First and Final

Song Bird

There's not many things that I was meant to do. At least, there's nothing that I can really think of anyway. When I was a child I wasn't extraordinarily gifted with anything that would land me on some big TV show to broadcast me all over Korea. I never excelled in academics that won me awards or promised me into a fantastic university. However, there was something that I think was given to me. Everyone has a talent, mine just so happens to be singing. I never was really one to believe I sounded super fantastic, but I've been compliments time and time again that seem to go against my own thoughts.

Things like: "You sound so beautiful." or "Your voice gave me chills!" have been told to me before, one of my personal favorites happened to be (and from my own mother), "My little girl has the voice of a star! I'm so embarrassed she's never sang in front of me before!" Her dramatics were something I found funny. In my own ears I sound average, nothing to hype up.

In my first year of high school, I was given the spot to lead the female section of the choir. I was shocked and even three years later up to my senior year, I still can't believe I've been given this position. Surely I would've thought a new girl would have came in that would blown everyone away and have me 'dethroned'. Yet, I am still here.

Along with a female lead, there is a male lead. God, I still remember the very first day of my first year when I heard him. He was beautiful and had a bright, yet warm tone. People complimented me and I appreciated it, yet, all I could hear was him. Something about the way he controlled his voice and produced such a wonderful sound made my heart beat a mile a minute. It made me excited when he sang a pop song for a school play, it made me feel sadness when he sang a powerful ballad, he made me blush when he sang a love song which sometimes I had wished he sang to me.

From then, up until now as we watched each other grow into the almost adults we are now, I haven't found a voice that's better than his.

"Hey, you gotta sing your part!" A girl, I think her name is Wendy, whisper-yelled through her teeth. She elbowed me a bit and that's when I had caught myself staring at Baekhyun. While my eyes were locked on his, everyone else's (including my annoyed looking teacher) eyes were on me, including Baekhyun's, waiting for me to sing the next part.

I fumbled, opening my book to the graduation song we're to perform in a few weeks. "U-um..." My hands were shaking and I could feel my cheeks heating to the max. I can't believe I just did that, I mentally scolded myself. I take in a deep breath, feeling my diaphragm expand and was about to sing the first word of the song until I saw my teachers hand raised in the air. I closed my mouth slowly along with the song book, letting the air I inhaled release from my nose.

Ms. Song sighed, "I think that's enough for today." She rubbed her temples. Students began gathering their things and talking about other conversations they had to keep on hold as we were practicing today.

I gathered my own bag and kept my head low, still embarrassed over my earlier mistake. I felt someone gently tap my shoulder and I wished he had given me a warning before suddenly showing up in front of me. Baekhyun gave me a shy smile, his eyes closing just a bit and he laughed breathily, sending my heart fluttering.

"Y-yes?" I stutter.

Baekhyun scratches at the nape of his neck. "Ms. Song was a bit mean to you back there, I don't think she's quite aware of how stressed we are. I don't blame you for zoning out." He finished with a chuckle. I truly only distracted because of how good he had sounded, even when his voice cracked a little, I found it cute.

"Oh," I smile a bit. "Yeah, exams have been really tough..." I chew on my bottom lip, searching for something else to say, but nothing comes to mind.

Instead of finding it weird I had gone silent like that, Baekhyun's eyes softened and he patted my shoulder gently. "You'll be alright next time. I'll see you." He waved as he left. My teacher made one final announcement, one that I was dreading for the last two weeks since the principal stated it.

"Remember to think of a theme for the senior festival! Each homeroom should turn in their final ideas by the end of this week!"

Graduation was coming up and that meant the end of this. The end of this little slice of heaven this music room has become to me. Yet, that wasn't the only thing I was leaving behind, but I was also going to lose hearing my favorite voice every day before lunch. I would be losing those minutes I spent counting until I came to this room.

Sure I wouldn't stop singing, and I could definitely join another chorus. However, at the same time, it wouldn't be the same without him there.

 

"You're telling me you acted like a hermit crab when he was right in front of you!" Joy slapped my back. She spent the last ten minutes grilling me after I had told her that Baekhyun spoke to me before practice had ended. "I can't believe you!" I whined when she threw a chip at me. Joy only scowled instead of feeling bad for the abuse she's been giving me.

Joy has been a good friend of mine ever since she moved here to Seoul two years ago. It wasn't like she had any trouble finding friends, in fact she's on the more popular side around here. She's pretty, tall, has a certain talent for acting, and of course she has the boys trailing behind her like lost puppies. For some reason, the two of us clicked, even though we're total opposites in terms of personality.

I groan, tucking my head into my knees where I'm almost in a ball. "I couldn't think of what to say. He's just so handsome up close I was shocked, okay?" I plead my case, and thankfully, instead of causing me anymore harm like she had done before; she cooed. I roll my eyes at the sudden change of attitude.

"Okay, okay." Her palms move in circles against my back. "As a supportive friend, I'll sympathize with you." I beam at her, finally grateful she sees things from my point of view. "But I do think I should be giving you flirting tips." As soon as she said that, the smile I was wearing fell from my face and I looked at her blankly.

