and compelling.”

 

The stranger placed his hands on his hips, “You must be-”

 

Both Joshua and the stranger froze at the sound of a knock at the door.

 

“Joshua, is there someone in there?”

 

Sebastian. “It’s just me, Sebastian.” Joshua’s voice was smooth and unwavering.

 

“...I’ll come back when it’s time for you to retire to your room.” Sebastian said and his footsteps disappeared.

 

The moment Sebastian was out of earshot, Joshua hurriedly typed on his computer.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“I need to edit the camera footage of my room,” Joshua typed vigorously, “Sebastian is bound to check the footage when he gets to his room.”

 

“I should get going then, it’s late.” The stranger began to turn.

 

“Wait!” Joshua looked at the stranger with wild eyes, “Tell me your name before you leave…”

 

The stranger seemed surprised that Joshua had risen his voice, “Jeonghan...call me Han.”

 

Han. “Will you come back?”

 

Jeonghan smirked, pulling his hood over his white hair, “If you continue to interest me.” He said and disappeared from the door into the night.

 

Joshua stood there for several seconds, his mind racing. Ah. He turned and finished editing the footage and then sat down in his chair. 6:00PM. It was like everything had been a dream. Joshua typed something into his computer and a video popped up. The original camera footage.

 

“Call me Han.”

 

Joshua dragged the video into his internal hardware. Han, what an interesting person.

 

~

 

“ing hell, did you knock me out?” Seungcheol sat up on the floor, cracking his neck and arms.

 

“Sure did,” Jeonghan was sitting back on his torn armchair. “You were long gone anyways.”

 

“Sorry… I’m working on it.” Seungcheol mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

Jeonghan twirled Seungcheol’s knife, “You’re never going to rid yourself of it. Not unless you get professional help. I warned you, you can’t go back.”

 

“...I’ll get professional help then.”

 

“By professional help, do you mean drinking it off?” Jeonghan glared at the male.

 

“Jeonghan, why can’t you even be slightly supportive?”

 

“You want to know ing why?” Jeonghan practically growled, “We were always together, Seungcheol, we protected each other in this messed up twisted world. That is until you got yourself involved in drugs. Do you know how many times people have come and beat me up because you owed them money? Do you know where you were during that time!? You were high beyond belief! It must’ve felt good to rid yourself of all your problems while I took the beating for you.” Jeonghan stormed towards Seungcheol, “I lost my brother the moment he injected that drug into his veins,” He glared, “You look nothing like my older brother.” Jeonghan spat and stormed out of the room.

 

~

 

Jeonghan’s emerald eyes burned as he walked down the busy streets of the poor district. It was true he had lost his brother. The moment that he injected himself with the drug, the light forever left his eyes.


A/N: Hey guys! So, I was going to upload this on Monday, but I couldn't resist keeping it from you guys. I'm really enjoying your comments as always so feel free to let me know what you think of the story so far~ I try to reply to everyone~ How are you liking the style so far? A little different from my previous fic, if you've noticed. Let me know down below ^^ Thanks for the attention~