"You killed the moment." I told her flatly.

"What!?" She exclaims. "I thought I was being helpful!" I snap my head towards her only to heave a sigh when she's fixing (her excuse to look at herself) her flyaways in her favorite hand held mirror. I couldn't understand her, or maybe, I don't understand why I couldn't be like her. A girly girl that's actually good with boys. She wants someone, and she could have them wrapped around her finger in a matter of seconds.

I was going to mention something else to her when one of the boys in my homeroom, Kai I think his name is, walks towards us (more so like looking at Joy and only taking a split moment to glance at me).

The girl sees him and instantly perks up. "Oh, hey Kai!"

Kai his head towards the direction from which he came. "I just went to the 7-11 and saw on my way back that you aren't eating, and you're alone." My mouth slightly parts, did he not see that I was right here, just talking to her?

Joy shakes her head while pointing one of her dainty fingers towards me, "I'm not alone, I'm sitting with my friend."

He turns his head and looks at me longer than he had before when he first waltzed over here. His eyes narrow for a second, almost like he's trying to recognize something about me. Something clicks in his brain and his features brighten, clapping his hands at the same time. "You're that girl with the amazing voice! Leader of the female choir right?"

Shyly I nod my head. "That's me I guess." I confirm, my voice low. Joy comes behind me, hugging my shoulders and proudly stating:

"She's the best singer ever! Not even So Chan Hwee can hit notes as high as she can!" My eyes widen at the sudden compliment (at least I think it was a compliment). I elbow her stomach slightly and mumble to her to stop, but she's just like my mother, they're both very, very boastful.

Kai nods, the look of amazement still on his face. "Oh!" He juts his thumb. "I wanted to ask if you wanted to eat with me and a couple of other friends. We don't mind sharing." Joy accepts already walking along with Kai. Not really sure what to do since it would be awkward to join with Joy's friends, I kind of just stand in place, hoping I didn't look stupid or that anyone around doesn't think I just got ditched.

Noticing that I wasn't following along, the pair stop and look behind them. Kai waves over, a gentle smile on his face. "That means you too." I bite my lip and walk along side them, sticking close to Joy and only humming to whatever conversation they were having.

 

 

Kai lead us to the outdoors common area which was a lot more packed and rowdy than the back of the school where Joy and I usually go to eat. Kai signals over to his friends, waving enthusiastically like a child would and they wave back. I only recognize a few, only three, those three were in my homeroom class. It was Chanyeol who I labeled as giant. Sehun who I nicknamed as moody. Then this kid Taemin who I labeled as one of the otome characters I sometimes play with. Walking closer, I notice someone else that causes me to freeze in my tracks.

It was Baekhyun.

He was different, he wasn't acting closed off and shy like how he usually is in practice. He's joking, quite loudly, with the giant boy Chanyeol. Throwing food, tackling his other friends, even swearing a bit.

I tug on Joy's shirt. She turns around after letting Kai know she'll catch up in a few. I point to the boy who was currently chugging down a soda without taking a breath. "I-it's..." I swallow. "It's Baekhyun." Joy flips her hair to see what I was seeing. She wasted no time grabbing me with a giddy look on her face that scared me damn near half to death.

"This is good for you!"

My eyes nearly fall out my head. "Good for me?"

She bobs her head. "Yes, you can't spend the rest of what's left of your senior year avoiding him and acting all shy around him! I won't allow it, now let's get over there!" I gulp as she takes, or more like drags, me behind her until we're met up with Kai and his group. Said boy raises an eyebrow. "Everything alright?" He asks, taking a peek at my worried state. Joy smiles and tells him that I had just forgotten to hand in an assignment.

"That , but maybe the teacher will be lenient." Kai says. I really can't believe he bought that, actually, I can't believe Joy came up with that on the spot so quickly and easily. I take a seat on one of the cement steps, next to Chanyeol (who came in handy, he's so much taller than me, he was blocking the sun from my eyes). I still can't breathe knowing that Baekhyun was only a few feet away from me. I swallow hard and try to regulate my breath, but nothing is seeming to work.

"Want one?" Baekhyun offers, holding a wrapped kimbap triangle in his hand. I take it silently, bowing my head and thanking him in the softest voice I think I've ever spoken in.

As I nibble on my food, Chanyeol speaks up. "Has anyone thought of what we can do for the summer festival?" The boy groans, ruffling his hair to the point where it's sticking up in different places. "We can't just turn up with a blank sheet of paper, the other homerooms are gonna have flashier themes and we'll look so lame." I giggle, finding it funny he cared so much about something like the end of the year festival. The seniors before us never went all out, I don't think that school is expecting too much from us this year.

"You don't need to worry so much man," Baekhyun starts, clapping his giant friend on the back. "I doubt teachers are expecting us to pull off something grand."

My mouth stops chewing for a moment. I wonder if I had just said my thoughts out loud, but it seems I haven't. Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one thinking it.

For a second, I look up and catch Joy's eye. The girl is wearing a sinister look on her face and it freaks me out. She must be thinking of something, and whenever she thinks of something, that means I'll be involved as well. Whatever she's thinking, I shake my head subtly telling her to knock it off. But, just like Joy always does, she does the exact opposite and raises her hand high up in the air, catching the attention of everyone.

"I have a good idea that I think everyone will love." Everyone's ears perk up, all except for mine, right now I'm looking for the nearest escape route. Before I can politely excuse myself and say I have to go to the bathroom or something, the girl places two fingers out in front of her, landing on myself and Baekhyun. I shake my head a little more obviously now, but she only continues. "Right around this time is the Dream Concert anyway, since we can't go see our favorite idols because we'll be completing final exams," She her head, her red stained lips forming into a lopsided grin. "Why don't we put on our own version of the Dream Concert with our very own idols?"

All eyes fall onto Baekhyun and myself. I feel uncomfortable under the attention, but once I see them all nod unanimously, I feel my heart sink. I'm okay with singing with my choir, but when it's on stage singing in costumes, I get the worst stage fright.

Chanyeol claps his hands and gives Joy a high five. "Not a bad idea, pretty and smart." Joy flips her hair and shrugs her shoulders already knowing what Chanyeol told her.

"Sehun, you, and I can put on a dance! Maybe we can call your friend Yixing hyung to help too!" Taemin mumbles to Kai as the food he's eating puffs out his cheeks, some of it even falling from his mouth. Everyone is thinking of different things to do thanks to Joy, and even though I'm glad we don't have to anything cringe worthy like a half-'d original play, I wish she would've put me on staff or something.

I wince when the girl opens to speak again. "So it's settled?" Sounds of agreement ring around the group while Baekhyun and I are sitting silent. That same devilish grin returns on Joy's face. "So we'll have our two main stars do a duet together. They'll be something to remember for sure!"

I couldn't refuse now, it'd make me look so lame if I copped out. All I can do is sit with my fists balled up around the ends of my skirt. From the corner of my eye I see Baekhyun wiping the palms of his hands on his slacks.

Joy calls my name. "Sound good?"

I nod my head and with a shaky, nerve-wracked tone, I say, "O-okay."


I tap my pencil against my notebook, listening to my teacher rambling on about some war that took place. I see Joy next to me nervously chewing on her bottom lip, sometimes darting her eyes to look at me in a puppy dog manner, but every time she does so, I childishly turn my head to look outside the window.

I haven't spoken to Joy since lunch that day, almost a week ago. I don't know why I'm mad at her, but maybe it's because she so suddenly put me on the spot like that.

"You can't spend the rest of what's left of your senior year avoiding him and acting all shy around him! I won't allow it!"

I roll my eyes when I remember her words. Yeah right. Baekhyun doesn't want to do this as much as I don't want to. Just then, I slap my hand to my forehead. He must be feeling awful, we've ever spoken and we're suddenly forced to sing together? I don't even know what song we're going to be singing together.

Class drones on for another fifteen minutes or so before the bell rings. Our teacher reminds us again about the festival and it really makes me want to shove a sock where the sun doesn't shine. I'm tired of hearing about this festival, I wish it could be cancelled and I can save myself the embarrassment I'll put myself through.

Joy reaches me before I leave the classroom and she stands in front of me, blocking me from going any further. "You mad at me?" She asks cautiously.

I sigh. She's only trying to be a good friend by helping me out, I can't stay mad at her for forever over something this petty. "No, but you really should give me some fair warning before coming up with your little schemes." I press my index finger with a bit more pressure to the middle of her forehead. The girl yelps, rubbing the now red spot. Joy smiles now that I've forgiven her and hooks her arm around mine.

We walk down the hallway like this until we reach the girls bathroom. "At the end of school, Chanyeol told me that he has something to give you. I don't know what it is, but he just told me to tell you that you need to meet him in the band room right after school. Cool?"

I bob my shoulders. "That's fine with me. I'll text you in a bit."

When school was finally finished for the day, I text my mom telling her that i'll be coming home just a bit late today. I pocket my device, sighing once I realize that this little show that Joy wants to put on is really happening. I don't even know how I'm going to tell my mom without her bringing more than five cameras and half the neighborhood to the event. I guess Joy succeeded in bringing life into this usually boring senior festival.

The band room is at the far east wing of the school, close to where the choir room is. I am walking on my way until I hear hard, heavy footsteps behind me and someone pleading for me to wait. I stop and turn a little to see Baekhyun heaving and catching his breath.

"For someone so small, you sure do walk fast." He mentions, still struggling to regain his breath. He stands to his full height now, still panting, but not as bad as before. Now, he looks at me, looking me in my eye. "Are you on your way to see Chanyeol too?"

I nod. I hate this, I always get too shy for words when he gets around me. Well. I'm like this with everyone, but with Baekhyun especially. My hands get all clammy, my heart races, and this hideous blush spreads across my cheeks. If we're going to be working together, I better get used to being around him without building up this wall.

He chuckles. "Not much of a talker, huh?" Only around you I'm not.

"Sorry..." I close my eyes tightly, holding my books tightly against my chest. "Y-you kinda intimidate me. So I..." I stop when I see a slight frown on his lips. His eyebrows furrow slightly and his head is tilted to the side a bit. "I-I didn't mean to offend you! I..." I want to say something, anything at this point, but I think it would be best for me to keep quiet.

The boy smiles easily, reassuring me and calming me down. "I hope through working together, you don't feel that way." He walks next to me, taking my books and slinging my bag over his shoulder. "I don't bite, well, Sehun might say otherwise, but for the most part I don't bite."

I laugh. He's a lot more playful than I thought he would be that's for sure. Maybe he's only reserved when around people in the choir, or that's just when he's really serious. He begins walking again, with my stuff still in his hands. "Y-you don't have to do that if you don't want to." I say, pointing to my things. Baekhyun blinks, reminding me a bit of what a puppy would do.

"I don't mind," I don't protest any further, but I still feel bad, and I think he notices. He hands me the book I was holding before. "There, now you don't have to feel so guilty. Now, let's get going, Chanyeol hates it when people are late."

We walked in silence for the most part, except for the times when Baekhyun wanted to crack a joke or two. I found myself a little more comfortable than I was before and I was grateful that I was beginning to feel a little at ease with him. It wasn't awkward, it felt...nice.

The two of us made it to the band room and just as Baekhyun had said, Chanyeol hates it when people are late. He had scolded us for so long I didn't even notice that there was another kid in the classroom with us. As Baekhyun and Chanyeol go back and forth bantering on how tardiness isn't a big deal (according to Baekhyun) and how tardiness is indeed a big deal (according to Chanyeol) I ask them, "Is he an underclassman?"

The kid (who's quite short for someone his age) stands and bows at Baekhyun and I. "I'm Lee Ji Hoon, but most people call me Woozi." He introduces with a cute smile. He reminded me a bit of a tiger cub to be honest. I introduce myself along with Baekhyun doing the same. "Hyung, you should tell them why they came." Woozi says, taking his seat at the piano now.

"You're not gonna kill us or anything, will you?" Baekhyun asks with feign fear in his tone. Chanyeol hits his arm, muttering, "Shut up, idiot." to the shorter boy.

"Anyway", Chanyeol claps his hands, sitting in front of the drum set. "Woozi and I have been working hard all week to prepare this song."

Baekhyun's features and mine as well, break out into one of amazement. "I didn't know that you composed?" I state, shocked that someone our age could be that advanced musically.

"He can't read notes either," Baekhyun adds, looking at his all too happy friend. "He plays all by ear."

"As much as I appreciate the praise, I need you guys to tell me if you think it's any good or not." Chanyeol nods at Woozi, signaling for him to begin playing. It was a jazz type of song with subtle RNB vibes that caused a smile to grow on my face. Chanyeol and Woozi sang back and forth in a playful manner to where it worked well, I see why he chose Woozi, his voice is high enough to where it can reach some female notes. It was a love song, Chanyeol had wrote us a love song to sing and I have this strong feeling that it was Joy that pushed him to do so.

When the song was over, Baekhyun and I clapped. Chanyeol wore a big toothy grin and Woozi did as well.

"That was just with the instruments themselves, I have the track with more added stuff back at home. I forgot my speaker today."

I smiled softly. "It was great Chanyeol, what did you name it?"

"Dream!" He exclaimed. "I think you both fit the song well and it matches the summer vibe well, it feels a bit vintage."

I bite the corner of my lip, suddenly feeling shy I'd be singing something like a confession song with my crush. I look to Baekhyun and he catches my eye. We hold each other's gaze for a moment before quickly looking the opposite way. Baekhyun clears his throat. "You did a good job, when can we get the lyrics'"

Chanyeol looks between us with a smile that reminds me of Joy's. I narrow my eyes slightly, but instead of saying something, Chanyeol digs into his book bag to give us paper that's a little crumpled. "Those are the lyrics, I highlighted which parts are yours." I scan over the lyrics, feeling my cheeks pink as I read more.

I gulp. "Thanks Chanyeol, for a second I was worried about what song we would do."

The giant shrugs. Don't sweat it, it was a lot of fun making it." That smile he had before returns and he adds one more thing. "I hope you two have even more fun singing it." Baekhyun opens his mouth, presumably to ask him what he meant by that which is what I had wanted to ask him, but Chanyeol beats him to saying anything more. "I'll send you the file Baekhyun, and then you can send it to her."

Baekhyun pouts a little. "Yeah, I'm good with that."

I check the time and curse under my breath. "Guys I've got to go, my mom is gonna kill me if I don't get home soon."

"Oh, Baekhyun can help see you out, right Baek?" Chanyeol asks with an expecting raised eyebrow.

I hear Baekhyun let out a nervous breath. "R-right."

Chanyeol looks satisfied, almost too satisfied by Baekhyun's answer. "Good, Woozi and I have to stay after a little longer. Get going, we want our star alive for the festival." He playfully shoos us out of the door, leaving us alone in the hallway. Just like before, Baekhyun had taken my things silently. Instead of laughing and cracking jokes like he was before, his face was a little cold.

Feeling like he really didn't want to walk with me, I parted away from him just a little bit. Baekhyun glances over, taking a few more looks before noticing that I was bit further away from him than before. "Everything okay?" Baekhyun asks, raising his eyebrow, slowing down once we reached the bus stop.

I don't want to make him feel upset like I think I made him feel earlier. I shrug. "I thought you might have wanted a bit of space."

His eyebrows dip. "Hm?" It takes him a moment, but then he quickly says, "Are you uncomfortable because we have to sing a love song together? I know we don't know each other well, b-but I think you have a beautiful voice, so don't let the lyrics-"

Although his stutters were cute, seeing him all flustered made me feel bad. "It's not like that Baekhyun," I giggle and shake my head at my own ridiculous thoughts. "I thought I was being a bit of a bother to you. When we left, you were kinda quiet and," I motion over my face. "Your facial expression was kind of cold."

Baekhyun sighs, hitting his head a little. "No, that's the last thing I feel towards you." My breath hitches and my heart beings to pound. In an instant I'm in a daze by that small sentence that I'm probably overthinking. "The guys usually tell me I have to work on my expressions, sometimes they tell me I looked pissed off. It's just, I guess it's called a resting face? That's what Joy called it once." He explains, smiling a little more now than he had before.

I blink. "You're fine, it was just me, I misunderstood."

Silence falls over us again, both of us looking to one another. It was different, I could swear that I saw a blush on Baekhyun's cheeks too. A pretty pink flush that complimented his own bubble gum colored lips. The air felt a bit heavier and the sound around me sort of faded, all I could hear was Baekhyun's breathing and my heart thumping so hard I could hear it in my ears. "You make me nervous too, you know?" Baekhyun confesses. He laughs and I feel his breath fan my face. "With a voice like that, I think it can make any man weak in the knees."

My cheeks burn and I my lips. "You flatter me too much." I sweep a piece of hair behind my ear, looking away and feeling something invisible break. I sit on the bench and look up at the boy who hasn't taken his eyes off of me.

"It's true though, you're like, the Madonna of the choir. Everyone stops and stares when you sing..." He breathes, almost like he's thinking carefully of what to say next. However, he shakes his head. "It's like the world stops to listen to hear you."

To put things simply, I'm utterly stunned at what he said. So stunned that I'm at a loss of words, not in the usual way where I'm afraid to speak, but because I felt how much he meant what he said. How could I top that without being awkward? Oh yeah, you're singing voice really moves me too.

Baekhyun looks over to see that my bus was on it's way to the stop. I silently thank whatever god is listening to me that had decided to stop playing with me. I stand, breathing hard because surprisingly, I was winded. The little organ in my chest won't rest and I can feel my cheeks beginning to hurt from smiling so hard.

"Oh, before you go, can I get your number?" Baekhyun asks, acting as if this is the first time he's asked a girl for her phone number.

I struggle to get my phone. My brain was fried and things were hazy. I finally found my device and handed it to him, "H-here." He hands me his own and I place my number, nothing spectacular. Just my name and number.

He wastes no time to enter his number and taking a quick selfie to put in as his contact. He returns my phone with a smile, the apple of his cheeks reflecting off of the sunlight. "I'll text you later, get home safely." I greet him goodbye before climbing onto the bus. I take my seat and wave at him until the bus has driven far enough to where I can't see him anymore.

I feel good, better than I've ever felt before in my life I would say. I call the first person I think should hear about this.

"Joy," I sigh. "I have so much to tell you."

"Love is in the air today, don't you guys think?" Joy said, walking with me arm and arm into the practice room. I nudge her, hoping she would shut up, but with the news I told her of Baekhyun and I's little chat, she'll be teasing me for a while. Taemin had offered to help choreograph and small routine for Baekhyun and I, but I feel hopeless knowing that I have two left feet and both of us are probably going to leave here frustrated. Every one was here already in the small studio, Baekhyun was playing on his phone, Chanyeol was listening to something through his ear phones, Kai and Sehun were sleeping against one another. Taemin was in front of the large mirrors practicing something, which I assume is the dance that he's going to be teaching us.

Chanyeol looks up to Joy and his chin up at her. "I can feel the love, can you Baekhyun?" The tall male asks in a sing song sort of way. Baekhyun gives him a weird look and shrugs his shoulders. 

I groan. "Let's just get this over with." I place my bag against a wall, mentally preparing myself for this lesson. 

Taemin chuckles, stopping his movements. "Someone's excited." He comments, taking a sip from his water bottle. 

I shoot him an apologetic smile. "I'm not much of a dancer to be honest with you, I'm a good student, but you may get angry with me." 

"It's nothing but a few moves, you'll pick it up I'm sure." 

I nod. I clap my hands together. "Shall we start then?" 

"Yes!" Joy chimes in, running over to Baekhyun, looming over the sitting boy. He cranes his neck to see Joy who has her hand stretched out to him. He looks confused, but takes it anyway. 

"What are we..." He starts, but Joy cuts him off to explain. 

"I and my friend Seulgi are going to be teaching you the female part of the dance, Taemin is going to teach her the male part. It's going to be a partner dance!" The girl squeals, and I envy her excitement because I can't feel anything but fear. I really wish she would let me know about her plans before throwing me into them. "Then, when we're finished teaching you, the both of you will rehearse a few times in front of us!" 

I glance at Baekhyun, expecting him to look as put off as I am, but he looks at me with a smile on his face. "It seems exciting, I wasn't expecting you guys to go all out like this." 

"Well," Chanyeol starts. "It is our final year together," My breath hitches. That's right, this is our final year together, I may not even see some of these people in this room right now again. "We might as well finish off with a bang." Chanyeol says 'Bang' so loud it startles Jongin out of his sleep, causing him to stir and pout, cuddling back into Sehun. 

"I agree," Taemin interjets. "Now, we've got stuff to do, Jongin, Sehun and I still have our own showcase to put together." As Taemin is saying this, Joy is pulling Baekhyun at the door. The boy waves at me as the door clicks shut behind him. I am left with Baekhyun's group of friends, and I feel a bit uncomfortable. At least there's Chanyeol here. 

In my midst of thought, I feel a pair of hands slide around my waist. I jump forward and whip around to see Taemin with an innocent smile on his face. "You should get used to that, Baekhyun is going to be touching you on stage, you can't spazz out." 

I scoff. "You caught me by surprise." 

He bobs his shoulders, "Fair enough," He leaves his hand out. "I'll show you, it's really simple. Chanyeol," The male looks up with wide eyes at the mention of his name. "Music please." Taemin comes back in a position, looking down at me and holding his hands gently around my waist this time. I clear my throat, still not use to being touched like this. As soon as the song starts playing, he tightens his grip, bringing my back against his chest. "You'll start the song like this, stay relaxed and stay loose." 

I calm my nerves and take a deep breath, feeling a bit better as I hum the melody of the song. By this time, Kai and Sehun have woken up, staring at Taemin instructing me. I was proud of myself, I only tripped twice, but for the most part I was smooth enough. 

"Alright, let's take a break." Taemin called, letting me finally plop down and massage my poor muscles. I wasn't used to moving like that. While I was sweating quite a bit, Taemin barely look phased. He can't be human. As I sat down and cooled myself off, Kai asks me a question. 

"I guess this works out really well, doesn't it?" 

I tilt my head, not following him on what he means. "I'm sorry?" 

Kai, still sleepy and rubbing his eyes, yawns and says, "That you're doing this with Baekhyun, it works out well huh?" 

My eyelids flutter and my cheeks suddenly blush. I sigh, letting my face drop in my hands. "Please don't tell me that Joy told me about..."

"Your crush on our short friend?" Chanyeol asks, well, more likes states. He nods. "She did, but she also told us not to tell you that she told us." 

Taemin shakes his head. "You're just a tree Chanyeol, we can't help being the average height." He turns to me now. "I think it's cute, I'm happy to help, Baekhyun is head over heels, you should hear how he goes on and on-"

"Yah!" Chanyeol puts his fingers to his lips, stopping Taemin from saying anything more. However instead of looking guilty, he raises his hands up as if he didn't do anything but stating the obvious. 

"He likes me?" I say, my hand over my rapidly beating heart. Chanyeol sends daggers towards Taemin, but nonetheless sighs and says, 

"Yes, he does, but he didn't want anyone to know except for us. Especially not you, but we felt bad, we wanted to get you two closer before graduation." 

"It was pretty obvious to the rest of us, but you two are so oblivious towards each other it's laughable." Sehun adds, earning a smack from Kai. 

I can't wipe the smile on my face, no matter how hard I try I can't erase the goofy look on my face. He likes me. I stand, not knowing what else to do but move around to express my joy. It wasn't like I was going to find Baekhyun right now and actually do something about this. I lift Taemin up, getting in the position to start. "Chanyeol, music." I demand, still smiling too hard to look normal. 

The music begins and so does our dance and although Taemin is quite handsome, I can't help but to imagine Baekhyun. My heart thumps in my chest so much to the point where I feel like it's going to burst into a billion different pieces. For some reason, I finish this dance flawlessly, not tripping up once. We must've danced the entire song three times before I finally came down from my high. While the rest of the boys were clapping, the door opened with Joy and Baekhyun entering. 

Joy pushes the tired looking boy forward towards me. "You two, dance one time just for us to see." She demands. 

I swallow hard and walk to meet Baekhyun and hold my arms on his shoulders, jumping a little when he wraps his arms around my waist. I look into his eyes, being the most nervous I've ever been. He smiles, a smile that gives me a sense of comfort. "Ready?" He whispered. I nod, letting my lips lift just the slightest. "I'm ready." 

Still looking at me, Baekhyun calls, "Chanyeol, music." When the music starts, I imagine that no one else is here but the two of us in our own little world. I stumble a bit in the first move, but Baekhyun catches me and we continue. I move in a bit closer to his body than I had done with Taemin and I feel him squeeze my waist tighter than before. We finish the dance, mouthing our parts flawlessly. Reality falls upon us and I hear our friends clapping for us and cheering for us loudly. As I pant and smile to thank them, I can't help but to look at Baekhyun only. 

 

Time flew by so quickly that I didn't even realize that today was the festival until Joy came by early to my house for us to take the bus together. She couldn't stop talking or moving her hands in weird motions as she was imagining how great the show was going to be. Truth be told, I was really excited too. As we were on the bus my mind wandered to how Baekhyun and I were going to be on stage together. It made my heart leap and do turns and twists like a gymnast would. 

"I'll do your makeup and hair, so no need to worry about that." Joy mentions, slinging her bag onto the back of her chair. 

I roll my eyes. "Do you have my outfit picked out too, Miss Stylist?" 

Joy blinks. "Duh, I thought that was pretty obvious already." My mouth hangs as she says that so casually. She really did go all out. I'm almost sure it's something in her closet that she wants a charity case like me to wear, but the thought was really sweet. 

"Anyway," She continues. "Let's meet after school so we can get you all dolled up. Then we can come back here and have on final rehearsal." 

I nod. "Got it." 

Class went on as normal, but nothing really happened since our teachers were being laid back the entire day. Of course they gave us some material to work on, but I don't think anyone in the class even got halfway done through the assignment. Some students had brought their desks into a circle just for them to talk, and that's exactly what Joy, Taemin, Kai, Chanyeol, and Sehun did. 

Chanyeol slung his shoulder over Joy, which I found surprising because she didn't push him off. She actually leaned into him. "So, is everyone ready for tonight?" We all hum. The giant looks to me. "What about you, starlet?"  

I shake my head at the new nickname. I've been given all sorts of names throughtout our rehearsals, but this is the first time I'm hearing him call me this. "I'm really excited, I can't wait until this day finally over. I'm more excited to see those three perform more than anything else." I my head to the trio in front of me. Taemin looks proud and Jongin can't help but to smile. Sehun, silent as always, nods his head in an approving way. "Thanks to our producer here, we have a great song to sing." I add. 

Chanyeol shrugs in an abashed manner which cracks me up. At least he knows he's good. 

Not long after we spoke about the festival, the bell signaled for the next class. We all put our desks back to there original places and told each other we'd see one another after school had ended. For the rest of the day I spent most of my time looking at the clock to see the time and it seems like the gods were on my side today. School ended soon and for the first time, I was the first to rush out of class which surprised some of the students around me. 

I was waiting for Joy at the entrance of the school. "You're here before me?" She exclaims, out of breath. 

I tilt my head. "Were you running?"

"I was looking for you! This was the last place I was expecting you to be." Joy groans, letting her hands fall on her knees. She catches her breath and grabs me. "Let's get going diva, we've got some work to do. 

Joy had fitted me in a red dress that was skin tight. It fit nicely, but she felt like she should add more. She added a beret hat and an ascot around my neck, matched with a pair of thigh high boots. Joy had done my hair in waves, added her usual makeup, all of this shocking me because I truly looked like one of the idols I spend my time watching on YouTube. Once she was finished getting me ready, she stepped back with a proud smile, admiring her work. 

"You look pretty, super pretty, like Baekhyun will confess his undying love to you the moment he sees you." There it was again. My face dropped again and I smack her arm. 

"You live to kill the moment, don't you?" I asked as she whined, rubbing the sore spot on her arm. 

"Since when did you become so violent?" She pouts. I don't answer her but only sigh as I check my phone. Chanyeol had texted me. 

from: giant

we're all ready, come now!

My heart began to beat rapidly. I turn to Joy and nod my head once. "Let's get going, Chanyeol wants us there now." 

At that we had left Joy's house and took a taxi to the school instead of the bus. We were running a little late and I could hear Chanyeol roasting us right now. Some kids had stayed after and some did double takes upon inspection of me. 

"Fighting!" I heard some of them call. I felt a bit like a celebrity, I'm still the awkward me, but it felt nice to have encouragement of my peers. Joy and I had finally reached the practice room and opened the door to see everyone dressed in their best outfits. Taemin, Kai, and Sehun were matching. Chanyeol looked nice too, except he kind of reminded me of a paper boy from the 1920s. Baekhyun was looking at something on his phone, but he looked the most handsome of them all. His hair was styled up and out of his face, letting his features show even more and his suit molded to him perfectly. 

"Hey guys!" Joy called, running to give everyone hugs. Luckily she hugged Chanyeol first and he was too busy complimenting her to really worry about scolding us for being late, which I was really grateful for. The rest of the boys looked at her and smiled, returning her hugs, then all eyes fell on me. Hoots and hollers they knew would make me blush sounded. I lifted my shoulders and made my rounds to say hello to all of them as well. When I reached Baekhyun, he looked at me with his mouth slightly handing open. 

I giggled, using my fingers to gently close it for him. His cheeks went red. "You look....really pretty." He breathed. I smiled, feeling myself a little bit more than usual. I fixed his little bow tie. 

"You don't look so bad yourself." I said back. I turn away from him and walk into the middle of the room. "Shall we practice a little, nothing too crazy, Joy will kill me if I sweat any of this makeup off." At the mention of her name, she looks up and confirms what I say with a blank (and empty) glare. Baekhyun doesn't say a word, he walks forward and goes into his position. Even without the music we're on time and in sync, probably because we're humming our parts as we move. We practiced a few more times before We began hearing cars and people pulling up to watch the event tonight. In no time, the first performance was up. 

Baekhyun and I were performing last, so I decided to watch everyone who's going first. The stage set up was nothing too fancy, but it was nice enough to make an impact. I don't think I've ever seen so many girls fawn over boys from our school. I cheered the trio on, shocked that they managed to put on such a good show even though they were helping me. Their song ended, causing many of the girls in the crowd to whine and cheer for an encore. 

The boys came off stage after thanking the crowd. I clapped and hugged them each, telling them they all did well. Next up was Joy and a couple of her friends. About half way through her performance, I left a little early to head back to the practice room. I found Baekhyun there alone, shadow dancing with head buds in his ear. When he turned around and saw me watching, he screamed, grabbing his chest and cursing out of fright. 

"You seem to have everything down, why are you still practicing? You'll tire yourself out." I asked, fixing some of his hair in it's original state I found it in when I saw him earlier. Baekhyun swallows hard, gently holding my wrist. 

He opens his mouth. "I....I want to say..."

I blink, a little worried because he looks sick. "What's wrong, Baekhyun?" 

He clears his throat. "I..um wanted to say-" Before he could get his words out, Chanyeol came bursting into the room. 

"You two! Let's get going, now!" I wanted to ask Baekhyun what it was that he wanted to say, but Chanyeol was busy dragging us out of the room. We hurried to the stage just in time for the last act to come off. I swallowed the fear that was creeping up in my throat and looked at Baekhyun, he looked just as worried as me. He took my hand and squeezed it. The MC of the night introduced us and we walked on stage together. 

From there on it was a blur. The song started and things went just as planned. I didn't trip or forget the words. Though something was different. I was singing the song sincerely with someone special on my mind. Baekhyun sang his parts and I had to remind myself not to miss my part. I heard the crowd coo in awe as we danced to the choreography Taemin had made for the two of us. Just as we were practicing, I forgot that we were in front of a crowd. The song ends with our final notes mixing together to create a beautiful harmony. 

The audience yelled and cheered, but Baekhyun and I remained in the ending pose, him holding my waist and my arms wrapped around his neck. I looked at his eyes and then his lips, the next thing coming over me seeming to happen without my minds consent. 

I kissed him. A simple delicate kiss which made everyone else in the crowd lose their minds. From the side I could see our friends with a more than surprised expression, they looked shaken. We leave the stage with embarrassed looks plastered on our faces. When we met Joy and the rest of the boys, we were flooded with praise and adoration. 

"That was the cutest thing I've ever seen!" Joy wept, pulling me so hard into a hug I couldn't breathe. The boys clapped Baekhyun's shoulder, being rough like most boys are. Instead of Chanyeol, who was crying just like Joy is. "Love is in the air," He sniffed, wiping his nose and trying to bring us all into a group hug. "Love is in the air!" 

"Hey, troublemaker 2.0, I'm going to get us some food. You want anything special?" Joy says to me, walking us into the row of little shops set up outside the school. Fireworks were starting in a bit, and I had wanted to get some good seats before I couldn't find anymore. 

I shake my head. "No, I'm going to go find a spot. Text me when you finish looting the place." I tease, earning a glare from Joy. We go our separate ways and I end up finding a spot close enough to where I can see where they're actually keeping the fireworks that will soon be lit. Other people are laid out on their blankets waiting for the show to start. I stand with my arms crossed over my chest. I smile fondly, this night replaying over in my mind like a record. 

I feel someone nudge me just a bit. I was about to excuse myself until I saw that it was Baekhyun. I immediately blush, turning away so he doesn't have to see the ugly red on my face. "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking earlier." 

I hear Baekhyun sigh and prepare for the worst. "You beat me to it, I was going to do it first, I just wasn't sure when." 

I look up then, "Wait so in the practice room you-" Instead of answering my question, he presses his lips to mine as a way to answer me. I melt into him, pulling away with a long breath to follow. "I really thought that this year was going to be the end of me seeing you again." 

Baekhyun raises his eyebrow. "What made you think that. I was planning to ask you out at graduation anyway." He chuckles, moving a piece of hair away from my face. "I wasn't going to let you go that easily." 

The fireworks start then, beautiful colors popping in the sky, illuminating Baekhyun's face. I let out a content sigh. I stand on my toes and kiss his nose. "I'm glad things turned out this way then." We stand in each other's own company before our other friends join as well. We watch the fireworks together and while doing so, The smile on my face grows bigger. All my worries from before are gone. We'll all see each other, even after graduation is over. 

Without having to say it out loud, this is something I'm never going to let go of. 


A/N: im sorry if this is bad....im really still not feeling like myself and im really struggling. i hope that you guys liked this as my first piece since taking a hiatus. im sorry its not the best seeing how things suddenly went so badly. um...yeah let me know what you guys think. thanks for being so patient and understanding. love you all. 

EDIT: with the news of jonghyuns death i am really having a hard time. i hope i can smile, for his sake. i hope i can get better for his sake. i hope he can feel my love because thats all i can give him now. i... but anyway, things are hard with this news. i think i might want to write a piece for him. i think it'll help me to cope